rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

MESSAGES->author
Dear oh dear
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
04 April, 2018 21:02

w4rriorz1980
Re: Dear oh dear
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
04 April, 2018 21:24
No place for homophobia.

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
04 April, 2018 21:25
Feel a bit sorry for the lad as he seems to have almost been brainwashed. Surely he cannot actually believe what he is writing?

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
04 April, 2018 21:33
What's almost worse is that anyone with these extreme views hasn't the gumption to keep it off social media. A great player, but it would appear an idiot on two counts.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
04 April, 2018 21:45
At least one person on this forum is a Churchgoing Christian, and I believe that he and any others here will not take offence when I say this:

According to some religious people (of all faiths), God made the universe, with its hundreds of billions of galaxies each containing hundreds of billions of stars, but is terribly worried about what one relatively new life form in one insignificant planet does with its clothes off.

LiveInHope
LiveInHope (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 06:44
Have no support for any homophobic beliefs at all and am still baffled that in this age someone sexuality is an issue. But i have more sympathy for Israel due to his religious beliefs than if what a certain Sale Player said is true.
I am not saying its right, just more understanding.

Religion & its anti-gay has always annoyed me. Beli

MESSAGES->author
Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 06:49
If he gets to play for Aus again it would be interesting if the ref was Nigel Owens.....(Sm137)

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

Chris1850
Chris1850 (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 07:18
Quote:
LiveInHope
Have no support for any homophobic beliefs at all and am still baffled that in this age someone sexuality is an issue. But i have more sympathy for Israel due to his religious beliefs than if what a certain Sale Player said is true.
I am not saying its right, just more understanding.

Religion & its anti-gay has always annoyed me. Beli

I will say at the outset that I do not condone any homophobic remarks. However, I think you have your sympathies the wrong way round.

Folau has clear and stated homophobic beliefs. That is not in any way clear wrt the Sale player. His alleged comments were made in the heat of the moment following some provocation from the way Shilcock cleared him out of a ruck.

MESSAGES->author
05 April, 2018 09:49
Aus rugby having a chat about Folau

[uk.reuters.com]

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

neiljk
neiljk (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 10:13
I think we need to be clear here anyone making a homophobic comment, even in the heat of the moment, is homophobic. You wouldnít excuse a racist comment in the same way.

Chris1850
Chris1850 (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 10:51
Quote:
neiljk
I think we need to be clear here anyone making a homophobic comment, even in the heat of the moment, is homophobic. You wouldnít excuse a racist comment in the same way.

I agree. My point was that Folau, by his own admission, is a homophobe. We do not know that of the Sale player. He allegedly made a homophobic comment in the heat of the moment. If that is proven and he makes a frank and honest apology then I do not consider that to be anywhere near as serious as comments made after considered thought, by someone who actually believes that homosexuality is wrong.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 16:08
But Folau will tell you it's not something he has a choice about, It's written in the Bible, and is therefore right.

Like virgin birth and resurrection.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 16:29
Quote:
TeflonTed
But Folau will tell you it's not something he has a choice about, It's written in the Bible, and is therefore right.
Like virgin birth and resurrection.
And taxes!

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 16:34
And a place called Hell, where wicked people go.

Tell you what, this could get nasty, Iím out of here!

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 17:55
Would I be considered Islamaphobic if I mentioned all the "Gay Free Zone" posters I've noticed currently being plastered all over London's east end ?

There again, perhaps I'm a Homophobe ?

I consider myself fairly tolerant but have to admit to "getting the wind up" when it all "kicked off" at an Ani difranco gig I was attending a while back.

If I had to give myself any sort of label it would be "Gets confused and is a little too easily embarassed"

I think sexuality should be a private thing rather than something for pubic display - where my usual thought is "Get a room !" (Sm147)

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 20:03
Quote:
TeflonTed
And a place called Hell, where wicked people go.
Tell you what, this could get nasty, Iím out of here!

You won't find it that easy getting out of hell! (Sm73) (Sm139) (Sm14) (Sm100)

Whatever you do, do it safely!

hairyicecream
wusstawizard (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 20:14
Saying that you think homosexuals are going to hell doesn't mean you hate homosexuals. It means that you, like billions of other people around the world including some extremely intelligent people, believe the Bible is the word of God and tells us that God views same-sex relations as sinful. I'm sure Folau would say that anyone who doesn't repent of their sin will go to hell, whatever its perceived nature. "He disagrees with X so therefore hates everyone who agrees with X" is NOT sound logic. I for one applaud Folau for not beating around the bush.

B-road
05 April, 2018 20:31
Quote:
wusstawizard
Saying that you think homosexuals are going to hell doesn't mean you hate homosexuals. It means that you, like billions of other people around the world including some extremely intelligent people, believe the Bible is the word of God and tells us that God views same-sex relations as sinful. I'm sure Folau would say that anyone who doesn't repent of their sin will go to hell, whatever its perceived nature. "He disagrees with X so therefore hates everyone who agrees with X" is NOT sound logic. I for one applaud Folau for not beating around the bush.

I believe there is just one mention in the bible and it doesnít cover women !

