rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
WorcesterSauce
Parking tickets
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 16:52
Just got back to the car and there is going to be a lot of very unhappy Worcester fans with a fine to pay in the lead up to Christmas. Parking enforcement seemingly starting to come into play for those parking on the verges where double yellow lines are. Excellent move and long overdue. I have no sympathy with these people whatsoever, especially as many of them seem to have no regard for pedestrians after games.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2017 16:53 by WorcesterSauce.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Parking tickets
Teme Dream (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 17:19
So you make a point of walking up the grass banks as a pedestrian do you? Good of you to post a deliberately provocative post.

Merry Christmas from Worcester City council. Car-owners have not been penalised for parking on the verges for the 15 years I have been going to Sixways. It would have been more appropriate to put warnings on said cars than immediate penalties.

WS - go and gloat somewhere else.

TRIXTA
TRIXTA (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 17:26
That's not quite correct Teme Dream. Cars have been ticketed for the last couple of seasons for parking on the verges. There are 3 parking areas where you can park for a fiver within a few minutes walk (one of which involves a dangerous crossing of the motorway slip roads). The issue that I have however, is the pathetically small no parking signage and what is worse in my opinion, they always wait until the game has started before issuing tickets. It is money making pure and simple, irrespective of the law. Have you ever seen a warden there before the game?

WorcesterSauce
09 December, 2017 17:29
TD, no i walk on the pavement and as a result have seen week after week cars giving no care in the world whatsoever to me or other pedestrians. You've got away with it for long enough - this is long overdue.

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 17:32
Hear hear.

WorcesterSauce
09 December, 2017 17:33
Why does there need to be no parking signs TRXTA? For a bit of context, If you were to go into town and see double yellow lines, say, on the bridge, would you get on the pavement and park there instead? Surely it's pretty obvious that graas verges are not meant for parking on.

MESSAGES->author
Teme Dream (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 17:43
Feeling that nice warm glow of self satisfaction are you?

MESSAGES->author
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 17:58
Amateur club 5 quid on the gate ive been done before so never again

WorcesterSauce
09 December, 2017 18:20
Quote:
Teme Dream
Feeling that nice warm glow of self satisfaction are you?

I'm pleased that the Council are enforcing the law, yes. Why should you, or anyone else have special treatment with 'warnings'. The bitterness and total lack of responsibility you're showing is a bit embarrasing. They were always going to start some time. You should be pleased they have waited this long to do so.... a £90 fine for 15 years of free parking doesn't seem bad value to me..... 35p a game.

MacWarrior
MacWarrior (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 18:33
So what value to double yellows on an industrial park have any 8 pm on a Friday night WS? None whatsoever IMHO.

Money making excercise plain and simple.

WorcesterSauce
09 December, 2017 18:41
The usefullnes of them is subjective, but they will have no doubt been put in place with some justification. But anyway that's a red herring. They are there, end of.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 19:05
Whilst I can't argue with the facts you've mention WS, you have done it in a most obnoxious way.

MacWarrior
MacWarrior (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 19:23
Obviously must have been in compliance, health & safety or council planning at some point in his career!!

WorcesterSauce
09 December, 2017 19:25
In this instance 5er i think it's worth fighting fire with fire. I'll admit that this is a massive generalisation but those who i have witnessed parking on the verges have acted in the most obnoxious way imaginable to pedestrians - i have even witnessed a man in a wheelchair forced onto the road as a direct result of their actions.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 19:32
WS, is that everyone who parked on the verge, or just a minority of inconsiderate folk with poor driving skills? Attacking everyone in a generalistic way perhaps isn't the way forward. I'd suggest you learn when and who to pick your battles with. Others may not be so tolerant to your outbursts.

WorcesterSauce
09 December, 2017 19:40
Quote:
Fiver
WS, is that everyone who parked on the verge, or just a minority of inconsiderate folk with poor driving skills? Attacking everyone in a generalistic way perhaps isn't the way forward. I'd suggest you learn when and who to pick your battles with. Others may not be so tolerant to your outbursts.

They are all obnoxious in one way or another though, don't you think? Some are far more so than others and i'm not suggesting that those who park on the verges are all are terrible people, but ultimately each and every one of them is deliberately flouting the law for their own personal gain to the detriment to others. To then complain and moan when a standard fine is slapped on them, once in 15 years, is just absolutely ridiculous, IMO.

I trust that those who are annoyed with the fines will be appealing the tickets seeing as such a miscarrage of justice has been carries out.

