rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Suffolk-Warrior
Ryan Mills
Suffolk-Warrior (IP Logged)
27 December, 2017 23:38
Hello Everyone,

Long time reader / first time poster so please go easy on me!

Read in the RP at weekend that Ryan Mills had definitely re-signed for next season. At the risk of being awarded a Le Roux for my first ever post I am surprised no 'thread' has been created on such fantastic news. Ryan is the life blood of our team at 12 and I agree with others that he has the potential to be our Captain next season when / if DOC retires.

Hopefully Neil Fissler has got something right for once and if Ryan has put pen to paper on a new deal then I imagine our ownership issues are close to being clarified. If this is the case then let us hope that the next few weeks bring some welcome news on further re-signing confirmations as well as new additions to the squad.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Ryan Mills
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
27 December, 2017 23:50
No thread because it is neither confirmed or even discussed.

However if true then that is FANTASTIC news.

JP

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
27 December, 2017 23:51
Interesting! Missed that myself and haven’t seen it posted. Sounds like we’re making progress on re-signings as Willison is also rumoured to have re-signed.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 00:19
Welcome S-W.

Mills re-signing would certainly be very good news.

As far as the rest goes, unless I’ve missed something DoC is certainly off at the end of the season.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 09:48
Great news if true. The article on the Bressler signing suggests that Nick Schonert helped to persuade him, so that's encouraging too.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 11:17
Quote:
Patgadd
Great news if true. The article on the Bressler signing suggests that Nick Schonert helped to persuade him, so that's encouraging too.

Yes, and the comments that Cockers may not “like” some of Solomons’ previous signing reminds me that coins have 2 sides.

I wonder how well Cockers is going down in the dressing room at Edinburgh?

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 11:23
I was told on Friday by an impeccable source that Ryan has signed , as have a few others , yet to be announced. The news on Spencer is not however encouraging.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 11:29
Quote:
ROLLO
I was told on Friday by an impeccable source that Ryan has signed , as have a few others , yet to be announced. The news on Spencer is not however encouraging.
Would that be "no" news on Spencer? Rather than rumours he's off? At this stage,no news is good news IMHO regarding Spencer.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 11:34
He is more likely to go than stay but it is not yet settled.

Latecomer
Latecomer (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 12:19
Quote:
ROLLO
He is more likely to go than stay but it is not yet settled.

All things considered, I would sincerely hope that Will would show us a bit of loyalty after we gave him the opportunity do re-establish himself as a Premiership player after his injury woes at Bath.
He has certainly grasped the opportunity with both hands and has also got on England's radar with us.

I suppose it does make me wonder if he is being 'encouraged' by someone close to the England camp to make a switch to a 'bigger' team in order to stake his England claims.

Also I do accept that there could be other factors unsettling him, just hope we can promise enough to persuade him that the artificial grass is always greener at Sixways !

MESSAGES->author
28 December, 2017 12:57
His big mate is Dean Ryan, so???

JP

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 13:08
Quote:
Latecomer

All things considered, I would sincerely hope that Will would show us a bit of loyalty after we gave him the opportunity do re-establish himself as a Premiership player after his injury woes at Bath.

Why? If he had not performed we would have released him!

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 13:16
I'm more or less resigned to Spencer leaving as I am to the fact that these days players will move on from one club to another quite regularly. All clubs lose players who they would want to keep. Careers are short and a career ending injury is a constant risk. So I don't blame any player wanting to get up the ladder as far as he can.

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 15:57
I don’t blame player for want long to get as far as they can in a career that could be cut short at a moments notice.

However his career was going nowhere at Bath and we resurrected him so I would expect some loyalty.

Latecomer
Latecomer (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 17:33
Quote:
West Brom Warrior
Quote:
Latecomer

WBW why NOT ! His performance levels at the moment are exceptional, even if he was performing at 75% of his current levels we would likely want to keep him.
However, that sort of level would not have him talked about for a possible international call up, or in Flat's Teams of the Week (several) for that matter.

Nothing wrong with asking for a bit of loyalty, it's expected of us as supporters I'm sure.
Not enough of it displayed these days to be frank.

Maybe you are the opinion loyalty is not worth a jot ?

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 17:43
Latecomer correct I don’t believe in loyalty in sport from players or managers to clubs or vice versa. They are free to move at the end of there contracts in rugby (or earlier if both parties agree) and the clubs are free to move them on.

