rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Abmatt
Heem to Saints
Abmatt (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 11:26
According to fissler in TRP. Apparently considering an offer.

Seems strange to me as they are a no better proposition than staying where he is imho.

Whispering_Death
Re: Heem to Saints
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 11:49
Similar type of player to North so would make sense for them. They may not be playing well but they are still better than us.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 12:09
Would hate this to happen. If he goes home, so be it, but to another Prem side with no known DoR would be a sickener. Maybe Phil has been on the blower to a few old mates?

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 12:14
Just watch the floodgates open!

All down to Club indecision!

Would you commit your financial future to Warriors at this present time?

JP

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 13:51
Quote:
Faithful_City

JP

I would like to have a professional rugby contract so yes, yes I would.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 13:59
Then you may be desperate for a contract.

Those who can get contracts at more financially stable club may well think differently

JP

worcestawarrior
worcestawarrior (IP Logged)
21 January, 2018 22:43
Quote:
Faithful_City

JP
All depends on what the plAyers know that we don't. Having said that you can't keep a secret at Sixways

Redditch Crowd
Redditch Crowd (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 15:32
Down to money - simple as that - if you get a pay rise of a substantial amount for moving to a team 'down the road' then you take it... we might love our team, but the players need to earn their living...

gmem
Garym (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 15:41
Interesting that Ben Foden is saying that he is in "limbo" as there is nobody to talk contracts with at Saints.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/01/2018 17:14 by Garym.

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 19:19
Ben Foden should come up the road and talk to Alan Solomon's then. Not the player he was but would be a great squad player covering fullback and wings

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
22 January, 2018 22:21
Disagree.

Adams, Humphreys, Pennell, Howard, Howe and Heem are better. We've been down the road of old has beens...

Ronster
Drahm for England (IP Logged)
23 January, 2018 08:10
This could also simply be agent talk to try & get more money - are Saints really in a better place than us right now as they have no permanent DOR?

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
23 January, 2018 08:15
With Foden saying that there is actually no one to do any negotiating with, I'd say the answer is "no".

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
23 January, 2018 09:43
To further contextualise this, Josh Bassett is rumoured to have pulled out of his deal with Saints due to the state they’re in atm. Some suggestions he’d actually agreed terms, etc, before pulling the plug.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
23 January, 2018 09:54
It’s a typical January. Panic and hysteria all over the place.....someone thinks there’s a “burst bubble” (whatever that is) because the Irish game is on a Sunday.

However, returning to Heem, shame if he goes, but who’d blame him for trying to improve his position, and most would see FG as a (slightly) better place to be than 6Ws at the moment.

As for Foden, he’s 32, hardly an “old has been” Saucie! He’s certainly past his best, that’s irrelevant, the real question is is he better than we’ve got now, and although he’s now seen as a back 3 player, don’t forget he was once a 9.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
23 January, 2018 09:55
And a very good 9 at that!

Simba
Simba (IP Logged)
23 January, 2018 10:21
Bit not a good enough 9 to make it his prime position, despite his wishes.

MESSAGES->author
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
23 January, 2018 10:40
He's not too shabby at kicking from hand and kicking deep either.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
23 January, 2018 10:42
Agreed Simba, but irrelevant.

The real question is, IF (a big if) FH were to depart, would he be better than our other currently available 9's?.

For me there's not much doubt he'd be more than good enough to be realistically looking at starts in the back 3.

hairyicecream
wusstawizard (IP Logged)
23 January, 2018 11:10
Foden is waaaay past it, he's not a Premiership standard player any more.

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
23 January, 2018 11:42
Quote:
usa warrior
With Foden saying that there is actually no one to do any negotiating with, I'd say the answer is "no".

Whereas we have someone to negotiate with (Solly), just no one willing, it would seem, to confirm that the money and ambition is still here to approve the deal.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
23 January, 2018 11:48
Mills and Lewis seemed willing??

I'd heard Heem was off back home anyhow, regardless of who was in charge.

Brummagem Bertie
23 January, 2018 11:54
Renewing deals of existing players may be fairly easy in financial terms, if there isn't a large increase of salary involved and it's known that some well paid stars are leaving, like Heem (Spencer?) to free up some budget.

Getting approval for new signings may be a different matter.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
23 January, 2018 12:07
We seemed to get Bresler in fairly quickly.

I think I see your point, but I suspect that there is an agreed minimum budget set that was also a point within the sale negotiations. Wasn't that alluded to at the previous evening with "Bill and Carl"?

That should ensure that AS knows what his spend limit is I expect.

Brummagem Bertie
23 January, 2018 13:01
We did get Bresler in quickly, having had a chunk of salary freed up by CSW leaving. Not 'new' money.

Sutton Warrior
Sutton Warrior (IP Logged)
23 January, 2018 13:12
A lot of agent lead chatter being presented as fact by lazy journos. Heem - would being stuck on the wing at Saints be any better than WW? i think not. They have had george north there for several seasons and manifestly failed to use his considerable talents other than to chase kicks. Foden - not what he was ( but he was very good if a bit irritating) so might be worth a bet. His comments are just designed to put a rocket up the club, aren't they?

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 17:48
Quote:
wusstawizard
Foden is waaaay past it, he's not a Premiership standard player any more.