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 21:33
The one mention in the bible is to be found in Leviticus. I suggest that everyone should read Leviticus, as you will find that everybody in the world, especially those with Judo-Christian beliefs, books a ticket to hell every day according to the sins described therein.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
05 April, 2018 22:07
Ah, Leviticus. There is a link between Leviticus and Worcester.

Henry VIII tried to use Leviticus to divorce Catherine of Aragon. Leviticus 20:21 to be precise. This says "If a man shall take his brother's wife, it is an unclean thing...they shall be childless."

The brother was of course Arthur and both Arthur and Henry were married to Catherine.

And Arthur is buried in Worcester Cathedral.

Now there's some useless information for you!

WorcesterSauce
05 April, 2018 22:38
Quote:
wusstawizard

Why do you applaud Folau for saying that being gay is a sinful act that should be penalised by hell? Just because he is not beating around the Bush with his views it doesn't make them right. Equally, just because the bible says what it says, it doesn't make it right. Saying somebody should go to hell just because they are gay is homophobic, end of.

B-road
06 April, 2018 06:44
Quote:
Patgadd
The one mention in the bible is to be found in Leviticus. I suggest that everyone should read Leviticus, as you will find that everybody in the world, especially those with Judo-Christian beliefs, books a ticket to hell every day according to the sins described therein.

Does it cover traffic offences ?

Chris1850
Chris1850 (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 06:55
Quote:
wusstawizard

So if you defend Folau's right to hold homophobic views because of his religious beliefs, do you also defend other extreme religious views? What about the right of some Muslims to treat women as chattels because of their interpretation of the Koran, for example? Would you applaud them for not beating about the bush?

hairyicecream
wusstawizard (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 07:33
Chris, nice straw man but my point is that Folau's religious views aren't in any way affecting homosexuals. He is simply expressing his concern about what what he believes to be their fate. If HE believes that the Bible is the word of God, then surely he would be a worse bloke if he were to lie and tell everyone that he thinks they'll be just fine after they die? It's the perceived sin that's the issue, not the sinner.

Chris1850
Chris1850 (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 07:52
Quote:
wusstawizard
Chris, nice straw man but my point is that Folau's religious views aren't in any way affecting homosexuals. He is simply expressing his concern about what what he believes to be their fate. If HE believes that the Bible is the word of God, then surely he would be a worse bloke if he were to lie and tell everyone that he thinks they'll be just fine after they die? It's the perceived sin that's the issue, not the sinner.

I respect your view but I am afraid I vehemently disagree with your interpretation. Imo Folau's position is infinitely worse.

Big T 15
Big T 15 (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 08:16
Wusstawizard regardless itís homophobic is it not?

B-road
06 April, 2018 08:47
I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say that his views are a result of his own prejudices rather than his interpretation of the bible.

He's claiming homosexuality is a choice, which is obviously a load of tosh.

WorcesterSauce
06 April, 2018 09:35
You can say 'nice straw man' but Chris has a point and the analogy is relevant. Big T also has a point, it is homophobic.

hairyicecream
wusstawizard (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 13:54
How is the analogy remotely relevant? It's one thing to give a purely theological answer to a question (as Folau did), it's another to instigate a religious practice that oppresses a particular group of people (as in Chris's Islam analogy).

If you were to ask me what Jeremy Corbyn thinks of the Tory government, I would say he doesn't like it. That doesn't mean I hate Tories or am in some way "Toryphobic", it's simply me providing my interpretation of what Jeremy Corbyn thinks of the Tory government.

hairyicecream
wusstawizard (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 13:56
But don't let logic get in the way of emotions...

Chris1850
Chris1850 (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 14:09
Quote:
wusstawizard
How is the analogy remotely relevant? It's one thing to give a purely theological answer to a question (as Folau did), it's another to instigate a religious practice that oppresses a particular group of people (as in Chris's Islam analogy).
If you were to ask me what Jeremy Corbyn thinks of the Tory government, I would say he doesn't like it. That doesn't mean I hate Tories or am in some way "Toryphobic", it's simply me providing my interpretation of what Jeremy Corbyn thinks of the Tory government.

Yes, but as long as he expresses his strident views about the Tory Government, surely it makes Jeremy Corbyn "Toryphobic", as you call it, which I think is the point

dewibach
Horus (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 16:16
Israel Folau has been bearing Christian witness to revealed to Biblical divine revealed biblical truth and so to the revealed divine law for humans in the Bible.If most posters on this site call this @homophobia', this objection is piffiling since it is based on either man-made secular law or current secular secular prejudices, against which neither stand against God's truth and law. Yes, Israel is quite correct about the Christian truth about the post mortem fate about homosexuals, as I am sure he is, like all other Christians about the truth of Easter, surrexit Christus, Allelia. The post mortem fate Homosexuals, who do not repent of their sins, is no licence to to oppress or persecute them during this earthly life. In the words of St Augustine,( in his work, City of God) they should be treated with caritas.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 17:56
Quote:
Horus
Israel Folau has been bearing Christian witness to revealed to Biblical divine revealed biblical truth and so to the revealed divine law for humans in the Bible.If most posters on this site call this @homophobia', this objection is piffiling since it is based on either man-made secular law or current secular secular prejudices, against which neither stand against God's truth and law. Yes, Israel is quite correct about the Christian truth about the post mortem fate about homosexuals, as I am sure he is, like all other Christians about the truth of Easter, surrexit Christus, Allelia. The post mortem fate Homosexuals, who do not repent of their sins, is no licence to to oppress or persecute them during this earthly life. In the words of St Augustine,( in his work, City of God) they should be treated with caritas.