MESSAGES->author
28 December, 2017 17:53
I for one am not resigned to losing anyone we want to keep.

JP

OverTheBoarder
OverTheBorder (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 18:19
Quote:
West Brom Warrior
Latecomer correct I don’t believe in loyalty in sport from players or managers to clubs or vice versa. They are free to move at the end of there contracts in rugby (or earlier if both parties agree) and the clubs are free to move them on.

Agree with WBW.

I’ll stick my neck out and say I’m not the only one on this forum that’s tendered his resignation to an employer and moved jobs for betterment. Why should rugby players be different?

Back to thread though - great news if Ryan’s resigned

Welcome onboard Suffolk Warrior

Freypal
Freypal (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 19:11
A rugby players career is short. At the age of 35 or so it's generally time up. Players are free to move when out of contract whenever they want to maximise their income for the short time they have available.

If they move for more money or international exposure then I wouldn't hold it against them.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 21:58
Need not look far to see players who aren’t living up to expectations at “bigger” clubs for whatever reasons. Mike Williams does seem near the performances he had with us. Sometimes playing regularly and being coached well are enough to get you where you want to go. Hopefully the club can sell that dream to WS.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 10:10
As A38 has said I am almost resigned to losing Spencer which will be a shame , but as others have said he has completed his contract so it is his choice based on what he thinks is best for him taking all circumstances into account.
Whilst the move for Hartley , Wood and Mullan provided International recognition. , more recently have the aspirations of Kitchener, Kevsic, Williams been enhanced by their move, or Galaza for that matter? as yet probably not. We wait to see how things work out for Val Raparva Ruskin.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 11:44
Took Kvesic to move again in order to find some form. Ex at least seem to be getting him back to his best. Just stagnated at Glaws.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 19:26
Williams nearly gets in the Jones eyelin again and then breaks.

I’d argue that Mullan’s International hopes have not blossomed but he has played at a higher level for Wasps in Prem and Europewhich is unlikely to have happened while at Warriors.

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 20:32
Quote:
Latecomer
Quote:
West Brom Warrior
Quote:
Latecomer

WBW why NOT ! His performance levels at the moment are exceptional, even if he was performing at 75% of his current levels we would likely want to keep him.
However, that sort of level would not have him talked about for a possible international call up, or in Flat's Teams of the Week (several) for that matter.

Nothing wrong with asking for a bit of loyalty, it's expected of us as supporters I'm sure.
Not enough of it displayed these days to be frank.

Maybe you are the opinion loyalty is not worth a jot ?

I think supporters think of this as we have the luxury of being loyal and closing our eyes and ears to the demands on professional rugby players.

Loyalty is a two way street. Someone else stated 'we resurrected his career' - you could make a solid argument that Will Spencer resurrected his career? Or were Warriors working him like a puppet?

We all talk of loyalty - if he had performed perfectly the fan base here would have hurled him under the bus without a moments hesitation.

'A championship quality player' - is I believe the euphamism here.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 20:53
I think loyalty is bandied around if players have had a chunk of contract on the physio bench at club expense and then do play for us in the latter stages of a contract and obtain offers or seek them? without a second thought. The only one countering that stance of late is Sam Lewis. Symons, CSW and Spencer if he does move on may arguably fit the the other stance imo.

As for us being used as a ‘vehicle’ for loftier aspirations, we are well ‘driven’ in that regard.

TVM Rides Again....Again
29 December, 2017 21:21
Quote:
FlipFlop
I think loyalty is bandied around if players have had a chunk of contract on the physio bench at club expense and then do play for us in the latter stages of a contract and obtain offers or seek them? without a second thought. The only one countering that stance of late is Sam Lewis. Symons, CSW and Spencer if he does move on may arguably fit the the other stance imo.
As for us being used as a ‘vehicle’ for loftier aspirations, we are well ‘driven’ in that regard.

See my comments on the CSW thread for my answer to that. If players are broken playing for the club, doing what we have asked, they shouldn't be asked for a debt of gratitude if the club fixes them.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 21:49
TVM if Wuss wish to dispense with a player before his contract ends he would rightly expect for his contract to be fully paid up.
If a player wishes not to honour his contract and leave why should we not expect some compensation ? The alternative seems a bit one sided.