[youtu.be]

Moved from 11 to his old slot at 15 early in the game, made Tuitavake's try and scored one solo from inside his own half against current French super 14 Champions Clermont the other week to pick up man of the match honours, which rather undermines that statement.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 18:24
Agree MarchingIn.

Probably past his peak, but as far as I’m concerned I’d have him like a shot. Particularly with Josh and Heem seemingly likely to be off.

WorcesterSauce
29 January, 2018 20:16
Foden would be a gigantic step down if he is our replacement for either Heem or Adams. Wizard is right - past it and will only worsen from hereon in, no thanks. If he is our replacement for Heem/Adams it will speak volumes about where we are as a club and our ambitions.

hairyicecream
wusstawizard (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 20:27
I've watched Foden 5 or 6 times this season and he doesn't even look like a rugby player anymore; he seems to have forgotten how to do all of the basics (catching, passing, kicking) and is a real rabbit in the headlights.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 20:28
No point comparing him with Heem or Adams, if they’re off, they’re off.

The only valid comparison is with whoever replaces either or both of them. And how well is that likely to go?

And don’t talk to me about the future, we have a “now’” problem, and need a “now” solution.

Remember when people mocked Goodie when he arrived?

He was seen as past his best, and of course he was. But he was better than most alternatives we could get in, and so would Foden be.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 20:37
TT two very valid points.

1. Goode was better than anything else we could get at the time and for some period after.

2.In out current situation we also need some reinforcements for this season - stand off/loosehead and maybe 9 ( depending upon injuries) to help us escape the drop.

P.S. My man in Cortina has agreed with your man that we will not let the chalet to any minor royals after what happened this Christmas. We will go back to letting to the Russians - hope you agree.

worcestawarrior
29 January, 2018 21:09
They are chatting on the Bristol forum that Heem is rumoured to be on their shopping list, don't blame them if true

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 21:20
Who isn’t on the Bristol Rugby Pro 18/19 shopping list?

WorcesterSauce
29 January, 2018 21:20
TT i was only continuing on from your last sentence ''Particularly with Josh and Heem seemingly likely to be off.''

I think there is every point in comparing them with Adams and Heem as they are who Foden will directlt replace. If we keep bringing in players who are worse than those leaving, we will naturally get worse.

Goode was a bit different as he could kick and he would still do a job at that even now. He was undoubtably decent for us and i don't remember him being mocked when we signed him - quite the opposite in fact. I don't think the same could be said about Foden. Poor mans Pennell IMO and wouldn't even address the 'now problem'. Would he get in the team ahead of Pennell, Hammond or Humphreys? I'd argue no, and i'd also argue i'd even rather see Howe and Hougaard ahead of him on the wing too. Would he require a pretty hefty wage package that could be better spent elsewhere... yes.

Adams is still contracted for another year anyway, isn't he? I think it's probable that 1 of him and Heem will leave but i would be surprised if both packed their bags this summer. If, for instance Adams does, as expected, see out his contract, that would mean Foden would be our third, arguably fourth choice fullback.... just nowhere near worth it.

MarchingIn
MarchingIn (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 21:48
Quote:
wusstawizard
I've watched Foden 5 or 6 times this season and he doesn't even look like a rugby player anymore; he seems to have forgotten how to do all of the basics (catching, passing, kicking) and is a real rabbit in the headlights.

I was in favour of Saints dropping him back in 2015/16 as he was very uninspired, but he has hit form lately and I'm happy to see him starting at the moment, and if he keeps playing well, happy to see him get a new deal.

If you'd watched certain Saints games this year, you could have drawn the conclussion that a number of successful internationals are now a load of pap, but that would be overstating the case. Saints have been woeful at times (vs Worcester for one), yet the same squad put Bath, Tigers & Quins away in quick succession and took Clermont to bits. Totally inconsistent, quite mentally fragile, and sometimes underpowered and lazy 1-8 at present unfortunately.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 22:20
Rollo, we have to trust our people.

I wasn’t concentrating when I first saw “Cortina”, given the content of another thread where “Grenada” has been mentioned.

Were they not vehicles that we used to equip the household staff with? Made by some vulgar American owned company IIRC.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
29 January, 2018 22:39
Saucie, I’m aware of Josh’s contract period, but surely you know all about his Wales selection issues, and that the re-negotiation of all contracts subject to agreement of all parties, (via suitable compensation) is now established protocol.

So, either could leave, and maybe both. I hope they don’t, but we’re discussing the posssible recruitment of a classy player who may or may not be interested or available.

Of course it’s of passing interest to compare any recruit with an ex-player covering similar positions, but if, for example, Josh does go, you might as well compare Foden to Chris Garrard or any other departed winger. It’s irrelevent.

Surely what’s far more important is who we get in, and how they’d fit in with t’others. And would he start ahead of Pennell, Hammond or Humphreys.....probably not if all fit, but if he’s happy to warm the bench and add vast experience to our cover, then I’d be happy to see him in.

worcestawarrior
31 January, 2018 17:55
Surely after today's announcement re sabbatical back home he owes us some loyalty

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 19:35
Why, because he’s had a few weeks off?

worcestawarrior
31 January, 2018 20:10
Quote:
usa warrior
Why, because he’s had a few weeks off?
No because he's being well managed

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
31 January, 2018 20:25
Just one of our top frontline players having a well earned rest ready for the important league games.
Granted,some of our first teamers have been playing cup matches to retain match sharpness but having a rest away from the game can be just as beneficial.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net