rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

MESSAGES->author
O/T....Question, will the poster formerly
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 08:50
known as KenDodd’sDad’sDog’sDead

Now be known as KenDodd’sDad’sDogDeadAndSoIsKenDodd?

Patgadd
Re: O/T....Question, will the poster formerly
Patgadd (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 09:47
Nice one, Ted! On a more serious note, I know of two instances (and I suspect there are hundreds more) of generosity on his part, despite his frugal private life. Lots of stars support charities, and whatever their motives the money is welcome, but he did it on the quiet.. First, my mother witnessed an act of extreme kindness to underprivileged children by Doddy, with the proviso that there be no publicity. Second, there is a hospice on the Wirral which simply would not exist but for the £millions given - not raised - by Ken Dodd, with the same proviso. I could name quite a few celebrities who make a great deal of fuss in public about their charitable work, but there are a few who do - or did - much good stuff out of the glare of the camera lights. Supreme amongst these was Doddy.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 09:55
Yes. Good bloke all round. Met him once at a corporate do where he’d been booked to do a 1 hr stand-up after a posh dinner.

He wandered round the room entertaining diners all through dinner, did his turn, came into the bar afterwards and continued to keep us in stitches for about another 2 hours. He wasn’t quite the last man standing at the end, but pretty close.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 10:01
Doddy in 1961 gave a massive support to our school in a very rough estate in Manchester (Langley Estate) to help develop sport.

We eventually produced 2 International footballers and 4 that played for Man U and City.

We have a lot to be grateful for.

RIP Doddy.

JP

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
13 March, 2018 18:25
I saw him perform in Bournemouth 25 years ago. I was only 18 at the time and my friends thought I was an idiot for going, he wasn't cool amongst the teenagers at the time. However, I had a fantastic time and it did run well over time (he did keep warning us), not that anyone minded. He had us all in stitches with a Gatling gun of jokes. A simply wonderful entertainer.

My favourite was:
"I saw this lovely painting of a rural scene the other day, there was the farmer pulling his cow in one direction, the tax man (boos from the crowd) pulling it in the other, and a lawyer sat in the middle milking it".

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
14 March, 2018 08:12
Quote:
Fiver
I saw him perform in Bournemouth 25 years ago. I was only 18 at the time and my friends thought I was an idiot for going, he wasn't cool amongst the teenagers at the time. However, I had a fantastic time and it did run well over time (he did keep warning us), not that anyone minded. He had us all in stitches with a Gatling gun of jokes. A simply wonderful entertainer.
My favourite was:
"I saw this lovely painting of a rural scene the other day, there was the farmer pulling his cow in one direction, the tax man (boos from the crowd) pulling it in the other, and a lawyer sat in the middle milking it".
(Sm22)

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net