rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

MESSAGES->author
Irish now need...
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 20:03
At least 13 points from 8 games so long as we donít get another point. Thatís at least 2 wins.

That is a big ask.

Just got to make sure 1 of them is not against us. A 0:0 draw.

JP

Stephen Abootman
Re: Irish now need...
Stephen Abootman (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 20:42
Irish's remaining fixtures:

Northampton (A)
Worcester (H)
Wasps (A)
Glos (H)
Harlequins (A)
Exeter (H)
Saracens (H)
Bath (A)

If they're still bottom come the end of March, they're done for IMO, especially as the Worcester run in isn't too bad.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 01:42
....a miracle of Underhill try saving tackle proportions!

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 08:21
They coped better with Sale at Madstad than we did against Sale at Sixways. Irish arenít gone yet. 25th is still D day for both clubs. Win that and Irish are back in the hunt and wins like yesterday are worthless.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 09:11
Well, I reckon we'll do it. Very slowly, and with all the silky smoothness of a Thunderbirds puppet, we are improving, and for once the old cliche about squad togetherness seems to be largely true. I don't even think it's the end of the world if we fail against Glaws, though I'd be disappointed. By all accounts FH is back to form (if his foot is OK), and there seems to be a spirit in the side that LI can't match. I'll risk a face full of egg by predicting that we'll be safe without going to the wire.

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 09:21
I would have gone for the Four feather Falls analogy Pat (Sm14)

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 09:30
I quite like going to the wire.

Just never quite sure what to do when I get to it.

bobby santa cruz
bobby santa cruz (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 10:31
I can see us getting a win against Glos at the weekend, we should have beaten them away earlier in the season and the fact itís a local derby is a good leveller, also having beaten Exeter away, we will carry huge momentum into that game.

Irish play saints, and any result is good for us in that game, if we win and Irish win, we go above Saints, if Irish lose we are pretty much safe then.

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 11:38
The sooner we are all but safe the better for the sale of the club and recruitment. If we overtake saints in the meantime thatís a bonus.

Asum Warrior
Asum Warrior (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 11:57
Let's stop worrying about the Irish and focus on the Saints

B-road
11 February, 2018 13:32
Irish last 6 games are horrendous . They have to win the next 2.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 13:54
Quote:
Asum Warrior
Let's stop worrying about the Irish and focus on the Saints
I know what you mean but lets focus on US.

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 14:35
Quote:
FlipFlop
They coped better with Sale at Madstad than we did against Sale at Sixways. Irish arenít gone yet. 25th is still D day for both clubs. Win that and Irish are back in the hunt and wins like yesterday are worthless.

Not sure where the logic is in this. How a win can ever be deemed as worthless I don't know. If we lose to Irish then yesterdays win means we are still 4 points more ahead of them than we would have been expecting. If anything, it will make yesterdays win all the more valuable.

It's funny, I remember when someone on this forum suggested we should just be using yesterdays game as a game to ''get up to full speed'' for the Irish game.

MESSAGES->author
11 February, 2018 14:44
That was me.

Oh boy do I love being so wrong when they can pull off a result like this.

JP

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 16:08
Quins just got thumped at home, picking up nothing, so we are only 9 points behind them, with a home game to come.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2018 16:26 by Brummagem Bertie.

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 16:14
Thumped at home by a team down to 14 men for about 60 mins

TRIXTA
TRIXTA (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 17:35
Quote:
Faithful_City
At least 13 points from 8 games so long as we donít get another point. Thatís at least 2 wins.JP

?? Not sure I follow your maths.

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 18:09
Theyíre not going to draw every game or pick up 2 bp per game so they need at least 2 wins to get the bulk of the 13 points. Simples

MESSAGES->author
11 February, 2018 18:20
Draws are very, very rare.

So most points from the bottom clubs c0me from losing bonus points and wins.

If they get 1 win that leaves only 7 losing bonus points in EVERY other game = 11pts. Not enough.

Therefore need 2 wins and 5 losing bonus points from the remaining 6 games.

That also means we must not get a single point from our last 8 games, our average at the moment is 1.5pts per game.

