rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Blue&GoldWarrior
Warriors sign Jersey skipper Van Breda
Blue&GoldWarrior (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 11:00
[warriors.co.uk]

Could be a very useful signing gives us the Pennell cover we were looking for and a decent kicker too by the look of it

AJWarriors
Re: Warriors sign Jersey skipper Van Breda
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 11:04
Thought Id wait this time until someone else posts...racking up my Le Rouxs at an alarming rate! Im really impressed with these signings! Squad depth and player calibre looks solid as a rock for next season with options all over the place.

Looking at this video of him he looks great back up for Pens and I like the fact he can kick well too. Solly is doing a great job so far on the recruitment front. Not expensive but solid [youtu.be] [youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/02/2018 11:13 by AJWarriors.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 11:06
Welcome Scott. Altogether now for our new chant:

Nkosi sikelel' iAfrika
Maluphakanyisw' uphondo lwayo

Blue&GoldWarrior
22 February, 2018 11:21
[quote AJWarriors]Thought Id wait this time until someone else posts...racking up my Le Rouxs at an alarming rate!/quote]

Thought I was going to get my first to be honest (Sm129)

Seems like a sensible way of doing things. Good solid squad players not on huge salaries should leave us some room for a couple of 'Worldies'!

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 11:29
Exactly my thinking Blue! Leaves room in the cap to get some top players in key positions. I really like how we are shaping up for next season now. Real depth is how its looking for me right now

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 11:31
Last night Gus told us he wanted ST holders to hear things first, and kept this news up his sleeve until this morning.

Im just a bit confused.....if he wanted yo make an impression on us last night, why didnt he start with this?

As to Patts Helpful suggestion........well, itd probably go down better than Jerusalem.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 11:36
Hes probably saving that if we signing some big names

hairyicecream
wusstawizard (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 11:40
Looks like a Harry Mallinder style player. No out-and-out pace, but good vision, good all-round skills and quite lanky in build.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 11:48
Looks like he has pace to me, long striding so very deceptive a lot like Chris P himself

Looks good to me

I had also heard a few weeks ago that some of the interested parties we from Jersey so...

JP

Blue&GoldWarrior
22 February, 2018 11:48
From the highlight Warriors posted [www.youtube.com] he seems to cover all of the back line and has a hell of a boot with accuracy too! How long that will last at 6ways we'll see (Sm100)

But be a great player coming on for the last 20/30 to see out a game and slot a few pens to keep the scoreboard ticking

hairyicecream
wusstawizard (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 11:51
Well he's obviously no slouch (are any backs?), but he's not going to burn players.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 12:08
He looks more of a defensive/tactical full back. He looks more of a Mike Brown type of full back rather than an Anthony Watson or Stuart Hogg style so he will fit our game plan and style pretty well. Looks solid in the tackle and hes a big lad! 63 and 15st 6.

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 12:22
As Rollo just informed me this is the second time weve signed a jersey skipper.

Last season was pierce phillips

Eternal optimist
Eternal optimist (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 12:54
Didnt Simon Kerrod come from Jersey?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/02/2018 16:03 by Eternal optimist.

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 13:26
Not sure about this signing. Looks a bit in the joe carlisle mould and looks to lack a bit of pace for our division.
Having said that, what do I know ?. Welcome to Sixways Scott, I'm sure you will be a great success.

kiddykid
kiddykid (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 14:10
Agree with comments about solidity, versatility, etc, etc.
Question.......with van Breda and (possibly) Duncan Weir, what does it all mean for Jamie Shilcock?

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 14:22
Quote:
kiddykid
Question.......with van Breda and (possibly) Duncan Weir, what does it all mean for Jamie Shilcock?

I think Shilcock has proven he has the quality to play at this level so whoever comes in will have to prove they are of better quality to take his place.

gmem
Garym (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 14:50
Out of interest where have all the comments about lack of speed come from - is this know fact or perception?

Southstand(again)
22 February, 2018 15:16
Quote:
Garym
Out of interest where have all the comments about lack of speed come from - is this know fact or perception?

I formed the opinion watching Tyson Lewis skin him for pace at fullback in narrow defeat to Doncaster
Just looks short of a yard for our division. As I said, just an opinion.

Inbox
Inbox (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 16:01
Solid signing, just what we need.

Do wonder if Jersey fans are as unhappy with him as we are with Denton and Spencer for moving on, be that hes only joined last year?

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 16:09
Not 9mpressed in that clip ssa he spent most of the time telling guys what he wanted them to do 9nstead of sorting his own defence out.

Got suckered twice.

