rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Blue&GoldWarrior
Duncan Weir Signs...by the look of it
Blue&GoldWarrior (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 09:47
Nice little bit of humor from the club with this

[twitter.com]

A38
Re: Duncan Weir Signs...by the look of it
A38 (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 09:50
Not unexpected given the news about Olver going to Ealing released last Friday. Announcements timed presumably?

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 10:23
Nice bit of photoshopping!

just got into rugby
Big Bird Warrior (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 11:00
CONFIRMED!

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 11:04

Simba
Simba (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 11:05
Great news. We have seen how good the team can be with a quality 10

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 11:08
More to come?

I know that I'm guilty of trying to wring some meaning out of a couple of words but this phrase struck me in the Weir press release:-

"...as we continue to build an exciting squad ahead of the 2018/19 season"

Continue to build? Sounds good.

MESSAGES->author
Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 11:10
Finally the depth we need at 10!

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

Humps for 1 Mile
Humps for 1 Mile (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 11:13
Fly Halfs are becoming a bit like buses - we struggle to find one then there are loads of them.

What a potentially lovely problem to have next year: Lance plus Weir plus Heathcote plus (hopefully) Jones.

I put forward that would be our best set-up, er, EVER?

That leaves Shilly to cover Full Back.

Happy with recruitment so far!

MSR-Worcester
MSR-Worcester (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 11:17
Agree with above. Very happy with this signing. Think the backline looks complete for next year. Slightly surprised it's only a 1 year deal. Would've thought we would want a player of Weir's calibre for longer.

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 11:23
Very pleased. Finally some quality at 10!! Just need another lock and a tighthead now!

Noticed it's only a 1 year deal though! Wonder what the reasons for that are

Blue&GoldWarrior
10 April, 2018 11:29
Guessing the 1 year deal could be due to his injury history or could be player driven if they don't want to hang around 'should the worst happen'. Either way would hope the club have some sort of activation clause to extended.

The squad is looking very good and Key players will be around all season or at least have top quality cover if they are injured or int call ups.

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 11:34
Agree shilly will cover full back, and imagine Heathcote may be released to give us three fly halfs with shillcock if necessary. Really good depth and id hate to be the one making the decision on who to leave out.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 11:38
Absolutely delighted with this recruitment. I had lowered my expectation of him coming in the hope I would not be disappointed if he didnt but delighted if he did come - FANTASTIC.

1 year is strange however I think if we get into European Champions Cup and relegation disappears it may well get extended.

Look at our potential match day backs

Pennell
Heem
Teo
Venter
Adams
Weir
Hougaard
Arr
Lance
Beck

Aint bad!

We also have Mills, Shilly, Butler, Dowsett, Baldwin, (Jones), Heaney, Heathcote, Howe, Hammond, van Breda, Humphries.

Backs are looking very good

JP

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 12:20
1 year is possibly down to the untried and tested element of Prem standard for Weir, as much as injury history.

Good news indeed. Welcome Duncan.

Offa
Offa (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 12:22
Really pleased with this. Two quality 10s, after years of hoping for one (Goodey aside). Like many on here I am greedy. Would like another big ball carrier. Then with our coaching changes we will be set.

GoofyWarrior
GoofyWarrior (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 13:40
Quote:
Faithful_City
Absolutely delighted with this recruitment. I had lowered my expectation of him coming in the hope I would not be disappointed if he didnt but delighted if he did come - FANTASTIC.
1 year is strange however I think if we get into European Champions Cup and relegation disappears it may well get extended.

Pennell
Heem
Teo
Venter
Adams
Weir
Hougaard
Arr
Lance
Beck

Aint bad!

We also have Mills, Shilly, Butler, Dowsett, Baldwin, (Jones), Heaney, Heathcote, Howe, Hammond, van Breda, Humphries.

JP

That's 22 backs all told. Surely some must be moving on ?...I wonder who.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 13:41
Every time I read the WEN someone at the club is either hinting there are more signings, or that everything is done and dusted. We'd obviously like another lock and prop of some description, however I believe we've replaced those leaving and added where we were lacking. All we need now is the right mental attitude to deliver on our potential. Looks like I'll be renewing the ST after all.

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 13:46
How many do we have now and who doesn't get played often?

Teme Dream
Teme Dream (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 13:49
One year as he is signing for Leicester for 2019/20 (Sm14)

Welcome Mr Weir!

