rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Warrior7
vs Saracens
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 15:55
Looked a bit shaky in the middle of the half, but the team looks so much better passing the ball out of the back instead of one out runners, with Olver and Mills running to the line and distributing well.

Also Denton making their entire pack look small when he carries.

Warrior7
Re: vs Saracens
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 15:55
17 - 17 at half time, watching on vipleague (free) 2nd stream down (HD).

Sheldon
Sheldon (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 15:58
Pleased to be in it at half time!

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 16:07
Playing well. Still in with a chance

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 16:08
Penalty missed by Farrell.

Still 17-17

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 16:14
Penalty

20-17

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 16:18
Try, converted

27-17

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 16:22
Sarries starting to ramp up the pressure.

Freypal
Freypal (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 16:23
Floodgates..

Freypal
Freypal (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 16:24
34-17 after 62mins

Freypal
Freypal (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 16:26
Great response. Quick hands in for 3rd wuss try.

Warrior7
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 16:30
34-24 Denton has been massive.

Freypal
Freypal (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 16:44
At least there's a TBP to take away. Good show to not give up. Some disappointingly easy tries scored on the wings though...

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 16:46
Well done lads - stuck at it right to the end to get a try bonus point. 46-31 final score.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 16:47
Now thatís the kind of performance I want. Fighting until the end and they got their reward.

I never expected us to win this, but a lbp was possible.

Another point to heap the pressure on Irish.

Well done warriors.

Freypal
Freypal (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 16:47
With a few first choice players missing for Wuss, to go to Saracens and play against that strong a side I'd say that's not a bad result all in.

Freypal
Freypal (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 16:50
Irish picked up a LBP at home to Newcastle so that keeps the gap to them too.

Brummagem Bertie
30 December, 2017 16:52
Seems like Chris Pennell had another decent day off the tee - converted all 4 tries and kicked a penalty. Don't know if he missed any.

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 16:53
Great game. Little soft in defence on occasion.

Denton and GJ were massive for us today, some huge carries! Solid defence from both as well.

Hopefully shilcock to start next week

Brummagem Bertie
30 December, 2017 16:55
Irish may have picked up a point of their own but weren't able to score a try.

The more important gap is that to Saints, which has narrowed. Given that they are 31-0 down, having conceded a try bonus point to Quins by half-time, that may be a more telling consequence from today.

Freypal
Freypal (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 16:56
Quote:
Brummagem Bertie
Seems like Chris Pennell had another decent day off the tee - converted all 4 tries and kicked a penalty. Don't know if he missed any.

Missed a couple of pens, took conversions well though

Albionwarrior
Albionwarrior (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 16:58
Anything at Saracens is a bonus isn't it?

Brummagem Bertie
30 December, 2017 16:59
Quote:
Freypal
Quote:
Brummagem Bertie

So if that makes it 5 from 7 that's still over 70%, which is a lot more than we are used to, on top of his 100% record from last week.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 17:03
Sounds strange saying this considering we lost but after watching that game Iím really really pleased with that performance! We didnít get bullied or embarrassed and we scored some really good tries and fronted up really well. The telling point was the quality of replacements that came on the stepped Sarries up a gear,but what pleased me most was our spirit within the team...we never gave up!

The pack fronted up really well and I thought Waller and Milo had a great game. Denton was excellent with his carrying and the backs showed just how dangerous we are. Only thing that worried me was that Sammy Olver was manhandled more than once like a rag doll. I think on that showing barring a mistake from the kick off Silly is better. Sammy didnít disgrace himself but the difference in physicality showed with Shillyís try handing off Owen Farrell easily.

If we keep this team together and add some quality and not get a ton of injuries at the start of next season,with all being well and staying up I think we can really crack on next year. We looked great in parts today but Sarries showed what strength in depth does for you

LiveInHope
LiveInHope (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 17:49
AJ, 100% agree.
Every time I think we will be hammered, we pull a performance like that out of the bag.
Shame about LI pulling a LBP, but which is more impressive a LBP against Newcastle or Sarries?

Freypal
Freypal (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 17:54
Quote:
LiveInHope
AJ, 100% agree.
Every time I think we will be hammered, we pull a performance like that out of the bag.
Shame about LI pulling a LBP, but which is more impressive a LBP against Newcastle or Sarries?

Especially playing away from home given worcesters recent away form...

Warrior7
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 17:54
LIH also we were away at Sarries and LI were home against Newcastle.

Edit: Freypal beat me to it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/12/2017 17:57 by Warrior7.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 17:57
Quote:
Brummagem Bertie
Irish may have picked up a point of their own but weren't able to score a try.
The more important gap is that to Saints, which has narrowed. Given that they are 31-0 down, having conceded a try bonus point to Quins by half-time, that may be a more telling consequence from today.

Yep, Quins having hammered Saints 50-21 and Saints only having 3 tries we creep a point closer to them.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 17:58
Ours clearly LIH. Sarries are one of the best teams in Europe and had a full squad available to them and they didnít overwhelm us at all. We could have came away with nothing where Irish would have been looking at their game especially at home to win. Obviously Sarries have the better quality but we went toe to toe with them in the first half and were on par. They probably had more possession but with a full team available to us we could really go for some teams and we look confident and are playing some really good stuff.