JP

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 17:04
Looks a good solid player and a reliable kicking option. Welcome Scott.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

Brummagem Bertie
22 February, 2018 17:08
Quote:
kiddykid

Not anything negative, I'd hazard a guess.

van Breda's highlights seem to feature him mostly at centre or 15, so whilst he may be able to cover 10 it doesn't look like its his first choice position.

Weir coming would simply mean that we have some depth in the squad and an experienced ex-international to mentor an inexperienced 20 year old.

Brummagem Bertie
22 February, 2018 17:16
Quote:
Southstand(again)
Quote:
Garym

I formed the opinion watching Tyson Lewis skin him for pace at fullback in narrow defeat to Doncaster
Just looks short of a yard for our division. As I said, just an opinion.

He wouldn't have been the first to be skinned for pace by Tyson Lewis and he won't be the last: the lad's got gas.

As for being a yard short of pace for the Prem, it's never stopped Mike Brown. (Sm100)

Brummagem Bertie
22 February, 2018 17:31
Quote:
Inbox
Do wonder if Jersey fans are as unhappy with him as we are with Denton and Spencer for moving on, be that hes only joined last year?

It's a very different situation to Denton and Spencer, for three reasons:

1. Both Denton and Spencer were struggling for game time at Bath, having come off injury hit seasons. We gave them a starting berth and resurrected their stalled careers, only for them to scarper by way of thanks as soon as another club came knocking.

2. As a Championship club, there's an inevitability that your best players will be offered a chance to play at a higher level, which you, as a club, simply cannot offer them. Unless something very radical happens there is simply no way that Jersey will ever be a Prem club.

3. Whilst not being overly familiar with Jersey Reds and their coverage by the Jersey Evening Post, I've had a quick look and I haven't spotted an interview in which Scott extols the virtues of the club, his teammates, and expresses his desire to achieve great things with both. (Sm14) (Sm16)

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 17:56
Quote:
Brummagem Bertie
Quote:
Inbox

It's a very different situation to Denton and Spencer, for three reasons:

1. Both Denton and Spencer were struggling for game time at Bath, having come off injury hit seasons. We gave them a starting berth and resurrected their stalled careers, only for them to scarper by way of thanks as soon as another club came knocking.

2. As a Championship club, there's an inevitability that your best players will be offered a chance to play at a higher level, which you, as a club, simply cannot offer them. Unless something very radical happens there is simply no way that Jersey will ever be a Prem club.

3. Whilst not being overly familiar with Jersey Reds and their coverage by the Jersey Evening Post, I've had a quick look and I haven't spotted an interview in which Scott extols the virtues of the club, his teammates, and expresses his desire to achieve great things with both. (Sm14) (Sm16)
Regarding point 3 BB maybe he has said all that via Twitter as most do these days.
Or he'll wait to the seasons conclusion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/02/2018 18:09 by w4rriorz1980.

Inbox
Inbox (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 18:43
Agree with your views BB but similarly I suspect Tigers (and others)will apply the same statement that lesser Premiership clubs have to accept inevitability that your best players will be offered a chance to play at a higher level, which you, as a club, simply cannot offer them.

Southstand(again)
22 February, 2018 19:19
Quote:
Inbox
Agree with your views BB but similarly I suspect Tigers (and others)will apply the same statement that lesser Premiership clubs have to accept inevitability that your best players will be offered a chance to play at a higher level, which you, as a club, simply cannot offer them.

The hole in that argument is that Denton, Adams and Te'o have all appeared in 6 Nations fixtures this year along with with Mills and Spencer also being called into the England squad prior to the Summer tour.

I would also point out that "lower level" though they are the Worcester club have also managed to provide a British Lion ... and even an England captain (albeit under Robinson}

There are many other Worcester players I haven't mentioned who have managed to represent their countries while wearing the Blue and Gold at sixways.

It boils down to loyalty rather than any kudos or aspiration.

BrumBrum
BrumBrum (IP Logged)
22 February, 2018 20:01
Good signing, as said before if we are going to have bench of 6 forwards & only 2 backs, then you need utility players such as Van Breda who can play 15, 10 but also 12 & wing.
Also Jersey have a knack or very good insight, into finding good quality player from SA who nearly made the big time but didn't quite.
Maybe he will finally fulfil the early promise with us.

Brummagem Bertie
22 February, 2018 22:29
Quote:
Inbox

I appreciate your point but I don't think it's valid. Exe have made the breakthrough into Champions Cup rugby and Sale have also had several seasons in the top tier competition. Falcons look like they could do it this season.

So it's not impossible by any means for the lesser clubs in the Prem to make it into the highest level of competition, whereas it is really difficult to conceive of a situation where the likes of Jersey will ever be able to get in the Prem.

