rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
backrow
Denton Gone !!
backrow (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:06
What's going on can't keep up (Sm100)

MESSAGES->author
Re: Denton Gone !!
Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:11
Sad to see Dents go, he has been fab for us this season.. Back to Scotland?? Good luck where ever..

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:13
Shocked isn’t the word

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
Leicester apparently.

Really disappointed by this! He has been good this season.

After his awful time at bath we have given him a chance to re-ignite his career and now he's decided to go! As good as he has been I don't want the club to play him again this season! Really let down!

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
At least it answers the question of how Cornell Du Preez was going to fit in with out existing back row resource.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

SquareWheels
SquareWheels (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:14
Unless he was only signed on a one year deal, this makes little to no sense, IMHO.

Without doubt one of our form players this year (along with Lewis, Spencer and Adams), who gives us precious go forward and the ability to break the gain line - not something we are blessed with an abundance of.

Du Preez is no doubt a great replacement, but was there really no room for both in the squad?

Hopefully some clarity will be provided as to why this has happened. Whilst the signings coming in are good, the outgoings of DoC, Spencer, Willison and Denton would take a huge amount of quality away from any side in the Prem', let alone perennial strugglers such as ourselves!

jgmorgan100
The Mailman (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:16
Wasn't he on more than a one year contract? Absolutely gutted at this news. And if it's Leicester he's going to, then that really takes the biscuit. Makes you sick to the stomach.

MESSAGES->author
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:16
Shame, think he is real class one of the best players we've had. Obviously didn't buy into the AS future...

just got into rugby
Big Bird Warrior (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:19
Really shocked and disappointed by this especially considering his comments in the press about other members of the squad.

"“There are some very strong characters in this squad so if we can get a lot of them to pen deals as soon as possible we can take this club a lot further than we are at the moment.”

Here on 29th December 2017

Makes it sound like he was cast iron contracted for next season.

Hope we are getting compensation for letting him go, if that's the case! (Sm20)

WarriorRiddler
WarriorRiddler (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:20
Denton out, du Preez In...Swapping first class for economy!

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:21
Quote:
WarriorRiddler
Denton out, du Preez In...Swapping first class for economy!

Don't think this is fair!

jgmorgan100
The Mailman (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:23
Hope we absolutely stuff Tigers when we play them. This leaves a very bitter taste in the mouth.

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:24
Mama and Potgeiter must be back soon. When they're fit I would like the club to not play Denton again. Focus on the players that want to be here

SquareWheels
SquareWheels (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:25
Du Preez is a far sight from "economy"!

It is disappointing to see that the likes of Spencer and Denton (it seems) view Sixways as a stop-gap to have your rehab paid for before stepping on to bigger and better things. Some pretty hollow words spoken by both in the lead up to their departures being announced.

incastrowetrust
Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:25
Quote:
The Mailman
Hope we absolutely stuff Tigers when we play them. This leaves a very bitter taste in the mouth.

Hey there is nothing to say it will be happening, just one tweet from a Scottish guy this morning okay.

WarriorRiddler
WarriorRiddler (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:26
wait and see...

jonnyboywarrior
jonnyboywarrior (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:26
Absolutely gutted he is leaving particularly if he wasn't on a one year contract. Our two best ball carriers are moving on which is a blow.

MESSAGES->author
ARFC Warrior (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:30
Quote:
Ayerza wannabe
Quote:
The Mailman

Hey there is nothing to say it will be happening, just one tweet from a Scottish guy this morning okay.

[www.worcesternews.co.uk]

NW2
NW2 (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:30
Didn't see that coming, thought he had settled in well and in a rose tinted world, would have thought that he felt he owed us something.
Just confirms there's little sentiment or loyalty in professional sport.
VERY disappointed 😔

Eternal optimist
Eternal optimist (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:31
If it’s his choice to go then Disappointed in him, especially following his previous comments and if he’s in contract. Edinburgh bound possibly

Warrior7
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:37
If the Tigers rumour is true I wish they'd p*** off and stop tapping up ours/Newcastle's most talented and developed players, very irritating.