Blue&GoldWarrior
10 April, 2018 13:50
Quote:
GoofyWarrior
Quote:
Faithful_City

Pennell
Heem
Teo
Venter
Adams
Weir
Hougaard
Arr
Lance
Beck

Aint bad!

JP

That's 22 backs all told. Surely some must be moving on ?...I wonder who.

We also have Wynand Olivier...Talk about squad rotation (Sm100)

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 14:13
I expect Dowsett and Heathcote to be moving on for instance. Teo still a 60/40, to stay, I think.

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 14:15
Welcome Duncan, looking forward to seeing you on the Sixways pitch.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 14:18
Unless I've missed something about Adams, I suspect we'll see him go too. Normally, I imagine he'd stay, but moving now would put him in the window for the world cup squad.

Howe and Hammond to take their opportunity.

Brummagem Bertie
10 April, 2018 14:27
Quote:
Underdog
Unless I've missed something about Adams, I suspect we'll see him go too. Normally, I imagine he'd stay, but moving now would put him in the window for the world cup squad.

He gave an interview about a week ago where he said the rumours linking him with an early move back to Wales were rubbish and he was staying put. He also said he was determined to win more caps, which is good news for us, because he will be hungry to do well in a Warriors shirt for the next 12 months.

Personally, I think only injury will stop him going on the Wales summer tour. I would expect Gatland to give a number of Lions players, like Halfpenny, North and Liam Williams a rest. Alex Cuthbert will no longer be available, so I think he has every chance, especially as he can cover 15 as well as wing.

Inbox
Inbox (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 14:29
Great stuff, with Lance and Weirs experience at 10 just boosts our prospects for next season.

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 14:58
Quote:
usa warrior
I expect Dowsett and Heathcote to be moving on for instance. Teo still a 60/40, to stay, I think.

Has Dowsett noteextended recently?

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 15:06
[quote Faithful_City]Absolutely delighted with this recruitment. I had lowered my expectation of him coming in the hope I would not be disappointed if he didnt but delighted if he did come - FANTASTIC.

JP were you ever in the diplomatic corps - nice try though [:wor kid:]

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 15:26
Cheers BB.

On leavers, I'm still not sure that Teo is staying. Next year, we'll have Venter, Mills, Olivier, Beck and Butler all there, with Lawrence in the academy. If I was the club, I wouldn't announce it until the very end of the season either given he's only just got back to us. I suppose it would have leaked if he was definitely off, but I wouldn't be surprised if he does go.

kiddykid
kiddykid (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 15:48
Really good new about Duncan Weir but I expect the one year contract is two sided....will he stay injury free and will we be relegated? However, for one year we are in half-back heaven! However, I sometimes wonder if Hougaard's ankle is as sound as we would all like the think.
Right across the backs division we are getting spoilt for choice but on the few glimpses of Dorian Jones I think he would be a good asset - but players want playing time.
Whichever way I look at itthere will be some departures still to be announced - but who? It is always a balance between promise and experience but if Teo were to play every week as he did in the second half against Falcons then I would keep him. But if he did go that is a huge salary saved (8.1m) loss last year or add a couple of players elsewhere. WE STILL NEED ANOTHER QUALITY LOCK but have a feeling that Andrew Kitchener is going to be promoted for next season, so perhaps he is the second new lock. Any thoughts?

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 16:15
Quote:
kiddykid
Really good new about Duncan Weir but I expect the one year contract is two sided....will he stay injury free and will we be relegated? However, for one year we are in half-back heaven! However, I sometimes wonder if Hougaard's ankle is as sound as we would all like the think.
Right across the backs division we are getting spoilt for choice but on the few glimpses of Dorian Jones I think he would be a good asset - but players want playing time.
Whichever way I look at itthere will be some departures still to be announced - but who? It is always a balance between promise and experience but if Teo were to play every week as he did in the second half against Falcons then I would keep him. But if he did go that is a huge salary saved (8.1m) loss last year or add a couple of players elsewhere. WE STILL NEED ANOTHER QUALITY LOCK but have a feeling that Andrew Kitchener is going to be promoted for next season, so perhaps he is the second new lock. Any thoughts?

Kitchener has been promoted for next year as has Will Butler

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 16:41
Quote:
kiddykid
Whichever way I look at it there will be some departures still to be announced - but who?
Is Perry Humphries' contract up?

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 16:42
Why get rid of Teo?

