rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Abmatt
Vs Irish
Abmatt (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 20:38
17-8 HT.

Excellent try by Adams to finish the half and pennell is kicking well.

Game is not over by a long shot though.

manrow
Re: Vs Irish
manrow (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 20:40
Adams is a treasure, without him tonight we would be losing this game?

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 20:41
We conceded one of the worst tries I've ever seen conceded at sixways only to follow it with one of the best I've seen us score live.

Never boring is it?

Warr-i-ors!
Warr-i-ors! (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 20:44
Adams - TOP TRY SCORER in the Prem!

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 20:51
Just got to deny them the lbp

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 21:04
20-8

Penalty pennell

Warr-i-ors!
Warr-i-ors! (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 21:04
Iím greedy. I want the TBP.

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 21:09
23-8

Chris with the penalty again

Got to keep their heads.

riverlodge
riverlodge (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 21:11
Really sound performance from your guys, Hougaard is class. But O'Callahan wendyball diving is something I'd never have imagined seeing.

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 21:17
Line out still need work.

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 21:35
Josh Adams motm

Freypal
Freypal (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 21:37
Pretty solid performance. Controlled the game well and taken chances. Feel like they've approached this game differently than vs tigers as an example. Almost like theyve gone out to secure a win rather than really playing for the win. Pretty clinical.

bertles86
bertles86 (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 21:38
Credit to you tonight Wuss. Only one team played rugby and that was you. Goes to show what a quality 9/10 combo can do. I hope you survive financially as you've always been fun to watch.

Freypal
Freypal (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 21:44
Well that was stupid.

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 21:48
Player to secure the win. A lot more Ďgrown upí performance tonight.

Well done boys and have a good Christmas.

4 pt gap. Now to overtake saints!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/12/2017 21:49 by Abmatt.

Freypal
Freypal (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 22:04
And only 6 pts to 7th place... much healthier position now.

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 22:20
up the wuss. excellent result. J Adams has gone up in my view - for his reading of / timing / getting involved positively in the game, in addition to his basic job to catch the ball and score tries. happy xmas all round

Simba
Simba (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 22:28
Letís not forget the massive tackle from Olver. Great to see.

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 22:30
Just goes to show how much easier it is to win games with a good kicker. We didn't need to work as hard for our points and seemed content to let Irish huff and puff on the halfway line.

A bit disappointed not to get the bonus point, but pleased in that Irish didn't look like scoring all game other than when we punched ourselves in the face.

Good, solid win. When comparing it to our festive game from last year, it makes me warmer than any chestnuts and open fires could.

Well done all at the club, and Happy Christmas!

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 22:31
A game which had to be won - if only for confidence / beat the tension reasons. A win was duly delivered. Such games have been lost in the past. The trepidation that such was possible was clear on this forum.

The team did not let us down. What was needed was a solid defence and good goal kicking. That's what we got. OK, there were a few silly errors but they were outshone by two good tries.

In short, a very satisfactory performance.

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 22:36
What was the attendance?

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
22 December, 2017 22:37

worcestawarrior
worcestawarrior (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 00:42
Quote:
manrow

Pennell 3 penalties score would have been 9:8

Templates well worth ball in hand but we're denied possession by LI who were clue less going forward

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 00:56
Quote:
worcestawarrior
Quote:
manrow

Pennell 3 penalties score would have been 9:8

Templates well worth ball in hand but we're denied possession by LI who were clue less going forward

Mmm, fair comment...I think.

Are you possibly as far down the bottle as me?

Whatever, decent result, not looking forward to Wetherspoons breakfast at BHX in the morning.

Happy Thingie all.

Warriordad
Warriordad (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 07:55
Iím happy to get the win, but donít think we played our best at all. We didnít effectively put any phases together and scored off first phase only.

Adams did very well. However the try we conceded takes the gloss off the win as it was quite frankly terrible defending.

Positives were also sam Lewis and our second row battling hard. Canít help but think that performance would lead to a lost against the ten other teams in the prem. I think the players know that and hopefully we will see better at Saracens.