MacWarrior
MacWarrior (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 19:50
WS,time to just park it and move on I think!

BrumBrum
BrumBrum (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 20:05
WS, why are you so bitter?
Are you that happy that maybe 100 or so people are now £50-75 poorer in the run up to Christmas?
Some could claim at times your comments show you up as a very sad bitter man....not me of course... don't be so angry and take glee at others misfortunes.

At many sporting events parking restrictions are relaxed.
Not surprised many park on the verge, especially as it hasn't been enforced previously.
In my opinion unless they Block the pavement, they should not be ticketed.
But if that's the way it's going to be, so be it, but don't think celebrating someone else's misfortune is really the way forward.

From previous experience, would be interesting to know who owes the verge?
Is it part of the council property, highways or private land and also what is that land classified as. Also who issued the ticket.
If police, you are in a difficult position, but doubt on a Saturday before Xmas with terrible weather our police force would see it as a priority to ticket cars.
Thus council, which means there could be endless good reason for an appeal.

WorcesterSauce
09 December, 2017 20:16
'Misfortune' - What's unfortunate about parking on yellow lines and getting a parking ticket? Whereas the timing is possibly not the best, being the run up to christmas, the price of £90 for 15 years is actually an absolute bargain!

Would be interested to know if any appeals do occur and what the outcome is. Im not bitter at all although yes it does annoy and anger me seeing a wheelchair user forced to use the road as a direct result of those who chose to park on the verges/pavement. I don't really think that's an unreasonable thought to have.

It will be interesting to see what happens at the Irish game, seeing as the crowd will likely be over double that it was today. There simple isn't enough parking but i'd be very surprised if the arrangement as it is now was ever changed but we'll see.... maybe the council will revert to turning a blind eye.

Pragmaticman
Pragmaticman (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 20:26
Must admit I am indifferent but surely you roll your dice you take your chance? Everyone who drives over the double yellows and parks on the grass zurely knows they are not legally in the right? Will move the problem elsewhere but surely can't complain if you get a ticket? 15 years wrong doesn't make a right?

MacWarrior
MacWarrior (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 20:28
WS there will always be inconsiderate drivers and nobs on the road and I am sure that extends to WR supporters, however I am certain that most are considerate and will Park and leave accordingly at matches.

The fact is that there is insufficient parking available on match days and to park on grass verges on a big game should be given a bit of a blind eye, albeit that they should be mindful of pedestrians when leaving.

It's all about balance and compromise don't you think?

WorcesterSauce
09 December, 2017 20:37
Im not sure that there can be, to be honest, MW. With most things in life i agree that there should be a balance. However, with something like this its black and white - it's a double yellow or it isnt. It's not the Council's fault that the ground is terribly connected with no parking. Their highways officers (or whoever decides these things) will have, for some reason, decided that these areas should be double yellow lines (presumably for highways safety). If they don't enforce when there is such a clear, obvious and persistent breach then it sets a very dangerous precedent. They have to be fair.

The decision will lie with the Council. If Worcester Warriors supporter base declines because fans don't want to go because of lack of parking and then the club massively suffers then they may change/remove the double yellows as a thriving premiership rugby club with a big fan base is clearly a massive benefit to the city. Time will tell i guess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2017 20:55 by WorcesterSauce.

Simba
Simba (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 20:47
Double yellow lines indicate an area where no parking is allowed on the road. Does it legally also apply to an attached verge, especially if the verge is large enough to accommodate a vehicle?

the barbarian
09 December, 2017 20:53
Yes it does apply to the verge as well

MESSAGES->author
Abberley (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 21:06
A quick Google seems to confirm (at least in Surrey County Council's opinion) that verges are included in any parking restrictions:

Quote:
Waiting Restrictions
Waiting restrictions apply to the entire width of the public highway from the centre of the road to the boundary on the same side of the road. Therefore parking on a verge adjacent to a carriageway where a waiting restriction applies could result in a driver being issued parking ticket even though their vehicle is not encroaching onto any waiting restriction road markings.

[www.surreycc.gov.uk]

Warriordad
Warriordad (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 21:12
Anyway on a serious note.... this is a non starter - park in silly places and you will get a ticket. On the flip side, No need to write a whole paragraph about how pleased you are about this.

Now whilst this continues I am going to find a fence to sit in 🤨

Tarbert RG
Tarbert RG (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 21:19
It always amazes me that folk will pay tens of thousands for a car and lovingly look after it, then to try to save a couple of quid on parking they bash it up the kerb and onto a muddy verge.