Oh dear.

Where does he stand on virgin birth and resurrection by the way?

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 18:02
Who's going to phone Prof Brian Cox and tell him the big bang didn't happen?

hairyicecream
wusstawizard (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 18:11
Quote:
Fiver
Who's going to phone Prof Brian Cox and tell him the big bang didn't happen?

I'm just waiting for Prof Brian Cox to tell us how the big bang happened.

MESSAGES->author
Monkey1 (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 19:37
I'm waiting for Richard Dawkins to chuck his views in.

hairyicecream
wusstawizard (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 20:14
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
wusstawizard

Yes, but as long as he expresses his strident views about the Tory Government, surely it makes Jeremy Corbyn "Toryphobic", as you call it, which I think is the point

So we're agreed that Folau's comment wasn't homophobic?

falconsfan07
falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 20:29
I think heís just following his faith, I donít agree with him but that isnít saying heís homophobic, he just sees that as a sin through his religion. And there is loads of chat about it because heís a big time player.

Ask the likes of Faíosiliva, tau fete or our Sinoti, Goneva, Latu and Takulua and I can almost guarantee they all have the same views as folau through their Christian beliefs.

neiljk
neiljk (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 20:59
Following his faith....what rubbish. He has chosen to take an interpretation of something which arguably is or isnít written in a book alongside a whole load of other stuff that Leviticus says is a sin. Many, many other Christians manage to reconcile their faith without resorting to homophobia.

Views like Folauís are out dated and corrosive. Absolutely homophobic.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 21:03
The obvious danger is that you can say anything you like as long as you claim that your religion is the reason. It's already accepted across the pond.

falconsfan07
falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 22:10
Quote:
neiljk
Following his faith....what rubbish. He has chosen to take an interpretation of something which arguably is or isnít written in a book alongside a whole load of other stuff that Leviticus says is a sin. Many, many other Christians manage to reconcile their faith without resorting to homophobia.
Views like Folauís are out dated and corrosive. Absolutely homophobic.

Donít get ya undies in a twist lad, I know itís hard for little boys to not lose their temper...

Aye following his faith...

And the poly lads at your club will almost certainly support Israel.

Recently got back from a 3 month volunteering work in Sierra Leone where itís illegal to be gay and to be doc is punishable by death and the Christians and Muslim are massively against it. One of my volunteers was gay and our in country volunteers knew and showed no sign of homophobia towards her but embraced her in their culture, but when I asked one of the In countryís they said that being gay is a sin. But they really got on. Beliefs of where someoneís is going and being homophobic and hating someoneís is hatched are two different thing pal.im sure falou as a Christian is a really humble fella like all island boys are. Just like I found in Sierra Leone, the peopleís beliefs did not make them bad people, they where humble, welcoming and very kind to those who where different. i stayed with a host family who had very little and they took very good care of me during my time there, even though their views where different to mine by the end of my placement we where like family.

Whatís worries me more are people like you who think that someone is chatting rubbish because they have a different opinion to yours..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2018 22:17 by falconsfan07.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 22:20
Quote:
falconsfan07

Beliefs of where someoneís is going and being homophobic and hating someoneís is hatched are two different thing pal.

Would somebody translate please?

falconsfan07
falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 22:23
Quote:
Patgadd
Quote:
falconsfan07

Beliefs of where someoneís is going and being homophobic and hating someoneís is hatched are two different thing pal.

Would somebody translate please?

Typing off an iPhone thatís had better days...

Beliefs on where someone is going after they die and being homophobic and showing hatred to a gay person are two different things.

However as a pro player he shouldnít say stuff like that obviously but freedom of speech...

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 22:34
Hmmm - let's say I belong to a gay religion which says all heterosexual people are going to hell. Ridiculous? No more so than t'other way round...

Chris1850
Chris1850 (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 22:46
Quote:
wusstawizard
Quote:
Chris1850
Quote:
wusstawizard

So we're agreed that Folau's comment wasn't homophobic?

I give up.

Brummagem Bertie
06 April, 2018 23:29
Quote:
falconsfan07
Beliefs on where someone is going after they die and being homophobic and showing hatred to a gay person are two different things.

1. You don't need to show hatred to a gay person to be homophobic;

2. Believing that someone is a lesser person, evil, a sinner, going to hell, etc. just because they are gay is homophobic;

3. Choosing to condemn someone based on what someone else wrote a couple of thousand years ago, in a vastly different society, far less enlightened and educated than now, with a greatly inferior understanding of the world, rather than using your own experience and judgment, is not only illogical, but completely irrational, IMHO;

4. I've worked with someone who got on great with black people at work but when they'd had a few and let their guard down, expressed openly racist views. When challenged if that was how they felt about the people they worked with they said, "Oh no, they're not like the others." Who knew someone who happily worked with black people could be racist? Go figure.

hairyicecream
wusstawizard (IP Logged)
06 April, 2018 23:44
Bertie, the Bible teaches that all are inherently sinful, and that all sins are equal, so it's definitely not a Christian belief that homosexuals are lesser people and are going to hell purely on the basis of their sexuality. It is people's faith in God and recognition of their sin, however that might be interpreted, that determines their salvation. Folau references as much.

