rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
usa warrior
DOR News
usa warrior (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 19:53
Geoff Berkeley tweeting to look at the WN tomorrow morning for some news about the DOR appointment.

Letís see what heís discovered!

Warriors23
Re: DOR News
Warriors23 (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 20:23
Quote:
usa warrior
Geoff Berkeley tweeting to look at the WN tomorrow morning for some news about the DOR appointment.
Alan Solomons

MESSAGES->author
Teme Dream (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 20:30
Alan Solomons would be most uninspiring. I hope you're wrong.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
07 December, 2017 21:54
Would make sense given BBís encouraging sounds for AS to apply. However not sure how this fits with club sale timeline issued as an exclusive today.

Feels just like an exciting Christmas Eve.....

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 05:51
AS doesn't sound like one being considered to me.

[www.worcesternews.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 07:50
Im surprised new owners dont want to choose

MESSAGES->author
Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 08:00
Perhaps they have had some input.

What I am surprised about is that there has been total radio silence. No leaks or heavy hints etc.. Quite intrigued now..

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 08:04
I agree the new owners would want input surely, so either new ownership is pretty much sorted behind the scenes or the list isnít going to be quite as handsome as we are told, as surely any DOR would know there is a huge risk of being appointed then being told by the new owner that they want their own man.

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 08:06
Reading between the lines - the deal for an owner is in the due diligence phases

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 08:16
maybe the buyers are more business type guys who are trusting the more experienced "rugby" types to select the Director of "Rugby" and they will have a much bigger say on the CEO and off field personnel

JP

MESSAGES->author
Teme Dream (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 08:38
I live near the ground so I presume my application is being considered carefully.

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 08:41
Ah, I see "rugby" has transcended into the wholly conceptual

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 09:44
The latest article appears to be no more than a myriad on generalisations. I am sure Mr Berkeley is trying his best to illicit details.

A list of 30, but they need to live near the club. Interesting that this has been stated for a DoR, but not for players, unless of course, near the club means within an hour commute , North, South, East or West of Sixways?

I'm intrigued, but not trying to let the imagination get too carried away.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 09:56
DR did stipulate that for players and I suspect that rule is still in effect.

woodywuss
woodywuss (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 09:58
Well it won't be Georgian Murphy. Rumours he's off to Cardiff Blues.

woodywuss
woodywuss (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 09:59
Sorry,just made him Russian-ish.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 09:59
It's more or less what BB said a while ago now - that there was genuine interest from a good quality field in becoming D of R at Worcester.

I can't help but think that announcements about ownership and D of R will come more or less in tandem - and this side of Christmas.

If the potential new owners do have ambition - that dreaded word which is so often heard in soccer - then one would expect a serious appointment with a good "pedigree".

But we have waited a while now - a few more days of patience won't hurt.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 10:14
What has surprised me is the total absence of any leaks, informed or otherwise on both DoR and ownership. Very tight security , or there is not much concrete to go on.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 12:03
No problem with confidentiality over both issues, but it has taken a while longer than might have been liked to get even the latest snippets. Yes, i get if there is no real news this doesn't make for an interesting read, but it does help with keeping interested parties in the circle of information, about things progressing.

Over key issues such as these, i would hope that this would not be considered unreasonable.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 13:04
Well, I'm looking forward to the announcement of Andy Robinson as our new DoR.

BishBash
BishBash (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 13:10
Isn't it our turn for Sam Allardyce?

gmem
Garym (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 13:26
Quote:
BishBash
Isn't it our turn for Sam Allardyce?

As an Everton fan I would be quite happy to see the back,of the crook, but not to us

gmem
Garym (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 13:29
Quote:
FlipFlop
No problem with confidentiality over both issues, but it has taken a while longer than might have been liked to get even the latest snippets. Yes, i get if there is no real news this doesn't make for an interesting read, but it does help with keeping interested parties in the circle of information, about things progressing.
Over key issues such as these, i would hope that this would not be considered unreasonable.

Having spent a lifetime in MAD projects (and other secret squirrel projects) I would not include fans as interested parties in something like this

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 14:26
Garym,

To some extent, confidentiality has to be maintained. I do get that. However, as an ST or Deb holder, and in the most literal way, we are the income stream for the club, and therefore an interested party.

No we can't stop who the club owners sell to, or who is appointed DoR and are impotent in that regard, but supporters will ebb and flow as a result of the developments off field, and even if the information was quasi 'holding' information that the process is underway, going as planned etc etc, it would be better than blanket silence which has accompanied both of these matters.

