rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Southstand(again)
Kai finally retires
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 13:57
beeb Probably the first time I got really upset about us releasing a player was when we let Kai go in 2012.
It rather coincided with a rising suspicion that Richard Hill was a "bit of a nob"

misunderstood
Re: Kai finally retires
misunderstood (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 15:41
I agree Southstand, he was always a classy player IMO

Always misunderstood

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 16:58
PE will be shedding a tear somewhere over this news iirc her admiration for him ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2018 07:39 by FlipFlop.

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 18:25
To be honest, we could have done with releasing KH a few years earlier than we did.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
31 December, 2017 22:20
Really BB?

What gem have we had in the back row in the 5 years since Kai left?

Baxter felt there was value in signing Kai and although he’s not played loads of games for Chiefs, he has played a part in an LV and Prem winning squad which wouldn’t have taken place with Warriors.

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 01:55
Quote:
Brummagem Bertie
To be honest, we could have done with releasing KH a few years earlier than we did.

As always, Bertie, I bow to your much superior knowledge and insight in these matters - As i'm sure, would Rob Baxter.

Albionwarrior
Albionwarrior (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 09:29
Top man and nice bloke

Yes agreed ..... not the best decision the club have ever made .... second only to two others in our history

(1) Appointing Richard Hill in the first place (Bet he thought he'd one the lottery ... plucked from virtual obscurity in the lower reaches of French rugby, and being given a club that could have won the championship with the squad they had with my Mom coaching)

&

(2) Retaining Mike Ruddock for the three years of his contract and causing us to witness the slow death /relegation of us the first time when the writing was on the wall after his first season in charge wasn't it?

Maybe Rose Tinted glasses, but Kai was just the kind of bloke that would have stayed with us for his career, IMO and become an Icon?

but I could be wrong

anyway onwards and upwards and he will always be missed

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 09:47
Good on him.

Great player and that rarest of things, a player retiring on his own terms.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 13:40
Chiefs plan to use him in Sales role at the club. I sense he’ll be very good at that and will no doubt continue to oversee his other business and charity duties too.

MESSAGES->author
Grasshopper (IP Logged)
01 January, 2018 16:40
IMHO the worst decision I’ve seen in 20+ years was the sacking of Andy Keast.

Letting Kai go was a surprise at the time.

Brummagem Bertie
01 January, 2018 18:04
I don't disagree that Kai was a great signing for Chiefs and did a very good job for them. Nor do I claim to have a greater knowledge of these things than Rob Baxter.

I do believe, however, that he was part of a pretty toxic group of players that held this club back, provoked the sacking of the two best coaches we have had in the professional era, and directly led to a number of very promising players leaving the club, a couple of which have become far better players and achieved far more than Kai ever did, elsewhere unfortunately for us.

That belief has been formed from talking to a number of different people, not just one person who might be thought to have a personal grudge, as well as adding together bits and pieces from various press reports down the years.

So no, I never missed him, and I'm not alone in that view.

Brummagem Bertie
01 January, 2018 19:16
Quote:
Albionwarrior
(2) Retaining Mike Ruddock for the three years of his contract and causing us to witness the slow death /relegation of us the first time when the writing was on the wall after his first season in charge wasn't it?

That would be the season we finished 1 point off 9th and got to the final of the European Challenge Cup. Not sure even the most diehard pessimist of a Warriors supporter would have considered relegation 2 seasons later a certainty, given that start.

shrewsburyman
shrewsburyman (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 11:35
The worst decision was to not sign Dean Richards as DOR.

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 13:31
I wish Kai all the best for his retirement he was a solid player for us but part of a group who should have achieved stability for Worcester Warriors in the premiership

Brummagem Bertie
02 January, 2018 20:55
Quote:
West Brom Warrior
I wish Kai all the best for his retirement he was a solid player for us but part of a group who should have achieved stability for Worcester Warriors in the premiership

Nail. Head.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
02 January, 2018 22:38
That would be a very comprehensive group then as no squad to date for us has achieved anything close to stability. If you want to say ‘Cheltenham Mafia’, just say it.

MESSAGES->author
03 January, 2018 10:42
Quote:
FlipFlop
That would be a very comprehensive group then as no squad to date for us has achieved anything close to stability. If you want to say ‘Cheltenham Mafia’, just say it.

Call them the Cheltenham Mafia if you wish however a squad containing the likes of Rico Gear, Greg Rawlinson, Pat Sanderson, Shane Drahm, Kai along with numerous promising young players like Tom Wood, Matt Mullan etc. should have achieved a lot more. The rumours of infighting were always around and the core of senior players were often at the heart of the stories, most know why Tom Wood left the club. Sure coaching was part to blame but so where the players.

Devonianwarrior
Devonianwarrior (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 12:24
For me a coach who by his man management and coaching succeeds in getting his team to be better than the sum of it's parts is a success.Rob Baxter to me is a glorious example and coincidentally where Kai went. On the other hand a coach who either by his tactics and/or his man management cannot get the best out of his players is a failure. Unfortunately Warriors have had their fair share of those including Richard Hill, in my view.

MESSAGES->author
That Councillor! (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 13:28
Great guy. I remember being on a same flight as the team on the way back from Lyon and Kai helping me get my bag into the overhead locker.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 16:58
WBW,

We haven't had a squad to bring stability in the Prem, pretty much since we arrived with or without Kai and the others. Not sure Kai was solely responsible for the lack of going ahead. Think there were bigger personalities in play at that time.

MESSAGES->author
03 January, 2018 17:30
FlipFlop I never said Kai was solely responsible for it, what I said is he was part of the group of senior players who held back the club with their cliques and undermining of other players and of the coaches.

worcestawarrior
worcestawarrior (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 18:39
Quote:
FlipFlop
Chiefs plan to use him in Sales role at the club. I sense he’ll be very good at that and will no doubt continue to oversee his other business and charity duties too.
He'll probably throw a bottle of wine in with every deal

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 20:12
Kai has sold his wine store in Cheltenham.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
03 January, 2018 22:57
He had one in Hereford as well. Anyone know if that's gone too?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net