Feel like we're going round in circles on this one, so maybe best to just draw a line under it. Hopefully Folau won't face any sanctions for what he said, and hopefully the world will keep on turning.

Big T 15
Big T 15 (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 00:40
This has made me think two things -

1. The Bible / Christianity is homophobic (do hetero people go to hell for their sexuality?).

2. Folau is a moron for even going there as an international sportsmen and role model of the year 2018 (NOT 18 AD).

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 08:23
The bible condemns homosesuality but condones incest and slavery (nice touch, mistranslating the word dulos as "servant" rather than its true meaning of "slave").

neiljk
neiljk (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 08:31
Falconsfan, i suspect you may be a troll and its probably worth you reading BBs post carefully, anyway.

Freedom of speech is not unlimited and is constrained in law.

Religious belief is entirely the choice of the individual amd therefore there is no excuse for any unacceptable view on tbe grounds of faith

Sincerely saying homophobic things and being homophobic are indivisible

B-road
07 April, 2018 08:34
Quote:
falconsfan07
Whatís worries me more are people like you who think that someone is chatting rubbish because they have a different opinion to yours..

This is absurd.

Everyone has a right to an opinion, but that doesn't mean it isn't complete and utter bllx. Just my opinion, which I don't mind if you think is rubbish, although you won't judging by the above.

falconsfan07
falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 09:24
Quote:
neiljk
Falconsfan, i suspect you may be a troll and its probably worth you reading BBs post carefully, anyway.
Freedom of speech is not unlimited and is constrained in law.

Religious belief is entirely the choice of the individual amd therefore there is no excuse for any unacceptable view on tbe grounds of faith.

Sincerely saying homophobic things and being homophobic are indivisible

Yeah look at the amount of posts I have and how frequent I post on the Falcons board....but you believe what you want.

just trying to have a debate which you canít do because a small minority of you are very sensitive, only a few like. Donít get why youse have to be so opinionated. Just trying to give my point.

All the best for today, hope your guys show up well and give you something to shout about, not too much though. Should be a cracker.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2018 09:28 by falconsfan07.

neiljk
neiljk (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 09:37
Did you actually read your post falconsfan? Calling someone a child amd telling them not to get their undies in a twist is not a hallmark of someone wanting to get into a reasoned debate, let alone the rambling paragraph that follows.

Iím not even sure what the comment about poly lads and Israel is all about either. Perhaps you could explain further?

falconsfan07
falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 09:51
Quote:
KenDoddsDadsDogsDead
Quote:
falconsfan07

This is absurd.

Everyone has a right to an opinion, but that doesn't mean it isn't complete and utter bllx. Just my opinion, which I don't mind if you think is rubbish, although you won't judging by the above.

Nope I donít, You make a valid point. I think ISIS views are bllx, I think that Adolf hitlers views where bllx. I think that Sierra Leoneís laws are bllx. But that doesnít mean all the peoples views are.

A lot of the island boys have a Christian faith and I can almost guarantee you that they would support Israel on this matter, probably even a few lads at your club... but that doesnít mean theyíre all homophobic, itís just how they are raised, they are taught to love god and live their life through the bible. A lot of them send money home to their families and are extremely nice guys. Just like Israel probably is, probably family first like everyone. Itís just how he was raised. I respect that and love that about the island boys.

The islanders come from a whole different culture to ours as well and they live their life through god so I donít think itís homophobic; tuilagi brother is a cross dresser. Itís legal to be so in Samoa and isnít frowned upon at all. He may have the same views as Folou but he supports his brother with money when he needs it.

And of course he is a pro rugby player and should be a role model to every young player out there and as posted before I donít agree with what he said. But I donít think itís homophobic. Just my views.

neiljk
neiljk (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 10:01
Itís just how they are raised...

So if Iím raised to have racist views but Iím nice to my mum and an all round good guy that makes it ok does it?

This for me is a great example of casual homophobia excused by religious belief. Like casual racism or sexism it should be challenged. No one is a prisoner to their upbringing. What you say, do and believe is your own personal choice.

To suggest itís not homophobic is a bit absurd.

falconsfan07
falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 10:03
Quote:
neiljk
Did you actually read your post falconsfan? Calling someone a child amd telling them not to get their undies in a twist is not a hallmark of someone wanting to get into a reasoned debate, let alone the rambling paragraph that follows.
Iím not even sure what the comment about poly lads and Israel is all about either. Perhaps you could explain further?

Aye I did, I typed it as well you know. Yeah I said that because you said my point was rubbish and came across aggressive and bullish.

ĎPolyí short for Polynesian. Is the region where the islanders come from. Samoa, Tongo, Fiji etc.

And how the majority of the people that live there all have a Christian faith. Completely different culture to ours with completely different views.

Not much to my post really, I was just saying how all the Polynesian lads at Worcester probably have the same views as folou about where gay people are going because they are also committed Christians. Same up here with all the Newcastle islanders probably.

falconsfan07
falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 10:14
Quote:
neiljk
Itís just how they are raised...
So if Iím raised to have racist views but Iím nice to my mum and an all round good guy that makes it ok does it?

