rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

NW2
Perfect weekend.
NW2 (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 22:32
England U20's v Wales. England win.
England Women v Wales Women. England win.
England v Wales. England win.
Worcester v Exeter. Worcester win.
Life is GOOD!(Sm60)

centrethere
Re: Perfect weekend.
centrethere (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 22:42
Farrell could / should have got MoM. He was so on song defensively, not to mention his offensive play, although Brown did have a good game as well.

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 22:47
TMO should have given that try though...Poor decision against Wales

MacWarrior
MacWarrior (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 22:53
They ain't going to win the World Cup based on that performance

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 23:30
Quote:
MacWarrior

What's that smell? Could it be that the grapes are a touch overripe?

MacWarrior
MacWarrior (IP Logged)
10 February, 2018 23:38
Very possibly Patgadd, let's see what happens up north of the border! In the meantime ,just so delighted about the win today.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 07:15
Quote:
centrethere
Farrell could / should have got MoM. He was so on song defensively, not to mention his offensive play, although Brown did have a good game as well.

Fazlet missed 7 tackles, I really thought ford was playing better, I thought it stopped us attacking when he went off.

Offa
Offa (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 07:55
Am I the only person in the World who thought the TMO got it spot on?

Touchliner
Touchliner (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 08:11
Quote:
Offa

There seemed to be fewer angles than normally available . I think Watson's right hand is on top of the ball when Anscombe's is at the side and I agree it is a very close call - which often seems to go with the attacking side on principle.

But a front on view which didn't appear to be available would probably have given the only definitive view - are we missing Sky's coverage after all??

I also woke up this morning having had a very strange dream in which Warriors won at Exeter - must stop eating cheese just before bedtime............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2018 08:13 by Touchliner.

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 08:29
DK,

Farrell 13 tackles, 4 defenders beaten, Brown 3 and 3, ford 7 and 0.

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 08:39
He still missed seven tackles which in international rugby isn’t good enough. We missed 24, conceded five times as many tackles, made less metres. If Halfpenny was in the side they would have kicked their goals so if the TMO hadn’t made such an awful decision Wales I think are winning that game. Still that’s six years since we lost at Twickers in the six nations. Not bad.

Offa
Offa (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 09:09
Can somebody please explain to me why the TMO got it wrong (a serious question). For me there was no control of the ball, just a finger touching the side).

Warr-i-ors!
Warr-i-ors! (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 09:17
Quote:
MacWarrior

Haters gonna hate.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 09:27
Quote:
Offa
Can somebody please explain to me why the TMO got it wrong (a serious question). For me there was no control of the ball, just a finger touching the side).

Was it not discussed in some detail on the replays that the requirement for control had been replaced by “downward contact”?

Even Jonny Wilkinson seemed embarrassed!

And before Pat accuses me of purchasing the same grapes as MacWarrior, (I believe he prefers Waitrose in Alcester, my man goes to Droitwich) I’m quite comfortable in my own mind that Wales lost that game by their own actions.

Keep feeding Mike Brown ball in acres of space and watch what happpens. Quick and intelligent counter attacks to a relatively inexperienced back three, and England recognised that and worked it well.

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 09:32
I hate to say it but I think the pressure of the occasion got to Rhys Patchell (Sm159)

MESSAGES->author
Butthead (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 09:55
Not quite perfect; Glaws won.

NW2
NW2 (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 10:04
Quote:
Offa

No Offa, I make it at least three of us! Despite the change to the "control" rule, I thought his contact was with the side of the ball, but frankly I don't give a to55 what anyone says, nothing will change my original post!

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 10:24
Law 22.1 GROUNDING THE BALL
There are two ways a player can ground the ball:
(a) Player touches the ground with the ball. A player grounds the ball by holding the ball and touching the ground with it, in in-goal. ‘Holding’ means holding in the hand or hands, or in the arm or arms. No downward pressure is required.
(b) Player presses down on the ball. A player grounds the ball when it is on the ground in the in-goal and the player presses down on it with a hand or hands, arm or arms, or the front of the player’s body from waist to neck inclusive.

A player holding the ball is not required to put downward pressure on the ball.

A player not holding the ball is required to put downward pressure on the ball.

No clear evidence of any downward pressure - TMO correct !

Warr-i-ors!
Warr-i-ors! (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 10:30
The TMO was correct but that won’t stop the Celts being bitter and twisted.

NW2
NW2 (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 11:01
Thanks for the clarification Southstand.
Maybe the studio pundits should get up to speed with the current laws before passing judgement on the TMO's decisions!

neiljk
neiljk (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 11:16
And Gatland also, though I have to say the whining is the cherry on top of a very tasty cake this weekend. Cardiff Arms Park today to watch eldest on tour as well. A weekend to cherish even if i did turn down a ticket to HQ to take the mother in law to the f@#£ing ballet

Offa
Offa (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 11:33
Hilarious! Bet you didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Whispering_Death
11 February, 2018 11:55
No clear evidence of downward pressure? You’re having a laugh. I must have been watching different replays. The TMO and Wales tactics did us a huge favour.

vigorniensis
vigorniensis (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 11:57
I too didn't think it was a try and it was pleasing when the TMO confirmed this.

neiljk
neiljk (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 14:56
Offa....definitely cry but powder dry for possible grand slam decider against tbe Irish.

Looking at replays today and the laws, Anscombe doesnt get clear downward pressure as he catches the side of the ball obliquely and it goes forward. Watson does get downwards pressure and I’d say is probably marginally second to it, but depends on which replay you look at.

