rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

MESSAGES->author
CSW to American Football - Official
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 09:08

Patgadd
Re: CSW to American Football - Official
Patgadd (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 09:51
Another on whom we've spent a fortune in medical bills only for him to turn his back on us

Simba
Simba (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 10:23
And Bressler in

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 10:25
Quote:
Patgadd
Another on whom we've spent a fortune in medical bills only for him to turn his back on us

This was my thinking as well. A lot of time and money spent getting him fit for essentially half a seasons performances.

Good luck to him tho. Hope it works out

Worcester Way
Worcester Way (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 11:23
Itís a wonderful opportunity to the lad, Iím sure he wouldnít have wanted to be in the treatment room as much as he has. Players take tremendous risks with their bodies and suffer the consequences Years after theyíve retired, so no hard feeling here.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 11:23
Quite.
Just when he was getting more regular appearances and playing well.

I'm not a medical or insurance guy and I know treatment etc costs plenty of £££ but aren't we covered in some way?

Good luck to him though,will his body stand up to the rigours of the NFL?

Hoping his first port of call if it doesn't work out is back at Sixways!

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 11:28
I'm with Patgadd, maybe if he repaid some of his medical bills it would show how grateful he is.
Joins Symonds in the list of " takers not givers " IMHO.

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 13:05
Best of luck to CSW it is a big gamble for him to take and not one that is guaranteed to work but if it does the money he will earn is nothing that rugby can compete with.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 13:58
I hope that the club have the presence of mind to keep his registration in case he decides it is not for him or he doesn't make it. It would be galling for him to return to another AP club .

OverTheBoarder
OverTheBorder (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 14:58
Always put in a shift when playing. Wish him the best of luck in what is a high risk high reward environment.

Donít like losing talent like this, however he certainly doesnít owe the club anything, especially the way he put his body on the line every time he played.

Is there mention of the team that heís going to? Iím sure they would have had to buy him out of his contract.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 15:03
OTB, quite probably.

And Iíll bet they wonít even notice the cost, their Christmas Party probably cost 10 times more.

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 15:46
I don't think he has a club lined up. It seems he's going through an international player programme with the aim of earning a place.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 16:42
He's off to Florida

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 29/12/2017 02:54 by w4rriorz1980.

MESSAGES->author
28 December, 2017 18:04
This is a step too far for him, I donít believe he has the durability or size to be a forward. He is certainly not athletic enough to be a running back.

JP

MESSAGES->author
28 December, 2017 18:12
Average lineman

Quote:
The average guard, tackle, or center in the NFL is 6-foot-5, 312 pounds. Of the 159 players who have started at least four games as an offensive lineman only 23 weigh less than 300 pounds and 39 weigh at least 320 pounds.

Average Salary for a lineman was $1.2million

JP

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 18:38
And for easy comparison, heís 6í 8Ē, (2.03m) and 271 lbs. (123kgs)

According to [www.eurosport.co.uk] anyway.

Simba
Simba (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 18:46
Looking to play Tight End, whatever the hell that is.

OverTheBoarder
OverTheBorder (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 19:20
Lovely post on CSWíS Instagram. Donít know how to do the link thingy so full quote below:

1cswNo goodbye is never easy, but every chapter must come to an end eventually. I'm thankful for the lessons learnt and the support and friendship given during my time at Worcester. As I embark on this new journey I will never forget the fans, the back room staff or my brothers! It's bittersweet to say goodbye but I'm determined to embrace the challenges that lie ahead. This is the beginning of a new and exciting chapter in NFL! #PoshBoyComingToAmerica

Postings on this thread have called for money back for his medical bills and already having him failing in his new venture.

Heís certainly the bigger person and not just in stature!

Worcester Way
Worcester Way (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 19:40
Proper opportunity for the lad, if he makes it the riches are unbelievable.

I know itís disappointing to lose such a promising player, but I hope those discussing the cost of medical treatment will reflect on their comments and realise how unsavoury they are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/12/2017 19:40 by Worcester Way.

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 19:52
Quote:
Worcester Way
Proper opportunity for the lad, if he makes it the riches are unbelievable.
I know itís disappointing to lose such a promising player, but I hope those discussing the cost of medical treatment will reflect on their comments and realise how unsavoury they are.