I think for us now the focus should be keeping the squad together if we can and hopefully get that quality in depth that Sarries and Exeter have. Saying that though our replacements werenít bad but Sarries brought on internationals and it showed.

Freypal
Freypal (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 17:59
Quote:
Brummagem Bertie
Quote:
Freypal
Quote:
Brummagem Bertie

So if that makes it 5 from 7 that's still over 70%, which is a lot more than we are used to, on top of his 100% record from last week.

Yup 71% for pennell vs 78% for farrell so not bad. Also worth noting they were having difficulty with the windy conditions too.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 17:59
Today really showed how much we miss Spencer when he doesn't play, some good performances but our pack just couldn't hold the game line all match.
Sarries tactical kicking is far better than ours too we still need work in that area.

Despite his first kick I still prefer shilly to olver, superbly taken try at the end.

tricky dicky
cwrich (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 18:05
Sarries fan in peace ... thought your boys put up a really good fight today . Denton was outstanding. Think the strength of our bench plus the wind that was marginally favouring you in the first half and us in the second were the deciding factors on the day.
Good luck for the rest of the season, if you carry that form into your home games you will have nothing to fear

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 18:06
I agree with that comment on Spencer. It really showed how much ground he makes over the gain line. Barry and Donnacha did ok but I thought Pierce Phillips made hard yards and carried well when he came on. Barry seems to get his body in the wrong position in contact and gets pinged for holding on quite a lot. Hopefully Bresler will add that go forward when he comes into the 23.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 18:07
Quote:
cwrich
Sarries fan in peace ... thought your boys put up a really good fight today . Denton was outstanding. Think the strength of our bench plus the wind that was marginally favouring you in the first half and us in the second were the deciding factors on the day.
Good luck for the rest of the season, if you carry that form into your home games you will have nothing to fear

Thanks. You too

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 18:26
As said above by Albion Warrior - anything at Saracens is a bonus. It's a real shame we couldn't beat Sale when we really should've. To get a point, and very nearly 2, away at Saracens is excellent, especially given who we were missing.

Bath at home will be tough, but we can win. Northampton are in dire straits.

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 18:38
Try bonus point away at Sarries, I will take that just a shame we didnít keep close enough to scrape 2 Points from the game. 3 points behind Northampton in 10th and 10 points behind Sale in 8th, that is what we should be aiming for the remainder of this year.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 18:43
We just need to stay injury free and target the 6 Nations period of games in Feb/March to look to take so much needed wins. I donít think we will loose too many to internationals,just Bennie possibly who isnít playing at the moment anyway.

Get a full squad and we could make some real ground and hopefully have a good second half to the season.

Anyone know who we have during the 6 Nations period?

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 18:46
Quote:
Abmatt
Now thatís the kind of performance I want. Fighting until the end and they got their reward.
I never expected us to win this, but a lbp was possible.

Another point to heap the pressure on Irish.

Well done warriors.
Nevermind Irish,we're hunting down Saints!

RustySword
RustySword (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 19:00
Really impressed by your guys today. Twice we looked like running away with it and twice you reeled us back in with some exhilarating attacking. Pretty late on before we finally stretched away, and still your guys kept going for the bonus point.

Keep playing like that and there's only one direction you can go. Good luck!

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 19:17
Thanks to the kind saracens fans

Whilst we can still be up and down - over the last 8 months or so we do seem to be increasing the amount of up.

I am pretty satisfied with today's result all things considered.

Brummagem Bertie
30 December, 2017 19:19
Quote:
AJWarriors
Anyone know who we have during the 6 Nations period?

First weekend we have an Anglo-Welsh cup game. We then have Chiefs away, Glaws at home, and Oirish away. The Glaws game is a free weekend in the 6N.

The March league games are Tigers at home and Sale away, but neither are on an international weekend.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 19:55
Thank you. To be fair Glaws wonít be missing anyone to internationals but Chiefs will be missing a few and possibly Irish too but not many.

OldMarovian
OldMarovian (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 20:15
I'm afraid I don't know your players well enough to single them out beyond Denton and Adams but I thought that was a very good performance from Wuss. Frustrated to see you grab the TBP in the last play of the game but you were well worth it.

All the best for the remainder of the season.

Dave Berko
Dave Berko (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 21:14
Sarrie in peace! Not sure we 'had a full squad available - e.g. Billy V, Maro Itoje, Liam Williams, G Kruis missing - but well played Warriors. I'm glad you got the 4th try - well deserved. Best wishes for rest of season

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 22:00
Thank you Sarries fans for your comments.
You had a bench we could only dream of!
Great hospitality in the Mill Hill clubhouse too!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/12/2017 22:14 by w4rriorz1980.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 22:03
My prediction was 31:27, so not far off.

JP

Malvern Man
Malvern Man (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 22:10
Have I heard that 31:27 before, perhaps with the figures reversed at the last away game at Leicester?