I don't expect minute by minute news, but i do think we have some entitlement to more update from the club than has occurred until the last day or two.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 14:35
I think Andy Farrell would be a good shout. Young,great experience in international rugby with England and Ireland and a very very good coach who is well respected. Iíd like him

northstand warrior
northstand warrior (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 14:39
AJ, oh wise one, do you know something?

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 14:41
Quote:
FlipFlop

I don't expect minute by minute news, but i do think we have some entitlement to more update from the club than has occurred until the last day or two.

Sorry this is mad we supporters are not entitled to any information in relation to the takeover until it happens. All it could take is for one supporter to leak any information that you believe we are entitled to end the chances of a takeover. Most parties interested in buying the club would have signed an NDA anyhow and with the club using external consultants based in London it has allowed the club to remain tight lipped over without anything slipping out. The fact we have heard so little until recently to me has been good news, if the club had been banging on about looking for new investment loudly I would have assumed little has been achieved the fact we have had almost silence says to me that the club has been working hard with potential partners.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 15:09
WBW,

I don't expect to be told the intimate details of any deal and am aware that NDA's and similar will be in place.

However, the closing dates for bids and applications with different for the purchase and DoR matters, and were tucked away in articles. Then nothing for weeks except conjecture on here.

I don't expect to be told, Document X is now signed, now the Due Diligence, and then.....

But i would have hoped for some detail that 'stuff' was taking place and proceeding as planned, but apparently you (maybe others too) think i'm asking too much.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 15:11
Shaun Edwards stepping out of Gatland' shadow, might be another name.

If AJ is close to a name in Farrell, if he could persuade Owen to move to us, it would help the 10 position....we'll for 10 games a season anyway(Sm163)

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 15:27
If Iím honest he is a name Iíve heard thatís high on the list,but nothing more. Heís one of a fair few pretty well known names,but on a personal level Iíd think he would be a perfect fit. Heís young and a great coach. He would have very good pulling power in terms of recruitment in my opinion too.

B-road
08 December, 2017 15:29
Quote:
Fiver
Well, I'm looking forward to the announcement of Andy Robinson as our new DoR.

Oh no.

They wouldn't would they ?

yellow450
Yeller (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 15:34
Quote:
usa warrior

The answer to the question posed above is very little.

northstand warrior
northstand warrior (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 15:36
Thanks AJ

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 16:36
Quote:
AJWarriors
If Iím honest he is a name Iíve heard thatís high on the list,but nothing more. Heís one of a fair few pretty well known names,but on a personal level Iíd think he would be a perfect fit. Heís young and a great coach. He would have very good pulling power in terms of recruitment in my opinion too.

This does give some credence to what has been said by BB and CD as to the quality of applications received.

If indeed a D of R of this ilk was to be appointed it would certainly debunk the cynicism of some of us - myself included - who might have asked:why on earth would he want to come here?

BrumBrum
BrumBrum (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 16:44
Farrell would be a good appointment in my opinion.
But there are a lot out there that would also be just as good.
Think we have a lot to offer & actually surprised by those that think we don't.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 18:20
Farrell, for me, will forever be tainted by being part of the worst coaching team in England world cup history.

tricky-page
tricky-page (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 20:42
How about Steve Borthwick. He would fit the position easily.

Whispering_Death
08 December, 2017 21:25
Heís also made a huge impact to Irelandís defence and the Lions. Heís a very respected coach and individual from what Iíve read and perhaps looking for his first DOR role. I for one will be incredibly surprised, and thrilled, to get someone like him.

Old 7
Old 7 (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 21:49
But do we want (or need) a coaching or administrative DOR as mentioned in an article this week? I'm guessing after Dean Ryan and Gary Gold the club are looking for an administrator but the opposite wouldn't surprise me.

Was Richard Hill our last coaching DOR? Not great success there.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
08 December, 2017 22:22
Richard Hill wasn't a DOR; he was Head Coach

Old 7
Old 7 (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 07:14
Good point Patgadd, would it have made a difference if he was DOR?

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 07:51
Quote:
Whispering_Death
Heís also made a huge impact to Irelandís defence and the Lions. Heís a very respected coach and individual from what Iíve read and perhaps looking for his first DOR role. I for one will be incredibly surprised, and thrilled, to get someone like him.