Venter and Teo pairing with Lance/Weir at 10 should be awesome 👏

With this backline I feel Teo will be immense.

JP

Brummagem Bertie
10 April, 2018 16:45
Quote:
Underdog
Cheers BB.

On leavers, I'm still not sure that Teo is staying.
Next year, we'll have Venter, Mills, Olivier, Beck and Butler all there, with Lawrence in the academy. If I was the club, I wouldn't announce it until the very end of the season either given he's only just got back to us. I suppose it would have leaked if he was definitely off, but I wouldn't be surprised if he does go.

Whoops!

I'd give up this predicting lark, if I were you! (Sm151)

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 16:49
Probably for the best, BB! I've just seen the link on the other thread.

Like several others, I'm looking at that list of backs and thinking that surely some of them won't be here next season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/2018 16:51 by Underdog.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 19:13
Quote:
Faithful_City
Why get rid of Teo?
Venter and Teo pairing with Lance/Weir at 10 should be awesome 👏

With this backline I feel Teo will be immense.

JP

I can see it being a Teo/Venter being our 12 and 13 pairing next season too. Competition and depth at centre now is unbelievable for next year!

Could see starting

9. Hougaard
10. Lance
11. Heem
12. Teo
13. Venter
14. Adams
15. Pennell

Rotate that to keep players fresh with

9. Baldwin/Arr
10. Weir
11. Hammond
12. Mills
13. Beck
14. Humphries
15. Van Breda

Thats two very very good backlines and not losing any strength or loss of quality...Im scared to be too optimistic for next season lol

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 19:27
No Shillcock, Dowsett, Heatcote or Howe either.

Worcester Way
Worcester Way (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 08:42
With those back line options are we entering the realms of being able to pick teams to suit the opposition? Mills and Venter at 12/13 to open the game up? Teo and Venter to go direct? Probably not but one can dream! Just need a big heavy nasty couple of forwards and Im happy.

On a side note Ive seen a bit of Beck for the Ospreys, good performer who I reckon will be good for us.

Blue&GoldWarrior
11 April, 2018 08:56
Weir seems to be getting a lot of praise from people in the know on Social media, saying what a clever signing he is for us. Top work from the club!!

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 09:44
Pleased Weir has finally signed, I spoke to a friend from Scotland who said good player but a bit slow for a 10 however if he puts the backs outside him into a bit of space that wont matter a bit.

kiddykid
kiddykid (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 10:09
In an interview with the South Wales Argus, Dorian Jones has confirmed his desire to join Warriors even though Duncan Weir has signed up. Given that DW is (currently) here for one season only does he see his chance in 2019/2o?
Our half back situation is like the 'two buses' joke.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 10:12
When Charlie Hodgson used to come to Sixways with Sarries he wasn't the quickest, but he is still to this day the best 10 I've ever seen. I'm not suggesting Duncan will be as good as Charlie, but if he is then I'll let him be the slowest 10 in history.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 10:17
Quote:
kiddykid
In an interview with the South Wales Argus, Dorian Jones has confirmed his desire to join Warriors even though Duncan Weir has signed up. Given that DW is (currently) here for one season only does he see his chance in 2019/2o?
Our half back situation is like the 'two buses' joke.

Given there is no academy 10 coming through that I'm aware of, would Jamie slot into the Cavaliers 10 jersey thus leaving Jonno, Duncan and Dorian to cover the Warriors 10 position. Given there will be injuries throughout the season, it might be we need this depth. I'm still unsure of Tom's long term future due to the injuries.

I do feel that someone will be left without a chair when the music stops, I have a feeling its between Tom and Dorian, both of which I have sympathy for.

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 10:28
Quote:
Fiver
When Charlie Hodgson used to come to Sixways with Sarries he wasn't the quickest, but he is still to this day the best 10 I've ever seen. I'm not suggesting Duncan will be as good as Charlie, but if he is then I'll let him be the slowest 10 in history.

Totally agree Goode was also fairly slow but a very good 10 what matters is the ability of the 10 to run the backline and put us in the right areas on the pitch.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 10:58
[www.worcesternews.co.uk]

Although I am guilty of landing on a few words in a newspaper interview, the omission of Tom Heathcote's name may be indicative:-

It is a key position and you need depth there, Solomons said.

Its absolutely critical so we are very fortunate as things stand.

