rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Warrior15
Dorian Jones
Warrior15 (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 00:30
Thought tha this man was magic today and he really made a difference when he came on. In 20 odd minutes he scored three conversions and didn't make a mistake. Shillcock did not play well but he lacked confidense, when Dorian he lifted the team's morale and may have led to our win. Would like him to start next game. Does any one know how long is left on his contract at Newport? It would be good to get a good substitute fly half to replace Olver. I would prefer him to Duncan Weir. Some may call me optimistic but he has got 84 points in 12 appearances for Newport this season.

Freypal
Re: Dorian Jones
Freypal (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 06:39
Rumour I'd heard is that the Dragons were happy to loan him out as he was commanding a decent wage bill there whilst not being used. So I would suspect that beyond this season he's free to go where he wants.

Based on his Cavs performance and his bench performance yesterday, I'd love to see him start next week and all being well stay on. It was a very mature and intelligent performance from him yesterday. Some superb tactical kicking really piled on the pressure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2018 06:43 by Freypal.

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 06:47
He's what I would call a "Tidy ten".
The Welsh league has always been littered with them. Decent skill set. Decent boot.
Like his older brother, never really going to get anywhere playing for his dad and is really at a stage in his career where he would benefit from a move.

Would like to think he could find a home at Sixways.

Blue&GoldWarrior
Blue&GoldWarrior (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 06:50
Was really impressed by him. That change of direction and kick to the corner was top class!

Also went to show how class Ben Teo can be with a 10 playing with confidence inside him!

Another season with Shilly learning off 2 experinced 10s would do him the world of good and maybe give him the chance of a champ loan spell

MESSAGES->author
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 07:17
Be a good impact player wear down the oppo bring him on last 20/30 minutes especially with Hougaard and Mills playing. Wouldnt be a bad plan on the bench behind Lance.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 07:44
Back line at one point yesterday looked very multi-national with Te'o the only exception. Not sure how much this is a problem.

Warrior7
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 09:51
Don't forget Pennell A38, Dowsett and Hammond are also EQP.

just got into rugby
Big Bird Warrior (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 09:59
Also heard he is still under contract at Dragons next season but would really like to come here

kiddykid
kiddykid (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 12:31
I agree with Freypal - and I would go further........Johnny Arr is/has been a mavellous servant to us. SHilly is a great prospect although I am still unsure what his best position is. So, yesterday, we bring on Jones and Dowsett. Up went the pace, the accuracy improved immensely, the movement across the back line went up a gear, more chances were created. So, did we pick - ARE we following - the best selection policy for the remaining crucial games?
Irish are NOT dead and buried yet.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 12:35
kk is spot on . From the evidence of yesterday and the Mon A game Jones and Dowsett should start.

ephil
ephil (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 13:16
Dowsett and Jones clearly had a big impact. Dowsett’s passing was superb in injecting pace in the back line.

I do think that the hard work was done in the opening 60 minutes and Falcons looked dead on their feet by the end. I was impressed by the patience they had in sticking to the plan

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 14:45
I though Johnny Arr had a cracking game, he was quick to the ball and got it moving fast. It was this pressure that eventually told making it slightly easier for Dowsett and ultimately Jones.

The starting XV did a fantastic job and the finishers did just that.

JP

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
08 April, 2018 15:45
Having won effectively yesterday, I'd be surprised if the half-backs starting and finishing is changed for the next game

MSR-Worcester
MSR-Worcester (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 08:17
I agree that Jones had a big impact when he came on. However it's easy to be impressed when he takes on the goal-kicking duties, Shillcock didn't have that opportunity as Pennell was kicking. Shillcock also made a couple of great tactical kicks to the corners which have been forgotten. However his attacking game was very lateral.

As others have said, coming on as a sub when the defences are tired is much different to starting the game. Let's see how Jones does for a full 80 before making judgement.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 08:25
I thought Shilly had a poor game, perhaps the game plan was to blame with Willison acting as first receiver at times. The back line was very lateral and every ball Te'o got left him static. He then started making errors as frustration got the better of him.

Jones did nothing flashy, being new to the side he doesn't know all the moves but instead brought calmness and accuracy. I'd be keen to start with Jones for the next game with Arr if Francois hasn't recovered.

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
09 April, 2018 09:21
It might be better for Shillcock if he comes off the bench next game. That way, he has the advantage of tiring opposition, and doesn't have the pressure of having to run the game.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 09:27
.. and now we read that Jones wants to stay. If he does.we'll have Heathcote, Shilcock, Lance and Jones - not to mention the possibility of Duncan Weir!
At last we'll be able to do without somebody saying every other day on the forum the old mantra "We need a 10".

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 09:47
The usual joke is to ask the question "Can he kick?". Well, at least we know the answer to that one.

Some have mentioned that Weir has already signed, that would leave us fully stocked at 10 which is a shame in a way as I like what I've seen of Dorian so far. I suppose it depends on the plans Solly has for Tom and Jamie.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 10:00
Shilly back to 15 or even 9 as that is where he started.

JP

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 10:14
I must admit I thought Shilly looked very good as a 15.

Blue&GoldWarrior
Blue&GoldWarrior (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 10:28
Shilly as 15/10 cover but I think a dual registration would be good for him too! He's only played Prem rugby and a stint in the champ may help his confidence, he's still young and we don't want rush him

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 10:54
Think Shilly would have even less opportunity at 9 with Arr, Hougaard, Baldwin, Dowsett and the new lad from London Scottish.

10's might be stacking up to if we keep Tom, add Lance, Jones and Weir.

15 has CP with Adams at a push, Van Breda, so may be his better option re opportunities, but how many Prem sides have a 20 year old at FB?

Jones has made a solid enough start.

It would be nice to see him pit his kicking skills against Le Roux, Wade and Gopperth at the weekend, as it was one facet of their play, together with Cips until he got clattered, that stood out. The kicks were made with intent and purpose, and came from at least 3 different positions on the field to help change the direction and tone of play. Yeap, they didn't win the game, but their kicking game was top drawer IMO.

kiddykid
kiddykid (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 15:56
As our riches at quarterback grow, more and more I see Shilly's mid/long term being at 15.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 17:07
Quarterback?

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 17:59
Quote:
kiddykid
As our riches at quarterback grow, more and more I see Shilly's mid/long term being at 15.
(Sm110)

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 18:03
Quote:
TeflonTed
Quarterback?
Didn't you know Shilly is off to play for Worcester Black Knights American Football Team?! (Sm161)

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2018 18:05 by w4rriorz1980.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net