rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Maul Master
James Haskell
Maul Master (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 09:30
An article in yesterday's Daily Mail stated that Haskells contract with Wasps is ending this year and as yet he hasn't had any interest. I know we are well stocked in this area but should we be interested?

usa warrior
Re: James Haskell
usa warrior (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 09:34
Heíll have plenty of interest. Bristol are meant to be sniffing around - who arenít they linked with mind... - and others will be as well.

gmem
Garym (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 09:50
Muscle bound ego-centric lump. Not surprised he hasnít had people seeking out his signature. Every time I see him play,, I am not sure what he adds to Wasps. Last night, as usual, he just seemed to lurch from one pile up to another. Thatís a no from me, in case you hadnít guessedsmiling smiley

In all seriousness, he has never been the same, since he came back from France and looked like a gym freak.

BrumBrum
BrumBrum (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 18:43
Gary's,
may not have been that brutal in my description of his performances, but I have to agree and your summary really did make me smile

Wasn't he the guy asking the ref what England should do against Italy when they wouldn't compete the ruck?
My friends 13 year son knew the answer, thus not the proudest moment for a "world class" leader when he appeared to be clueless.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 18:46
BB and Gary, youíre almost being kind.

Great rugby player, self-appointed Archbishop of Banterbury. Nob.

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 20:02
Probably wouldnít take him as we are well stocked in back row and he would command a hefty wage but he is a very good player. Quite frankly his off field activities I couldnít care less about in any shape or form, a bit like and of the current Warriors squad in that respect.

Redditch Crowd
Redditch Crowd (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 21:40
I think heís a nice bloke... but if he moves he will (quite reasonably) be a journeyman looking to bolster the pension pot.... it is recognition of our current pack that I can safely say that we donít need him... but I wish him well wherever he spends the next couple of years

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 21:46
Comes across as one of the biggest d1cks around. That's not to say he's not a nice bloke in person, but the character he puts on for the cameras is insufferable.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 22:21
I guess it depends on whoís out of contract out of our lot and depending on who comes in? Half of the squad are out of contract and out of the back row I would hazard a guess at GJ,Marco,Coxy,Potgeiter,Duratulo,Taylor and Foasiliva being up for renewal so half of those guys could be off depending on who Solly wants in his squad to take forward.

There are some very very good back rowers coming available to speak to other clubs from Monday like Dave Ewers at Chiefs whoís unbelievably struggling to make their squad with the competition being so great in their back row. Then youíve got players Solly brought to Edinburgh that he really likes like Du Preez and John Hardie. Today showed the quality in depth Sarries have so thatís what we should be striving for

Warriordad
Warriordad (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 22:37
Some cheap shots being fired here.... he was terrible when he came back from France? He was man of the series down is Aus some 18-20 months ago. Hmmm....

J6/7
J6/7 (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 22:41
How strange that such a useless 'nob' has played for his country 75 times and is in the current English squad, really strange... good job we have all these self appointed experts to make us aware of his deficiencies. Even stranger that Eddy Jones who is supposed to know what he is doing has included him in the six nations squad - what a fool, England will never get anywhere with him in charge, he is obviously clueless, unless of course, it is the Haskell detractors who are clueless!

BrumBrum
BrumBrum (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 23:09
Would not be surprised if John Hardie is released by Edinburgh at end of season.
Very good player, but had a spot of bother & was suspended for 6 weeks.
If he has mended his ways could be a very fine signing.

Would have him before Haskell & no doubt a third if the money.

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 23:19
I like Haskell. He's a bit of a plank but not quite as much as he pretends to be and I think if he signed for us, he'd be a fan favourite on here as he seems to launch himself into everything.

If we could pay him half his current wages, I'd love to see us sign him up, but too pricey for me.

Offa
Offa (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 23:20
Clearly all a matter of taste. I really like him, and suspect he would be good value for any dressing room. Whether or not we would want him would all depend on other ins and outs, other players availability and wage demands. None of which we are privvy to.