I go to the match on my bike. I live 2 miles away on Warndon Villages so it's cycle tracks nearly all the way. I bet this applies to quite a lot of you. Give it a go...it saves a lot of stress.

MESSAGES->author
Abberley (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 21:26
Quote:
Tarbert RG
...onto a muddy verge.

They wouldn't be muddy if people didn't park on them?

MESSAGES->author
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 21:31
Maybe if the beer was more affordable we'd get the bus! A warning was in order....seems a definate target in one hit. Cant argue about parking on double yellows and the park and ride is a defence on enough parking. Tough one.

MacWarrior
MacWarrior (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 21:36
Suddenly the pc traffic warden brigade are out in force , sign if the times I suppose!

dusty hare
dusty hare (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 21:43
After dealings with the council this last Autumn, highways in particular (especially the recent Birmingham Velo event ) I have found the relevant powers that be are undemocratic, self serving and incompetent. I have no trust in their motivations. There are several places where you can be fined despite parking in a zone thatís perfectly safe to park, especially if you have the misfortune to be an away supporter and have no local knowledge. Waiting until everyone is in the stadium before issuing tickets is all about revenue and not safety.

WorcesterSauce
09 December, 2017 21:55
Quote:
dusty hare
After dealings with the council this last Autumn, highways in particular (especially the recent Birmingham Velo event ) I have found the relevant powers that be are undemocratic, self serving and incompetent. I have no trust in their motivations. There are several places where you can be fined despite parking in a zone thatís perfectly safe to park, especially if you have the misfortune to be an away supporter and have no local knowledge. Waiting until everyone is in the stadium before issuing tickets is all about revenue and not safety.

No local knowledge? What local, Worcestershire, knowledge do you need to know that trumps the law of Parking on double yellow lines = fine? It also has nothing to do with the perception of what's safe or not - that is an subjective issue and we have no idea why the decision was made to double yellow the areas in question. The fact is parking on double yellow lines is against the law. If you chose to park on them, you run the risk of getting fined.

PC traffic warden brigade... if only the iphone crying with laughter emoji worked on this forum.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 22:32
Despite the fact that both the bible and the koran condemn the practice, there's some great stuff in Dante's Inferno about the righteous gloating over the fate of the sinners. (I believe WS is the one on the left.)
http://arsmagine.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/12.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/12/2017 22:55 by Patgadd.

Latecomer
Latecomer (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 22:48
Strange thing is (according to a recent Worcester News report ) and putting double yellows on one side for the moment, it is not technically illegal to park on the pavement but it IS definately illegal to drive on the pavement !!
There is only one way to get to park on a grass verge and that is by driving across the pavement !
That concludes the case for the prosecution M'lud.

dusty hare
dusty hare (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 22:51
I never mentioned double yellows. Ive had a ticket on a car when 10 metres from the highway and nowhere near any potential pedestrians or double yellows. I couldnít be bothered to appeal and it was not cost effective to fight the council over it. Itís always annoying when common sense doesnít prevail.

hairyicecream
wusstawizard (IP Logged)
09 December, 2017 23:11
If your options are:

Pay £5 a week to park legally

Or

Pay £50 a year to park illegally

The latter is probably cheaper. Lol.

MESSAGES->author
Grasshopper (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 00:00
Is this a Le Roux or Groundhog Day? This comes up at some point at least once every season. Itís illegal to park on the verges on a Clearway. Iím surprized that the drivers
that do so donít wonder why few others have parked there already or why there are still spaces left.

just got into rugby
Big Bird Warrior (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 00:21
Are we talking about the verges on Wainwright road or the ones leading up to the motorway roundabout?

If it is Wainwright Road, I don't remember seeing any tickets on cars (parked opposite where the burger van usually is).

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 01:36
Quote:
wusstawizard
If your options are:

Or

Ha Ha Ha. Nice one! :-)

Tarbert RG
Tarbert RG (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 08:02
Go by bike...you can be as illegal as you want!

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 08:48
Ticketing once a year is nothing to do with safety. It's like speed cameras that catch lots of people each year.

The way to do safety is to stop people doing whatever is unsafe. If parking on the verges is unsafe then put up plenty of very visible signs. I couldn't find a sign yesterday, albeit with only a brief look. Also, have a traffic warden at each entrance to Wainwright Road so everyone can see both the signs, and the local enforcer. Hey presto, the world is a safer place and we won't get the self righteous WS gloating.

