rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

A38
Josh Adams attracting notice
A38 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 12:16

A38
Re: Josh Adams attracting notice
A38 (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 12:18

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 12:26
It's now up to the club to pay him whatever it takes to keep him.

JP

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 12:35
Is he allowed to play for Wales under this Gatlands law stuff?

MESSAGES->author
31 December, 2017 12:43
That's up to Gatland.

The Welsh clubs will say no to force him to return to Wales.

JP

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 13:04
I was going to start a thread on this.

If he continues at his current rate I can't see us keeping hold of him long term, as he will want to pursue his international ambitions, and I can see the WRU and a region getting together on this one

Freypal
Freypal (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 13:21
Quote:
West Brom Warrior
Is he allowed to play for Wales under this Gatlands law stuff?

Currently yes, it's supposed to cover those who signed a contract after the rules came into play. IE this Gatland's law nonsense came in after he'd already had a contract in the AP. It won't be up to the clubs or Gatland, it should be a case of does he qualify according to the rules or not.

If he signed a new contract now he'd have to warrant a "wildcard" place which at present he wouldn't as wing is not really a weak area for Wales with a few coming through like Steff Evans.

MESSAGES->author
Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 13:43
Hasn't Gatland's law been binned for a new rule - so many caps before you can be picked for Wales if you play outside Wales. Which is going to catch out Rhys Webb.

Quote:
The WRU has changed its senior international selection policy (SPSP) for players based outside Wales. In future any player taking up a new contract not with a Welsh region must have won 60 caps to be eligible to play for Wales.
Not sure how that affects players who have never played for Wales and were not picked up by a region like Josh.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

Eternal optimist
Eternal optimist (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 14:13
A friend of mine in Llanelli said that it was down to One of the Welsh coaches why Josh left In The first place after He had wrecked his self confidence.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 14:46
He can play for Wales whilst with us for as long as his current contract lasts for. However, he will need to make a choice at the next contract renewal as he will not be able to play for Wales if he stays with us.

MESSAGES->author
Skipper (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 14:51
He can also play for them through a wild card spot. It would be gutting to lose him as he has developed into a fantastic player and I feel there is still more to come from him.

hairyicecream
wusstawizard (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 15:50
Will he qualify for England soon/at all through residency?

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 15:57
WW, heís already tied to Wales by having played for the second level international side.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 16:55
Isnít there s change to Gatlandís Law re caps which caught Biggar out before offing to France? 50 caps?

Itís no surprise JA is attracting Welsh attention- probably most of the Prem too.

Freypal
Freypal (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 17:01
Quote:
FlipFlop
Isnít there s change to Gatlandís Law re caps which caught Biggar out before offing to France? 50 caps?
Itís no surprise JA is attracting Welsh attention- probably most of the Prem too.

Yep. 60 caps applies to new contracts. So if Adams re-signs he won't be eligible but remains eligible whilst his current contract runs.

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 18:22
My understanding is that the 60 caps threshold only applies to current internationals. I also believe that there is a proviso that the player must have been offered a contract by a Welsh region.

For players yet to be capped they are free to sign a contract with whoever and will still be eligible for selection. There are no longer any "wildcard" selections.

The upshot is that we should get his signature on a 3-year contract asap!

Welsh Senior Player Selection Policy.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 08:57
So Josh's contract just needs to be extended and his employer probably offer him a pay rise.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 09:28
Quickly as Hallam Amos is out for 6 weeks injured.

TVM Rides Again....Again
01 January, 2018 09:48
Quote:
centrethere
So Josh's contract just needs to be extended and his employer probably offer him a pay rise.

Deal.

Where do we sign?

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 10:48
Give him a 10 year contract extension and everyones a winner.

TVM Rides Again....Again
01 January, 2018 10:56
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
Give him a 10 year contract extension and everyones a winner.

This.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 11:17
Quote:
TeflonTed
WW, heís already tied to Wales by having played for the second level international side.
I'm sure there's been various players that have played U20's for their respective nations then go on to play full internationals for somebody else?
There's been cases of swapping nations at senior level too.Correct me if I'm wrong. :-)

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 11:25
The current World Rugby Laws tie players who play for any registered unionís second level international team.

That may or may not be an U20ís, it may be, for example as in England, a named team, ie The Saxons. Some minor countries donít have an official second string, and of course code swapping between union and league is allowed.

Canít think of any recent exceptions, not since the years in which the ABís routinely pillaged the Pacific Islands and players swapped from being Samoan to token Kiwis, and a few years later popped up as Samoan again.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 11:26
TT is right. Under 20's is Wales second side whereas other countries have a Saxons equivalent.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 11:28
Quote:
w4rriorz1980
Quote:
TeflonTed
I'm sure there's been various players that have played U20's for their respective nations then go on to play full internationals for somebody else?
There's been cases of swapping nations at senior level too.Correct me if I'm wrong. :-)

Not all sides have the under 20's as their second side (England do not, for one), so not all players will be tied.

The only swapping nation at a senior level I can think of involve switching from rugby league, I think all other loop holes have been closed.

Josh is tied to Wales.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 12:15
It's a shame but thanks for the clarification but iirc recently there were some AB's nearing the end of their careers who wanted to play for their country of birth.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 12:30
Can do so with agreement from world rugby, I believe. See Cooper Vuna for an example closer to home.

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 19:55
I believe that players are also tied if they have played for their country's 7s team: World Rugby Regulation 8.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

Eternal optimist
Eternal optimist (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 13:56
Just read on the BBC website that England maybe interested in Ben Vellacott. He has played for Scotland U17, U18 and U20 squads.Im probably just being a bit thick but what would be the difference between this and Josh playing for Wales U20. Do Scotland have a second tier team and Wales not?

MESSAGES->author
03 January, 2018 14:03
Correct.

Wales do have an A Team

MSR-Worcester
MSR-Worcester (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 14:09
Quote:
Eternal optimist
Just read on the BBC website that England maybe interested in Ben Vellacott. He has played for Scotland U17, U18 and U20 squads.Im probably just being a bit thick but what would be the difference between this and Josh playing for Wales U20. Do Scotland have a second tier team and Wales not?

Yes Scotland A. As JP says Wales A is also now the second tier team but prior to 2017 it was Wales U20s.

See full list here [www.worldrugby.org]

Warrior7
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 15:15
It's a shame as Wales A were re-formed a month or two before Josh played for Wales U20 in 2015, but still weren't officially recognized as the "A" team for Wales then. See Steve Shingler for the confirmation of the rules regarding Wales.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 18:16
Just saw Josh is contracted until 2019

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 18:19
Quote:
Warrior7
It's a shame as Wales A were re-formed a month or two before Josh played for Wales U20 in 2015, but still weren't officially recognized as the "A" team for Wales then. See Steve Shingler for the confirmation of the rules regarding Wales.

Why is it a shame?

Heís a Welsh lad, qualified to play for Wales, sounds about right to me!

Warrior7
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 18:47
TT, it's a shame due to the Welsh coaches at the moment - I think he will be wasted playing for Wales whilst Howley is still there.

It also means we are less likely to hold onto him in the future regarding the current rules, which is also a shame as he's a very good player and I'd like to see him stay with us.

Edit: Although now that Amos is injured again, there is a small chance of Adams playing in the 6N or June - I would welcome it as long as he stays the same player or gets better, but have a niggling feeling that it would be detrimental (would like to be proved wrong as it would be fantastic exposure for us and a great achievement for him).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/2018 18:57 by Warrior7.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net