TVM Rides Again....Again
29 December, 2017 21:52
Financial compensation under contract law is fair and a different debate to the more ethereal concept of 'loyalty' being herein discussed.

misunderstood
misunderstood (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 21:58
Its a Pro game now, players will stay if they feel they have the support and progression in their careers, other than that they have a fixed contract and can do as they please, as can their employers
Loyalty is down to the individual

Always misunderstood

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 22:00
So if we dispensed with a player before his contract is up would that be a loyalty or contract law payment of his contract?

worcestawarrior
worcestawarrior (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 22:03
And going back to Re Ryan Mills!

worcestawarrior
worcestawarrior (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 22:04

misunderstood
29 December, 2017 22:04
Cant answer that as each situation will be taken on its own circumstances

misunderstood
29 December, 2017 22:11
Quote:
worcestawarrior

I really hope he has signed, if so why wait, get the good news out there

TVM Rides Again....Again
29 December, 2017 22:26
Quote:
ROLLO
So if we dispensed with a player before his contract is up would that be a loyalty or contract law payment of his contract?

In the eyes of the law it would be contract law.

My argument is that it is all well and good fans talking about loyalty of players they LIKE, but if its one they don't, and the club were to do the equivalent, not an eyelid would be batted.

The club and the players all know the game.

The fans reaction and opining on the concept of loyalty is what is being discussed.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 22:32
Quote:
misunderstood
Quote:
worcestawarrior

I really hope he has signed, if so why wait, get the good news out there

Time it to coincide with Big home game, other signings, sale announcement?

Why did they wait several weeks to release the Bresler news?

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 22:46
So what should we expect as supporters / club from a player we’ve fixed and paid at full pay while recovering?

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 23:29
Was he paid at full pay?

I for one am paid at full pay injured or not. But to break my contract have to give a years notice. This gives my employers sufficient time to ‘balance the books’ and me time to prepare future employment.

What I can’t comprehend is how a player can break his contract with wishes of good will, but if it was the other way round there would be talk of the club paying compensation for early termination.

I do not, however, know the intimate detail of club/player contracts or if clauses for such releases might exist.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 07:26
I am summoning but would doubt player or agent would sign up to go on SSP while injured in playing rugby. If he was to be on SSP we’d probably take his Marquee status off him due to SSP payments since arrival being much less than his alleged salary.

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 08:22
Quote:
worcestawarrior

Finally found my reading glasses and got round to reading the bit on Ryan in the RP.

Unfortunately it is a Fissler article in which he reports Mills is staying. He then goes on to say Bryce Heem is likely to be moving to a European Club or back home.

wish I hadn't bothered (Sm101)

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 11:23
Re Mills please refer to my earlier post above.

Warrior7
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 11:34
If we can hold onto Adams, Hammond, Humphries and Howe then although Bryce in his first season's form would be a big loss, he doesn't make the same impact on games bar the odd one (Northampton). He is a luxury at wing where Mills and Willison are necessities at centre, and Spencer is a huge loss at 2nd row if he does leave.

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 12:34
Mills is our talisman and will be very difficult to replace if going, but doubt he will due in part to the way we appear to look after him, and I expect the esteem he is held in here.

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 13:01
I think in looking at whether or not Ryan is likely to move, you have to consider where else in the Premiership is he going to get a good chance to start at 12, which he has repeatedly said is his preferred position.

All he has said is that he hasn't signed a new contract but that he is leaving it with his advisors to talk to the club. He has said those talks were happening, so I'm fairly hopeful that a new contract will happen, if it hasn't already, as intimated by the OP.

We seem to have settled on him as our first choice 12 and have adopted a style of play that suits him and allows him to express himself. He's playing well and that got him on England's radar in the summer. Moving could throw all that up in the air.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 13:17
I also believe if he stays he will be captain next year. That leadership role may help us keep him. I could see him at 12 at Bath though.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 21:32
Arguably, Mills is at the centre of our attacking patterns a lot of the time. Very often we go through him and he is a very smart player.

He’s a big fish with us. Wouldn’t be the same everywhere.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 11:13
With Lance going back to Oz, will this mean Ryan slots back into 10? I hope the club has more ambition. If I were Ryan I would be asking this very question. He must surely want someone good inside him feeding decent ball.

I don't mean any offence to Sam or Jamie, it's just that we need someone of a higher level to fill the gap. I can't see Tom playing rugby again, and we need our main 10 to be older and wiser than a 20 or 23 year old.

