rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

w4rriorz1980
Today
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 16:57
A thriller but 2 points lost IMHO!
Quarter final beckons though.
Connacht were there for the taking.Some poor decisions and handling errors by us and too many points left out on the field.
Nothing much to say about Sir other than he was poor! How long can you have advantage?!
Generally happy,Brive will be difficult in France but I'm hoping we've done enough to get through.
Well done Humphries! (The new Adams!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/01/2018 21:11 by w4rriorz1980.

A38
Re: Today
A38 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 17:12
I think the most debatable decision this afternoon was Connacht's. At the end, they decided to kick for the corner rather than taking the 3 points. I suppose that they were after the 4th try.

Anyway, an "interesting" afternoon having been more or less surrounded by well oiled supporters of the visitors. They were here for a good time and they certainly saw a decent game of rugby.

I'm not so sure that Connacht were there for the taking. They look a very decent side and they scored some good tries.

I will certainly take the draw and some encouragement from the game.

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 17:25
you will rarely win a game if you dont score a single second half point. We threw that away just like worcester of old but agree Connacht werent bad.

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 17:30
I definitely don't think Connacht were there for the taking, they were the better team for 3/4s of the game! It's lucky they gave us a 12 point head start!

Denton was superb again! Great tackle in the corner from Hammond!

Someone needs to show Dowsett what to do with an under pressure scrum!!

Thought the Ref had a good game to be honest, not many contentious decisions.

Touchliner
Touchliner (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 17:51
Agreed - can't blame the ref.

Kicking - 2 out of 5 against 4 out of 4. Enough said

shrewsburyman
shrewsburyman (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 18:40
Spot on Ake. The decision to box kick by FH with them down to 13 defies belief.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 18:46
Thought Aki's "try" was worth a TMO intervention tbf.As said before great tackle by Hammond.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 18:59
Quote:
shrewsburyman
Spot on Ake. The decision to box kick by FH with them down to 13 defies belief.
O yeah,forgot about that! FH certainly not at the levels he was last season but he's still our best 9.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 19:18
Quote:
w4rriorz1980
Thought Aki's "try" was worth a TMO intervention tbf.As said before great tackle by Hammond.

There wasnít a TMO. There was only one broadcast standard camera on the gantry, plus one smaller, and there were no ground cameras.

He wouldnít have had much to check on would he?

Match officials....
[www.epcrugby.com]

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 19:20
Quote:
TeflonTed
Quote:
w4rriorz1980

There wasnít a TMO. There was only one broadcast standard camera on the gantry, plus one smaller, and there were no ground cameras.

He wouldnít have had much to check on would he?

Match officials....
[www.epcrugby.com]
Thanks Ted.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 19:34
Today was a lesson yet again in what happens when players drop their levels. We came out of the blocks at a rate of knots in the first half and got two tries. The rest of the half was then fairly even.

The second half was awful by us, and good from them. You just can't drop off like that at the top flight, to the point where I'm now thinking we need to let some players go at the end of the season if they can't play 80 minutes without dozing off.

Probably a great game for the neutral.

BrumBrum
BrumBrum (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 20:39
Agree with above Denton was 1st rate.
Again disappointed with FH as we know what he can do.
Weird that we seemed to drop off when they went down to 13.

WorcesterSauce
13 January, 2018 20:40
Brive win with 5 points making our capitulation all the more worse. A 5 point win today would have all but secured a QF place. As it stands we now have to go and avoid defeat in France. Something we havent done in our last 10 attempts (of course we havent, that wouldve meant an away win) since we beat Montauban in 2008. Fairly sure we are going to bottle this.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 21:02
Nil points in the 2nd half will cost us dearly.

However 4 converted tries would have been 28 points! The 2nd conversion miss was poor and why oh why when they had lost a forward did we choose to go for a very difficult penalty instead of taking a Scrum in front of the posts???