We have got Jono and Duncan who are very experienced and Shilly who is a good young player so we will have quite a nice balance there.

Unlike some I don't see Shillcock as deputising for Pennell at 15, I think that role will go to van Breda.

What I do see is after being more or less thrown in the deep end at a young age Shillcock will benefit from a short period of time out of the limelight in which to "reboot", reassess and learn. There is also an element of "second season itus" but I am sure that he will, because of natural talent, reemerge far stronger in due course.

Meanwhile, there is I believe, given the attritional role of 10s a need for 4 of them at Sixways.

Whether that will include Heathcote, seemingly back on the road to full recovery, or Jones of whom we have seen comparatively little, will remain to be seen.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 11:17
In a separate another item Heathcote is shown to be on who's contract is up at the end of the season , along with Dowsett, Alo and Williams.
I would suspect that Tom may go if Dorian makes a good impression.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 15:28
Tom's big problem is the club's faith in his fitness. He wasn't the same after the Matthews incident and may never get his full form back. If you're in Solly's shoes, what do you do? I'm sure Solly knows a heck of a lot more than us and won't let sentiment get in the way. Top flight sport can be an unforgiving business.

I hope Tom is fully recovered, in an ideal world we get to keep everyone and they all get their chances to shine. However, this isn't the ideal world.

Brummagem Bertie
11 April, 2018 19:12
I think A38 makes a very good point about the lack of an up and coming 10 in the Academy.

I seem to remember that there is a full A league programme next season, to mirror the first team. That's a lot of additional fixtures in which we need 2 10s.

The chances of having all our 10s fit and raring to go in any one week, is virtually non-existent. It is such a specialised position that I think we will need 4, especially with 22 Prem games, more A league games, plus Euro and Anglo-Welsh cup matches. I think they will all still get plenty of game time, not least because having 4 will allow us to rest anyone who has a niggle, rather than risk aggravating a knock.

The question is who the 4th 10 will be. It could be Tom, Dorian, or, because of money and the need to tighten our belts, referred to by Bill Bolsover, using Ryan and/or Scott van Breda as cover.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 19:50
Not only that but we can finally begin to think about rotating players in order to minimise injury and burnout. Mills injury was almost inevitable with as much as hed played and the way he plays.

halfback09
halfback09 (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 21:58
The combination for me is:
10 weir
12 Teo
13 venter
22mills
23 olivier

lokicrichtonfan
lokicrichtonfan (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 08:36
Quote:
halfback09
The combination for me is:
10 weir
12 Teo
13 venter
22mills
23 olivier

Surely lance has to start he was class for us when he played

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 09:01
I think we'll certainly end up with a first choice set of backs but for me the best news about these signings is that we can rotate without a drop off in standard. We can do it to avoid injury or exhaustion and of course, for tactical reasons.

I think we've made big leaps with our backs, and they will be good enough to put points on most sides next season. I am still a bit concerned with the tight five in that I think our signings will see us at the same level of quality next year (AKA standing still in a league that never does). What we really need is for Kerrod, Gareth, Phillips and Kitchener to kick on and become premiership standard as soon as possible. Otherwise, a few injuries in the pack will negate our biggest strength - 10, 12, 13

Bevere Warrior
Bevere Warrior (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 09:12
Quote:
Underdog
I think we'll certainly end up with a first choice set of backs but for me the best news about these signings is that we can rotate without a drop off in standard. We can do it to avoid injury or exhaustion and of course, for tactical reasons.
I think we've made big leaps with our backs, and they will be good enough to put points on most sides next season. I am still a bit concerned with the tight five in that I think our signings will see us at the same level of quality next year (AKA standing still in a league that never does). What we really need is for Kerrod, Gareth, Phillips and Kitchener to kick on and become premiership standard as soon as possible. Otherwise, a few injuries in the pack will negate our biggest strength - 10, 12, 13

I agree that we need another couple of big ball carriers, most likely one more second row and one more blindside flanker.
As for the four names you mention I would suggest that Gareth already is premiership standard. He did struggle when he first arrived but Ive been nothing but impressed in recent times

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 10:01
Yes, perhaps I was being a bit harsh there as he does come off the bench and hold his own. I suppose I want to see him pushing Nick for the 3 shirt.

lokicrichtonfan
lokicrichtonfan (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 17:14
We take nick for granted because he is just so consistent. One of the best tight heads around. Would love to see him be a one club man and stay with Worcester

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net