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:42
As has been said if it's his choice we should drop him. We showed loyalty in him and he's been completely cut throat to us so why not give him a taste of his own medicine. If it's not his choice then im baffled.

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:48
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
As has been said if it's his choice we should drop him. We showed loyalty in him and he's been completely cut throat to us so why not give him a taste of his own medicine. If it's not his choice then im baffled.

Completely agree with this. Cox, mama and faosiliva are all good replacements.

lokicrichtonfan
lokicrichtonfan (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:50
Give mama some game time instead. Such a bitter pill to swallow whenever tigers take our best players

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 14:01
It’s hardly Tigers’ fault, it’s a combination of our permanent bottom quartile status, and the lure of the historic big boys.

But the players who have gone have seen very mixed fortunes. I suppose they’re thinking at least they’ll be able to tell their grandkids the played for Leicester.

MESSAGES->author
13 February, 2018 14:04
He may be going to Scotland! He played at the weekend and may have talked to the Scottish hierarchy and may be going home....

If he goes to Tiger that will be a bitter pill to swallow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/02/2018 14:12 by knightstemplar.

MSR-Worcester
MSR-Worcester (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 14:09
[www.worcesternews.co.uk]

Bit of an odd one given Denton was disappointed Will Spencer was leaving and said “We are going to have start looking now to fill the void he is going to leave."

Perhaps the departures of Willison and Spencer altered Denton's thinking?

MESSAGES->author
13 February, 2018 14:17
Looks like Dentweezy had a plan... Not one that included us next season. Good luck to him. If he was hoping that Tigers would get him Champions Cup rugby next season he may be a bit disappointed.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

B-road
13 February, 2018 14:17
Maybe he thinks with Mama staying and Du Preez signing, he won't get many starts if he stays

lokicrichtonfan
13 February, 2018 14:18
obviously it isn’t tigers fault but it gets pretty tedious when some of our best players go to them after we show them loyalty.

hairyicecream
wusstawizard (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 14:23
Devastated that he's leaving, but I don't understand the calls to drop him. We're paying his wages for another 4 months, why would we cut off our nose to spite our face? Grind every last bit of juice out of him that we can.

MESSAGES->author
13 February, 2018 14:26
I don't think that any player who has left for another club of their own volition has let us down towards the end of a season. Cannot understand the calls not to play leavers at all!

backrow
backrow (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 14:26
What if Du Preez and Denton have had a fall out in the past, backrowers can be a bit pig headed and never forget what went on in the past .(Sm108)

MESSAGES->author
Skipper (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 14:36
I wonder if the Leicester performace nailed it for them. Spencer and Denton worked well together and both put in exceptional performaces. Good luck to them I say. I would not consider dropping Denton, he has been outstanding for us and I cant see why he would not continue playing at the level he has for us. If his dedication drops then we drop him. We have plenty of cover in the back row and Cox has been imense for us since returning so as sad as it is at least we have the same calibre of player to cover his departure (imo)

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 14:51
Didn't we pay compo to get him from Bath, or am i crossing wires with the Priestland discussions fiasco?

It's clear that we are still being used as a stepping stone rather than a destination by decent players. With the off field circus this season, it's no surprise some of the fall out that is arising with 'shock' departures.

He's entitled to his choice.

It's tough in the club, but i don't want players with half an eye on the next move, when signing their contract with us.

As long as those identified to come in are equal (minimum) or better (preferred), we have to accept some this kind of antics.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 14:51
Ironically our opposite numbers on the Leicester board are not impressed.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 15:06
Quote:
A38
Ironically our opposite numbers on the Leicester board are not impressed.

When are they ever?

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 15:18
Wait til their coaches have him playing at U13 standard next year, ala Mike Williams. See what they think then!!