Old 7
Old 7 (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 07:58
Whilst it is possible BB. If you had to bet a substantial amount of money today on which team will be top 6 in 1, 3 and 5 seasons time, I'd imagine the money would go on Tigers before Worcester. Essentially, that's what the players are doing, except they are gambling with their careers and going with a safer bet.

Around Christmas, when most would be considering their options, Worcester staying in the Premiership for the next 3 years couldn't have been considered a safe bet so I can understand players moving.

Doesn't excuse the bull sprouted in interviews though.

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 08:14
Quote:
Inbox
Solid signing, just what we need.

Well quite

May he without sin and all that...

BrumBrum
BrumBrum (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 08:17
There is always going to be a bit of media talk, it's the world professional rugby now live in.
When players do it we "now" complain but if they don't we also complain.
Need to remember some of these players are young kids, some good at interviews & others not.
Also don't know if we have a media/PR marketing at Warriors or how good he/she is, but would be amazed if they are as savvy as those in football, advertising or other agencies who represent big industry.
Finally don't be too hard, remember once many years ago working for a company & boss I loved, but was approached by other bigger/supposedly better company (who offered more money) a week after my end of year appraisal where I was so positive....but I left for the other company.
Why, well an extra 10k, a nicer car, but They also offered me more opportunity.
To these guys rugby is a job, a short term job in which there is a huge difference between the top international, national & just Championship. They all want to play at the top level.

Southstand(again)
23 February, 2018 08:50
Quote:
BrumBrum
To these guys rugby is a job, a short term job in which there is a huge difference between the top international, national & just Championship. They all want to play at the top level.

But if you had spent months off sick, or underperforming and your boss showed patience and loyalty in sticking with and supporting you, wouldn't you feel just "slightly" guilty if you "Jumped ship" as soon as a better offer came along ?

I didn't have a problem when someone like Matt Mullan moved on to Wasps. I think by the time he moved he had amply repayed the investment we had made in him.

Denton and spencer's behaviour does raise the odd question.

Men of Honour ? .. hum.

tbird
tbird (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 15:28
Here's some of trivia for you. He spent some time on exchange at Wrekin College, Shropshire in his school days..... but as a cricketer.

Southstand(again)
23 February, 2018 16:16
Quote:
tbird
Here's some of trivia for you. He spent some time on exchange at Wrekin College, Shropshire in his school days..... but as a cricketer.

they had JP Duminy there as well - an even better cricketer

tomthepom
tomthepom (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 18:51
Jersey fans - don't know about unhappy, we recognise that our best players will head to Prem/Pro 14. Disappointed to lose Scott - he's a good player and has leadership skills and while we're pleased he's getting a Prem shot, we probably hoped it would be in summer 2019 not 2018. Given that he's only played 10 games we might have hoped he was below the radar in terms of Prem clubs analysing players by watching matches, but of course the radar that counted in this case was his previous relationship with 'Solly'...

Harvey Biljon's take on it can be found here (2nd half of the clip after he's talked about Reds v Quins pre-season fixture. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05z0gv7

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 23:02
agree JP, both times he needed to hold his position, which he must sort out at premiership level.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
23 February, 2018 23:49
Quote:
tomthepom
Jersey fans - don't know about unhappy, we recognise that our best players will head to Prem/Pro 14. Disappointed to lose Scott - he's a good player and has leadership skills and while we're pleased he's getting a Prem shot, we probably hoped it would be in summer 2019 not 2018. Given that he's only played 10 games we might have hoped he was below the radar in terms of Prem clubs analysing players by watching matches, but of course the radar that counted in this case was his previous relationship with 'Solly'...
Harvey Biljon's take on it can be found here (2nd half of the clip after he's talked about Reds v Quins pre-season fixture. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05z0gv7

Good stuff, thanks tom.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 16:02
Van Breda has scored 18 points (2T,4 conversions) in an impressive win v Bristol.Away aswell! I know we had our problems v Jersey but that was @ their place so surprised Brizzle lost @ home.Great performance from the Reds.

BrumBrum
BrumBrum (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 21:30
Have said a couple of times already.
This guy could be a real find.
He nearly (should have) went all the way a couple of years back, then it seemed not to work out. Think due to his multi position he will be the perfect bench player.
As said in another thread...next years team looks good, very good.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
04 March, 2018 22:29
Quote:
BrumBrum
Have said a couple of times already.
This guy could be a real find.
He nearly (should have) went all the way a couple of years back, then it seemed not to work out. Think due to his multi position he will be the perfect bench player.
As said in another thread...next years team looks good, very good.
I concur!

Colonel1960
Colonel1960 (IP Logged)
05 March, 2018 08:21
Bris fan here... Van Breda was excellent at fullback yesterday and scored two tries against us, i think you may have unearthed a little gem there...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net