Quite.

It's not like we we were treating random people off the street. He was asked to put his body on the line and did - and treatment was needed to fix him after he did what he was asked and got broken.

I find all this idea that they somehow have a debt of gratitude a little perverse.

As logically, to me at least, it would be morally objectionable to demand they put their body on the line and then cast them out the moment they are injured, to do...whatever...for a living.

I am sure no one agrees with that.

So to me the treatment aspect is the other side of the coin. The clubs part of the moral contract.

I am sure many have counter points but, I am afraid, I don't buy the ingratitude arguement.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 20:41
Taufete was a former American Footballer IIRC, so transition appears possible both ways.

Tight End is part of the Defence for the Quarterback if my American Football knowledge remains intact. Similarities to packing down in rugby but without @#$%& around his face in the start of a play.

This will not be a gimme application initially and then needs to get through the draft process to get into a side and get a contract.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 22:01
An article in the Independent:-

[www.independent.co.uk]

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
28 December, 2017 22:18
Tight End is a hybrid offensive position which can offer protection, as above, or run passing routes. He fits the module pretty well and Iíd imagine this is where heíll focus his efforts.

Wonít be an easy venture as those guys are proper athletes! Even at 300 lbs!

Seems like weíve treated him well, and no bridges have been burnt, so maybe weíll see him back one day.

Offa
Offa (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 08:00
Tight end sits at the end of the Offensive line of scrimmage.
They either protect the QB as part of the offensive line, block for the running back, but they are also allowed to peel off and act as a receiver (allowed to make a catch).

CSW is an athletic chap and has all the physical attributes to do well in NFL. It will be a slow process as there is an awful lot to learn, but there is no reason why he could not do really well. His stature would fit tight end or even linebacker.

He is a really decent lad, and I wish him well. A brave move and what an exciting one to take. Why wouldn't you? Good luck Christian.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
29 December, 2017 08:51
I don't think he has good enough hands for a tight end, I'd have thought middle linebacker would suit him best.
Still good luck to him, I hope he makes it, I think he should have been starting for us and I don't blame him for moving on.
He might have spent time on the treatment table but that time was earned putting his body on the line for warriors.

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 13:19
I don't think CSW owes the club or the fans anything, for the reasons TVM and others have stated, and I don't blame the lad for grabbing the chance to pursue what seems to be a childhood dream. Why should he be left wondering "What if?"? If it happens he and his family will be made for life.

I think the club have handled it well - expressed regret at his loss whilst not standing in his way. It means, I think, that if things don't work out for him and he decides to move back to rugby, we will be his first call.

And yes, if that happened and we have a need for a second/back row, I would take him like a shot. A player who felt that we, as a club, had supported his ambitions and not stood in the way of him challenging himself to be the best he could be, would be a real asset, IMO.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 13:53
Well if itís okay as long a player is íchasing dreamsí I guess I need to just accept departures of key and not key players, as presumably theyíre motivated / ambitious types whereas the stayers are......just staying as itís their Ďdreamí.

Brummagem Bertie
30 December, 2017 14:51
FF, you don't have to accept it if you don't want to - we just agree to disagree. And if a player stays because it's his dream to play for Warriors, that doesn't mean that they are not motivated, ambitious or don't have dreams, just that they have different ambitions and dreams and are motivated by different things.

The club didn't really have a choice to stand in CSW's way: that would have just resulted in a potentially very unhappy and disgruntled player, who probably wouldn't have stayed a moment longer than he had to.

Rugby is a business and players are professional employees - or do you feel betrayed whenever someone leaves work for a better job, who's had privileges and/or opportunities granted to them by your employer?

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 21:04
BB, if work colleagues move on, betrayal is not my opinion of them. Nor is envy, or some romantic nature of chasing their dreams. To date, those moving on have not just had 2 years sick leave, come back for 4 months to show their worth and then chucked in their notice letter.

Just off to recalibrate my moral compass.