Ronster
Drahm for England (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 15:30
Gutted about this as he has been one of our best players this season. I'm very much in the grind as much as we can out of him before he leaves camp though, no point him sitting in the West Stand twiddling his thumbs when we've all seen what he can do.

neiljk
neiljk (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 15:34
Much depends on his length of contract and reasons. If we’ve pushed him out or had him on only a 1 year deal then frankly we are fools. If he’s gone before end of contract because he wants the go, then not only are we still fools but Denton has let us down badly

Simba
Simba (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 15:37
As soon as we are safe drop him, just like he has dropped us.

kiddykid
kiddykid (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 16:09
Sad to see DD go and am unsure if du Preez is as good. Time will tell.
If he does go to Leicester then - on past experiences - he will not be as good for them as he has been for us......likewise Spencer as well possibly. Tigers seem to have a knack of taking the shine off newcomers.......must be this silly idea of a senior players dressing room and 'others'. Apparently even George Ford had to'serve his apprenticeship' before being allowed in! Throw in a few punch ups (Barrow v Youngs), a coach who cannot get his players to perform, two sackings in a season of previous coaches and you have to ask WHAT are new players going into?
Like. I said, time will tell.
Lastly, it puts into even sharper focus how lucky we are to have Pens.

Brummagem Bertie
13 February, 2018 16:13
Quote:
kiddykid
Lastly, it puts into even sharper focus how lucky we are to have Pens.

I'd include Johnny Arr and Matt Cox with Chris.

Redditch Crowd
Redditch Crowd (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 16:21
Nope - play him and get the money's worth - if he gets injured, we protect our cover - he should be in the 23 until the last game of the season - any right minded professional wont have a problem with this

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 16:23
Like Spencer he's given us good "Go forward" and plenty of bulk in the pack.
For me, that "Bulk" has ultimately made him a lesser player than the one that originally headed South to seek his fortune.

On more than one occasion this year he has proved a liability with his defence around the fringes and cost us tries.

I understand the "Outcry" from fellow supporters when players we would like to keep get "Tapped up" but it has always been the way of the world and we have to accept it.

Let's also remember these are some of players who have contributed towards our merited position of second from bottom in the Premiership.

We made history at the weekend without both of them.
Lets build a team of players who truly want to be Warriors.
We deserve nothing less.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 16:28
"Lets build a team of players who truly want to be Warriors. "

Spot on SSA.

MESSAGES->author
13 February, 2018 16:39
Quote:
FlipFlop
"Lets build a team of players who truly want to be Warriors. "
Spot on SSA.

Exactly. Pride in wearing the shirt and the three pears...oh hang on!

WorcesterSauce
13 February, 2018 16:41
By playing him we are only improving him for Leicester whilst at the same time blocking the develeopment of one of our other guys and therefore prolonging their development, all for someone who couldn't care less about the club. In the long run we are very much the losers. It's a case of whether you cut your losses by playing Denton now and getting everything you can out of him or developing another player and helping them integrate more into the first 15. IMO we should now be putting faith and loyalty in those who have done so to us. Why should Denton get the privilege of playing for us again over somebody else who wants to more than him?

I understand we're paying him but we're also paying his understudy who just sits on the bench and who we now need to give a chance of showing what he can do and aid his development by giving him valuable game time.

East stand 59
East stand 59 (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 16:51
I don't often post on here, but regularly read posts (does that make me a lurker?) to find out what's going on etc. I'm shocked by this though. There's been no rumour, gossip, TRP twaddle at all about Denton, so this bombshell seems all the more surprising. At least we were primed for Willison & Spencer even if the WN ran the usual 'loving my time here' blah. It's always a bitter pill to swallow when players have been cherry picked after rehabbing themselves at Sixways.

Makes me wonder if with all the movements from Edinburgh to Wuss if there is some 2 way traffic about to take place? Along with Denton being in the Scotland camp these last 2 weeks maybe some quiet words and dealings have gone on. Either that or until we look like a side that is capable of 'top table rugby' then the plastic 4G is never going to look as green as the grass on the pitches of the 'heritage' clubs like Tigers.

