rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

A38
Hogg to leave
A38 (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 10:50
[t.co]

Hogg to leave Club after five years at Sixways
Worcester Warriors can confirm that Head Coach Carl Hogg will leave the Club when his contract comes to an end this summer.

Hogg has been at the Club since 2013, forming part of the coaching team which oversaw B&I Cup success and promotion from the Championship in 2015 before helping Warriors retain their Aviva Premiership status over the last two seasons.

Hogg said: “I am looking forward to focusing on the next stage of my rugby journey.

“Worcester Warriors have experienced some turbulent times since I arrived five seasons ago but I feel proud to have navigated the Club through this difficult and volatile period. Importantly we have ensured Premiership rugby at Sixways since returning to the top-flight.

“With the appointment of Alan Solomons as Director of Rugby, now is the right time to take up my next challenge in coaching.

“I have experienced a huge amount over the last five season at Warriors and wish the Club every success in the future.”

Warriors Chairman Bill Bolsover said: “I wish to place on record the Club’s thanks to Carl for his unstinting commitment during his time at Sixways and wish him well in his next role, where I am sure he will add real value.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2018 10:50 by A38.

A38
Re: Hogg to leave
A38 (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 10:51
Does this give credence to the rumour about a SA coach coming in?

brianhadley
05 February, 2018 10:54
Sam to step up to Head Coach and then DOR when Alan Solomons contract expires?

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 11:20
It will be several years before Vesty is a DoR, but he is going to make a very good head coach one day.

He will move up the ladder at Sixways but to what position is difficult to see as I feel there will be a new Head Coach, one who has not been affected by the goings on at the club and to freshen up the whole coaching team with different ideas.

Good luck to Hoggy he has had a very difficult time.

JP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2018 11:22 by Faithful_City.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 11:31
No major surprise....wish him well for the future, and thanks for the often thankless toil at 6Ways.

Blue&GoldWarrior
Blue&GoldWarrior (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 11:33
I think it'll be a head coach to come in and be DOR after Solomons goes with Vesty moving to head coach then. Be equally as happy for Vesty to step up now but think to have that succession plan in place now would be good...its worked before hasn't it (Sm14)

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 12:06
As with some others it will be a critical appointment, I really do think that we are drinking in the last chance saloon and get it wrong again and it will be a while before/ if we are back. For that reason I think that Sam would be too much of a risk, look how Ackerman is turning Glos around.
As with all things though it is likely to hinge on who is the owner.
Thanks and best of luck to Carl who I believe he has worked diligently in difficult times but was never a top Head Coach IMHO.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 12:18
A little while ago Hogg was asked, in a WN interview, about his future at Sixways. He was non committal if I remember correctly. Vesty used very much the same language a week or so ago about his future.

One can imagine that a new ownership regime, if it materialises, may wish to look closely at all elements of the coaching team with a view to "refurbishment". I'm not convinced, for instance, that Solomons is in fact the medium term appointment which the length of his contract would seem to suggest if only on age grounds. The wording of that contract might be interesting to read.

I'm all for continuity but whilst the timing of any purchase is by no means ideal for recruitment of players for next season it would be right for the appointment of an all new coaching set up. Hopefully those making such appointment decisions will be well advised.

But that is pure and total conjecture.

Humps for 1 Mile
Humps for 1 Mile (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 12:25
Thanks to Carl Hogg for doing his very best in what must, at many times, have been very trying circumstances

Best wishes for the future and wherever it takes him.

worcestawarrior
worcestawarrior (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 12:38
“Worcester Warriors have experienced some turbulent times since I arrived five seasons ago but I feel proud to have navigated the Club through this difficult and volatile period. Importantly we have ensured Premiership rugby at Sixways since returning to the top-flight.

“With the appointment of Alan Solomons as Director of Rugby, now is the right time to take up my next challenge in coaching.

Many thanks Carl a lot of distractions during your tenure but were still here ready to fight another day

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 12:40
Good luck to Car in the future doing whatever, wherever it may be.

