rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Ake1985
Du Preez
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:32
Great signing!

A backrow of Mama, Lewis and Du Preez looks good!

WarriorRiddler
Re: Du Preez
WarriorRiddler (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:34
It would have looked better with Denton...

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:36
Mama is a class player tho.

Dentons off so let's just forget about him now

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:48
CdP looks very handy. 27 in a few day, decent experience, and 4 years service with Edinburgh, so at least he’s a sticker. Didn’t know him from Adam so I’ve had a browse, and he’ll do fine. Scores quite well over his career too.

He’s very welcome.

Warrior7
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 13:54
Apparenty he hasn't hit his straps for a few years since an injury, but that was similar to when we signed Denton, so hopefully we can do the same job. Does seem to stay fit most of the time though which is a welcome change.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
13 February, 2018 16:18
2” shorter and 2st lighter than Denton. We are already a small pack but now we are even smaller.

JP

Pragmaticman
Pragmaticman (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 21:23
Size isn't everything Faithful City don't worry

Warr-i-ors!
Warr-i-ors! (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 21:48
Quote:
Pragmaticman

No better sentiment than this on Valentines Day.

MESSAGES->author
14 February, 2018 21:55
No but a good big-un will always beat a good little-un.

Modern rugby size definitely counts especially in the English Premiership.

JP

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
14 February, 2018 21:56
Quote:
Warr-i-ors!
Quote:
Pragmaticman

No better sentiment than this on Valentines Day.
Ha Ha Ha! Speak for yourself! ;-)

Warrior7
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 00:52
It's not size that matters, it's power and technique IMO. Someone who has explosive power will beat someone with a bit more weight everytime, unless they have poor technique. That's why Pacific islanders make the best rugby athletes in the world - and New Zealand are the best in the world because they combine both.

Matt Cox isn't that heavy but he has explosive power, making him a good carrier. Jack Singleton isn't a big hooker but he makes a hell of a lot of ground.

Saracens' pack is one of the smaller packs in weight, Isiekwe, Itoje, Wray etc are relatively light compared to say Leicester's pack - but I'd argue they have more power and better technique so they are better.

Gone off topic a bit though, be interesting to see how Du Preez gets on, Denton is a loss.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 00:55
Size v other attributes....

Neil Back, Jason Robinson, Shane Williams, Andy Goode...ohh, hang on......

MESSAGES->author
15 February, 2018 07:18
Agreed, exceptions proving the rules.

They are all talked about “because” they are smaller than most but still made it.

Apart from Andy Goode of course.

You’ve named 2 others amongst several 100 players who were all bigger men. There are many who made it who are not as talented but made it “because” they were big.

JP

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 08:10
I don't remember Taulava making any ground when he played for us. I remember the disappointment that a 20 stone number 8 would get tackled so easily every time I watched him. Others may disagree, but I don't think he had the technique to stay upright.

I've not seen Du Preez play, but heard many good things about him, except for one game a couple of weeks ago. I'm looking forward to seeing him in blue and gold (or whatever colour shirt we get next season).

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 09:18
If we get this I'll be happy

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 09:28
As opposed to this (Sm14)

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 09:44
Quote:
Faithful_City
Agreed, exceptions proving the rules.
They are all talked about “because” they are smaller than most but still made it.

Apart from Andy Goode of course.

You’ve named 2 others amongst several 100 players who were all bigger men. There are many who made it who are not as talented but made it “because” they were big.

JP

Yes, Goodie was by way of a jest.

Seriously though, there are enough good little ‘uns to show that size without top level skill is a mixed blessing, although I suppose we’d all rather have a good big ‘un wherever possible, except maybe at 9 where sniping under the tackles can be deadly.

Warr-i-ors!
Warr-i-ors! (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 11:44
Quote:
Southstand(again)
If we get this I'll be happy

Looks absolute quality to me. I’m more than happy with his signing.

MESSAGES->author
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 11:50
Hes got the hands and feet of a back he brings more to the table than Denton

Warrior Al
Warrior Al (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 13:52
Tim Collier was one of the biggest players I have seen but he wasn't prolific at making a lot of ground. If you have the feet and hands to avoid contact size isn't overly important.

MESSAGES->author
Teme Dream (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 14:22
I think he will be a good signing for us - especially if Denton is picked ahead of him for Scotland!

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 16:09
Agree with others that dynamism can make up for lack of size. See Sam Simmonds or David Pocock for further proof.

Denton was both big and dynamic, so CdP has his work cut out in some respects, but we'll just have to be cuter in how we use him. He's faster than Denton with a better pair of hands, so carrying further out seems to make sense. He's more likely to make ground there, or be able to fix the defence and free a quicker player.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 16:20
I was hoping to see him alongside Denton and Lewis before it was announced Dents was off. That would have been an unbelievable back row if Dents had stayed. I’m still hopeful of a big 8 and Du Preez play as a ball playing 6. Can only hope.

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 16:38
I have a feeling it won't get beyond hoping, unfortunately. I can't see why the club would sign such a high profile player as a similar position goes out of the door if they aren't a replacement.

Him and Mama swapping between 6 and 8 and Lewis at 7 would be more than good enough for me.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 17:09
Who said it has to be a high profile player?...I said “big” not “big name”

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 17:32
Du Preez is 6ft 3 inches and 17 stone he is hardly a tiny person which is taller and heavier than Sam Simmonds for example and he is not doing to badly. We are hardly trading Denton in for a dwarf

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 17:56
I didn’t say we were did I? I said I’d have “liked” to “see” him “play” alongside Denton.

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 18:28
Sorry AJ, didn't mean to pee on the chips. I meant CdP was a high profile player.

It would indeed have been great to see him alongside Denton. Interesting to note though that Scotland don't seem to do that. Breakdown work maybe?

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 18:34
No worries Underdog I see what you mean now and yes I agree too

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
15 February, 2018 18:54
I'd like to see Du Preez at 8 and then have a hardworking player like Cox or mama at 6.

Warrior7
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 00:18
Does anyone know the contact situation for Kirwan, Faosiliva and Potgieter?

6. Mama/Cox/Faosiliva
7. Lewis/Kirwan/Potgieter
8. Du Preez/VV

Not a bad backrow at all for next season if we are keeping those players. We've also got Tom Dodd and Ted Hill who will probably be able to fill in soon too.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
16 February, 2018 07:21
Kirwan re-signed in Jan 17. No idea of length however. Could well be a year bearing in mind his injury issues.

Believe Faos and Potgieter have another year each.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/02/2018 07:22 by usa warrior.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net