MESSAGES->author
13 February, 2018 16:58
It makes you wonder if he is a swap for Du Preez and SRU want him in Scotland (there must be a relationship with SRU they wanted to take the club over)

Brummagem Bertie
13 February, 2018 17:02
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
By playing him we are only improving him for Leicester whilst at the same time blocking the develeopment of one of our other guys and therefore prolonging their development, all for someone who couldn't care less about the club. In the long run we are very much the losers. It's a case of whether you cut your losses by playing Denton now and getting everything you can out of him or developing another player and helping them integrate more into the first 15. IMO we should now be putting faith and loyalty in those who have done so to us. Why should Denton get the privilege of playing for us again over somebody else who wants to more than him?
I understand we're paying him but we're also paying his understudy who just sits on the bench and who we now need to give a chance of showing what he can do and aid his development by giving him valuable game time.

I know this will shock some, but I agree with Sauce. There, I said it. (Sm100)

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 17:03
What’s disappointing in all this is that Dents shock departure has overshadowed the fact we have made two very good signings in Du Preez and Beck and taken the limelight off of those guys. What should have been a feel good day has turned out to be a didsapointed one instead. What we don’t want to do is cut off our nose to spite our face. He’s still a very good player so we should still play him,but I’m turning my focus toward our new boys now

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 17:07
I say send him to Welford Rd on loan and call him back if we need injury cover eye rolling smiley

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 17:13
Really disappointing as he and Spencer have been great for us in terms of getting us over the gain line and now we're losing both.

CdP is a good replacement already lined up and a very similar player which helps.

I understand the frustrations with player and other clubs that always seem to be sniffing around, but I think it's important to remember that if he'd never got fit the club would have cut him loose, and we'd sign a player like this from another club in a heartbeat.

Brummagem Bertie
13 February, 2018 17:13
Quote:
Southstand(again)
I say send him to Welford Rd on loan and call him back if we need injury cover eye rolling smiley

We're not going to get him back until the end of March, although he could play this weekend.

When he does come back, I agree we ought to send him out on loan, but not to Welford Road. Give him some time on Billesley Common. (Sm100)

WorcesterSauce
13 February, 2018 17:25
I understand the cut nose/spite face argument, but surely by playing him we are doing that as on a worse level as we are actively prolonging the development/integration of another member of the squad into the first team AND at the same time helping Denton improve and thus directly training a player to help another club beat us. To me that just doesnt make sense for the sake of 2 months worth of game time. Also, whereas he is a good player he isnt a brilliant player and we aren't a one man team. We're going to have to learn how to be fine without him, so why not start now?

BB - these instances are few and far between....I shall savour it!

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 17:28
We have won 4 Prem games.

Denton has only started 1 and played 15 mins off the bench in another!

Well??

JP

B-road
13 February, 2018 17:37
Quote:
Faithful_City
We have won 4 Prem games.
Denton has only started 1 and played 15 mins off the bench in another!

Well??

JP

This.

Ronster
13 February, 2018 17:53
It's not quite as simple as that though is it? We didn't win those games JUST because Denton wasn't playing and likewise, we didn't lose those matches because he WAS playing!!!

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 18:06
Sad to see him leave as he is a good player but I wish him well with his move. He clearly only signed for a year and is free to move on like he was free to move to us last year.

Hallowed Warrior
Hallowed Warrior (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 18:08
Thanks for the memories Denton....I would rather have players who want to be at Worcester (Pennell / Cox / Mills etc.)

kiddykid
kiddykid (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 18:32
It must have been interesting pillow talk between DD and du Preez last weekend in Edinburgh!

MESSAGES->author
13 February, 2018 18:34
Time to move on its one player

lokicrichtonfan
13 February, 2018 18:55
Has Ben Morgan resigned for Gloucester? Would be a good replacement for Denton

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 19:22
I am a bit perplexed by this situation but he has made his decision and I wish him well. There may be other factors at play that we are not aware of.

Until the end of the season he is a warriors player and I hope he is part of a side that continues to show the promise that it has of late.