This for me is a great example of casual homophobia excused by religious belief. Like casual racism or sexism it should be challenged. No one is a prisoner to their upbringing. What you say, do and believe is your own personal choice.

To suggest itís not homophobic is a bit absurd.

Nope thatís not okay, racism, homophobia, islamaphobia all disgust me.

and the island boys arenít raised like that as Samoa proves; it is legal to be gay and to be a cross dresser in Samoa and isnít frownded upon by the public but embraced. If the large Christian communities where homophobic then surely cross dressing and being gay would be illegal in Samoa.

They arenít taught that gays are going to hell, stay away from them., but are taught the bible.

We can just agree to disagree. Good luck today. Hope both teams show up well and make a good contest if It.

Rinkadink
Rinkadink (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 10:23
Quote:
falconsfan07
Quote:
KenDoddsDadsDogsDead
Quote:
falconsfan07

This is absurd.

Nope I donít, You make a valid point. I think ISIS views are bllx, I think that Adolf hitlers views where bllx. I think that Sierra Leoneís laws are bllx. But that doesnít mean all the peoples views are.

A lot of the island boys have a Christian faith and I can almost guarantee you that they would support Israel on this matter, probably even a few lads at your club... but that doesnít mean theyíre all homophobic

It does, sadly.

It's pretty easy to understand that if you are told horrible things will happen to you if express any feelings towards members of the same sex, that is a very damaging thing and textbook homophobia.

For the record cross dressing =/= homosexual.

falconsfan07
falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 10:43
Quote:
Rinkadink
Quote:
falconsfan07
Quote:
KenDoddsDadsDogsDead
Quote:
falconsfan07

This is absurd.

A lot of the island boys have a Christian faith and I can almost guarantee you that they would support Israel on this matter, probably even a few lads at your club... but that doesnít mean theyíre all homophobic

It does, sadly.

It's pretty easy to understand that if you are told horrible things will happen to you if express any feelings towards members of the same sex, that is a very damaging thing and textbook homophobia.

For the record cross dressing =/= homosexual.

Only referring to Sierra Leone on that top paragraph. Yes it is very homophobic by the government and is punishable by death or imprisonment. However SL is a majority muslim country with a muslim president. It wouldn't be legal if it was a christian majority either but I don't think the country would have the death penalty. But like I say, I was there with a gay friend for three months and local in country's knew she was gay and did not care at all.

A better point would be the Samoa law, where it is legal to be a homosexual in a majority christian community. I don't think that would be aloud if the christian people who lived there where homophobic.

I don't agree with Folou, but I also dont think that this is homophobia either. Tbh he should just not of replied to that person on his instagram with Jesus's plans for gay people. Stupid thing to do as a professional athlete.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2018 11:18 by falconsfan07.

neiljk
neiljk (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 11:04
So, Iím not aware it has ever been illegal to be female anywhere but that does not mean sexism doesnít happen.

The fact it isnít illegal in Samoa doesnít mean in itself the belief is not homophobic.

Iíll be honest Iím struggling to understand why you think someone who says homophobic things isnít homophobic apart from you think they are nice guys, just following their religion/upbringing etc.

I think if I told my wife that I thought a womanís place was to cook and clean because thatís how I was brought up sheíd think me sexist.

Rinkadink
Rinkadink (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 11:18
It is categorically homophobia and a very unpleasant and damaging thing. It should not go unchallenged.

What I think you're trying to say is that someone who has expressed a homophobic view is not automatically an inherently bad person, which I agree with. Which is why it's important to speak out about it and try to inform and educate where possible.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 11:28
Rinkadink makes a very good point, which is at the heart of the issue (yes, I know he's from Brizzle, but we all have a cross to bear!)

I was brought up in the 1950s by racist parents, or at least a racist mother. I didn't really become enlightened until I was in my twenties, after which I had many an argument with her. It wasn't until I began to try to understand why she felt that way that shouty arguments turned into sensible debates. The way to change the minds of religious homophobes is surely to debate the issue in the context of their religion. How? I wish I knew.

falconsfan07
falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 11:43
Neiljk, I can really see how it would really hurt someones feelings who is gay, it is awful to say that anyone is going to burn in hell for which sex they are attracted too, but folou is just quoting from a book that he is dedicated to following and believes to be right and has lived around his whole life.

However, I do think he could challenge himself to think differently, the book was written thousands of years ago in a different society, so he could challenge himself and think that god would adapt his views as society has changed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2018 12:09 by falconsfan07.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 11:58
and the rest of us can quietly ask ourselves why on earth we're taking any notice of him at all.

hairyicecream
wusstawizard (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 12:41
World's gone mad. You know we've got it good in the 21st century when people deem it necessary to kick up a sh*tstorm about a rugby player exercising his right to freedom of speech. You're all very good little millennials.

WorcesterSauce
07 April, 2018 13:38
Quote:
wusstawizard
World's gone mad. You know we've got it good in the 21st century when people deem it necessary to kick up a sh*tstorm about a rugby player exercising his right to freedom of speech. You're all very good little millennials.