JP

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 19:23
I don't know how to do a link to a specific post, but if you go to Northampton Saints' forum and look at the thread titled "Sale 10 up at Irish", go to the fifth post by Robbie Richmond (someone else may be able to do the link). You don't have to agree with all the sentiments expressed to agree that this makes very interesting reading.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 19:25
Here you go Pat.

[m.rugbynetwork.net]

I read it earlier as well. Very well put.

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 19:49
Interesting thread.

I agree with most of it and am not opposed to the idea of ring fencing.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 19:49
Cut Robbieís rhetoric down to itsí bare bones, and the essense is that the fear of losing is stopping teams playing.

Isnít the best way to avoid losing, err, winning. As in, going all out to win, not nervously stopping the opposition from playing, as the theory suggests.

Am I the only one who thinks this view of the issue of ring fencing is just wrong.?

WorcesterSauce
11 February, 2018 20:07
No you're not TT..... I'm with you. Funny how suddenly this crops up on a Northampton forum as soon as they are in a bit of doubt of going down and playing rubbish isn't it? I didn't see any complaining about 'relegation breeds negative rugby' when they were champions.

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 20:12
Ignoring all the other factors I donít think itís a coincidence that weíve seen an upturn in performance now that weíve started pulling away from the bottom compared to the first 1/3 of this season.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 20:19
I agree. All too easy to slip into the ďnot losingĒ mentality and play as we did for the first couple months and Irish have been.

Villages12
Villages12 (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 20:36
Lets stop acting like relegation fodder and concerning ourselves with relegation and what Irish needs to do.

We need to look ahead at our season and aim to get above Tigers, Quins, Saints and Irish. It's possible to achieve, start looking upwards !

We have to play Tigers, Falcons, Quins and Gloucester at Home, all winnable games. Irish and Saints away are winnable. Sale and Wasps away might be a little more difficult to achieve.

Let's have some positivity and faith !

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 20:40
WS,

I think you know what I really meant with my Ďworthless winí comment.

An excellent win against a top side means little if you lose against your fellow strugglers. Yes the maths for us has improved but Irish could well spring their own surprise and claw those points back if we canít or donít gain more points.

Of course a win next week will make things much easier but Irish will be after a off form Saints side, so game v Irish will be pivotal for both sides fate imo.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 21:02
I'd like to see the championship improved rather than ring fencing.

Saracens won their first title by playing dull rugby without the slightest fear of relegation so the two aren't intrinsically linked as some think.

Better weather and more money for a youth league would improve rugby more imho than no relegation.

WorcesterSauce
11 February, 2018 21:06
Yep, the Championship needs to be improved. Or we could just spend 500k (and more likely 700k)+ per game to the England players, who would almost certainly play for half the price and should play for free. That's a conservative estimate at £4.5m per season that could go to Championship clubs.

Anyone who advocates ringfencing has, in my opinion, basically conceded to the RFUs way of running the game, which is clearly against the growth of anything below the premiership.

Southstand(again)
12 February, 2018 13:53
Quote:
Patgadd
I don't know how to do a link to a specific post, but if you go to Northampton Saints' forum and look at the thread titled "Sale 10 up at Irish", go to the fifth post by Robbie Richmond (someone else may be able to do the link). You don't have to agree with all the sentiments expressed to agree that this makes very interesting reading.

So is "Robbie" Brian Facer ? eye rolling smiley

Sutton Warrior
Sutton Warrior (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 14:22
Promotion and relegation works well if, but only if, the teams coming up the system can really compete. Would Worcester RFC have been able to do this without CD? Almost certainly not. Ring fencing or whatever you want to call it would provide stability for the current crop of Prem clubs ( and a couple more); much of the rugby seen is not entertaining at all if we are honest - or at least not in terms of the " running, catching, kicking etc thrill ride" that represents a really good game to most people. The majority of the casual customers don't want to see a 6-5 win even if it is gripping and heroic - they want to see tries and flare players running with the ball and getting flattened in the process. Those who have played the game watch it in a different way to the casual punter - if you listen to the crowd reaction at Twickenham you can tell the proportion of corporate days in the stadium as opposed to the number of people who know what they are watching

Why is this relevant - becausee for the sport to thrive commercially it needs to be attractive and build the audience. To get more attacking rugby there must be less fear; if your wages depend on not losing you will do things designed to ensure you do not lose rather than things to give a higher chance of winning.That's why the article is right - however much it pains me to say it.

