rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

WarriorEd
Spencer to Tigers
WarriorEd (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 15:49
According to Jim Hamilton, Will Spencer is headed to the Tigers. Big loss for us!

ROLLO on tour
Re: Spencer to Tigers
ROLLO (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 16:08
Couldn't he tell us something we don't know.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 16:39
The same Jim Hamilton who said a current England international was on his way to us......

Villages12
Villages12 (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 16:40
I hope this is untrue but if not good luck to him !

He will need it judging by the number of people who have left us for Tigers and not found the international call up they expected.

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 16:43
Quote:
Villages12
I hope this is untrue but if not good luck to him !
He will need it judging by the number of people who have left us for Tigers and not found the international call up they expected.

Not to mention career-ending injury.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 17:42
So if this is true we will lose

O’Callaghan(Ireland)
Spencer(pot England)
Taylor(Eng U20, pot Wales)

Left with

Barry
Bressler

JP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2018 19:00 by Faithful_City.

MESSAGES->author
drifter (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 17:57
phillips

Al the Warrior
Al the Warrior (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 18:03
Here’s a thought, how many players who left us for bigger things and international caps have achieved this?

Have-
Hartley (although were weren’t prem at the time)
Wood
Mullan (to a degree)

Have not
Kev
Kitchener
Blaze
Miles
???

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 18:18
Mike Williams
Val Ruskin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2018 18:19 by AJWarriors.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 19:22
Miles Benjamin

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 20:02
At least it wasn’t Goode this time. Probably encouraged Hamilton to mention it. Hope their planned “Evening with” is more entertaining.

Malvern Man
Malvern Man (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 20:46
Has any player gone from Worcester to Leicester and then played for England?

MESSAGES->author
09 January, 2018 21:08
No

Hill Warrior
Hill Warrior (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 21:43
I honestly can't see the attraction of going to Leicester.
He won't be first choice and will he have as many 1st team appearances as he's getting now at Worcester
He's had England recognition while at Worcester and will be the main man in the second row if he stays
Has to be money in my opinion

HW

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 22:13
I agree completely. Only thing I disagree on is the money thing. He’s clearly our best lock by some distance and I can imagine Donnacha is on a wedge. With Donnacha leaving at the end of the year I’d be inclined to increase Will’s salary by giving him Donnacha’s money.

Also I don’t know how to take Sollys comments in the recent interview. He stated the core of the squad will be here next year or he’s confident of that. Will is obviously in that bracket so do we take that as him staying or just a comment in general?

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 22:17
Presumably mgt will target ‘keepers’ and make the priority. There will be some wastage in the existing core of the squad, which is natural each season. Not panicking yet re Spencer as I think he would be a Solomons ‘keeper’.

northstand warrior
northstand warrior (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 22:19
Maybe there is Kudos to be playing for a team like Tigers. Might be more motivation than we have considered.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 22:58
The only thing I can think of would be playing in the Champions Cup but the way they’re going they might not get anywhere near. There are rumours Dom Barrow knocked out Tom Youngs in training too so all doesn’t seem too well over there.

Will should stay in my opinion. He stands out here and he would be a real leader,but at Tigers I just feel like he will be just another player like Mike Williams has turned out to be.

If Mike had stayed here he’d be playing every week and standing out like he did before he left. Same with Matt Kvesic iwho can’t even get on Exeter’s bench at the moment.

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 23:27
The draw has to be the top tier euro champions cup, which if injuries leaves places for premiership games as well - and getting more exposure - agree with all earlier posters that nearly always the players have got sucked in (often to Tigers or others to reduce competition against us) and haven't progressed. Tom Wood and Dylan have done alright, but others would question.

Brummagem Bertie
09 January, 2018 23:28
Quote:
AJWarriors
There are rumours Dom Barrow knocked out Tom Youngs in training too so all doesn’t seem too well over there.

Is that what's led to Dom Barrow's rumoured move, or was it something Tom said in relation to said rumour?

Agree about both Williams and Kvesic.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
09 January, 2018 23:35
Apparently so B.B. an altercation was said to have happened in training between them resulting in Dom putting Ben to sleep hence the rumours Dom will be now leaving for Sale.

Brummagem Bertie
10 January, 2018 00:55
Tom Y, Ben Y, or both?