A note to Tarbert, I love cycling but live in Kempsey so it's not very practical to cycle to the game. It's nice to know you are able to cycle in and I'd agree that more should, if possible.

Tarbert RG
Tarbert RG (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 09:16
The club provide no cycle racks. There are three positions by the disused park and ride building...other than that there are just the fences etc.

If this were The Netherlands, with a crowd of 10k there would probably be around 2000 bikes and a vast array of buses bringing people in from all the surrounding towns and villages. There would be around 1000 cars.

If you want to be amazed have a break in Amsterdam or anywhere in The Netherlands. Or go on Youtube and search for Cycling Amsterdam, Utrecht, Leiden etc.

Touchliner
Touchliner (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 09:47
Quote:
Car-owners have not been penalised for parking on the verges for the 15 years I have been going to Sixways

Sounds a similar discussion to what would occur if we suddenly found a referee penalising crooked feeds at the scrum - but infinitely more boring.....

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 10:02
I used to live in Holland, there is a very good reason why they have more cycling facilities and more cyclists.

Big T 15
Big T 15 (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 10:20
Well in to the council. Keep it up.

The amount of times Iíve had to walk on the road as someone is blocking the pavement. Am able bodied, but for any wheelchair users it must be a right pain.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 10:24
Is there an elephant in the room or am I missing something?????

The once a year spot fines have changed nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People still park on the verges, I'm sure everyone must concede this as fact.

There is no "well done to the council", just a few extra quid for their Christmas party.

Put up big signs, get a couple of wardens on the street for an hour or so before the game and then the self righteous can feel satisfied. Otherwise it changes nothing, never has, never will.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 10:32
They donít out the front any longer so thatís had a clear effect.

WorcesterSauce
10 December, 2017 11:04
Fiver, Is a double yellow line not a clear enough 'sign'?

As for saying this hasn't changed anything - we don't know. There hasnt been another game and this is the first time it's happened. London Irish will tell us although i expecr it'll take 2 or 3 of these for people to start listening but to conclude that it's changed nothing at this stage is clearly nonsense.

Big T 15
Big T 15 (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 11:16
Iím not self righteous Fiver, I just donít like to see wheelchair users inconvened, and thus - whilst I do have a small amount of sympathy for those that park on the verges - I hope the council keep it up.

MESSAGES->author
Teme Dream (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 11:38
WS I've found a picture of your parking place.

http://www.changingthefaceofchristianity.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/flickr_zombieite_4635562087_afb68a46b1_b_.jpg

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 12:34
Quote:
w4rriorz1980
Quote:
wusstawizard
If your options are:

Or

Ha Ha Ha. Nice one! :-)
But you could get more than one £50 fine per year!

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 12:39
Amongst all the self righteous indignation etc etc,on both sides, can we at least get the simple facts correct.

The penalty is £70, discounted to £35 if paid in 14 days.

WorcesterSauce
10 December, 2017 16:35
Quote:
Teme Dream
WS I've found a picture of your parking place.
http://www.changingthefaceofchristianity.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/flickr_zombieite_4635562087_afb68a46b1_b_.jpg

Christ. Clutching at straws comes to mind. Sorry for following the relatively straight forward instructions on the highway code of not parking on double yellow lines, silly me.

Tarbert RG
Tarbert RG (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 16:51
Cue Pat

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 17:41
But itís £5 for circa 15 games, so borderline in breakeven terms regarding cost of infringement versus provided parking.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 18:33
I'm a little intrigued that at a time when the club's future ownership AND the appointment of a new D of R are the headlines that there are 55 posts on this subject.

(Now one more!)

TRIXTA
TRIXTA (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 20:03
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
Why does there need to be no parking signs TRXTA? For a bit of context, If you were to go into town and see double yellow lines, say, on the bridge, would you get on the pavement and park there instead? Surely it's pretty obvious that graas verges are not meant for parking on.

There aren't any double yellow lines on the road outside the stadium where cars on the verges are being ticketed - that's the point. The 'No parking on verges' signs are pathetically small and as I said, why do they always wait until people are inside the stadium before issuing tickets - surely if it is a safety issue, they should be making greater efforts to stop people parking there in the first place. Money making pure and simple.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/2017 20:05 by TRIXTA.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 20:18
When do Traffic Wardens issue their tickets? When youíre parking or once youíve parked illegally? Not sure this should be any different should it?

TRIXTA
TRIXTA (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 20:33
Yes. You very often see wardens patrolling streets in towns and cities which has a deterrant effect. When have you ever seen this outside Sixways. They always wait until the match has started.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
10 December, 2017 20:56
I understand Saucieís outrage, and am basically of a similar opinion.