Try or no try, good call.

Any reason why I cant award a try maybe more debatable.

Warr-i-ors!
Warr-i-ors! (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 15:08
This weekend will be even better if the French do a job on Scotland. Alllez Les Bleus!

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 15:20
Picture on the BBC coverage today before the Scotland game, which shows Anscombe's hand on the ball, which is in contact with the ground. There is clear daylight between the ball and both of Watson's hands. Removes any doubt as to who got there first and that a try should have been given.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 18:31
Interestingly that’s a view that the TMO did not have at the time. Wrong call in my opinion.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 18:31
Quote:
centrethere
DK,
Farrell 13 tackles, 4 defenders beaten, Brown 3 and 3, ford 7 and 0.

Sorry, I might be in a minority but, despite one good run and one great kick, less than 66% tackle success rate, missing kicks at goal, with a lack of carrying and control in the second half, means he was not motm worthy for me.

I don't know who I'd have given it to mind, funny match where I don't think any England player played exceptionally well.
Maybe launchbury if he'd stayed on all match, possibly may as his two tries won us the game and his kick chase was excellent.

MacWarrior
MacWarrior (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 18:37
Sorry to disappont Warr-i-iors !!

Warr-i-ors!
Warr-i-ors! (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 18:50
Quote:
MacWarrior
Sorry to disappont Warr-i-iors !!

I am desperately disappointed but France pose more of a threat to England's title hopes than Scotland so you've probably done us a favour. Obliged.

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 18:54
Have to say Farrell has been my Motm for both of England's games. I'm going to sound like his mum but...

His tackling success rate doesn't tell the story of what England ask him to do. Both he and Ford have the same task in defence, which is to press quickly and put the ball carrier under pressure and force them to commit to contact. Smashing them backwards is an ideal situation but the aim is to stop the ball going wide by tackling at chest height.

Farrell could improve his stats by tackling lower, but that would allow an offload from the carrier. He's giving up personal stats for the sake of the team.

As you can tell, I'm a fan. He, Sexton and Murray are the three players in the tournament that would improve any side.

Whispering_Death
11 February, 2018 19:10
Farrell is a very, very good player but he seems to have god like status these days, almost untouchable. Have a tackling percentage like that in midfield and NZ, and probably Ireland, will have a field day. I wouldn’t be surprised if a number of those missed tackles were due to him going high, trying to put in the big hit, forgetting that he’s not that big and falling off the tackle.

Warr-i-ors!
Warr-i-ors! (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 20:19
Quote:
Brummagem Bertie
Picture on the BBC coverage today before the Scotland game, which shows Anscombe's hand on the ball, which is in contact with the ground. There is clear daylight between the ball and both of Watson's hands. Removes any doubt as to who got there first and that a try should have been given.

Have a look at the close up of Steff Evans knocking the ball on before Anscombe got anywhere near the ball. At the time it was judged the ball hit his knee. A new angle clearly shows the ball in contact with his fingers therefore a knock on.

No try was the correct verdict whichever way you look at it.

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 20:32
Haven't seen the photo to which you refer so can't comment.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 20:51
Underdog you do sound like a fan, it seems like Farrell get a free pass no matter what, he doesn't tackle or run well enough for a centre for my liking and saying he's giving up personal stats for the team is a poor excuse for me.

Still we're all entitled to an opinion and mine is a minority one for not thinking Farrell is the best thing since sliced bread.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 21:22
Quote:
Brummagem Bertie
Haven't seen the photo to which you refer so can't comment.

Shows the tip of his index finger touching the ball. Clearly took someone 24 hrs to find!

MacWarrior
MacWarrior (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 22:06
Depends on whether you look with both or just one eye I suppose !!

schneiderlein
schneiderlein (IP Logged)
11 February, 2018 23:13
What is the definition of "downward"? Does the direction of the pressure on the ball have to be perpendicular to the plane of the pitch? Is there a minimum angle of direction off pressure below which it ceases to be deemed as downward? These questions and many more will no doubt feed my insomnia tonight. ( I would have given the try!)

Du skal ikke tro at du er bedre end os!

Wah-RE-or
Wah-RE-or (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 00:03
Giving the try/no try wouldn't have meant Wales would win. It most certainly would have changed the game but the points themselves wouldn't have given Wales the victory. Remember you would have to take off the three points from the penalty they went back to and the conversion may or may not have been completed but if it had it would only have (with the try) added 4 more points to the overall score. That would mean a result of 12-10 rather than 12-6.

Warr-i-ors!
Warr-i-ors! (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 05:48
And if OF has kicked the first conversion.... 14-10.

The Welsh/Celts need to let it go.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 09:32
Gone.

MSR-Worcester
MSR-Worcester (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 10:17
@theblitzdefence

Good angle here. You can clearly see the recoil of the finger by Steff Evans. Doesn't matter if it touches the knee first or second (still a knock on).

vigorniensis
vigorniensis (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 15:26
Quote:
centrethere
TMO should have given that try though...Poor decision against Wales

Perhaps not?

[Not to mention the numerous forward passes. I thought I was watching the AB's rather than Wales. (Sm100) ]

What was annoying, imho, was in the very first 6Nation match last week the Referee pulled up both sides for a bad scrum put-in. That was the last we heard about it. It's this blatant inconsistency that is annoying and could so easily be remedied.

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
12 February, 2018 15:48
did it not go backwards off his finger? (Sm32). Did expect a blow for each side on the puts I must admit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net