rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Warriordad
Game Plan
Warriordad (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 22:02
So what is our game plan?

In the last two games we have had no defensive line speed, we never seems to counter ruck and donít seem capable of pushing team back. Today there was a ruck with three players stood up from the opposition and facing the wrong way and we didnít even try to slow the ball diwn. Where is our fight?

Attack wise we seem to only have a plan A which is kick poorly and try and play round teams. If this fails, like it did for the second half today and all of last week then we donít seem to have a more direct plan B. We always play one out and never carry from the base when the teams we play put a nine in the guard position. It almost seems a bit robotic, like they are told not to do these things.

It concerning because like I said the players clearly arenít playing what is in front of them or they have been coached not to do these basics.

w4rriorz1980
Re: Game Plan
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
13 January, 2018 22:58
Think you've hit the nail on the head.
Hope the coaches read this.

MESSAGES->author
Grasshopper (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 00:33
I was so pi&&Ed off with last weekís shambolic performance that, earlier this when when my wife suggested a day/night away in a really good hotel in the countryside this weekend, I didnít hesitate.

Iím so glad that we did, especially after seeing this result. Weíve been having a great time and Iíve not missed the game today (and almost certainly its frustrations in the second half), at all.

I donít know what experience Warriordad has, but if he can see what is going wrong, WTF are the coaching team doing?

Warriors have been stuck in a rut for far too long, with no signs of any consistent improvement.

Hoggís had his chance ... and heís shown that heís not good enough to take the team any further.

Itís time for change! Hopefully our new DOR has someone better in his sights. If he hasnít, then our Warriors will continue to be one of the perennial relegation candidates, even on the basis of having financial backers who would be prepared to accept such mediocrity.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 00:49
At the open training session on 26th Oct l asked Sam Vesty why we didnít seem to be playing what was in front of us, rather than relying on set moves.

He agreed we should be doing that more, and that if I knew how to get that across he wished Iíd explain it to him. He was joking, of course, but not much seems to have changed.

Was that really essentially the same team today that put 5 tries past Tigers at Welford Rd?

Our first 2 scores were adventurous to say the least, other than that we were very easily contained.

I worry, I really do.

Turv032
Turv032 (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 07:13
As I have said on other thread's, we played a much weakened Tigers away and Saint's at home, it was just papering over the crack's.
We will survive this season but need help for next.

Offa
Offa (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 08:12
Everytime a new player arrives they tell us that they cannot believe the level of detail that goes on at WW. This is fed to us by a press officer who clearly thinks that it is a good thing. But rugby is a simple game. I worry that our coaches are overly complicating things and confusing the troops. Do players forget to be intense or how to catch if they are trying to think three moves ahead and how to manipulate the opposition? I may be way off beam here as this is all based upon new player statements and no evidence of our attention to detail working on the pitch.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 08:50
The breakdown and collision is where our game is failing.

We have a specific breakdown coach.

Unfortunately he is part time, never attends a game and is head coach at Moseley for most of the time. Where do you think his focus is?

JP

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 09:08
As I've alluded to on another thread, I think 9 is part of the problem (sort of).

Given his performances for the past two seasons, the coaches are probably relying on FH to fix the defence allowing us a bit more space out wide. However, he's not in top form at the moment, meaning sides have drifted off him a little bit.

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 09:11
I thought we looked pretty sharp in attack in the first half. In the second half we just couldnít get the ball. We got in their 22 once. We conceded penalty after penalty and defensively we couldnít force the turnover or push them back. Total dominance by the opposition again at home.

Also got to question our decision making. We get a penalty on their five meter line with a man advantage but decide to kick despite not having a good kicker and we duly miss the (pretty easy) three points.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 09:12
Quote:
Carl Hogg
ďAt half-time we talked about holding them down in the back end of the field in their half, getting our line speed high, getting our collisions high and forcing errors out of them.

Well you didnít do it once after your halftime talk!

JP

MESSAGES->author
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 09:33
Anyone remember the Brain era and total forward domination?!

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 09:43
Yes, effective in some regard, but boring in others, as could be said of the latter stages of Hillís tenure. It was also a side that was known from 1 to 8 bar injury, despite form. Not quite the utopian image, but when recent packs have failed, always referenced.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 12:47
Yesterday the game plan seemed to me for Mills to be the playmaker at 12 with little of that task falling to Shillcock.

Warriordad
Warriordad (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 13:48
Itís interesting to hear what everyone is thinking.

I think it struck me that our back doesnít seem to have true grit about it. We were bullied in the second half. Even our backs started to fail against the opposition who were very intense and direct.

I think the thing that did it for me at the ruck was watching hougaard get hit on his blindside and knock on and then he was subbed. Shortly for the same to happen to dowsett.