But he does his case no good by simply ignoring what others are reporting. Tickets were issued not only to those on verges opposite double yellows, they were issued on verges on non-yellow lined sections, on verges across the pavements which were not in themselves obstructed.

I know a ticket holder and trust his word.

WorcesterSauce
10 December, 2017 21:49
Quote:
TeflonTed
But he does his case no good by simply ignoring what others are reporting. Tickets were issued not only to those on verges opposite double yellows, they were issued on verges on non-yellow lined sections, on verges across the pavements which were not in themselves obstructed.

Ah - i thought that was in reference to a different time but if that's the case i have no idea if that is illegal or not.... i assume that as the tickets were issued it is illegal but I hold my hands up - i missed this bit of detail. That is a bit more harsh but thems the rules.

What i dont buy is that this was a money making exercise. Do people really think if the Council were doing it to purely maximise profits they would pick a game vs Oyonax that was always going to draw in about 3-5,000 when they have a massive match vs Irish to target in a couple of weeks that is likely to draw in 11,000+... such a feeble and unsubstantiated argument.

TRIXTA
TRIXTA (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 06:46
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
Quote:
TeflonTed

Ah - i thought that was in reference to a different time but if that's the case i have no idea if that is illegal or not.... i assume that as the tickets were issued it is illegal but I hold my hands up - i missed this bit of detail. That is a bit more harsh but thems the rules.

What i dont buy is that this was a money making exercise. Do people really think if the Council were doing it to purely maximise profits they would pick a game vs Oyonax that was always going to draw in about 3-5,000 when they have a massive match vs Irish to target in a couple of weeks that is likely to draw in 11,000+... such a feeble and unsubstantiated argument.

Thankyou for that final rather offensive comment. You are undoubtedly unaware that cars have been ticketed outside the stadium on numerous occasions over the last couple of years and at matches that have drawn big crowds. I don't condone illegal parking - what I don't agree with is this 'in the interests of safety' argument. In the early days of Warriors being in the Premiership, there was a considerable police presence controlling traffic outside the ground. In more recent years, the council have taken responsibility for parking enforcement and have been completely random in this. Double yellow lines to deter parking are relatively easy to see but there are non outside the stadium (where most cars are ticketed). If it was a safety issue, why have they put up such small, poorly lit 'no parking on verges signs'?
If it was a safety issue, surely it could be made much plainer that it is a no parking area with much larger signage and perhaps the odd steward/warden or two pointing out the restrictions (I'm not blaming the club by the way as it is outside their control). Why not put double yellows? A myriad of things could be done to inform people, particularly visiting supporters. I'm afraid you will not change my view that safety is not their primary concern and I suspect that any injury to a pedestrian is much more likely to be at the motorway roundabout rather than from parking on the verges. Safety? Absolute b*****s.

Moyles
Moyles (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 07:21
If it is illegal to park then the vehicles should be ticketed. Just because they havenít been for 15 years doesnít make it right. It doesnít matter what the reason given for ticketing in this particular instance - if it is illegal the tickets should be served.

MESSAGES->author
Bob (swatpo) (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 09:07
There used to be a bus, I used to catch it. It's been gone for two seasons and so I have to drive. On the question of parking are there sufficient £5 parking spaces to prevent people parking on the verges?

TRIXTA
TRIXTA (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 09:08
Quote:
Moyles
If it is illegal to park then the vehicles should be ticketed. Just because they havenít been for 15 years doesnít make it right. It doesnít matter what the reason given for ticketing in this particular instance - if it is illegal the tickets should be served.

I don't know how I can make my posts any clearer. I am not saying that illegal parking shouldn't be ticketed. What I am saying is that the no parking on verges outside the stadium should be made more obvious. I am sure that at evening games, many away supporters don't realise that there is no parking there, the signs are so pathetic.
Why can't they make it more obvious, particularly if they are saying that it is a safety issue!
I was also just point out to Teme Dream that ticketing is not new, it has been operating for 2 or 3 seasons.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 09:11
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
Fiver, Is a double yellow line not a clear enough 'sign'?
As for saying this hasn't changed anything - we don't know. There hasnt been another game and this is the first time it's happened. London Irish will tell us although i expecr it'll take 2 or 3 of these for people to start listening but to conclude that it's changed nothing at this stage is clearly nonsense.