He might be a good defensive coach, but he might turn out to be a terrible DOR, also there were several reports from England players that he was a disruptive element.

Whispering_Death
09 December, 2017 08:15
Thatís interesting I havenít seen any of those reports. Personally Iíd like to see an up and coming DOR or Head Coach, but youíre right thatís a risk. Iíd take him personally, not that itís going to happen.

J6/7
J6/7 (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 10:08
Andy Farrell may have been part of the worst coaching team the England side has ever experienced but we are not England... how about comparing his experience with one of the very top Premier clubs, after all, we are presently a Premier club! More appropriate comparison in my view. If only is all I can say - most unlikely is what I think.

As to the difference between head coach & DOR, if there is only one or the other, there is no difference from my perspective!

BrumBrum
BrumBrum (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 10:26
The reason that I would be happy with Farrell is that he is young dynamic & well rated by many with way more knowledge than I have.
Don't want an ageing journey man, the rugby equivalent of Allardyce like Robinson.
Must agree with some, if the club is very close to being sold, would make sure the new team approve of the appointment. Thus I assume they are.
But time will tell, hopefully. Would be nice to know before Christmas.

just got into rugby
Big Bird Warrior (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 10:45
Paul O'connell turns down coaching roll with Leicester, according to Twitter. (Not sure how much coaching he has done since retirement?)

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 11:17
Quote:
J6/7
Andy Farrell may have been part of the worst coaching team the England side has ever experienced but we are not England... how about comparing his experience with one of the very top Premier clubs, after all, we are presently a Premier club! More appropriate comparison in my view. If only is all I can say - most unlikely is what I think.
As to the difference between head coach & DOR, if there is only one or the other, there is no difference from my perspective!

Ok, one season as a skills coach and one as a first team coach for the richest club in England under a very experienced DOR.

Don't get me wrong, he might be brilliant stepping up but I think it would be a risk and we'd still someone to support him.

I do agree he would be preferable to Andy Robinson however.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 12:45
Reggie would be preferable to Andy Robinson.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 20:33
Cardiff Blues in talks with Geordan Murphy.
He's not coming here then!
Unless he is an option and Mr Murphy is keeping his choices open?

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 21:45
Is Murphy more experienced than Farrell? Iíd say not.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 21:56
Toby Booth is one name being put forward although I seem to remember that he refused an opportunity for the Cardiff job.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 01:24
Lee Blackett?
But are we getting DOR confused with Head Coaches?

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 07:15
John Plumtree or Chris Stirling according to the RP.

Vesty possibly Head Coach.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 07:54
Quote:
usa warrior
Do you go out really early to get the paper edition or do you read TRP online?!

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 08:00
If Murphy is off from Tigers I canít see that Tigers would not have tried to speak with SV in recent times.

With no news on Hogg, also think he may have decided to move away. Maybe DR has a development role at RFU for him?

Off to Wiki the last few names above as I confess they are not Ďhouseholdí to me.

MESSAGES->author
10 December, 2017 08:19
Someone said there was some ďnewsĒ on our new DoR in TRP?

I know it is not too reliable but anyone know what was written?

JP

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 08:52
Quote:
usa warrior

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 09:04
See new thread, ďSRUĒ

Essentially TRP headline says

ďScots back in pole for takeover of WorcesterĒ.

Also references ďfailed bidĒ by Jed McCrory, former Swindon Town FC Chairman.

States also that ďSRU declined to commentĒ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2017 09:09 by TeflonTed.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 09:19
Second piece by Fissler refers to Chris Stirling, former Cornish Pirates High Performance Manager, as ďin the runningĒ for DoR.

Stirling is currently HP manager at The Hurricanes in NZ, but is ď keen onĒ the Worcester role. He was at CP for 3 years up to 2012 according to NF.

Fissler also brings in John Plumtree, of whom he says ď Plumber (sic) is widely seen as the mastermind of Irelandís Six Nations success under Joe SchmidtĒ.

Iíll bet Joe Schmidt is ever so grateful, and how nice to see that mis-spelling of peoplesí names doesnít just happen on here.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 09:26
Plumtree for me then if thatís the two that are in the running based on his CV and the players heís probably worked with. Seems like he has some pretty good Southern and Northern Hemisphere connections too. I like the idea of Sam Vesty becoming head coach too.