No mate we can just recognise homophobia when we see it. Saying someone should go to hell because they are gay is homophobic. End of. As has been asked, does the bible also say people should go to hell for being straight, yes or no? Folau can say what he want's but it isn't rocket science to expect some back-clash from this sort of stuff. If you can't see that i'd suggest you're out of touch with reality and perhaps have your blinkers on. At best his tweet is recognising the completely homophobic nature of his religion, at worst he himself is endorsing and sympathising with these homophobic views. Neither reflect on him well.

Rinkadink
Rinkadink (IP Logged)
07 April, 2018 13:51
True colours being shown here and it isn't pretty.

Quote:
wusstawizard

He's okay to say what he likes (he is, and did so!) but we are not to because you disagree or don't like the truth of what is being said.

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 09:54
[www.skysports.com]

Not formally sanctioned.

Brummagem Bertie
17 April, 2018 15:55
Rugby Australia bottle it.

Pretty spineless from the governing body, really.

neiljk
neiljk (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 19:35
Poor show. Seems as far as rugby Australia are concerned, hide your prejudice behind your religion and youíre all good...

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 20:31
both brain-washed and hope it will sneak under the carpet. Probably will for now until he gets wound up again and posts on social media. Might be a few more baiters out there now....

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 20:41
Iím pleased the he is not being sanctioned while what he said was wrong and distasteful and probably offensive to some to have free speech you must accept that people will at times say things that are offensive. Hopefully someone will have a very honest word to him about why what he said is wrong, thatís all that is needed.

Brummagem Bertie
17 April, 2018 21:33
Sorry, but this is not about free speech or being free to practice your religion, it's about making a statement that's homophobic.

Folau is an employee of Rugby Australia and is bound by a disciplinary code of conduct. That code undoubtedly extends to use of social media, in the exact same way that the disciplinary code of conduct at my work place covers me. He clearly breached that code.

If I breached my work's code the way he has done, my religion wouldn't protect me because it is not relevant. I am free to believe whatever I want but there are very clear restrictions on what I am allowed to express on social media, even if it is my belief. If I step over that line, I'm fair game, not because of my beliefs but because I've broken the rules on what I'm allowed to express on social media.

Yes, that's a restriction on my freedom of speech but there is no such thing as absolute freedom of speech. There are plenty of restrictions in general life and even more in particular jobs. You have to make a decision if you want to follow a particular career to abide by the rules that apply to that career choice. If you feel that you can't then you have to find another job.

None of that is denying someone free speech or the right to believe whatever they want, it's just life.

hairyicecream
wusstawizard (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 22:34
Glad to see common sense prevailing. Had a good chuckle reading all the faux outrage on here.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 22:45
Folau is a very good rugby player. I think that's what I've learned from the outcome. A bit like when Toby Flood didn't tip tackle Andy Goode just before the Six Nations.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 07:47
2 points.

1) Australians donít really do pc at all.

2) If he belonged to any other creed than the home based creed of choice weíd simply call him a religious extremist, which is what he is, and take no notice of his ravings.

His beliefs as a christian have no more credibility, or interest, for many of us than if he was a flat-earthist or whatever.

Wusstawizard, it isnít so much faux-outrage as mystification as to why anyone cares in the least what he thinks or says about anything other than stuff on the pitch.

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 08:12
Quote:
TeflonTed

Wusstawizard, it isnít so much faux-outrage as mystification as to why anyone cares in the least what he thinks or says about anything other than stuff on the pitch.

Exactly Teflon I have long wondered by the obsession in modern society where athletes, actors, musicians, TV 'stars' have been placed on a pedestal with their views and opinions. They should be judged on their craft for which they are employed and nothing else, if they are mindless idiots with moronic views then so be it they exist all around society and I often find the best idea with such people is to ignore them.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 09:56
Yes Baggie, isnít it fun when they invite some stand-up or other onto Question Time and expect them to give informed opinion on matters of the day.

They may as well invite me or you.

Now that would be fun.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 11:24
WBW, I think you do actors a great disservice. They usually have to get up by noon, ready to pretend to be somebody else. Admittedly they're given the clothes and told what to say and where and how to say it, but they do have to learn their lines (oh, wait a minute, on telly or in cinema they read from idiot boards). Still, they have to try not to bump into the furniture, and they have to agree to go on chat shows (for a fee, true) and tell everybody what bloody hard work it was. It's a hard life.

Brummagem Bertie
18 April, 2018 20:03
Couple of All Blacks not amused.

No doubt some on here will just regard this as more "faux outrage". (Sm16)

hairyicecream
wusstawizard (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 10:42
Yes, Berts. It's free publicity for them, and an easy way to attract support. The most virtuous thing you can do in today's society is speak up for gay rights, and the most heinous is the opposite. In reality, no-one particularly cares whether homosexuals are allowed to marry, but because the hard left dictates so much of the public discourse these days, everyone feels pressured into banging on about this stuff disproportionately. Same goes for the whole transgender thing.

Brummagem Bertie
19 April, 2018 11:47
Quote:
wusstawizard
Yes, Berts. It's free publicity for them, and an easy way to attract support. The most virtuous thing you can do in today's society is speak up for gay rights, and the most heinous is the opposite. In reality, no-one particularly cares whether homosexuals are allowed to marry, but because the hard left dictates so much of the public discourse these days, everyone feels pressured into banging on about this stuff disproportionately. Same goes for the whole transgender thing.