Offa
Offa (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 08:14
Against Sale, we were toothless and had no penetration whatsoever. We are a better team than that.
Against us, LI looked toothless and had no penetration whatsoever. They are a better team than that.
But it was a win, and a very much needed one. We have lost plenty of "must win" games in the past.
Congrats to the team and coaches.
For me, Spencer was immense; Sam Lewis awesome as ever.

NW2
NW2 (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 08:31
Absolutely delighted to have been proved wrong!
I said before the game that I didn't think we had the mental strength to get a win with so much presssure on, but we did. Very happy.
For me there were no negatives because a win without Irish gaining an lbp, was ALL that mattered.
Adams, Spencer, and Pennell all outstanding I thought.
Onwards and upwards!

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 08:58
Talking of pressure, Pennell was 100% off the tee.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 09:03
That for us was an outstanding result for many reasons.

It was the first time we have won after a break.

It is our first win over Christmas period.

We generally lose pressured games.

It was efficient and sensible victory.

Lewis was immense as was Spencer and Milanisavic

JP

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 09:12
Gary Gold's post match comments:-

[www.worcesternews.co.uk]

He makes some very good points. Not a perfect performance by any means and room for improvement but an all important win.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 09:28
A win was what we needed and we got one. For me not conceding a try at the end showed tremendous committent and will have been a blow to LI confidence.
We can at leasr relax a little over Christmas.

Warr-i-ors!
Warr-i-ors! (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 09:39
Irish now have to win three games and rely on us picking up no more wins and no LBPís. Simply cannot see that happening.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/12/2017 09:39 by Warr-i-ors!.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 09:51
Sunday 25th Feb at Madstad.

Much as I detest the place, I reckon itís a must! If we can win the away game thatís it done.

Itís a 6 Nations weekend, but no game that day.

Warrior7
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 11:15
Pretty poor game with so many errors and Sam Olver being the only one who could touch Lewington, but it was a good win. In the past we may well have lost that, but the players showed they care more than LI did and I think that was important, despite being a bit over exuberant in trying to score the next big hit at the end.

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 11:58
Fair play for mentioning Milasinovich, JP - I know you've had your doubts about him in the past.

I agree he had a great game last night. He wouldn't have been expecting to come on as early as the 13th minute. In the pre-game, BT were bigging up Nick Shonert, saying how he anchored our scrum, so for Gareth to come on so early and, bar an early pen, keep the scrum stable, was a real plus. He was also a very willing carrier and put in some good tackles.

With him and Biyi, we are starting to develop some depth and resilience at tight head, which we've not often had in the past.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

MSR-Worcester
MSR-Worcester (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 13:22
Quote:
Simba
Letís not forget the massive tackle from Olver. Great to see.

Loved that. Tackled a man twice his size. His teammates all seemed to love it too!!

Brummagem Bertie
23 December, 2017 13:47
That was actually the second really good bit of play from young Sam in as many minutes. We had previously nicked a lineout and Joe T shipped him a bit of a hospital pass. Rather than ship it on and risk making the situation worse, Sam took it into contact back towards the forwards. We were able to recycle and Millsy kicked it well downfield.

He also looked a lot more confident in his kicking out of hand and made some good distance with his line kicks. It probably makes a difference coming on with the game pretty much in the bag - he was able to just slot in and play his game, without the pressure of having to make things happen - but he looked much better last night. Perhaps the two Euro wins have also given him a boost.

We need him to keep progressing and quickly, with Heathcote out and Lance possibly going, but last night's little cameo was encouraging.

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 14:47
The thing that makes me more confident with Sam and Jamie is that fitness permitting, we've got ideal players at 9 and 12 to help them. Hougaard looked a bit flat in the first half but seemed to sharpen up in the second half, and then you've got Mills the other side, who (IMO) should be captain if he signs up for next year.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 16:35
Noticeable that Mills tried the Ďinnocent kidí impression with Barnes when trying to smooth over DOCís 10 mins of madness winding Fainga up and being Ďknocked outí by a slap.

I think Mills likes being the mouth on the park.

Brummagem Bertie
23 December, 2017 17:19
Millsy has played a fair bit at 10 and even at 12 swaps into first receiver sometimes. He has also been a defensive captain, I believe. Having a mouth is part of being good in those roles.