MESSAGES->author
13 February, 2018 19:33
No, what am saying is we won the games without him.

What difference him playing would have made we will never know, but 50% of our wins he did not contribute to.

JP

BrumBrum
BrumBrum (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 19:49
Very disappointed Denton is going & if truth disappointed by some of the comments on here.

Am I right in saying, some here think he should not be picked because he is leaving?
If I have it wrong, apologies for the rant below.

Then I assume the same should be the case for Willison & Spencer?
What about the players Warriors don't want next year? Do you expect them to go & sulk, not turn up for training all because Warriors have decided they are not good enough or in their plans?
It's as Soloman said, it's the professional game.
Rugby is a brutal, short career that I love to watch.
These players are on first name terms with all the orthopaedic surgeons, tend to be injured 1/2 their playing career, often have a far higher % of neurology problem after they retire & suffer pain that few of us understand never mind experience.
So what are we doing.....@#$%& and bad mouthing them. Have some shame.

We all wish he would have stayed, because he is a great professional rugby player.
He is going, but being a great professional rugby player means he will continue to perform at the top of his game for us until he leaves.
I for one wish him luck and thank him for his service.

MESSAGES->author
13 February, 2018 20:06
I am not downhearted at all in his leaving.

I would have been is Sam Lewis or GVV had left. I feel Lewis is a fantastic player.

JP

OverTheBoarder
OverTheBorder (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 20:45
Quote:
BrumBrum
Very disappointed Denton is going & if truth disappointed by some of the comments on here.
Am I right in saying, some here think he should not be picked because he is leaving?

What about the players Warriors don't want next year? Do you expect them to go & sulk, not turn up for training all because Warriors have decided they are not good enough or in their plans?
These players are on first name terms with all the orthopaedic surgeons, tend to be injured 1/2 their playing career, often have a far higher % of neurology problem after they retire & suffer pain that few of us understand never mind experience.

We all wish he would have stayed, because he is a great professional rugby player.
He is going, but being a great professional rugby player means he will continue to perform at the top of his game for us until he leaves.

Spot on Brum Brum

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 20:46
Anyway, back to the beginning. The reaction to the rumour which started all this off was that Denton would still be under contract for next season.

But can we now deduce that in fact he was only contracted for one single season? I've seen nothing to contradict that.

If that was the deal it must have been to see if he could regain full fitness and that if not he and Worcester would go their separate ways. After all his signing came very late in the day - well after the season had ended.

As it happens, he did regain full fitness - and enough to get himself a cap last weekend. It could perhaps have gone the other way and early retirement might have been an option.

All total speculation of course.

Freypal
Freypal (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 21:21
Quote:
BrumBrum

100% agree with this. They need to maximise what they can from an extremely brutal and very short career. I'm disappointed he's off but players need to do what's best for them and their families. We don't know the full story behind it all.

Kevin Barrett
Kevin Barrett (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 21:32
A friend of mine in Bath had stated that Denton mentioned that he did not like Warriors artificial/hybrid pitch as it increased injuries to ankles etc. This could have been a factor.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 21:36
Quote:
A38
Anyway, back to the beginning. The reaction to the rumour which started all this off was that Denton would still be under contract for next season.
But can we now deduce that in fact he was only contracted for one single season? I've seen nothing to contradict that.

You deduce correctly. One yr deal to see if he could regain fitness. Same with Mama today you’ll note.

incastrowetrust
Ayerzawannabe (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 21:54
Confirmed to Tigs.

Unlike my fellow Tigers fans I’m quite happy with it.

just got into rugby
13 February, 2018 22:04
How could he have come out with this b*ll*cks about his team mates if he wasn't under contract?

"“There are some very strong characters in this squad so if we can get a lot of them to pen deals as soon as possible we can take this club a lot further than we are at the moment.”