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 00:22
Just for clarity im not debating his playing ability (although he's certainly not the player he once was), just that he comes across terribly on virtually every non playing clip ive seen of him.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 00:23
Quote:
J6/7
How strange that such a useless 'nob' has played for his country 75 times and is in the current English squad, really strange... good job we have all these self appointed experts to make us aware of his deficiencies. Even stranger that Eddy Jones who is supposed to know what he is doing has included him in the six nations squad - what a fool, England will never get anywhere with him in charge, he is obviously clueless, unless of course, it is the Haskell detractors who are clueless!

I didnít say he was useless, I said he is a great rugby player.

And, in his self appointed persona as the Archbishop of Banterbury.....a nob.

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 00:29
Agree Ted. I always find it strange how some seem to struggle with the concept that someone can be great at their job whilst at the same time being a complete @#$%& as a person.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 07:31
Say what you like about Hask, perceived as many things, but one thing that is indisputable is that he is a loyal clubman and Wasps through and through.

He is loud, abrasive, and often very funny. Much of his humour self-deprecating. The guy has seen it, done it, and got the 4XL T-shirt. His problem is that his talent has made him a top earner and if he wants to extend his career he is going to have to temper his wage expectations.

Would I like him in my squad ? Of course, but we all know where the holes are in Warriors recruitment and back-row isn't one of them.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 08:11
Haskell would improve our backrow and I'm a little surprised if people don't think it needs improvement.

If ewers did become available I'd rather have him mind, he's a beast and I'm amazed he doesn't have a large collection of England caps by now.

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 09:52
Haskell a couple of years ago would have improved our backrow, not sure now.

He's not a great 8, if rather have Lewis at 7 and Denton at 6. Great guy to bring off the bench but he would be far to expensive to have as a squad player.

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 10:39
I suspect that if Haskell leaves Wasps he will probably opt to extend both his playing career and his earnings by heading back to Japan. Probably immediately after the World Cup: before if he doesn't have a chance of going with England.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 10:50
No doubt a top player, on top player wages. Money is a big problem at Warriors, no matter what sound bites come from the club.

As for people calling him a nob, it's not about what we think of his character, but what the rest of the squad think. If he raises moral, then who are we to criticise.

I often wonder if it's a class thing, as he does sound awfully well spoken. I hope not, we've discussed this many times before and those using the word "toff" just make themselves sound like idiots.

I'd agree with many others on this thread, the back row isn't really a problem for us when fit and playing. A big name player might be better off filling another gap. We still haven't got a top 10 or back up 9. Look how poor Saints are, they started with Groom and Francis, and had Reinach and Myler to bring off the bench.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 14:54
Being a nob is not about class, itís about being a nob, and every club has a resident nob or two. Being a great player does not nullify nob status usually.

On the subject of class/accent, which Fiver raises above, has anyone else ever wondered why Maro Itoje, in some interviews, tends to sound a bit Sarf London, if you know what I mean.

Reading his history, he can only be proper posh. Heís from Harpenden, went to some really posh schools.

Students of linguistics may explain this as part of ďaccommodation, downward convergenceĒ , when posh people try to fit in with less posh around them. With usually less hilarious results than upward convergence, the Hilda Ogden syndrome.

Just a thought as Ex v Tigers prepares to kick off.....Iíll shut up now.

Freypal
Freypal (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 16:21
Tbh you can look at his Twitter to get an appreciation of his character. The one that sticks with me is some school kid told him he was a rubbish rugby player to which he replied and copied in the kids school twitter account to get him in trouble there.

Personally I don't think he'd get into most top tier international sides. 7 hasn't been a position of strength for England of late. Sam Underhill looks promising.

So my view would be that I'd rather wages were spent elsewhere.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 16:43
I'd love to see Sam Simmonds join us, however that's never going to happen.

backrow
backrow (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 17:42
Haskell going over , better young players around, Strictly come dancing for that boy , sequins and all .(Sm60)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net