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
23 December, 2017 18:27
Mills is a natural leader and the players seem to listen to him. Iíd like to see us sign him on and pass him the captaincy next year, but Iíd be surprised if there isnít a lot of interest elsewhere.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 12:10
I decided to watch the match yesterday night as my BT box had recorded it. It was very interesting to hear what the pundits/commentators had to say. Both Ugo and Flats kept saying how clinical Warriors were and what a mess Irish were.

Given we didn't think we played too well, it shows how far behind Irish are, and perhaps where we should really be in the table if our key players are available.

I'd also like to point out that every one of our players looked decent. There didn't appear to be any horror shows, other than perhaps the two errors that lead to Irish's two scores. Josh will learn not to wait for the ball to cross the line next time, perhaps Jono will learn not to take his eye off the ball.

Also, it was good to hear that Flats' man-crush on Spencer continues, even to the point where the other commentators picked up on it.

So well done to the lads, it did look a much better performance on telly than live at the ground, oddly enough.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 12:31
The bit we enjoyed on the replay was DoC managing to not get frustrated with Barnsie, even when being told off for ruffling the hair of whatever his name is.

Nor sure Josh could be blamed for the try defence issue, heíd done well to get back to it, but was coming in from behind the ball, he could have risked an early dive and got pinged for taking the man without the ball, and would have got carded. And given a penalty try away for 7 rather than 5.
On balance, I think he did what he could.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 14:45
Ted, your point perfectly describes why the TV and watching live can be so different. On the TV it looks like the bounce of the ball took it away from Josh and into the fortunate grasp of Lewington. No blame for Josh.

Live, however, Josh looked slow and as if he was waiting for the ball to cross the line so he could dab it down for a 22. Sitting in the South Stand I was fairly close to this bit of action, perhaps it looked different from another stand.

Who's to say who is right, on the plus side it did end up with him scoring one of the best tries he'll ever score. I'd be as bold as to suggest the club should wave a 5 year deal under his nose. I really think he is that good.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 16:54
Having the ability to review a recording of a game that youíve watched live is one of the pleasures of modern life.

Having the comments of the real experts is so useful (apart from Hugo and his mangling of the English language) and well worth listening to.

My biggest problem is watching from the east and then watching the footage from the west view, does my head in.

Having chatted to someone who has used one, the new ref link/fan radio seems to work well.

Anyone of our regular correspondents on here using one?

welsh
welsh (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 19:28
Ref Link: yes I use one. I find it very helpful. I may not always agree with the ref but it is good to have his explanation of decisions. I spend less time shouting at the ref and more time listening to him - it would be good if the players did that too!

Also, it was interesting listening to Barnes establishing and maintaining a rapport with both teams as the match progressed.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 19:48
Diolch.

welsh
welsh (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 21:32
Nadolig Llawen

MESSAGES->author
Abberley (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 22:15
Nadelik Lowen ha Bledhen Nowydh Da!

...from sunny Port Isaac smileys with beer

welsh
welsh (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 23:25
Blwyddyn Newydd Dda!

Apologies, I think we are drifting off topic here. Nevertheless, I wish you all a very merry Christmas and a happy new year. May we all find peace and another season in the Premiership!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/12/2017 23:32 by welsh.

welsh
welsh (IP Logged)
24 December, 2017 23:40
..... Back to the game.

I thought that Irish defended very well. All of the tries were from moments of brilliance from players rather than poor defensive structures or execution. This also points back to the value of the penalties CP converted.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
25 December, 2017 00:17
Theyíve conceded 22 tries from first phase ball. 2 on Friday. Wouldnít have said they defended that brilliantly.

Our game plan was to give them the ball from deep and play a possession game. We didnít take too many risks and it worked pretty well. Pragmatism won the day.

Next week wonít be so straightforward.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
25 December, 2017 00:22
The first try was a total misjudgment from the Irish Fullback.

2nd try was a well practiced move, helped by poor tackling and a winger in great form.

Their try was loss of focused from the same in form winger and shoddy first up tackle.

JP

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
25 December, 2017 08:53
Not too mention the lapse from Lance.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net