He' stuck with the roles passed to him, even what has been passed to him is a plate of poo, particularly the DR exit.

Sadly there is little legacy of the work that Carl has put in with various players and the Coaching staff in evidence, and certainly not enough to show improvement in the on field performance to make this decision, one that really hurts us.

As to holding the reins until A N Other comes in, i'm confused.

On here a few weeks back it was suggested that CD is the only show in town as far as ownership is concerned, but it was suggested that this would not be completed until the end of season.

Now it's not my £26mill on the line here, but why the dithering? If CD doesn't know the ins and outs of Worcester, then who does? My only thought is that the Allen's and CD are waiting to see what they have to sell / buy based on what league we remain in to determine a fair price, whatever that is.

Like others, my concern is that the club feels like it is on life support at present, only just functioning, and with no news on even short term prognosis or 'fresh blood'. Just not sure which consultant is in charge of the life support machine.

Sutton Warrior
Sutton Warrior (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 13:15
In most sports a change in coach happens after 3-5 years - a new voice is needed ( other than exceptional cases like Ferguson and Wenger). One should not judge by his performance on TV interviews but he speaks in jargon - is it the same for and with the players.He has given off his best but it has not really got us any further forward. I can quite see that signing someone for the long term is a problem when our league status and ownership is unclear - although the status issue ought to be sorted out if we beat Irish away and the point gap with them increases yet again.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 15:01
The code really isn't very hard to crack, is it?

"With the appointment of Alan Solomons as director of rugby, now is the right time to take up my next challenge in coaching," said Hogg.

Alan Solomons has told me to pack my bags

B-road
05 February, 2018 15:14
Quote:
Patgadd

It seems so, but then why are we keeping a coach we are sacking until the end of the season ?

Doesn't make sense. But what's new.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 15:23
Quote:
KenDoddsDadsDogsDead
Quote:
Patgadd

It seems so, but then why are we keeping a coach we are sacking until the end of the season ?

His contract will not be up to the end of the season and, if the SA rumour is right, his successor will not be available until then. No reason to send him on gardening leave when there is no one to put in his place.

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 15:23
Best of luck to him for the future however I don't see what impact he had on our team, we are no better now than before he joined.

MESSAGES->author
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 15:30
Quote:
Patgadd
The code really isn't very hard to crack, is it?
"With the appointment of Alan Solomons as director of rugby, now is the right time to take up my next challenge in coaching," said Hogg.

I was waiting to see if the Club was sold and new investment was coming in and so now I'm off I've had an offer with a certain future?!

B-road
05 February, 2018 15:42
[quote A38][quote KenDoddsDadsDogsDead]
His contract will not be up to the end of the season and, if the SA rumour is right, his successor will not be available until then. No reason to send him on gardening leave when there is no one to put in his place.[/quote]

Doesn't make sense to me.

So, players are expected to buy into his coaching still? Even though he is not considered good enough anymore?

Unless the players have already stopped listening

gmem
Garym (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 15:58
Quote:
KenDoddsDadsDogsDead
Quote:
Patgadd

Where does it say he was sacked? If that was the case, he would be out the door today

Villages12
Villages12 (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 16:36
Why do we have to disrespect Hoggy by suggesting he was sacked. It really doesn't matter, he's going..............

Good Luck with your future employment Carl.

At least he didn't jump ship like DR, was loyal and came through some rough times !

MESSAGES->author
05 February, 2018 16:41
He is not being sacked his contract is not being renewed.

MESSAGES->author
05 February, 2018 16:42
Quote:
Villages12
Why do we have to disrespect Hoggy by suggesting he was sacked. It really doesn't matter, he's going..............
Good Luck with your future employment Carl.

At least he didn't jump ship like DR, was loyal and came through some rough times !