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 22:24
Do we ever get honesty over players moving clubs? Agree with the disappointment due to his comments about others needing to sign. Did we sign Du Preez because we knew he was leaving, or did he go because of this? I don't think we'll ever know. It does seem a poor show by Denton at the moment. It all seems like rugby is going down the same mercenary route football suffers. I'll never forget an Argentine player in his press conference saying "I've always wanted to play for Derby County". I'll choose to take every word players say in the same manner as politicians from now on.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 23:09
Quote:
Fiver
Do we ever get honesty over players moving clubs? Agree with the disappointment due to his comments about others needing to sign. Did we sign Du Preez because we knew he was leaving, or did he go because of this? I don't think we'll ever know. It does seem a poor show by Denton at the moment. It all seems like rugby is going down the same mercenary route football suffers. I'll never forget an Argentine player in his press conference saying "I've always wanted to play for Derby County". I'll choose to take every word players say in the same manner as politicians from now on.
Loved that last bit as I'm a Forest fan! IIRC the player in question was Stefano Eranio!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/02/2018 23:18 by w4rriorz1980.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 23:25
Quote:
w4rriorz1980
Quote:
Fiver
Loved that last bit as I'm a Forest fan! IIRC the player in question was Stefano Eranio!
My bad,it's late! Eranio is Italian!

WorcesterSauce
13 February, 2018 23:35
Quote:
Big Bird Warrior
How could he have come out with this b*ll*cks about his team mates if he wasn't under contract?

Just complete and utter b0ll0cks. Really poor.

In response to BBs comments - i have no qualms with players moving, as you said it happens. I do have problems with them saying one thing in the media and doing another thing when it comes to signing a bit of paper. 'WE can take this club further when the characters sign deals'. For him to say that really is unbelievable if the below is true:

A- he wasnt under contract for next season and
B- he ended up not signing one but signing for Leicester instead.

If the above is true it is a real d1ck move.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 08:11
Quote:
w4rriorz1980
Quote:
w4rriorz1980
Quote:
Fiver
My bad,it's late! Eranio is Italian!

It was possibly Esteban Fuertes. Made me laugh at the time, unless Derby County are a big deal in Argentina. I just felt it proved my point that players will say literally anything in front of the microphone. They'll probably pledge to spend more, in real terms, on the NHS than any of the other players*.

* Politics covered, onto religion next.

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 08:20
Quote:
Powick Eastander
I don't think that any player who has left for another club of their own volition has let us down towards the end of a season. Cannot understand the calls not to play leavers at all!

Think of the psychology of a spurned lover and you’re about there.

Rugby operates on 2 sets of rules - 1 set for the professionals actually affected day in, day out by their decisions and 1 set for moralising fans who turn a blind eye to some of the harsher realities of the professional game to maintain a romanticised outlook on their hobby

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 12:12
I’m still really annoyed at Denton but I’ll leave this as my final comment. What really gets to me is that he never got a look in at Bath and we resurrected his career here and he shows his appreciation by leaving after one season which he’s fully entitled to do,but for all he knows he might not get a look in at Tigers and then he’s potentially screwed himself over for the World Cup by not getting selected for Scotland by not playing. He got selected for Scotland by playing for us so I don’t really understand? If it’s silverware he’s after then fair enough...he may stand a better chance at Tigers.

I still think he should take a leaf out the Gus Creevy book of loyalty towards Warriors though,because that guy left with everyone’s blessing and he did things in the right way. I completely understand it’s a short career but I can’t help but get the feeling of the club were used by him and that doesn’t sit particularly well with me at all.

Hill Warrior
Hill Warrior (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 13:50
Totally agree with you AJ also feel very much the same about Spencer. Give another season and be with fans who want you and support the effort you put in for Worcester.

Villages12
Villages12 (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 14:44
Someone said "once an employee decides to leave you, they may as well go immediately"! This is the way most business's operate, particularly if the person is going to a competitor.

I'm of the opinion that that should apply to certain rugby players unless they have good reason to leave other than £££s.

In Denton's case we'll have to see whether he's fully committed before I make further judgement. Gloucester will be a good test but if he shows signs of lack of commitment I would make it his last game. I recall being at Gloucester last year after Val had agreed to sign for them, he simply wasn't into the game at all and my own view is that was definitely connected to his impending move. The rest of the season he was very poor.