Warrior7
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 11:19
Do we really need an older 10? Age has nothing to do with ability as a 10 - Newcastle play better with Hodgson or Willis at 10, Ford is young, Farrell is still much younger than most and has been for years. If Shillcock and Olver are good enough then play them, they won't gain experience if we refuse to play them at the highest level, and now is the perfect time due to having such a good 9 and 12.

Forgot to add Owen Williams for Tigers a few years ago, and Marcus Smith for Quins this season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/12/2017 11:23 by Warrior7.

Warrior7
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 11:20
But I do agree we need another 10 for depth - but doesn't matter the age for me, only the ability.

TVM Rides Again....Again
31 December, 2017 11:25
Quote:
Fiver
With Lance going back to Oz, will this mean Ryan slots back into 10? I hope the club has more ambition. If I were Ryan I would be asking this very question. He must surely want someone good inside him feeding decent ball.
I don't mean any offence to Sam or Jamie, it's just that we need someone of a higher level to fill the gap. I can't see Tom playing rugby again, and we need our main 10 to be older and wiser than a 20 or 23 year old.

Given the fact mills was at 12 and Olver at 10 for sarries implies that that will be the plan going forward

MESSAGES->author
31 December, 2017 12:05
I expect Shillcock to take the 10 roll before the end of the season, but great competition.

JP

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 14:34
Marcus Smith is 18 ffs!

Stop ticking on about age and “class “

Jamie needs game time, and as JP and I have been saying for months, will be our first pick 10 if he stays fit, and our only problem will be keeping him.

misunderstood
31 December, 2017 15:39
I thought Olver had a good game yesterday, i must admit that at first i was not impressed but recently has been playing better.
That said with only two fit 10's right now i feel we need cover, hopefully Tom will come through but i would expect that it wont be until next season given the length of this lay off.
There are always clubs and players looking for different options, i think we will see a new face soon unless Jonno is only having a holiday, no release from the club about him having finished, i know the tweet suggested otherwise.
Stranger things have happened grinning smiley

Always misunderstood

halfback09
halfback09 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 15:47
I'd see him slot in perfectly at wasps as gopperth isn't getting any younger

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 16:25
Quote:
TeflonTed
Marcus Smith is 18 ffs!
Stop ticking on about age and “class “

Jamie needs game time, and as JP and I have been saying for months, will be our first pick 10 if he stays fit, and our only problem will be keeping him.

That'd be the Marcus Smith recently described by his head coach as someone who must be handled carefully in terms of how many games he plays to avoid burn out or injury.

No question that JS is a good player and good enough for us, but his age is a factor, no matter what you say. Having an older head who can take some pressure off or help JS when out of form or confidence would be good management of his talent, not a damming of it.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 16:41
Exactly the point I should have made a better job of, Underdog. For every George Ford and Marcus Smith, there will be an older, more experienced 10 to either mentor, or back them up.

It's worth noting that both George and Marcus are exceptional talents. Jamie and Sam are decent players, but hardly being talked about in the same breath by the pundits.

BTW Ted, I didn't mention class in this thread.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 17:50
Mentor and back up, of course, yes.

But the tone of most of the comments is that we need a lead 10 to take over. Which in my view we don’t, and which would hamper Jamie’s development, and could easily be the start of him looking elsewhere.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 18:17
Quote:
misunderstood
There are always clubs and players looking for different options, i think we will see a new face soon unless Jonno is only having a holiday, no release from the club about him having finished, i know the tweet suggested otherwise.
Stranger things have happened grinning smiley

Have we officially been informed that Stringer has left yet? Wouldn’t rely on that. He’s gone.

BrumBrum
BrumBrum (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 19:08
Agree with Ted & Co, we need a 10.
One with experience & skill would be a huge benefit to Shilcock.
Don't know if he did, but he was on the bench for today's Cav's game.
That's not the right way to develop & grow as a player.

There will be one coming, I am sure.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 19:28
Shillcock started today's game and played for about 50 min.

just got into rugby
Big Bird Warrior (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 22:03
Quote:
usa
Have we officially been informed that Stringer has left yet?

YES

(Sm151)(Sm152)

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 16:18
Quote:
ROLLO

At least I was correct about Mills , lets hope I am wrong about Spencer!

MESSAGES->author
03 January, 2018 16:41
Maybe Bressler has been recruited early.

Tigers do like to take our players...

JP

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 17:02
Bresler was CSW replacement. If we hadn’t have got him we would have been a man short in the lock department

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net