rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

MESSAGES->author
Rory Duncan Confirmed
Fiver (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 16:40

Sheldon
Re: Rory Duncan Confirmed
Sheldon (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 16:42
[warriors.co.uk]

And on the website

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 16:43
I was in a rush to avoid a Le Roux!!

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 16:44
Quote:
Fiver
WEN
Cus we never knew. ;-)
Anyway,great appointment!

B-road
08 February, 2018 16:52
One day a press release won't include the phrase

"a club with huge potential"

One day.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 16:59
The club is definitely not stepping back

2 very good aquisitions.

What/who else is on their way?

JP

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 17:01
Meanwhile we give Hoggy and everyone else who is still at the club our full support.

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 17:11
Excellent news that this is all sorted he obviously knows Solomons well. Three bits of good news in a day how strange for the Warriors, we are usually drip fed news like this over weeks.

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 17:12
You could also say itís a pretty young and untested coach and a fly half who canít get any game time at Edinburgh presumably. Calum on the face of it is the best signing for me. Having said that I like the idea of a big, hard, young coach. The experienced big names certainly havenít worked.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 17:15
Getting us all enthused and prepped for Glaws and Irish.

Need to get a lot of support to Reading!!

JP

jgmorgan100
The Mailman (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 18:11
Good to have this aspect of our future sorted. Bit of an unknown quantity to many (including me!) but he's doing pretty well with the Cheetahs. Let's hope he's the man to move us forward.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 19:54
Good news on the face of it. Might try to catch some Pro 14 games now to see his Cheetahs in action.

It would seem AS was right about announcements being revealed soon as per WEN. Hope to hear more soon.

Well done the club, so far.

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 20:15
Do you think we can get ben te,o to reaffirm now

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 20:36
The last lock we had as head coach was John Brain so I hope this is a good omen.

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
08 February, 2018 21:35
Quote:
centrethere
Do you think we can get ben te,o to reaffirm now

I have been one of the questioners as to the merit of having Teo, but if he did stay and even extend then I think that would be a real statement.

The trouble is we have yet to see him as part of our best back line, best team even to see what the sum of all the parts can really do.

B-road
09 February, 2018 09:10
This is not met with universal approval !

"Alan Solomons always anxious to import fellow South Africans. He failed badly at Saints and Edinburgh, now @WorcsWarriors he summons SA coach with no experience of Prem culture. Gary Gold and Carl Hogg may be sadly missed. Warriors a great club, but hierarchy making bad calls."

Stephen Jones

and responses to the above

"Hard not to agree with this. Wish Rory Duncan well at Wuss, but cracking the Premiership code as a new SH coach is far from easy. Ask Tom Coventry and Aaron Mauger."

Alastair Eykyn

"Totally agree Stephen. Alan Solomon's should put his feet up & retire. He didn't go well at Edinburgh & brought 3rd rate SA players over who failed. I really do worry for @WorcsWarriors. It's a great club who I would hate to see fail."

Craig Chalmers

The counter argument is we're permanently finish 11th or 12th in the Premiership. Something has to change.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2018 09:24 by KenDoddsDadsDogsDead.

MESSAGES->author
Grasshopper (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 09:20
The above does not make good reading, especially the comments about AS's track record for signing poor players. I wish Rory well, but only time will tell.

I certainly hope that he will succeeded, for everyone's sake, but the last time Warriors pulled in a coach with limited experience from the Southern Hemisphere, it was an utter disaster.

KDDDD's right though - something has to change, otherwise we'll remain a yo-yo club for the foreseeable future.

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 09:37
That is not good reading from three people probably more qualified than us. A more recent and relevant comparison would probably be that of his time at Bristol, and we all know how that turned out.

I dont actually think he is seen as the long term solution anyway, more of a person who was willing to stay on whilst the take over was sorted.