Ok Saucie, I'll agree my crystal ball needs a new usb charger. However, to my knowledge this isn't the first time tickets have been issued on Wainwright Road. I'm pretty sure it's happened on more than one occasion before. By your logic, how come there was even a single ticket issued on Saturday?

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 09:15
I also wonder how many people know parking on a verge is illegal? I'm sure we all know parking on a double yellow is, even though several people have been doing this also. I'm sure most will have thought that the verge is off the road, hence off the double yellow. Reading all the posts above it will have enlightened several people to the council's interpretation of the law (I notice no one has cut-n-pasted from the Highway Code to back this up).

WorcesterSauce
11 December, 2017 09:25
TRXTA - really struggling to see what part of thag post was offensive, but sorry if you're offended by it.

Bob - i guess it's all subjective and how far people are willing to walk. There is loads of free street parking in warndon villages but is probably a 40 min + walk. You could argue that people who park illegally clearly think that this is too long. It all boils down to the fact rhat the ground is located in a ridiculously inaccessible location in the middle of nowhere. This won't change but if ticketing is going to be rife from nowon in (and it may not be), we are going to have to adapt somehow otherwise people simply won't come.

5er - really? I can't ever remember seeing any tickets on cars on Wainwright Road - on other verges closer to the ground yes, but not here although I may be wrong and stand corrected if i am. Not sure i follow your second point though?

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 09:30
Need to refer to a few basic facts again, then Iíve had enough of this thread.

For those who are not aware of the geography.......

The verges around the access roundabout on Pershore Lane, (the vehicular entrance to the Sixways site) have been ticketed for a few years now, and there are multiple small signs posted. This area carries significant non-rugby traffic at all times, and has no pedestrian footpaths.This is not the area being discussed here.

The Wainwright Rd being discussed is on the other side of the ground, beyond the A449 dual carriageway (ground access being via a tunnel). It is an industrial estate road, with areas of double yellow lined road and areas of road where legal unlimited parking is possible. There are no residential or retail businesses (unless youíre going to call Bookers retail) on the stretch involved. There are pavements all along, and decent lighting. There is virtually no pedestrian traffic at match times other than rugby parkers.

There are no verge ďno parking signsĒ at all, and it has never been blitz ticketed before.

Just as a bit of background for those not local or particularly familiar with the sites involved.

TRIXTA
TRIXTA (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 20:30
Apologies to all. I didn't read the first post properly and I assumed, incorrectly, that it was referring to the issuing of tickets for cars parked on the verges on Pershore Lane. I didn't realise cars in Wainwright Road had been ticketed. Sloping off with my tail between my legs.

BrumBrum
BrumBrum (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 21:05
Note to anyone who was ticketed on Wainright Rd.
Check who gave you a ticket, would say almost certainly it's council.
Check what the wording is on ticket.
Google the wording on the ticket with words "how to appeal" & have a good read.
If you fancy an appeal, check who owns the verge. Maybe surprised it's not the council. Even if it is, check what it is classed as.
Someone said you are not allowed to drive on the pavement by crossing the double yellows, but that is not what your penalty is for.

I hope someone does appeal, as sadly things like that can stop people coming to watch Warriors & we need the support.
Parking that does not result in any additional 30 mins is hard to come by.
Would love to know the % of supporters who live in Worcester & those that don't.
The vast majority I meet at games seem to be from West Midland rather than Worcester City, which requires a car as buses are so easy/direct via 2,3 or 4 changes.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 21:21
ďcheck what itís classed asĒ

Doubt itíll be classed a parking space no matter who owns it.

Easier Ďdefenceí would surely be thefact that many have parked in this manner for years without action having not been taken by authorities much earlier, once this parking began.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 22:31
Where does it say you canít park on the verge

Highway Code

JP

MESSAGES->author
11 December, 2017 22:36
A ticket can be issued if the verge is adjacent to a yellow line.

However in this case the verge is NOT ADJACENT, it is parallel but there is a predestination path in between the yellow line and the verge.

All the tickets should be appealed

JP

MESSAGES->author
Abberley (IP Logged)
11 December, 2017 23:13
This excerpt from a Council Warden training manual might clarify

Quote:
FOOTWAY AND PAVEMENT PARKING

Most waiting and loading restrictions cover the whole highway and are usually valid from centre of the carriageway to the property boundary (including all pavements, footways and grass verges).

Therefore, if a vehicle is parked on a pavement or grass verge along the parking restriction (single, double yellow lines, kerb markings, bays for specific road uses, etc,) a PCN can be issued.