JP

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 09:03
Bit of a weird one that. Hard to say we deserved a result after the second half performance, but you have to credit the side for hanging in there when we were getting played off the park at times.

Connacht are a nifty side and have great support. I enjoyed the game overall. Big performances for me were from Humphreys, Waller and Lewis.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 11:51
I had predicted a win of 22:19 with 3 tries = 2pts

We actually drew with 4 Tries = 3pts.

We missed out on a point(my expectations), so not downhearted at all.

We can still qualify out of this and then put out our best 23 available. We can add players when the knockout stages start(I think)

3 teams out of all the 2nd place teams in their respective tables will qualify at the moment we are one of those 3.

We beat Tigers away why not Brive away??

JP

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 12:03
I'm inclined to agree with JP. I'd have settled for the draw before the match, and we're doing a lot better than in previous years.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 13:03
What yesterday showed IMHO were two things ( apart from taking the points when kicking)

1 A real lack of proper coaching.
Wuss down one man they score two tries , the first off a training ground move. Connacht two men down we score one try. Didn't Connacht score twice whilst we were one man down over there? We should be knowing what to do to counter both situations.
2. Leadership and control on the pitch. As others have pointed out some of our decision making is just not smart enough. We have little control currently at half back - Mills appears to be running the show from 12. Maybe this is down in some way to coaching?

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 13:20
Taking up Rollo's point about Mills at 12 running the play but not at 10, and developing it a little, yesterday we had the usual, established full back out of position at 13, a prolific scoring wing at full back, two wings promoted for the game (and not doing badly at all) and a young 10 just back from injury and still playing himself in. If we add to that a 9 who is also playing himself back into form it's not surprising that some fluency might have been missing.

The forwards certainly missed Spencer's inroads and whilst GJVV had a good game we are badly short of ball carriers in the pack, other than Denton who can't do it all himself, if only to tie in the opposition and create gaps.

So, all in all, I'm not that disappointed with the game. Connacht are a good outfit and should not be undervalued.

But the points made above are valid about coaching. It just might be that that department is simply ticking over at the moment waiting on the decision on ownership and possibly new people coming in.

WorcesterSauce
14 January, 2018 13:53
I think drawing (just) to the pro 14s 11th best side isnt good enough and dont believe we'll beat Brive away. Hopefully im proven wrong.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 14:25
Would you say drawing to the Pro 14 12th best place.... Ospreys isnít good enough either? Connacht were Pro 14 Champions a few seasons back donít forget

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 14:58
I think the key point is that when you're playing at home and 10 points up at half time, you shouldn't lose to anyone. I don't care how good Connacht are, unless we aspire to mediocrity, we should have bossed that game in our own back yard. Put simply, we didn't.

Technically, we have the players. Mentally, it appears, we don't.

WorcesterSauce
14 January, 2018 15:06
Fiver's post makes me realise I should probably expand on mine.

Drawing at home to Pro 14s 11th best team, when a win is needed to guarantee qualification, when we are 12 points up in 10 minutes then 10 points up with 30 minutes left and playing 13 men for 8 minutes. We also put out an extremely strong side.

Given the above circumstances that is a terrible result.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 15:12
I've just listened to the post match comments made by Hogg. He claims Connacht played keep ball when down to 13 and we couldn't turn them over. I don't remember us trying to turn them over. We pretty much let them execute their game plan.

shrewsburyman
shrewsburyman (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 16:41
With due respect that is a pretty facile comment by CH. First what would he expect them to do but more importantly why did we give the ball to them by box kicking twice when they were down to 13 men!

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 19:12
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
Fiver's post makes me realise I should probably expand on mine.
Drawing at home to Pro 14s 11th best team, when a win is needed to guarantee qualification, when we are 12 points up in 10 minutes then 10 points up with 30 minutes left and playing 13 men for 8 minutes. We also put out an extremely strong side.

Given the above circumstances that is a terrible result.

See I can completely agree there. Iím with you on that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net