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 09:42
Big difference these days between head coach and dor. Wasn't Hill the last where instead of calling him dor we removed the job and made him head coach . and then we had no dor for a while under Jim and then we did again. Dor these days needs the gravitas and the stoney face. A. Farrell would only fit the head coach in my opinion and would only be a moderate choice - tough but a league brain

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 10:02
Do like the idea of someone new though, especially with added Australia or sa experience - how many of our players are from overseas and how many from sa or soon to be Australia maybe

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 10:07
Centre both Plumtree and Stirling are New Zealanderís. Plumtree has working in SA with Goodey at the Sharks though,but both are currently at the Canes in NZ.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 10:11
I like the set up Gloucester have. Humphries doesn't seem the type to scare people, however he now has the giant figure of Ackerman to scare the whatsit out of the players. It seems to work at the moment.

I think you need a tactical thinker, and an enforcer. Ackerman clearly knows the game from a nuts and bolts perspective, as every good big forward should do. Humphries is more of a tactical guy, hence he played at 10. In combination they have a team who can either choose to smash a door down, or pick the lock instead.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2017 10:11 by Fiver.

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 10:14
Sounds all a bit single source then, or is it double cream. Now rather expect that we are looking at both positions,but hope Sam weathers the storm for another season

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 10:20
The best Dors/Head Coaches in my view have that look in their eye that you could be in real trouble if you don't put in a good performance. Cockers always looks ready to blow, Mark McCall has a glint of something nasty could happen, even Baxter has a touch of it, linked to him being a club legend you know you'd come off second best. Several Glaws players have openly said they're scared of Ackerman. I don't know if any of the big Warriors are scared of Hogg, they may well have been scared of Dean.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 10:22
This article puts a little bit out doubt on Plumtree as itís sounds similar to the GG situation. [www.nzherald.co.nz]

Heís obviously highly regarded but as Cecil said we are looking for long term. Iíd much prefer Farrell if he was in the running so Iím happy to wait and see on this one.

TRP contradicts what Cecil said about the takeover and new DoR a little bit and heís bound to know more but you never know with us

Warrior7
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 14:46
Plumtree would be a dream choice, he has been outstanding everywhere he goes - the real reason behind the recent success of the Hurricanes. (They've always had world class players).

LiveInHope
LiveInHope (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 15:30
Longtime since I have posted, but thought what the hell.
By the way I'm one of these selfish b#######ds who got a ticket parking on the verge.
It's amazing so many people seem to have seen numerous disabled wheelchair users unable make their way up that street because of parked cars. Not saying it's not true, but in 5 years of parking there I have never seen a disable wheelchair user, never mind one unable to move past one of these selfish Bs...funny that.
Will happily pay the £35 fine as know I'm in the wrong, but think it's a bit wrong it's only on match days and doubt it really effects anyone.
Have seen a lot worse & no one seems to bother about the burger van, even although it's blocks the entrance of the path on double yellows.

Anyway back to why I'm posting.
Have been told by a Kiwi with very, very good rugby & UK knowledge, that if true, either Plumtree & Stirling would be excellent choices for Warriors. Both are quality & great guys.

Also an old school friend who is a reporter (non sports) for a national quality newspaper, believes if SRU are involved in some consortium it will be as a very minor informal member.
He has found nothing of substance behind it. The SRU focus is to develop & fund 6-8 semi-pro teams below their 2 regional teams. He believes it's sloppy reporting taking 1/2 truths to start controversial rumours to stir up interest, even if they know it's not true. Apparently that's what reporting is all about these days.
When the SRU were at Warriors a few months back, they also visited Bath, Sale & Northampton. It was part of the SRU's attempt to ID players with a Scottish connectionN & build relationships with clubs.
Apparently it's common for the SRU to give a 'no comment' response to any enquiry unless it's an approved response about a subject they think is important.
Thus the fact that they gave a no comment means nothing.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 15:42
Welcome back, LiH. your comments are always worth reading, and the forum is a better place with you in it. Sorry you got done, along with the hundreds of other who have parked there since Adam was a lad.

MESSAGES->author
Skipper (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 15:50
Quote:
LiveInHope
but think it's a bit wrong it's only on match days and doubt it really effects anyone.

Incorrect, it is not only on match days, I was talking to someone who's son was working at Sixways club for a non rugby event and they parked on the verge and got a ticket.

Glad to see you have returned LiH. Interesting comments re Plumtree and Stirling, just a shame his name isnt Peartree is could of been a match made in heaven. Although the three plums has some legs me thinks.

Offa
Offa (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 16:27
Good to have you back LiH.