Agreed loyalty goes a long way in uncertainty

Teddyb
Teddyb (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 17:01
I think it’s more like he had no other choice rather than loyalty and now his contract is up he is out. As others say, can’t see that he has had any positive effect on us.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 17:25
Quote:
West Brom Warrior
Legally there's a difference but doesn't it mean he's sacked?

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 17:27
He may have decided not to renew.

MESSAGES->author
05 February, 2018 17:35
Quote:
w4rriorz1980
Quote:
West Brom Warrior
Legally there's a difference but doesn't it mean he's sacked?

Well in many ways yes as Solomons must have decided he wanted someone else in the role, of course it could be Hoggs decision but from the statement it didn’t seem so.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 17:41
I like Hoggy.Sad to see him go.

The only way he could've possibly stayed,imho,is a demotion if reports are to be believed that the Cheetahs head coach is rocking up @ Sixways.

Old Col
Old Col (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 18:09
I can hardly imagine any head coach in the premiership has been handed such a rotten hand in trying to develop and maintain a club . His statement is dignified and not critical of anyone . He has stuck at the post in most difficult circumstances and conducted himself in a most professional manner . I just hope that he himself has decided to move on at a time of his choosing. As for some of the unwarrented and thankless speculation in this thread less said the better . Good luck to a really decent guy.

657warrior
657warrior (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 18:10
Good riddance

Wah-RE-or
Wah-RE-or (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 18:22
Well said Old Col.

Good luck to you in the future Carl.
You have dealt with a poor hand of cards with professionalism and integrity.

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 19:24
Got to be a replacement with the cheetahs coach as previously suggested. Carl has and is doing OK and will do so while the cheetah coach is busy until preseason

Eternal optimist
Eternal optimist (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 19:43
Felt for Hoggy last year being put on the position he was, but if he didn’t feel confident in the role he should of shouted out earleir. The club management should never have put him in the position in the first place. He never looked confident from da6 one.
Good luck for the future what ever you choose to do.
As for “good riddance” please shut the door after you. Rugby is a game of mutual respect

yellow450
Yeller (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 19:44
Have to agree with Old Col. All the best Carl.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 19:54
Quote:
Eternal optimist
Felt for Hoggy last year being put on the position he was, but if he didn’t feel confident in the role he should of shouted out earleir. The club management should never have put him in the position in the first place. He never looked confident from da6 one.
Good luck for the future what ever you choose to do.
As for “good riddance” please shut the door after you. Rugby is a game of mutual respect
Well said Eo.
Maybe he thought himself and Nick Johnston could do a decent job.Dean Ryan was a mentor of sorts for Hogg wasn't he? He tried to implement DR's philosophy along with his own ideas and NJ's but as we know it didn't work.At least he tried for the good of the club then realised after the Brizzle game he needed help.

Not sure the club would've intervened unless Hoggy spoke up.

657warrior
657warrior (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 20:24
Point taken, however some people have short memories....remember those inept away performances at Bristol and Gloucester. Quiet possibly the worst performances in many a year

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 21:57
Quote:
657warrior
Point taken, however some people have short memories....remember those inept away performances at Bristol and Gloucester. Quiet possibly the worst performances in many a year

Yep and fair play to Hogg he came out after Glos and essentially said 'im not good enough to do this role, we need someone else. Replace me.'. What is there not to admire about that? He put the club over himself and for that we should always be greatful.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 22:42
Quote:
657warrior
Good riddance

Stupid comment. Adds nothing, and is just plain rude.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
05 February, 2018 23:08
Agreed

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 09:31
I agree with Old Col and all those with similar sentiments. Gloucester have shown how the right structure makes things happen, you can't just blame the players and coaches all the time. I'd like to see a head coach who puts fear into players in the way Ackerman does. I've not heard any bad comments about him in this regard so he obviously knows how to do it. Humphreys then does the DoR role, which is more tactical and administrative.

I see Solomons more in the Humphreys style, so a big unit of a head coach coming in might have the same effect.

I think Hogg has done what he could with the hand he was dealt. Whether or not he jumped, or was pushed, I think Warriors need a new face to shake things up.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 09:38
This is only a guess but it seems logical to me that the announcement wouldn't have been made until a replacement had been signed up.