[www.leicester.gov.uk]

Moyles
Moyles (IP Logged)
12 December, 2017 05:05
Quote:
TRIXTA

I don't know how I can make my posts any clearer. I am not saying that illegal parking shouldn't be ticketed. What I am saying is that the no parking on verges outside the stadium should be made more obvious. I am sure that at evening games, many away supporters don't realise that there is no parking there, the signs are so pathetic.
Why can't they make it more obvious, particularly if they are saying that it is a safety issue!
I was also just point out to Teme Dream that ticketing is not new, it has been operating for 2 or 3 seasons.

Maybe while they are making those signs more obvious they can also add some signs saying 1. Donít drive through a red light. Donít drive on the opposite side of the road. 3. Donít do handbreak turns. Etc

MESSAGES->author
12 December, 2017 06:53
Mostly, usually, words to catch all when you fancy it.

There should have been a warning.

If they could afford to have someone wait until all the cars had been parked and drivers had ALL left the area THEN sneak out and get all the tickets written in the nex 80 mins. Smacks of nasty sneaky money making.

Why did they not have wardens out tell ing people not to park there.

Afterall the yellow lines are there for safety and traffic flow not cash generation.

JP

Moyles
Moyles (IP Logged)
12 December, 2017 07:08
We live in a country where adults should take responsibility for their actions. Not moan about feeling unlucky and blame it on ďmoney makingĒ so what if it was money making and that was the motivation for it - donít park illegally and you wonít be fined!
If drivers are not responsible enough to make a common sense choice of where to park and the risks associated with it then maybe they should be banned from driving.

MESSAGES->author
12 December, 2017 07:27
I donít park there because I donít drive to the games, that does not stop me having an opinion on the sneaky way this was carried out.

Where does the council inform the public about parking on THEIR verges because it is not part of the Highway Code or any law.

It is their RESPONSIBILITY to inform drivers wher they canít Park.

JP

Big T 15
Big T 15 (IP Logged)
12 December, 2017 07:42
Sorry Faithful wholeheartedly disagree. The laws the law.

To those that do it every game, youíve had years of free parking whilst others pay £3+ per game to park. So itís still worked out bloominí cheap!

And as before, if youíd have seen the wheelchair user inconvened as I did, your view on the matter may be different. Was an infuriating watch, as they tried to find a part of the pavement that wasnít too much of a bump down to the road, due to a 4x4 or two blocking half the pavement.

MESSAGES->author
12 December, 2017 07:51
There is no law about parking on a verge.

JP

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
12 December, 2017 08:37
Think the cold weather has got the better of you JP.

In essence, you are suggesting that our city council now has to go to the expense of putting up signs in the middle of any green areas of of the city to protect us all, from those that through their own indifference towards where they want to leave their vehicles each fortnight, choose to park on verges or half way across pavements (outside Sytner / Bookers), because there isn't someone or something to tell them not too?

Good job no one knows where you live otherwise we might all come and park in your front garden...unless you've got a sign saying not to.

MESSAGES->author
Abberley (IP Logged)
12 December, 2017 08:43
Quote:
Faithful_City
There is no law about parking on a verge.

How do you come to that conclusion?
If you don't believe that Leicester Council quoted above have it right, a quick Google suggests that many other councils implement the same view.

This UK Parliament briefing paper looks at it in more detail:

[www.google.co.uk]

Incidentally in this case if, as seems to be suggested here, the pavement had been crossed to reach the verge, it could be criminal rather than civil offence?

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
12 December, 2017 09:08
As a loyal user of the Park and Ride system, I'm wondering why I am reading this thread especially at a time when other perhaps more important topics are abroad.

But maybe there is a fundamental issue here relating to human nature. I would imagine that most if not all of the drivers whose parking cost them a fine parked where they did because "everybody else was doing it".

That of course doesn't make it right or legal - but in one way or another we all do something similar. Well, most of us. Me included.

What's the speed limit on a Motorway? 70 mph? Hmn. What's the average speed in the middle and outer lanes? I bet it's more than 70.

"Everybody does it".

I'm sure that there are plenty of other examples where custom and practice contradict the strict interpretation of regulation.

That's the fault line.

MESSAGES->author
12 December, 2017 10:03
FF you would need to cross the moat first...(Sm128)

JP

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
12 December, 2017 10:17
(Sm13) JP

MESSAGES->author
Bob (swatpo) (IP Logged)
12 December, 2017 13:15
So and extra £5 to park or similar cost to park and ride! Coming to watch Warriors gets more and more expensive..........VFM, not at the moment!