Sheldon
Sheldon (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 18:07
I think Plumtree coached Swansea just before the creation of the Ospreys when they had a pretty good team. My recollection is that he was very well regarded

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 18:28
Not sure of the employment position of the two "possibles". I'm wondering if appointing either would free up GG to take up the US job before the end of the season.

Simba
Simba (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 19:05
[www.ruck.co.uk]

Wrong thread

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2017 19:07 by Simba.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 19:11
Not a need to park on the verges generally on non event nights, so folk will presumably avoid the double yellows just as they would do anywhere else, if they need to be in the vicinity.

Probably should have been dealt with years ago. As it has run for so long without action, wonder if some form of implied previous non action defence will be used by some to challenge the fine. Might be some of the commercial businesses who may have decided they have had enough rather than the club?

Warrior7
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 19:12
Well it's pretty close to the start of the Super Rugby season, so they're likely to be with the Hurricanes until June unless we move quickly!

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 20:56
There may well be a vacancy Northampton way if this article is to be believed:-

[www.independent.co.uk]

Might be a more attractive opportunity for some who have applied for the D of R job at Worcester if it came to pass?

Maybe. But as there is no vacancy at FG as yet it's all hypothetical.

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 00:02
Does this say any more? Anyone registered care to cut and paste?

[www.thetimes.co.uk]...
[www.thetimes.co.uk]

Freypal
Freypal (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 07:48
Hmmm that seems to contradict some of the above saying SRU are interested but it's unlikely and that the McCrory bid was initially turned down but they are expecting an improved offer from him.

And if nothing is announced this year then most of the out of contract players will be off as they were promised certainty of the clubs future this year.

What a mess.

worcestawarrior
worcestawarrior (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 08:16
What about Mike Ford. Seemed to be doing alright at Bath until he got caught with his pants down.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 08:16
Here is the Times article in my best copy typing:-

Worcester Warriors will have many of their best players cherry picked by rival clubs if, as seems likely, the club fail to meet a pledge to have a new owner announced by the end of the week.

Warriors have been up for sale all season and they have 21 players out of contract at the end of the season, many of whom have refused to commit longer term to the club because of their uncertainty.

The club will also need a new director of rugby because Gary Gold is leaving for a job with the United States national team.

The players have been told that they would be informed of the new owner by the end of the week. However, the front runner to take over Sixways had an initial offer rejected last week. As previously reported in the TImes, the Scottish Rugby Union has also emerged as a possible owner and though it is understood that the SRU retains an interest, it is along way from having an offer accepted.
Amid all the uncertainty, leading players will be reluctant to extend contracts. There have already been numerous transfer conversations, but, from January 1, rival English clubs will be able to offer contracts formally.

At that point, the likes of Ryan Mills, the utility back, Will Spencer, the lock, and Dean Hammond, the wing, are likely to announce their departure. If Worcester cannot offer certainty or any indication of future ambition, then others are likely to follow.

The favourite to buy the club from the present owner, Greg Allen, is Jed McCrory, the former chairman of Swindon Town Football Club. McCrory has an unimpressive record with several football clubs. It is understood that his priority is to drive football into Sixways and that his interest is in the 51 acres around the club and its potential as a hotel and conference centre.

As reported in the Rugby Paper, McCrory has had an initial takeover bid rejected. However he is now expected to comer back with a better offer.

The SRU interest still remains. The SRU has only two professional clubs in Scotland and it regards Worcester as a potential third project - another site that could be used to develop Scottish platers. The plan is far-fetched, if courageous, in its thinking but extraordinarrily expensive given that Worcester run at a loss of £3-4 million a year.

It is also far from straightforward because it could be vetoed at two levels, first by the RFU, which has the right to block any club ownership of more than 20%. It could also be opposed by European Professional Club Rugby which runs European competition, on account of conflict of interest. The SRU already owns Glasgow and Edinburgh: owning Worcester could lead to obvious problems if the sides were drawn against each other.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2017 08:30 by A38.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 08:29
The Times article:-

There is no good news in the article whatsoever.

Three players are almost certainly off - and the ownership issue far from settled.

Mind you, how accurate the journalist's information is remains to be seen.

But it all sound quite believable.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2017 08:32 by A38.

BrumBrum
BrumBrum (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 08:29
Surely the McCory Bid can't be the bid that Cecil describe as the deep pockets?
I know you can't believe everything what you read but he sounds a right rogue.
For the first time in this whole process I think the club are well and truly in the brown stuff.
Can't see players re-signing unless they can't get a contract else where, can't see us attracting quality new players, and doubt the incoming DOR would be what we want.
Truly, I am worried.