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 06:57
Tom young

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 09:06
Ben is rumoured to be going to Bristol, but there again who isn't.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 12:55
Tigers chairman has very publicly issued a “hands off” warning to Bristol

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 14:04
Quote:
northstand warrior
Maybe there is Kudos to be playing for a team like Tigers. Might be more motivation than we have considered.

I think there are many factors why I believe our players leave on a regular basis to join the Tigers:

1.Tigers have a history of playing top level rugby. Rarely (if ever) do they fall out of the top 6 meaning while we go off and play a side in Russia they play the likes of Toulon and Munster. Standing out against top level international opposition is a lot more attractive to Eddie Jones when considering international call ups.

2.Leicester are usually nor far away from the top 4 meaning they have a good chance of winning the league. We are not at that level and don’t look like reaching it currently.

3.Leicester is not a million miles away from Worcester so in terms of upheaval it is not a major move.

Hopefully we can break into that top 6 soon and therefore start to keep our best players, if we were sitting in 8th rather than 11th I wonder if players would buy into the progress of the club more?

Sutton Warrior
Sutton Warrior (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 14:17
Have to agree with the WBW analysis on this one.

As for "fights at training" - the are probably not alone in that and have always taken a perverse pride in it getting to that point.

Why would either of the Youngs move to bristol - they are not Leicester born but have come all the way through their junior system as far as i know. Tigers keep signing or developing other hookers but TY is still on the team sheet most weeks when fit.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 18:57
Looks like Guy Thompson is also Tigers bound.

Wonder if they’d give back Mike Williams?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2018 18:58 by usa warrior.

incastrowetrust
Ayerza wannabe (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 19:49
Quote:
usa warrior
Looks like Guy Thompson is also Tigers bound.
Wonder if they’d give back Mike Williams?

Isn't Thompson more 7/8 than a 6?

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 20:01
Yes, just want Mike back.

Yorkie
Yorkie (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 20:57
Quote:
usa warrior
Miles Benjamin

Was injured when he joined Tigers iirc and then got his career ending injury very soon after. Only played a handful of games for Tigers. Real shame tbh.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Yorkie
Yorkie (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 21:03
Quote:
Hill Warrior
I honestly can't see the attraction of going to Leicester.
He won't be first choice and will he have as many 1st team appearances as he's getting now at Worcester
He's had England recognition while at Worcester and will be the main man in the second row if he stays
Has to be money in my opinion

HW

Have you seen our current second row offerings/performance?

IF he joins Tigers then would definitely be first choice so will get plenty of first team starts.

Yorkie
Yorkie (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 21:09
Quote:
AJWarriors
The only thing I can think of would be playing in the Champions Cup but the way they’re going they might not get anywhere near. There are rumours Dom Barrow knocked out Tom Youngs in training too so all doesn’t seem too well over there.
Will should stay in my opinion. He stands out here and he would be a real leader,but at Tigers I just feel like he will be just another player like Mike Williams has turned out to be.

If Mike had stayed here he’d be playing every week and standing out like he did before he

left. Same with Matt Kvesic iwho can’t even get on Exeter’s bench at the moment.

I hope you're wrong re Champions Cup but I fear you're correct. Would be the first time Tigers haven't qualified though.

Is Dom punching Tom the same as Johnno laying out Lewis Moody back in their days? Normal Tuesday at Oval Park.

Mike has played more often than not for Tigers when he's been fit. His form is definitely not what it once was of late though.

Yorkie
Yorkie (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 21:11
Quote:
AJWarriors

CEO Simon Cohen to be accurate.

Brummagem Bertie
10 January, 2018 21:21
Quote:
Yorkie
Quote:
AJWarriors

CEO Simon Cohen to be accurate.

And there was me thinking it was Mr Richy Rich of Rich House, Rich Mews, Richmond. (Sm14)

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 22:37
I stand corrected lol

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 05:32
If they take Spencer, could they send Barrow our way?!

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 07:04
Quote:
Ake1985
If they take Spencer, could they send Barrow our way?!

I thought that, I'd rather keep Spencer but he'd be as good a replacement as we might get, very handy player.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 07:07
Earlier in the thread suggests Barrow to Sale- rumour.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 08:10
Quote:
FlipFlop
Earlier in the thread suggests Barrow to Sale- rumour.

I heard that rumour too, I have no expectation of getting barrow, would be nice though.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 07:15
Well this is far more positive, although still think he's off so won't get my hopes up too much.