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 21:10
FlipFlop suggesting CSW has been on sick leave for 2 years it quite frankly wrong, it is not sick leave if you pick up serious injuries doing your job, you have attempted to make it sound like he has had the flu for 2 years. Rugby is a collision sport and injuries happen, we should expect our players to be injured at times during the season but it is not sick leave.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 21:37
WBW,

I am aware of the basics of Rugby as a collision sport and its inherent risk. But while injured he may not have been training, or may have been undergoing physio / fitness. I agree that is not sat doing nothing, but surely his primary aim as part of the First team squad is to play for the first team which has only been achieved recently due to his longer term injury issues.

Brummagem Bertie
31 December, 2017 00:17
Quote:
FlipFlop
BB, if work colleagues move on, betrayal is not my opinion of them. Nor is envy, or some romantic nature of chasing their dreams. To date, those moving on have not just had 2 years sick leave, come back for 4 months to show their worth and then chucked in their notice letter.
Just off to recalibrate my moral compass.

Many people in all walks of life and professions have an idea of a dream job and chase it, either actively, in a calculated way, or if luck smiles on them and the chance arises. You can call it romantic, ambitious, or motivational - whatever is your wont.

As for CSW's sick leave, he didn't ask for all his injuries, incur them as a result of a skiing trip or other personal leisure activity, or just being stupid, but by putting his body on the line, at work, for the club and for us supporters.

Many of us think that the moral position is that the club is massively in his debt and paying him, whilst mending him, simply repays that debt, so that the scales are equal once he is fit again.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 07:39
BB,

Your view not my own.

Long term injuries to players will presumably be an accepted cost of employing players so our injury crisis if the past 2 seasons or so is no problem except in terms of finding replacements and additional salary for the replacement.....quite a problem then.

Maybe CSW will crack it, maybe not. Maybe due to how the club appear to have handled it, heíll come back, maybe not. Itíll be interesting to see how it goes as it has been suggested that AF is as, if not more attritional than RU.

I wonder how folks will feel about Max Stelling under similar circumstances, or Andy Symons?

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 09:51
According to TRP this morning, his chances are (unlike most NFL players) slim indeed!

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 10:04
Brother Bertie is bob on here in my opinion.

Context is everything.

To claim there is a moral debt from rehabilitated players is - in my opinion - to wilfully shut ones eyes and ears to the fact that these injuries were sustained doing the clubs bidding.

To say they owe a debt of gratitude on this score - like some are - implies that the club playing a player until they break and then slinging them on the scrap heap to do whatever with the rest of their lives is a viable option.

In my softy lefty snowflake opinion, it is not.

Let's put it this way, if you worked on my farm, and my machine broke your hand - and we got it fixed because my machine broke it and you were doing what I asked (and you endured 6 months of misery into the bargain) - I bet you'd be well piddled off if I turned round and said 'well, aren't you going to thank me?'

Fixing a player injured in the line of their playing career is part of the moral contract in my opinion - the being broken in the line of duty is the contribution the player makes. Fixing them is the clubs.

I missed the majority of a season with a broken leg once. Pain in the @#$%& it was.

I think part of the problem is that fans view injury as an inconvenience to the club and ultimately, their own 80 minutes of fun.

The inconvenience to the player is sort of swept under the rug a bit.

Some of these injuries make every day tasks a b***ard. Cooking, cleaning, sleeping, showering, using the loo, personal liberty (couldn't drive and getting to the station or bus was a long way on crutches - meaning you arrived where you were going a horrid sweaty mess), popping to the shop - I couldn't carry shopping, aside from a couple of bits and bobs in a rucksack.

I think people would do well to remember just what an injury means to the human, not the number on the shirt. Then reassess where the 'moral compass' points.

And if you decide that they still owe the club after rehab fair enough. I just won't think your opinion is fair or just. And that would be my opinion smiling smiley

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 10:36
My view on this is that the club came to an agreement with CSW. If he'd simply said "Bye, I'm off", I'm sure a lawyer would have been involved.

Ted is right to point out the chances of an NFL contract are extremely slim. I'd be amazed if he could leapfrog all those guys from top US colleges who've been playing football for many years. For those of us with BT Sport, watch one of the many college games and try to tell the difference between it and the NFL. You'll notice the crowds are just as large, sometimes larger in college football.

I wish CSW all the luck in the world, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see him back in the UK in six months time. It is that hard to get an NFL contract.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net