rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Sheldon
Recruitment priorities
Sheldon (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 21:57
Having looked at Bath and other top sides I think our top recruitment priorities should be

1 we need four international standard half backs including FH so three more like Priestland Burns and KF or Farrell Wrigglesworth Spencer etc

2 Keep most of the rest of the existing squad

Fail with no 1 and we are in another relegation struggle.Paying well under the salary cap makes that very difficult.

Our talk is about keeping what we have got but nothing more ambitious

We need a new ambitious owner with extremely deep pockets otherwise world domination may well continue to be elusive

usa warrior
Re: Recruitment priorities
usa warrior (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 22:25
Id say we need more than that.

Add a 1, 4, and 5 to that. I'm assuming Doc and Will leave.

Like to see a 15 with potential to develop in a few years. Possibly a centre or two depending on departures.

Sheldon
Sheldon (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 22:35
Yes replace any leavers

I have been following Ollie Laurence and seen him live a few times

I think he might be the real deal and we may have to plan for him to start next year

Will butler is also highly ratec by England but is not obvious why yet

Pennell will undoubtedly get older but this year he is playing really well

I guess you are right as there is no clear long term replacement

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 23:09
Cipriani is available, contract ends this season and Wasps have signed the All Black 10

JP

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 23:11
Who? Lima Sopoaga?

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 23:15
Quote:
AJWarriors
Who? Lima Sopoaga?

Yes.

As to Cips, he’ll happily come to Wuss when our new owners relocate us to somewhere near the Mediterranean coast of France.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
10 January, 2018 23:20
Wow! He’s an amazing player! Very impressive signing

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 07:01
We must be realistic, one international class fly half would do me with shilcock as backup.
Not many sides have baths money or depth.

We are desperate for another lock doubly so as Spencer seems to be off.

We lack star quality in the front row and backrow, we could do with at least one improvement in both.

Forwards are where we generally are getting out played, thus needs most improvement.

I'd also like another centre as the balance looked wrong against bath, we needed a more direct runner in midfield.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 07:15
Shouldn’t be too tricky to solve the above.....,if we weren’t 11th and in the midst of being sold.

Hopefully Solomon’s can get some gems with his contacts and weave magic with the Agents for those we need to keep otherwise more of the same next year, maybe worse, with Briz arrival.

MESSAGES->author
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 07:19
Front row, second row and back row. 10 possibly 9. Then depends on Willison and Adams.

MESSAGES->author
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 07:48
In my limited opinion recruitment needs to be sensible.

We have had players that have been of International quality:-

Gear
Latham
Sanderson
Murray
Best
Gomersall
Chalmers
Wood
Creevy
et al

We have never made mid table with these players however we do need a top level 10 in this elk ready to go (if we can attract one)

The squad needs to be deeper than it it and the whole greater than the sum of its parts (Exeter)

Bristol are going to be very strong next season so if we dont recruit well assuming we get through this season, next season will be a potential relegation battle without some clever recruitment.

Comes back to who the new owners will be and how much cash they are willing to put to the salary cap and marquee players.

Uncertain times still.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 08:35
Knightempler I don't think that Chalmers was with us when we were any where near the AP and Wood only became an international when he left.
I agree that apart from 10 it is mostly in the pack that we need to recruit ; lock because of leavers and props because of depth of quality.
It dosn't all need to be big names though, blend of squad is important. How players compliment each others strengths is vital and therefore how Solomons see's our play developing will have an impact.
We also have to have the pathway for players from the academy ( the main thrust of DR's 5 year plan) Singleton , Adams, Humphreys and Shillcock have made it, who will be the next?
We also have to include the coaches in this appraisal.
It is tricky times.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 09:31
I am not doubting that Briz will arrive with a bang, but surely they too can only spend the Cap + Marquee and no more. Sometimes the impression given is that they can assemble a World All Stars side for next year without any consideration of the cap.

I agree they may potentially get more 'bang for their buck' with Lam at the helm, but you can't squeeze a £10 mill side into a £7 mill cap.....well not within the supposed cap rules we are expected to follow anyway.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 09:47
I'm sure that the coaching staff at Sixways have a "want list" very similar to those above. Hogg said at the meeting in the Autumn that Worcester needed 4 or 5 quality players to be a mid table side and I don't imagine that anybody would disagree with that.

There is though a huge gulf between "wanting" and "getting" and we all know the reasons why Worcester is not an attractive destination for the quantity of quality players needed. Those reasons do not need to be repeated.

But this recruitment season there is the added problem of ownership and inevitably the size of the budget.

I don't believe that we should pay any attention to the blurb in the sales document - see separate thread- about the playing budget because whoever owns the club in the future will determine the budget.

We don't know how that is going to work out. Clearly the coaches have a budget to be working on - hence the few re-signings we have already seen - but that may or may not be the last word. A new owner may want to spend more.

And that brings us back to timing. Will a new owner be in place soon enough to catch this year's recruitment window?

The final point to make is that rugby player salary inflation has to be taken into account. It's getting even more expensive to buy in the talent needed even to stand still at a time when squad depth is also a "must".

Deep pockets are truly needed to run a Premiership club these days.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 10:02
Didn't Sarries build their team initially by going to SA where player wages are lower? EQP has bumped up wages artificially. Why not put the horse before the cart, and go for a good team first, and then allow the the success to buy in EQP players whilst bringing in academy youngsters.

I'm not sure what motivation there is for good southern hemisphere players to come to England, I'd guess that playing in the Aviva Premiership would be a good enough reason for many. It helps if you can say to a player, "come to Worcester, we've just signed X & Y".

Any decent 10 should be happy to play outside FH, but they're not daft. They know to look at the second choice 9 as well for when FH is injured or away with SA. And that goes for every shirt number, to my knowledge there is no other sport that really defines the term "team sport".

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 19:27
Sarries bought players in ignoring the salary cap, the south Africans they got weren't cheap.

Money is the normal motivation for all players to come in, if we don't pay more then we're relying on academy players or people with something to prove.

I agree with us needing balance with our signings, without Spencer next season we'll need someone other than just Denton making the hard yards up the middle, mama has been a big lose there.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
11 January, 2018 19:34
dexile your first sentence says it all, no club will be able to follow that model now ( ? )

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net