I dont think this will be the end of the turbulence.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 09:37
I respect SJ as a rugby writer so one cannot discount what he says. However we are where we are, are there a raft of experienced head coaches available? Is this part fo the new ownership plan? Has RD been brought in a Solomons successor? We don't know. All I can say is what I said on another thread, if we get this wrong we may be a long time getting back.
Despite his record most players seem to talk very highly of Al, and in truth I am not sure how much could have been done for Bristol last season.
All the best to Rory when he arrives.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2018 09:55 by ROLLO .

jgmorgan100
The Mailman (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 09:42
And let's not forget that AS and RD coming in means that Vesty has been forced out. I'm hugely sceptical about all this.

warriorgibbo
warriorgibbo (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 09:46
Don't remember 'Johan' Ackermann having too much Premiership experience, but he seems to be doing OK (also doing well in Cheltenham nightclubs by all accounts)

If he brings a bit of SA steel and gets the best out of the influx of Saffa recruits i'm expecting, all well and good

I wish Hogg, Vesty and Cross all the best in there future carriers but it was 100% the right time for a change, get the ownership sorted out and lets get on with it!!

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 10:30
Quote:
Grasshopper

KDDDD's right though - something has to change, otherwise we'll remain a yo-yo club for the foreseeable future.

Quite - if you keep on doing what you've always done, you can't expect things to change. It's a gamble, but let's back it. Stephen Jones is a respected writer, but there have been a few occasions when I've been tempted to have a go at him on this forum for writing absolute drivel. We'll see.

B-road
09 February, 2018 11:08
SJ & CG Struck me as having their own agenda.

Every coach & DoR in the premiership at some point had "no experience of Prem culture", so that seems an odd statement.

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 11:41
Grasshopper, I hardly think we can compare Rory Duncan's appointment with that of Anthony Eddy (Who I think has now found a niche in Ireland coaching Women's Rugby)

Eddy came over to us having been an assistant coach with Queensland Reds and Brumbies and tried to get a side distinctly more suited to ten man Rugby to adopt the open attacking style he was more familiar with. We didn't have the skill sets or personnel for it to work and after a plunge down the table we parted company.

The south africans traditionally play a more attritional, forward oriented game, making me think that our premiership will suit Rory just fine. (Sm14)

MESSAGES->author
Teme Dream (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 12:01
Stephen Jones is an excellent rugby writer. However I would question his understanding of Worcester. Carl Hogg has had 5 years at Worcester and has achieved nothing. Rory Duncan has done a decent job at Cheetah's and already has experience of NH rugby with his team currently lying 3rd in the Pro 14.

Southstand(again)
09 February, 2018 12:16
Hate to be the pedant Teme Dream, but the Cheetahs are only third out of seven in conference A, which isn't quite as "Heady" as being third in the Pro 14. Still, 40 points is still a good return.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2018 12:17 by Southstand(again).

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 12:24
Yes Pat, the definition of insanity. Itís a huge risk which I alluded to yesterday but I do like the idea of someone young with a point to prove and ideally hard as nails which he seems to be. I just hope he brings a few hard nosed South Africans in the pack. Our back line behind a consistently dominant pack would be lethal.

MESSAGES->author
Teme Dream (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 12:38
Quote:
Southstand(again)
third out of seven in conference A,

Fair comment - and not pedantic at all. I guess my point was really to bring attention to the fact that his team is already playing in a Northern Hemisphere competition. I'm also sure we would all be very happy with a 60%+ win record!

MESSAGES->author
Grasshopper (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 13:22
SS - hardly comparable, maybe, but Eddy's brand of rugby totally disrupted the team at the midpoint of the season - a terrible mistake. They were playing to AK's game plan up until the Bath game at home and it certainly went downhill from there.

I also think that HE didn't have the skill set - it wasn't all the players' fault.

I agree with the comments in your last email.

Southstand(again)
09 February, 2018 14:29
Ah that Bath game
I'd given up my seat in the south stand so my wife could sit with friends who came over for Boxing day. I ended up with a seat and spare ticket in the North which our old friend Al Fresco used.

My memory is still rather clouded by a subsequent Bath game when we witnessed Joey C's miss-pass for the first time and andrew Higgins snapping it up.

Too many games. Far too much alcohol (Sm16)

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 14:53
Quote:
Patgadd
Quote:
Grasshopper

Quite - if you keep on doing what you've always done, you can't expect things to change. It's a gamble, but let's back it. Stephen Jones is a respected writer, but there have been a few occasions when I've been tempted to have a go at him on this forum for writing absolute drivel. We'll see.