If that happens with any of our leavers they should be dropped. Better to have committed people with loyalty.

As for his destination, maybe he likes crisps and wants to be at Leicester. No-one else making the move has prospered and some have gone backwards. At Worcester these guys have international exposure, at Leicester they are just one of the squad and if others were honest, except for the £££, I'm guessing they might regret their moves from Warriors.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 15:02
Villages, for what it’s worth, and of course we don’t have numbers, but it is always reported by those who should be in the know that Tigers pay less than most other teams.

If you want the privilege of playing for them, it’s on their terms, not yours.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 15:13
I guess the flaw with the stance of "drop 'em if they're leaving" is who do we replace them with.

We are not safe, and arguably if we were to take such a stance, could well bring about our own downfall, without the help of the other 11 teams in the Prem.

I get the angry sentiment, and some of the comparison to 'Garden leave' in everyday rather than professional life, but we are beggars in no position to be choosers with our current resource.

Maybe if mathematics made us safe with a few games to go, you might cut them adrift a bit, but otherwise, work them hard like the professionals they want to be, until their contract is done.

MESSAGES->author
14 February, 2018 15:34
Bristol were vilified for their treatment of Andy Short and Luke Baldwin. Players should play out their contract.. end of.

Ronster
14 February, 2018 16:06
Agreed. Although of we are safe with 2/3 games to go and there is little chance of improving our league position, it would be the time to blood youngsters to give them Prem experience - the likes of Ted Hill etc.

Until then, Denton is one of our better players & must play when fit & available.

Inbox
Re: Denton Gone !
Inbox (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 17:25
Remarkable how underwhelmed so many of the Tiger fans are with their new signings.

We’re disappointed to see them leave, Tigers fans appear to be “disappointed” as one posting stated “on the cheap signings”.

neiljk
neiljk (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 17:42
Disappointing. Denton had no need to say what he did in the media which frankly is blatantly misleading and leaves a poor taste. I don’t think Tigers will win anything anytime soon and I look forward to stuffing them at Sixways in a few weeks time.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 19:19
Leicester could easily be in 9th place by the time we play them. Both Denton and Spencer will want to be playing in the Champions Cup next season. Would they really want to put that final nail in the coffin so secure Challenge Cup rugby for Tigers next season?

Timestheyareachangin
15 February, 2018 07:43
I think the guy is overrated. Not got great hands and loses 5he ball too much in contact. Remember the last few minutes of Gloucester away? We have better young players coming through the system.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 08:01
That was his first game back after an injury, so not going to rush to judgement on that single example.

Granted though, he may not be a complete player, but he's very good for our current, or previous, standards and I would have liked to have seen him stay.

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 08:17
Quote:
Villages12
Someone said "once an employee decides to leave you, they may as well go immediately"! This is the way most business's operate, particularly if the person is going to a competitor.

Ha!

If bloody only!!!

northstand warrior
northstand warrior (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 09:01
Bath supporters have a different perspective on his ability

Bath Forum

Consistency is the key here

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 10:36
Just listened to Flats & Shanks. They both raved about our win at the weekend. Nice.

On the topic of players leaving, they seemed to think it relieves the pressure on them and you start to see some top performances. Fingers crossed that's true. In all fairness both Denton and Spencer are desperate for international honours so I don't see them letting their feet off the gas, neither Eddie nor Gregor would look too favourably.

Old Col
Old Col (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 11:40
How do you listen to Flats and Shanks ?

just got into rugby
15 February, 2018 12:32
I listen to them using Acast on my android mobile. You can download for listening later. If you have itunes, they are on there too, amongst others!

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 12:38
Quote:
Old Col
How do you listen to Flats and Shanks ?

With my ears. (Sm22)

MESSAGES->author
Teme Dream (IP Logged)
19 February, 2018 16:46
Beeb link

Reading between the lines of this article I wonder if we were unwilling to offer him a long term contract?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net