Southstand(again)
12 February, 2018 15:17
I'm happy with 6-5

I don't want to see Rugby improved "artificially" for the sake of the "Casual" supporter.

I've sat next to that "casual" supporter at HQ and most of them never shut up, usually leaving their seats long before the final whistle.

winning regularly would provide all the "novelty" needed to bring back the "Full House" rubber stamp at Sixways.

Success at National level would also spark interest, but will have to trust Eddie with that one.

Everybody, including sponsors like to be associated with success.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 16:35
Irish had 3k attendance on Saturday!! Imagine that in a 24k stadium...

Southstand(again)
12 February, 2018 16:52
Quote:
usa warrior

perhaps they that's why they should realistically be considering moving to one of these ?

Brentford Griffin Park 12,736
Southend United Roots Hall 11,927
Gillingham Priestfield Stadium 11,440
Luton Town Kenilworth Road 10,226
Wycombe Wanderers Adams Park 10,000

Touchliner
Touchliner (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 16:59
Quote:
usa warrior

Must admit watching the on-line highlights of their match it looked as if it must be pretty dispiriting for the players to be playing in front of such a thinly scattered gathering (was going to write "crowd" but it didn't seem appropriate (Sm147))

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 17:38
Would Wycombe want another rugby club as tenants? Would Irish be in trouble there as Wasps were?

WorcesterSauce
12 February, 2018 17:46
Quote:
Sutton Warrior
Promotion and relegation works well if, but only if, the teams coming up the system can really compete. Would Worcester RFC have been able to do this without CD? Almost certainly not. Ring fencing or whatever you want to call it would provide stability for the current crop of Prem clubs ( and a couple more); much of the rugby seen is not entertaining at all if we are honest - or at least not in terms of the " running, catching, kicking etc thrill ride" that represents a really good game to most people. The majority of the casual customers don't want to see a 6-5 win even if it is gripping and heroic - they want to see tries and flare players running with the ball and getting flattened in the process. Those who have played the game watch it in a different way to the casual punter - if you listen to the crowd reaction at Twickenham you can tell the proportion of corporate days in the stadium as opposed to the number of people who know what they are watching
Why is this relevant - becausee for the sport to thrive commercially it needs to be attractive and build the audience. To get more attacking rugby there must be less fear; if your wages depend on not losing you will do things designed to ensure you do not lose rather than things to give a higher chance of winning.That's why the article is right - however much it pains me to say it.

To be fair saturday was the lowest prem score in something like 7 seasons. If the casual fan cant deal with a 5-6 scoreline every 945 games then b0ll0cks to them, they don't really like rugby.

Also i think the casual fan definitely does want promotion/relegation. Look at our attendance figures for evidence. The highest attendances are always in games where promotion or relegation has been riding on it.

Take it away and our attendances would drop off and i'm pretty sure we wouldnt even see a big difference in terms of points being scored. The premiership, for instance, had a higher points and try average per game than the Pro 12 last season.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 18:22
Quote:
Touchliner
Quote:
usa warrior

Must admit watching the on-line highlights of their match it looked as if it must be pretty dispiriting for the players to be playing in front of such a thinly scattered gathering (was going to write "crowd" but it didn't seem appropriate (Sm147))

Thereís a comment on the Irish board from a home supporter who reckons it was probably much less than that. Remember itís Ďseats soldĒ not ďbums on seatsĒ, since ST holders are all deemed to be present.

WorcesterSauce
12 February, 2018 19:13
Isnt that all down to match day experience? They are due to move to london and ground share with Brentford and i'd guess that this will help their attendances a bit but who really wants to to go the Madstad? It's beyond shocking and IMO by calling themselves London Irish they have actually isolated more local fans looking for a team to support. If i was a local i'd be thinking 'they arent my home town team, they are just using the stadium in my town'. London Irish, by name are trying to appeal to a pretty niche audience that isnt based in Reading. Even in London, i just can't imagine a significant number of Irish will be @rsed. If theyd have renamed themselves Reading RFC i bet their support would be better than what it is now.