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
30 December, 2017 23:24
A I said before, any points gratefully received in this fixture. Well done to the team and coaches on what sounded like a good performance against a ruthlessly brilliant team on the up.

Weirdly, I was at Oxford services at the exact moment the whole team arrived on the way down. The players I briefly spoke to seemed happy and confident. Hard to overstate how pleased I am at the team's apparent state of mind at the moment.

The Bard
The Bard (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 10:21
Echo the sentiments about Denton, you look to have turned his career around after achieving nothing at Bath. Thought when Hougaard went off it was the white flag being raised, but far from it.
Pennell kicked well apart from one effort that barely reached the 22!

Warrior7
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 11:14
@The Bard - for some reason we had a hooker holding the ball up on the tee, it was on its side when he kicked it, silly forwards!

hopkirk
hopkirk (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 11:23
Enjoyed the day Wuss, you should all be very proud of a side that doesn.t understand the meaning of the word defeat, well done. Thought your 6 and two centres played very well with those players plus your pesky winger around next year you can only improve your table position. Good to see Tracy and Daren, good luck for the rest of the season. Bath are very vulnerable to a team that starts fast and keeps going, not that we turned up down there, but will watch your result next week with interest.
Happy New Year

OldMarovian
OldMarovian (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 12:24
Quote:
Warrior7
@The Bard - for some reason we had a hooker holding the ball up on the tee, it was on its side when he kicked it, silly forwards!

You're lucky he didn't put the tee on top of the ball, silly forwards winking smiley

Brummagem Bertie
01 January, 2018 20:01
I did see on the club's Twitter feed that we are the only club so far to have scored 4 tries against Saracens this season in the Premiership.

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 21:43
Round 12 highlights are up - [www.premiershiprugby.com]

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 22:35
Out of interest, am I the only one feeling unsure about celebrating a game where we shipped 6 tries?

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 22:51
Not me. 4 good Warriors' tries in there for a TBP. Josh at the start and Jamie's at the end vs. Farrell was good, without mentioning Lewis and Denton. Ok, 15 points difference in the end, but what did we expect, nothing from the game in many folks eyes.

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 07:47
Quote:
Fiver
Out of interest, am I the only one feeling unsure about celebrating a game where we shipped 6 tries?
It's all about the context for me. Normally, I'd be very unhappy with it, but it was against Sarries, at home, on the rebound from some bad form. They looked a bit scratchy in places from the highlights, but had a purple patch in which they looked pretty unplayable.
We also kept going until the death to guarantee a point. There'll be a few things for Omar and the team to work on, but I think we have to say well done on the performance and see it as a point gained.

In terms of the table, we had the same result as Irish this weekend. But would you rather have a tbp away to Saracens, or a lbp at home to Newcastle? Our points against column getting a little worse is okay by me in that context.

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 08:03
Quote:
Underdog
Quote:
Fiver
It's all about the context for me. Normally, I'd be very unhappy with it, but it was against Sarries, at home, on the rebound from some bad form. They looked a bit scratchy in places from the highlights, but had a purple patch in which they looked pretty unplayable.
We also kept going until the death to guarantee a point. There'll be a few things for Omar and the team to work on, but I think we have to say well done on the performance and see it as a point gained.

In terms of the table, we had the same result as Irish this weekend. But would you rather have a tbp away to Saracens, or a lbp at home to Newcastle? Our points against column getting a little worse is okay by me in that context.

All of this stuff. Context is everything.

IMHO you can be too black and white about these things. Yes if you want to be the best, you have to beat the best - and whilst we must be mindful that 6 tries were scored against us - we cannot beat ourselves up entirely - baby steps and acknowledging small milestones is key - you just never stop setting new ones.

It's much more conducive to progress than setting one, massive, miles away milestone to aim at.

MESSAGES->author
ARFC Warrior (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 09:26
Quote:
centrethere
Round 12 highlights are up - [www.premiershiprugby.com]

Extended highlights on BT Sport, 17 mins.

Extended Highlights

MESSAGES->author
02 January, 2018 10:09
I did notice one thing all the tries scored by Sarries weíre just after the referee had given them a penalty and played advantage. I think they were all for offside, that needs to be addressed why do we go offside so often at the breakdown?

JP

Squawker2
Squawker2 (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 10:53
Hi guys (yet another sarries fan invading your board (Sm14) )

Same comments as the others before me - was going off twitter updates before my signal stopped playing ball for first 15 mins of 2nd half, so a tense game for me. Some great tries by Worcs

Out of interest, are you guys aware of the degree that sarries have viewed you as our perennial bogey team for at least a decade? You cause more posts of concern about losing than wasps or Exeter - perhaps because last time there werenít you best us at home

Suspect youíll be climbing another position or two in weeks to come - good luck!

-----------------------------------------------------

Stuart Barnes is a Cock Womble

MESSAGES->author
02 January, 2018 11:15
Thanks for that Squawker2, we all hope so.

JP

Brummagem Bertie
02 January, 2018 20:59
Quote:
Fiver

I don't think anyone is celebrating, Fiver, just trying to take the positives out of an way game against one of the top teams in Europe.

Fully endorse what Underdog and TVM said.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net