I also agree that potentially Worcester are coaches to closely in to a single mindset of play, and if we need to do anything but that we just donít have the ability to play what we see.

Hougaard is out of form although credit to him, the box kicking was much better yesterday. Even mills looked a bit lost yesterday. We were bullied in that second half and maybe due to the lack of successful tactical kicking we just didnít know what to do.

Pens is not a 13. Also, I think yesterday is the first time this year we could have used Teo. Just because he is direct.

Iím not in preofessional sport, but as for breakdown coach? How much coaching can be done here? It is relatively simple, hit hard, low to high and protect your nine. I think 70% of the breakdown and defence is pure desire to work.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 15:03
Pennell isn't a 13, but we haven't got anyone fit who is. Jacko isn't registered for the competition and everyone else is broken.

It does lead me to a simple question, which is why do we need to register players for the competition? Is the idea to stretch teams if they get injury problems so the best teams don't necessarily do very well? Surely all it risks doing is playing players who aren't yet ready to come back because there is no one else available.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 20:51
We lack enough powerful carriers, mainly in the forwards but due to injuries in the backs as well at the minute.

Coaching alone can only do so much.

misunderstood
misunderstood (IP Logged)
14 January, 2018 21:19
If the point was to rest players in Europe then the top clubs would not do very well!
I suspect we select the EU player squad based on rotation as we don't see it as priority

Always misunderstood

MSR-Worcester
MSR-Worcester (IP Logged)
15 January, 2018 11:46
Quote:
Fiver
Pennell isn't a 13, but we haven't got anyone fit who is. Jacko isn't registered for the competition and everyone else is broken.
It does lead me to a simple question, which is why do we need to register players for the competition? Is the idea to stretch teams if they get injury problems so the best teams don't necessarily do very well? Surely all it risks doing is playing players who aren't yet ready to come back because there is no one else available.

Pennell isn't a 13 agreed. Thought he really struggled to contain Bundee Aki on Saturday. Think Hammond should be given a chance there against Brive, or Stelling (if fit).

Willison is registered but given he has hardly missed a game this season we rested him.

Gameplan was clearly built around a territory based game with little kicks in behind to put Connacht under pressure. Two of which resulted in tries for Lewis and Humphreys.

We weren't able to utilise our gameplan in the second half as Connacht were able to keep hold of the ball for long periods. They also put our scrum under significant pressure so we could not build an attacking platform.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
15 January, 2018 12:10
I'm presuming we won't have Hougaard for Brive as he has tweeted that he's off to Miami.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
15 January, 2018 12:45
Always curious about the FH Instagram posts. Not sure if he is now in Florida or if this was a past post.

If he is in US, presumably resting for Prem or has he got injured himself?

He seems off the form at present. He couldn't bail us out for another season.

If i'm honest, and have nothing to base this belief on, i think FH, WO and DP will all be off at the end of the season, possibly with BT as part of a changing of the guard.

It is clear that we need to be spending in key areas of the team now / and close season and believe that we have to free some cash up to do it as with the ownership limbo (and initially even with new owners) i can't see wedge being put up to bring in a 10 and some Pack resources, before looking at the Backs for depth improvement.

Warriordad
Warriordad (IP Logged)
15 January, 2018 13:21
If our strategy was field position we failed miserably, most of the time we couldnít get out our own half. Just reviewing that stats from the game and most of it reads we kicked poorly and missed tackles. To say the game plan is territory is a bit of a cop out, rugby is a territory invasion based game?

I think three of our tries were individual efforts. Where as Connacht manage to really build momentum which is something we just donít do.

If that is our game plan it needs changeling as right now we donít kick well, we missed 27 tackles and have away 9 penalties.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
15 January, 2018 13:28
When we did kick into their 22, they simply ran the ball out into midfield. They realised we don't put pressure on with a decent chase. In fact, we didn't form a decent defensive line either.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
15 January, 2018 14:49
Quote:
Warriordad
If our strategy was field position we failed miserably, most of the time we couldnít get out our own half. Just reviewing that stats from the game and most of it reads we kicked poorly and missed tackles.

Where do you get match stats from out of curiosity?

Warriordad
Warriordad (IP Logged)
15 January, 2018 16:47
I get them of the European rugby challenge cup website. They seem reasonably accurate but I couldnít find territory or possession anywhere. Let me know if you do find them.

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
15 January, 2018 17:42
27 missed tackles? The defence felt soft on the day but didnít realise it was that bad.

Warriordad
Warriordad (IP Logged)
16 January, 2018 10:07
My mistake it was actually 29 tackles we missed. We made 173, so 85%? Which is highly surprising when we sat back defensively. At least with a press defence you sacrifice the odd missed tackle for metres gained overall.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net