Southstand(again)
12 February, 2018 19:41
I've always enjoyed my trips to the madstad. Easy to get to with Decent parking
Yes it's contrived, and the west stand isn't half as friendly as the east but we usually have a good time.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 20:06
Have they always been based in Reading? I presume not.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 20:47
There you go Dave.....
[www.london-irish.com]

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 21:26
Cheers. Suppose I could have done my own googling...

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 22:11
Well of course the Madjeski is shocking- itís out of the city centre..... just like all other soulless stadiums....allegedly.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 22:13
Quote:
usa warrior
Cheers. Suppose I could have done my own googling...

I thought Iíd be a bit more helpful than just saying yes.

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 23:05
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
To be fair saturday was the lowest prem score in something like 7 seasons. If the casual fan cant deal with a 5-6 scoreline every 945 games then b0ll0cks to them, they don't really like rugby.

Also i think the casual fan definitely does want promotion/relegation. Look at our attendance figures for evidence. The highest attendances are always in games where promotion or relegation has been riding on it.

Take it away and our attendances would drop off and i'm pretty sure we wouldnt even see a big difference in terms of points being scored. The premiership, for instance, had a higher points and try average per game than the Pro 12 last season.

Or, take it away, we get some stability and start improving our league position. Then casual fan becomes a regular supporter putting more money into the pot as the on pitch performance is better.

Or we could just stay in a promotion/relegation cycle to get higher attendances once or twice a season. Getting relegated is one sure fire way to see the attendances drop.

WorcesterSauce
12 February, 2018 23:20
What makes you think that taking away promotion and relegation will immediately lead to a rise up the table?

As i said, what would lure the casual fan to watch any club that was lingering in 10th/11th/12th place, or worse 10th down to 14th if the league was expanded (Im not just thinking about Worcester here but the greater good of English rugby). Personally, i think its good for the game that the clubs who finish it those positions have something to fight for.

To suggest we cannot move up the league because we are worried of relegation is not a valid excuse IMO, especially in the week where we have just inflicted Exeters first home loss in nearly 18 months! Funny how Leeds, Bristol, Exeter, Newcastle, Quins and Saints have all gone on to either win the league or play in the Champions Cup after coming up from the championship. Nothing to suggest we can't either, we have just been very poorly ran. Looking for any other excuse is simply scapegoating.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 07:21
Relegation scraps certainly aren't bringing the masses to Irish at the moment.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 09:10
If you read the Irish board they see it not so much as a relegation battle any more, rather itís the start of the wake. And the Irish like a good wake, but theyíre always late, hence low numbers for a week or two.

But theyíre being. as ever, over emotional. Thereís 8 games left, 40 points up for grabs. Not all over yet obviously.

I have great respect for Southstand as a reliable and intelligent poster.......but, enjoying a trip to the MadStad needs an awful lot of explaining.

Iíve been there 4 times now, (Iím nothing if not persistent) and always regard a visit there as a duty, enjoyment begins with the exit as the last few shouts of ďCome ON you OirishĒ echo folornly around the concrete caverns.

Meanwhile a third rate diddly-aye covers band tunes up (well nearly) and prepares to run through the fixed set-list that starts with Black Velvet Band, wends itís way drearily via Whiskey in The Jar and The Wild Rover to its inevitable conclusion somewhere just outside Athenry. Not forgetting the detour to Dirty Old Town, which they all believe is about Dublin since The Pogues covered it, without the slightest realisation that it was written by an English born folk singer of Scottish ancestry writing about the chimneys of Salford where he was raised.

Oh well, the Irish never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/02/2018 09:30 by TeflonTed.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 09:40
Think it's always difficult to critique another clubs attempts to engender some atmosphere, when Sixways is so bereft of any itself, with a few thousand more in attendance.

Yeap, it may be contrived, and they may be less Irish than they are London, but at least they try to get some identity.

What does Sixways do?

Before any pipes in, Pears ain't the answer.

Irish's choice of stadia is history, and was and still is, to big for rugby in that area. Due to the dire performance of the football team there too (i have an affiliation), it's too big when only 17k pitch up to support and make some noise.