You really don't have a clue, do you?

If it wasn't for conservatives constantly trying to deny gay people basic rights and criminalise their behaviour there wouldn't be anything for anyone to get excised about.

Contrary to your glib assertion there are plenty who are extremely concerned about gay people marrying, including many on the right and religious fundamentalists of many hues: Folau himself published his own opposition to it in the run up to Australia's vote last year.

The hard left dictate nothing, unless you are one of those so clueless about politics you think Corbyn is hard left. Even if he is, the idea he dictates what most of the media and society in this country think, say or talk about is such ludicrous claptrap it's not worthy of a first thought, let alone a second.

And perish the thought that Brad Weber might be genuinely upset that someone he has to play against has said something insulting about his relatives, albeit indirectly. No, he must be just virtue signalling in pursuit of cheap publicity. Funny how you chose not to tar Folau with that particularly dirty brush.

Still, feel free to come back with another facile, ill considered attempt to trivialise a serious subject.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 12:25
I remember having dinner with a serving Lt Col around 20 years ago when the media were up in arms about homosexuals in the army (obviously on the side for, not against). He said "There have always been gays in the army, we know who they are, they know who they are, everyone just gets on with things. The only problems occur when the media start talking about it". I'll never forget those words.

Would it be better all round to stop talking about it and let everyone get on with their lives?

Brummagem Bertie
19 April, 2018 12:33
Quote:
Fiver
I remember having dinner with a serving Lt Col around 20 years ago when the media were up in arms about homosexuals in the army (obviously on the side for, not against). He said "There have always been gays in the army, we know who they are, they know who they are, everyone just gets on with things. The only problems occur when the media start talking about it". I'll never forget those words.
Would it be better all round to stop talking about it and let everyone get on with their lives?

Except until everyone started talking about it, it was still outlawed and if it suited the forces they could and did boot people out for being gay.

It was only once people started talking about it that gay people had the right to serve, just like straight people,, and didn't have to hide who they were, keep their noses.clean, and hope they didn't upset the wrong people or their lives would be hell, never mind the threat of blackmail.

If you think this is overstated, try reading up on Alan Turing.

hairyicecream
wusstawizard (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 13:49
Quote:
Brummagem Bertie
Quote:
wusstawizard

You really don't have a clue, do you?

If it wasn't for conservatives constantly trying to deny gay people basic rights and criminalise their behaviour there wouldn't be anything for anyone to get excised about.

Contrary to your glib assertion there are plenty who are extremely concerned about gay people marrying, including many on the right and religious fundamentalists of many hues: Folau himself published his own opposition to it in the run up to Australia's vote last year.

The hard left dictate nothing, unless you are one of those so clueless about politics you think Corbyn is hard left. Even if he is, the idea he dictates what most of the media and society in this country think, say or talk about is such ludicrous claptrap it's not worthy of a first thought, let alone a second.

And perish the thought that Brad Weber might be genuinely upset that someone he has to play against has said something insulting about his relatives, albeit indirectly. No, he must be just virtue signalling in pursuit of cheap publicity. Funny how you chose not to tar Folau with that particularly dirty brush.

Still, feel free to come back with another facile, ill considered attempt to trivialise a serious subject.

Berts, you're way out of touch. Guessing you're not younger than 35. You only have to visit any university campus/lecture, or the BBC website, and you'll realise that the left absolutely do dictate the conversation. The censorship on any opposing view is actually a bit scary.

Opposing "gay marriage" is a perfectly legitimate stance to take. Countless studies have shown that the best home environment in which a child can be raised is one with a mother and father. Marriage was created as a union between a man and a woman; if you're willing to randomly redefine it because "love is love", then where do we stop? Do we allow polygamy? Paedophilia? Yes, you probably think I'm overreacting, but am I? The pro-gay marriage brigade haven't set any ground rules other than "love is love", so surely anything goes?

See, for society to work, we have to have structure (ooh scary). Gay couples in a civil partnership had exactly the same rights in the eyes of the law as married couples, but we had to scrap an entire societal structure (marriage) in order to accommodate a petty minority. Let's say a 40-year old suddenly wants to be 30 years younger so he can go back to school. Who are you, as a supporter of absolute individual liberty, to stop him? You can't dictate his decisions, or deny him the right to live out the life he feels he deserves, because you've set a precedent by re-defining marriage and to prohibit him from re-defining age would be hypocritical.

No, Corbyn's not hard-left. He's only praised Karl Marx on record once or twice.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 14:34
You lost me when the 40 year old magically dropped 30 years...

Anyway, about that rugby!!!

B-road
19 April, 2018 14:48
Quote:
wusstawizard

Berts, you're way out of touch. Guessing you're not younger than 35. You only have to visit any university campus/lecture, or the BBC website, and you'll realise that the left absolutely do dictate the conversation. The censorship on any opposing view is actually a bit scary.

Opposing "gay marriage" is a perfectly legitimate stance to take. Countless studies have shown that the best home environment in which a child can be raised is one with a mother and father. Marriage was created as a union between a man and a woman; if you're willing to randomly redefine it because "love is love", then where do we stop? Do we allow polygamy? Paedophilia? Yes, you probably think I'm overreacting, but am I? The pro-gay marriage brigade haven't set any ground rules other than "love is love", so surely anything goes?

