rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

ROLLO on tour
Glos go for Hybrid
ROLLO (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 16:29
A new £1 million pitch is to be installed at Kingsholm. CEO Stephen Vaughan said that commercially an artificial pitch would have been better, but after extensive investigation and discussion with teams, players , conditioning and medical staff it was decided that the Hybrid , similar to that installed at Welford Road , was preferable.
They seem to be putting the rugby first.

Villages12
Re: Glos go for Hybrid
Villages12 (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 16:34
Maybe they have statistics on injuries also ?

I know there are not supposed to be any statistics on this but as far as I know there is also nothing to say it doesn't cause injuries.

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 20:49
Isnít HQ hybrid too?

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
05 December, 2017 22:17
And Bristol

JP

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
06 December, 2017 09:26
Good to see that Tigers and Briz have had so few injuries this season with their hybrid pitches....oh hold on?

The driver for Glaws has been the abysmal condition of their turf variant due to drainage.

I hope their pitch works out for them.

More clubs will tear up their turf in due course.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 08:26
I'm not aware of our players all damaging knees and ankles. American football had to get rid of their artificial surfaces due to such injuries as players legs snapping, not to mention the joint problems. They had the old fashioned surfaces, though. It appears the new stuff is better.

Grass will always feel better, but only when it's in it's best condition. All other times, I'd have rather played on the Sixways plastic. Remember the games with surface water? What about the rock hard icy days? The end of the season when the soil was baked hard? Enjoy landing on that?

Some people forget that grass pitches are not always in perfect nick.

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 08:49
I once played on a pitch that was basically the Somme in the 22s.

So the game devolved to a sort of grim trudge away from the middle third. The other team (Dixonians I believe) decided to have a pop at the posts half way through the second half and won 3-0

Classic stuff

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 14:05
Halcyon days.

It's the icy rock hard pitches I remember. When we used to sit in the changing room just praying the referee would call the game off. Your studs wouldn't sink into the turf and you just hoped you landed on grass as the bare bits of mud could cut you to shreds (I was a back, we travelled faster than the forwards).

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 06:15
Desso starting to look far less attractive given the "Cabbage patch" appearance of HQ for the autumn internationals.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 07:13
Was that post-NFL games?

BrumBrum
BrumBrum (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 07:30
Would hate to see a return to grass pitches.
The game is faster and I believe the scrum collapses a lot less than it did on grass.
As for Glos, it's about time they got rid of their old pitch which in today's professional game was a disgrace. All ways thought it was a deliberate ploy to get an advantage.

Believe we are yet to see the full extent of the additional use of the new pitch for other events which hopefully will bring in additional income.
If the change brings in an additional £100-200k that could be the difference between a quality 10 or average 10.

Worse pitch I ever played on had a mini lake in the centre of the pitch.
Happened anytime we had a day or two of rain.
At restarts the ref gave us the option of kicking 5m into our own half to avoid the water which was ankle deep.
Oh the good old days of rugby, no wonder so many kids were put off the game.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 09:15
Played at Clee Hill for Stourport.
Playing on a not to favourable gradient with lumps all over pitch.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 09:26
I recall Ted Jnr playing at Cleobury (same pitch?) for Kiddie Carolians Colts.

You could see the storm arriving from the Brecons, and the post protectors were straw bales.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 09:32
Just occurred to me that todayís weather may well present a test for our surface, for those outside the county itís snowing lightly here, and looking like sticking. BBC says it will continue more or less the same all day and into Fri night.

Wonder if theyíll water the pitch!

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 09:58
Stopped now with bright sunshine!!

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 21:44
British weather eh?!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net