[www.worcesternews.co.uk]

MESSAGES->author
12 January, 2018 07:42
That reads really good, he wants to be here - how much are we prepared to pay to keep him?

JP

Blue&GoldWarrior
Blue&GoldWarrior (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 09:14
Agree really good read and makes me feel that if we give him what we want then he would stay!

Really interesting to see his point on Worcester being a place to get noticed. Surely if we have Spencer, Te'o, Mills, Schonert, Singleton on Eng radar and Adams on Wales' more players will see us as somewhere to 1. Get more game time and 2. Have a chance of Int Caps!

Makes it even more important to keep these guys!

Offa
Offa (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 09:26
We really need to keep him, and this reads like it is possible. I give a lot of credit to Eddie Jones who is not afraid to pick anyone if he thinks they are good enough, no matter where they play. I recall with horror the Lancaster days, where (despite Pens being in the sqad) it was established wisdom that he really wanted to select from teams playing European Cup rugby. Lewis Moody did not help.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 10:09
Quote:
Faithful_City
That reads really good, he wants to be here - how much are we prepared to pay to keep him?
JP

I agree. That’s very promising with what he said despite people saying he’s already signed for Tigers. Seems like we have a very happy group. I hope he realises he’s a vital cog in the wheel and the club do their best to keep him on. He’s very appreciated here

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 10:45
I suppose we are talking about money? Which brings this all back full circle to the ownership issue, the budget, who controls it and what their "ambition" is.

There's a piece in The Times today about the salary which Marcus Smith will earn at Quins (£200k pa plus) next season. Salary inflation is going to be a huge issue going forward in my view.

At Worcester, whoever owns the club, decisions will have to be taken as to how much each player can be afforded. I doubt that the out of contract existing squad can be retained without a bump in the salary bill, a salary bill which will have to be elastic enough to attract the players on the shopping list AND build the strength in depth which we are all crying out for.

That's all going to cost an eye watering amount of money.

It's easy enough for us to say: get out the cheque book and keep him. But that's just one wage packet - what about the other 40 or so?

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 10:51
Blue&GoldWarrior Eddie Jones is a frequent visitor at Sixways.

halfback09
halfback09 (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 10:53
I remember a few years back Gloucester was a club where players who were struggling for game time would go there to get international recognition, billy 12trees is a very good example of the top of my head. If we could become something like that, that'd be fantastic. That would start with players like spencer commiting to the club

Blue&GoldWarrior
Blue&GoldWarrior (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 11:33
Quote:
ROLLO
Blue&GoldWarrior Eddie Jones is a frequent visitor at Sixways.

Yes, have seen him and Borthwick there a couple of times. Its all good signs and surely can only help attract the sort of players who are 'stuck behind others' and the bigger clubs.

If you look at three of players in recent weeks we've been praying stay, Mills, Spencer and Lewis. All have been these sort of fringe players at other clubs who we've given game time and exposure to.

Thank god 2 have signed up, just waiting for the 3rd grinning smiley

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 11:36
Rollo: Are the sightings on Friday nights?

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 12:03
Spencer making the right noises.

[www.worcesternews.co.uk]

Offa
Offa (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 14:01
Nice one Flippy!

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 14:27
Quote:
A38
Rollo: Are the sightings on Friday nights?
ha ha!

gmem
Garym (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 16:06
Out of interest when is our next home league game, oh it’s a Saturday

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 19:14
It'll never catch on....

gmem
Garym (IP Logged)
12 January, 2018 20:36
Quote:
FlipFlop
It'll never catch on....
you are quite right on that one ....

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 10:02
Have we considered the Tigers link might be a bargaining tool from his agents? Hopefully the case and pay him what he wants!

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 10:26
He has delivered on the pitch, is young and defo a keeper. Doubt Bressler cost as much as DoC or Spencer so some money to add to a deal for a good, known and established player. Sure Mgt could land this one.

Think Willison silence is a concern still.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 10:46
If I remember correctly came to talk to us after a training session last Spring (?). He made a good impression then. His leadership potential has been mentioned in the past and I wonder if he might be a candidate for captaincy at some point.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 11:26
If he does stay then I’d like to see either Millsy as captain and Will as vice captain. Both play consistently well and have very good leadership attributes

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net