Given that Monday is not the usual day for the club to make such announcements, I wonder if we will have more news later this week.

That allows time for tributes to be paid to Hogg before the limelight switches elsewhere and is appropriate for somebody who has been a loyal member of Sixways for five years.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 09:49
Duncan is far from a done deal I believe.

The Cheetahs DOR is potentially being lured away to SA rugby as an attack coach and it is not yet settled as to where that will leave Cheetahs.

Therefore they may well be reluctant to let Duncan leave his contract early.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 09:52
If they bring in a new DOR, then he may want his own guy.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 09:57
This is also true, but the inference was that they would possibly want Duncan to stay for the sake of continuity. Just not settled yet.

B-road
06 February, 2018 10:33
It all seems strange to me.

Not least because its happening just a couple of weeks before the biggest game of the season.

I just don't see how a coach who leaving (by choice or not) is going to carry any authority with the players.

A clean break is always best in these circumstances surely

MESSAGES->author
06 February, 2018 11:13
Didn't Gold say he was staying for the rest of his contract initially?

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 11:51
Decent bloke. Good coach. Very likeable.
Never a DOR in a month of sundays.
I'm sure he will find another job in coaching and will put in the required effort to the end of the season.
I'm also fairly sure the squad will respect and respond to that.

worcestawarrior
worcestawarrior (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 12:40
I hope there is no animosity with this departure although the league table isn't displaying what we want as a club I don't think that is all down to Carl, what a tenure his experienced! His mentor DR disappeared, leaving him a fudged 5 year plan to work to, turmoil of who is at the helm three bosses in all, green fitted carpet arrives over night and the club owners decide to sell up wow don't blame him for leaving he only came to coach a team.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2018 12:42 by worcestawarrior.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 22:33
So who will be next? Sam Vesty has recently moved house nearer to Sixways, but that doesn't mean he has to cock a deaf'un to attractive offers from elsewhere. Simon Cross is still officially on the books, though I doubt that will last beyond the end of the season. There is one person who I'm certain is for the end-of-term high jump, though. If you do cryptic crosswords, let's just say he can be found in a cargo marina..

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 22:39
I didn’t think Samskip Dock was at Sixways Pat. I thought he was still at Bloemfontein Bulldogs.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 22:54
Nice one, FF, but someone must get it - this is your PG tip of the week!

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
06 February, 2018 23:24
I get it but I won't spoil it for everyone else!

Whatever you do, do it safely!

Warrior7
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
07 February, 2018 00:26
Hogg has stayed with us and also coached some of the best performances we've seen from a Worcester team so goes with my blessing.

Hopefully he'll get a good chance somewhere else, and believe with DR still in charge he would have taken us up the league, just IMO didn't mesh the best in style with Gold/Solomons.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 12:36
"There is one person who I'm certain is for the end-of-term high jump, though. If you do cryptic crosswords, let's just say he can be found in a cargo marina."

C'mon PG. It doesn't take much to befuddle me, but i'm now all out of crypticity. Arr is my final crypto-hypothesis.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 13:09
It's his first name you'll find in there, FF

Latecomer
Latecomer (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 13:30
Quote:
FlipFlop
"There is one person who I'm certain is for the end-of-term high jump, though. If you do cryptic crosswords, let's just say he can be found in a cargo marina."
C'mon PG. It doesn't take much to befuddle me, but i'm now all out of crypticity. Arr is my final crypto-hypothesis.

Blimey FF, cryptic it isn't !!

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 15:53
Gotcha.

Might as well make a clean sweep of the coaching staff.

Surprised he didn't go once GG announced he was off, as he was brought in by GG. Clearly not been able to wave his magic wand over or leaky defence, but few have.

Latecomer, sorry to have upset you with my lack of spotting what you saw as bleedin' obvious. I'll crawl back under my rock until the sun has gone down.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net