See, for society to work, we have to have structure (ooh scary). Gay couples in a civil partnership had exactly the same rights in the eyes of the law as married couples, but we had to scrap an entire societal structure (marriage) in order to accommodate a petty minority. Let's say a 40-year old suddenly wants to be 30 years younger so he can go back to school. Who are you, as a supporter of absolute individual liberty, to stop him? You can't dictate his decisions, or deny him the right to live out the life he feels he deserves, because you've set a precedent by re-defining marriage and to prohibit him from re-defining age would be hypocritical.

No, Corbyn's not hard-left. He's only praised Karl Marx on record once or twice.

Nurse !

WorcesterSauce
19 April, 2018 15:00
WW i can't believe you've had to audacity to write such drivel after claiming BB is out of touch.... as KDDDD says, nurse?!??

Oh and by the way, i'm under 25 and a recent uni graduate. Not sure which uni you went to but mine taught me to look at things with an open mind and promoted inclusivity, same can be said with my sixth form college and state secondary school. It also taught me right from wrong and that prejudicing people on things such as their religion, gender, sexuality is wrong.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 15:58
I think the point WW was getting at is that society only works because of the structures put in place over many hundreds (maybe thousands) of years. The opposite of structure is chaos.

The lines are getting shifted all the time, the problem being to what end? Some folk are intelligent enough to deal with situations rationally, others deal on a more selfish level, because let's face it, they want something so in their mind they 'deserve' it.

By the way, my pet hate is the word 'deserve'. If it's in your contract of employment, or legal statute, you deserve it. Otherwise, you more than likely just 'want' it. Perhaps a lot, and you might not care who if irritates.

WorcesterSauce
19 April, 2018 16:37
Not sure myself Fiver. When WW uses logic that suggest if you are over 35 or havent been to uni you are ''out of touch'', that being against gay marriage is ''perfectly legitimate'', insinuating that by allowing gay marriage we may have to allow paedophilia and calling gay people who want to become married ''petty'', it doesn't paint a very clever picture of him. In fact, it's starting to paint an increasigly homophobic one.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 18:48
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
WW i can't believe you've had to audacity to write such drivel after claiming BB is out of touch.... as KDDDD says, nurse?!??

+1

Hard to believe WW is for real, so much wrong in so few posts.

yellow450
Yeller (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 19:05
Quote:
dkexile
Quote:
WorcesterSauce

+1

An interesting view. The liberal element throw tantrums and tell the rest of the world they are wrong if they don't agree with their liberal views.

WorcesterSauce
19 April, 2018 19:41
I didnt know it was a purely liberal view to be non - homophobic, yeller.

hairyicecream
wusstawizard (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 21:13
Quote:
dkexile
Quote:
WorcesterSauce

+1

Care to elaborate?

hairyicecream
wusstawizard (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 21:21
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
Not sure myself Fiver. When WW uses logic that suggest if you are over 35 or havent been to uni you are ''out of touch'', that being against gay marriage is ''perfectly legitimate'', insinuating that by allowing gay marriage we may have to allow paedophilia and calling gay people who want to become married ''petty'', it doesn't paint a very clever picture of him. In fact, it's starting to paint an increasigly homophobic one.

I'm a "her", not a "him".

Yes, I'd say it's fair to say that you probably are out of touch with the education system and social media if you're over 35. I don't think that's a particularly controversial statement? And even if you disagree, that doesn't in any way affect the validity of the ensuing points.

WorcesterSauce
19 April, 2018 21:45
Quote:
wusstawizard
Quote:
WorcesterSauce

I'm a "her", not a "him".

Yes, I'd say it's fair to say that you probably are out of touch with the education system and social media if you're over 35. I don't think that's a particularly controversial statement? And even if you disagree, that doesn't in any way affect the validity of the ensuing points.

Apologies for getting the wrong gender if you are female.

Not sure how being over 35 makes you unable to browse the bbc website or how a university campus is the ultimate metre for measuring how out of touch people are. There are far more people who don't go to University than do. Are they all out of touch? Nevertheless If the comments are not relevant to the ensuing points, why are you including it? Is it to try and belittle BB by making out that he is out of touch with reality?

You're points are all valid, i follow the logic, but i think they are just weird and dated. They wouldn't look out of place in the 1930s, luckily they do in 2018, which is why i find it hilarious that you're trying to argue BB (someone who may or may not be be a lot older than you) is out of touch. To say somebody who wants gay marriage is 'petty' is one of the pettiest things i've read. Overall, Bizarre.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/04/2018 21:57 by WorcesterSauce.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
19 April, 2018 22:17
Might I ask how long this discussion is going to last? It's just that I plan to go on holiday in June...

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
20 April, 2018 08:00
Told you it would get nasty.

MESSAGES->author
20 April, 2018 08:10
This thread has got waaaay too political to be honest. Please keep posts off politics and religion.. Many thanks.

Closed the thread. If protagonists wish to carry one their conversation them PM each other please.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/04/2018 08:13 by Powick Eastander.

This Thread has been closed
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net