I was amazed to read so many people praising Stephen Jones, absolute drivel is how I too would describe most of the stuff he's written that I've read.

I don't think Carl Hogg has done a bad job with the players at his disposal but it feels like there's room for improvement and hopefully Rory Duncan is the man for the job

Offa
Offa (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 17:07
We have to try something different.
I certainly welcome Rory and look forward to seeing what he can bring to us.
I have seen no Pro 14 games and so I don't know how his team plays.

I am very grateful to Hoggy. He remained loyal during some very difficult times. He is a gent and well liked. I wish him lots of success for his future. We have it on very poor authority that SV and SC are off too. The latter is not a surprise given that he is only with us part time. But should they leave they would also have my thanks.

However, we need to freshen up and try something different. I am excited by this move. I hope to see some hard and uncompromising forward play added to our improved back-line.

For me, we would undoubtedly go down next season (should we survive this one) without change. I applaud AS for making a bold decision and twisting. Let's hope it works.

Until then I will be right behind the current coaching team.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 17:14
Southstand(again) If my memory serves correctly it was Shane Drahm that made the intercept pass.
Grasshooper is correct we were going well until then and I think had 30 points!! after that hardly won a game.

MESSAGES->author
Grasshopper (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 17:54
SS - I was 200 miles away on the day of the Bath game and optimistic about our chances. My friend called me, saying we'd played terribly and he didn't understand why. He said they played as though they'd never played together previously.

I recall asking, on this website, on a few occasions in various threads, what had caused the complete change in our fortunes, as something definitely had gone wrong.

Towards the end of the season the Club admitted that, until the Bath and subsequent debacles, they had been using Andy Keast's game plans/ tactics for all the previous Premiership matches. If you recall we were in the top half of the table and pushing for a top place.

Southstand(again)
09 February, 2018 17:57
Quote:
ROLLO
Southstand(again) If my memory serves correctly it was Shane Drahm that made the intercept pass.
Grasshooper is correct we were going well until then and I think had 30 points!! after that hardly won a game.

click my link
Rollo. we actually lost 36 -18

Joey's pass came much later when it arrived in Andrew Higgins hands in 2009

Remind me - what is the French for dťjŗ vu ?

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 18:48
Think the 2009 game was when Higgins scored a hat trick of tries against us. The next we heard, he was on the magic bus trip from Quins and was unavailable for a routine drugs test with a couple of team mates, one of whom, we subsequently recruited under Mr Hill.

Beginning to see why iím not keen on Bath now

Southstand(again)
09 February, 2018 19:17
Alex Crockett
I've not been so keen on them since that cup game at Kingsholm

Warrior7
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 20:46
For those who don't watch Super (which ever number it is now) and the Pro14, the Cheetahs play a very un-southafrican running game with rapid outside backs and a great carrying backrow. Their defence is and always has been shaky though.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
09 February, 2018 21:52
SS there was an intercept pass in the 2005 game against Bath as well , Drahm tried to reach Dale but it was a touch too high and Malone intercepted to score.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 07:12
Quote:
Warrior7
For those who don't watch Super (which ever number it is now) and the Pro14, the Cheetahs play a very un-southafrican running game with rapid outside backs and a great carrying backrow. Their defence is and always has been shaky though.

Thanks for that 7. I don't and was curious, I had heard elsewhere that they played a running game, probably suits us with our players atm.

MESSAGES->author
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 07:36
Quote:
KenDoddsDadsDogsDead
This is not met with universal approval !
"Totally agree Stephen. Alan Solomon's should put his feet up & retire. He didn't go well at Edinburgh & brought 3rd rate SA players over who failed. I really do worry for @WorcsWarriors. It's a great club who I would hate to see fail."

Craig Chalmers

It feels a bit experimental I hope it works

shrewsburyman
shrewsburyman (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 10:23
Delighted we have signed RD asi think a young coach with something to prove may be the way forward. We have tri ed other approaches so letís have a change. I wasnít too keen on the AS appointment but with a young coach am happier.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net