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 09:01
Dave Allen is messing it up, if those articles are to be believed. As A38 says we are well and truly in the @#$%&.

LiveInHope
LiveInHope (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 09:02
If it is, I can't believe McCory is as bad as some are saying.
Believe Cecil is a smart guy, who most definitely has the best interests of the club at heart. Thus can't believe he would give his verbal support to the deal in the WN if he was just some dodgy, wannabe crook.
So fingers crossed it's all good or hopefully Cecil's bid comes through.

Have always thought a hotel at Sixways made sense.
Have used the corporate facilities to hold meeting & such in the past, but gave up as we didnt have the backup support that hotels give you.
Also don't follow football at all, but have always thought it was mad for Worcester City to play their football in Kidderminster or Redditch when Sixways is empty every second week.
Thus it could all make sense, but it doesn't smell right

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 09:07
from the Times article - 'It is understood that his priority is to drive football into Sixways and that his interest is in the 51 acres around the club and its potential as a hotel and conference' Is that a wow! And said to be rejected - I'm in the 'up the creek..' group. Better Greg Allen cancels, Cecil takes on a 6-month holding job and we advertise again in the Spring / Summer when its warm and sunny - as we will still be a Premiership side!

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 09:21
All I can see right now is Greg looking for whoever offers the most cash and as such dragging it out until he gets it, our best players leaving and a second half to the season of absolute dross.

If Cecil does step in then it needs to be a proper ownership, not short term. Short term just puts us in this same position again, but for longer.

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 09:31
Appreciate the thread has crossed over a bit, but never mind, it was probably going to happen at some point.
'over a barrel' now comes to mind. Sadly the DOR and players recruitment are secondary to this, but not all will worry about it, I guess.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 09:39
Quote:
A38

I'm pretty certain I know who the source was, and if I'm right it was somebody who had been speaking to Cecil about it the previous day. Suffice to say I believe it.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 09:52
Hopefully this is why the deal is now off!

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 10:39
It's not looking good, is it?

The ideal situation would be a stable owner and an exciting DoR appointment before January. I don't know anything about how long these sorts of deals take to get sorted but from what is in the press, it seems to me that we don't have the time to get that ideal situation.

Knock on effect will mean players leaving, and potentially stopping them thinking about the Irish game.

The thing I'm clinging to is that because its all been leak proof for so many weeks, that there are wheels in motion that we don't know about.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 10:43
Quote:
Patgadd
Quote:
A38

I'm pretty certain I know who the source was, and if I'm right it was somebody who had been speaking to Cecil about it the previous day. Suffice to say I believe it.

What was Cecilís reaction?

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 11:02
I don't know; my source was horrified, and seemed to imply that Cecil was too, but he might have been crediting Cecil with his own thoughts.

woodywuss
woodywuss (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 11:26
It's going to be an interesting test of backbone and integrity for all those who hold in their hands the future of rugby in Worcester.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 12:26
It seems McCrory would take Warriors and turn them into a rugby version of WCFC. Hope that deal is dead.

I know the players uncertainty would be obvious, but surely the DoR appointment must also be uncertain due to the hokey kokey taking place on bids for the club.

Should have taken Griffiths bid weeks ago.

As each day passes, the club value begins to drop again and if players decide to move on, well, there won't be much left to build on next season.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 13:19
Quote:
Patgadd
I don't know; my source was horrified, and seemed to imply that Cecil was too, but he might have been crediting Cecil with his own thoughts.

Well I certainly hope he was, but surely the first thing you do is Google the perspective buyer, don't you!?! Anyone could find out that this guy is would be a horror show.

MESSAGES->author
11 December, 2017 13:27
Isn't that the clubs employs solicitors and business/financial advisors.

JP

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 14:09
You'd hope so!

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 14:29
Due diligence looks into certain matters relating to the business being purchased by the acquirers to make sure that the value being asked has proper basis.

I'm not sure that Rugby has yet gone as far as football in attempting to ensure that potential purchasers are 'fit and proper', just whether they / their consortium really has funds to buy the business, and then some insight into ensuring it can meet initial operational cash flow demands to keep the business running.

If our current owners seek the highest price, then there is a risk that who they sell to, might not be quite so honourable.

Going to be tricky.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net