Redditch Crowd
Redditch Crowd (IP Logged)
12 December, 2017 14:10
Bollards..... big concrete ones at 1.2m intervals....problem solved... illegal and unthoughtful parking is like litter - there is no excuse and shows a lack of thought for your fellow man/woman

101proof
101proof (IP Logged)
12 December, 2017 22:34
This all seems pretty obvious to me. If you park somewhere illegally you are risking a ticket. Ignoring the fact there is absolutely no reason why anyone should have to be warned about this, in fact the club and council did issue warnings about this a few seasons back.

just got into rugby
12 December, 2017 23:19
[quote 101proof]This all seems pretty obvious to me. If you park somewhere illegally you are risking a ticket. Ignoring the fact there is absolutely no reason why anyone should have to be warned about this, in fact [b]the club and council did issue warnings about this a few seasons back.[b]quote]

This was about the verges, on a Clearway, outside the club, on the run up to the Sixways roundabout. I have never heard the same thing about parking on the verges on Wainwright Road.

Many seasons ago (before I started coming) t'other 'arf got a ticket (Police issue, I think) for parking on the verge but (he told me) his one wheel and part of the bumper was on the pavement. The enforcement notice cited "obstructing a pavement" IIRC. It wasn't for illegally parking on a grass verge, having crossed yellow lines and a pavement!

Since then, if there has been no "on road" parking we have always made sure that we are totally on the verge so as not to be obstructing the pavement, and I have to say that I cannot see the harm in that (on Wainwright Road, I should add).

On Saturday we managed to park (legally) on the road but friends of ours were on the verge opposite the burger van bit. They did leave early but did not get a ticket and, as I have mentioned earlier in this thread, I did not see any cars that had tickets on.

MESSAGES->author
Grasshopper (IP Logged)
13 December, 2017 10:49
BBW - Interesting comment about not seeing any tickets. This thread givesthe impression that possibly many tickets had been issued. Maybe those ticketed had parked in really stupid & inconsiderate places, where they created a hazard to other drivers or pedestrians.

MESSAGES->author
ARFC Warrior (IP Logged)
13 December, 2017 12:34
BBW and Grasshopper

Yes interesting, if there were lots of tickets issued, surely it would have made the WN by now. Perhaps as you say it was only those who had not cleared the pavement when parking.

Quote:
WorcesterSauce
there is going to be a lot of very unhappy Worcester fans with a fine to pay

Is there anyone out there who got a ticket and is happy to share the details?

MESSAGES->author
Teme Dream (IP Logged)
13 December, 2017 12:51
I got a ticket. Parked on the verge roughly opposite where the burger van on Wainwright Road usually is. Not on the pavement or overhanging the pavement. I didn't run over any wheelchair users to get on the verge either.
Most of the cars around me had tickets - although not all. I didn't hang around to try and work out why this was the case.

just got into rugby
13 December, 2017 13:18
TD, I think if had been me, and some others hadn't been ticketed, I would have taken endless photos to try to establish why?
I assume these were Council issued? Is there a reason given?

MESSAGES->author
Grasshopper (IP Logged)
13 December, 2017 17:05
What is that French saying...Pour encourager les autres(Sm102)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/12/2017 17:07 by Grasshopper.

J6/7
J6/7 (IP Logged)
14 December, 2017 18:25
It is sad that some (even sadder) people derive so much pleasure from the misfortunes of others... tells us quite a lot about their lives.

If the drivers affected put notices in their windows stating that they were pikeys they probably wouldn't be victimised.

They are allowed to park absolutely anywhere they wish for as long as they wish and never get tickets. There is even a 'free gratis' cleansing scheme operating which swings into action following their departure!

arkivist
arkivist (IP Logged)
14 December, 2017 21:29
Did the bloke who parks his advertising van on the pavement over the motorway get a ticket?

MESSAGES->author
drifter (IP Logged)
16 December, 2017 07:17
J6/7 oooohhh the equal opps brigade will be out after that comment!! spot on mate!!

Northwick
Northwick (IP Logged)
17 December, 2017 19:43
Park at Blackpole for nothing get the bus and get out fast after the game

MESSAGES->author
Butthead (IP Logged)
21 December, 2017 11:06
Here's your warning, folks - Irish matchday info
Quote:
Warriors Website
Please also note that Worcester City Council are exercising parking enforcement along Wainwright Road. Cars that are parked dangerously or illegally will be issued with parking fines. We advise supporters to park in official locations which can be found by clicking here. [warriors.co.uk]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net