It is generally true that many rugby following folk would rather stand up to their waist in puddles of mud than watch rugby at a football ground, so it no surprise at the annual "rubbish rugby ground" inference of the Madjeski, inter weaved within a thread about what Irish need to do to over come us. Moving to a rugby ground will not improve their on field performance this season, and we play at what we regard as a rugby ground, and we are.....yeap, just above them. So no guarantee of success due to ground.

Funny how some folk who dislike Madjeski, like Wasps in their football ground, with Casino et al and it's contrived Buuuzzzzzzzzzzzzzing pre game.

One thing is true- Warriors rarely live up to the billing to come away from Madjeski with any points.

Madjeski is where they are. 3k support when they are not really near their 'home start point' having just come back from Championship, having sold their 'family silver' players upon relegation, and being in a city where football is one, if not the major sport, is better than Worcester could contrive. As we have not other high attendance top level sport in the city, Sixways becomes the grudging beneficiary IMO.

Anyway, back to topic.

Irish know they have a task, and knew that 4 weeks ago. Their run in is no easier than ours, but unless they can get a few freak results like we got on Saturday against Chiefs, they know the number will be up soon. 25th is still pivotal IMO for their cause and our own.

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 10:23
WS, I didnít say this would happen immediately.

Something needs to happen thought because the current system is no longer fit for purpose imho.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 11:03
Quote FlipFlop [Funny how some folk who dislike Madjeski, like Wasps in their football ground, with Casino et al and it's contrived Buuuzzzzzzzzzzzzzing pre game.]

Ah, you mean me.

You're quite right in that I'm OK with The Ricoh. The New-Wasps brand is what it is, and you're also right in that the buzzing and p.a. rah-rah announcements are naff, but they are tolerable.

It isn't the Madstad in and of itself that's the problem, its the awful Faux Irishness of the whole setup. With family in Co Meath, and plenty of time spent there, I know how the Irish are, and it isn't like that.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 11:45
TT,

I get with your contacts in the Emerald Isle that Irish trying to recreate an Irish vibe may not sit well when you know the real craic. But imagine how vacuous that stadium would be if they did nowt, like Sixways does.

You have quoted that due to the Aria's of the valleys and it being your homeland, that it takes some beating when it gets going. Would that extend to Ospreys playing at Swansea City's football ground, or does it only work at Rodney Parade? Millennium is probably as contrived a venue as Twickenham. Do you not like Millennium too.

As i say, strange that the contrived 'Las Vegas of Coventry (The Ricoh) does float your boat though when it is a football stadium, has similar facilities to the Madjeski. I guess if Wasps had moved in there and Irish had come to Coventry, it may be that the stadium perspective might be reversed?

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 11:53
Youíre probably right. It isnít the stadium, thatís just a building.

The Wasps supporters donít dress up as pearly kings and queens and insist on serving jellied eels ........ they are what they are, mostly New Wasps.

Hey Ho!

Southstand(again)
13 February, 2018 15:55
All I can suggest Ted, is that you have probably never had the "Pleasure" of being sat on by Mister Doyle while trying to drink a pint at the Swan at three mile cross.

As for the plasticity of the match day experience, despite being a dual passport holder and a (nearly finished) property owner in the South, I don't have a problem with it.
I don't see it as any different to what you could encounter in the Temple bar area on any given day.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 19:14
Quote:
Southstand(again)
All I can suggest Ted, is that you have probably never had the "Pleasure" of being sat on by Mister Doyle while trying to drink a pint at the Swan at three mile cross.
As for the plasticity of the match day experience, despite being a dual passport holder and a (nearly finished) property owner in the South, I don't have a problem with it.
I don't see it as any different to what you could encounter in the Temple bar area on any given day.

Agree, which is why Temple Bar is full of tourists and empty of locals.

We should have a pint in Swans at Curragha one of the days.

Southstand(again)
13 February, 2018 20:00
With it being a six hour round-trip from Kinsale, sixways would probably be quicker Ted (Sm14)

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 21:28
Quote:
Southstand(again)
With it being a six hour round-trip from Kinsale, sixways would probably be quicker Ted (Sm14)

Yeah, but not half as much fun!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net