rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

MESSAGES->author
A massive thanks are due,
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 11:47
To Greg Allen and the board for this huge investment in players. We may be losing money, lots of money but the owners are still prepared to invest and spend more on some really really good players for next season.

Greg Allen - Many, Many Thanks

JP

Old Col
Re: A massive thanks are due,
Old Col (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 11:54
Seconded.

bcukev
bcukev (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 12:04
Absolutely agree with this, I will now definitely be renewing my season tickets, which seemed doubtful at the turn of the year!

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 12:57
Same here.Massive thanks!

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

jonnyboywarrior
jonnyboywarrior (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 13:08
Agreed. Wasn't expecting this level of investment considering the financial position of the club.

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 13:41
Well said. It probably makes sense in that had the money not been poured in, we would have suffered on the pitch and then been sold for a much lower price.

Easy for me to say that when it's not my millions though.

Bushi
Bushi (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 13:45
Greg and the Board have consistently said, "they'd back the club until the right buyer/investor was found. I took him at his word, he/they have kept to their word. Thanks for the continued support. Hopefully the doubters will now get behind Greg and the Board now.

MESSAGES->author
Teme Dream (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 13:51
.... and also to Alan Solomons. He has attracted more talent to Sixways in 6 months than the alleged draw of Dean Ryan over 3 years.

jgmorgan100
The Mailman (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 13:52
Agreed. Thanks to all!

MESSAGES->author
Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 14:06
Quote:
Teme Dream
.... and also to Alan Solomons. He has attracted more talent to Sixways in 6 months than the alleged draw of Dean Ryan over 3 years.

And some said his appointment was lacklustre and showed a lack of ambition - or words to that effect! (Sm100)

(Sm159)

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

Inbox
Inbox (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 14:13
Great post.

And applaud the support and investment in the club made by the owners/investors.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 15:07
Agreed well done Greg Allen - as good as his word.

shrewsburyman
shrewsburyman (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 17:51
Totally agree and well done FC for starting this thread.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 19:32
Appreciative of the ongoing investment from the Allen’s.

As for Solly, yes he has appeared to attract players that he has coached elsewhere and helped steady the ship, hopefully for a safe Prem mooring ahead of next seasons voyage. But let’s not get to carried away given some of his previous tenures and a mixed record in the hot seat at Warriors.

Hopefully his wins will increase in the near future to consolidate his standing....imo.

Humps for 1 Mile
Humps for 1 Mile (IP Logged)
10 April, 2018 23:57
Thank you Greg Allen and the board.

Thank you Alan Solomons.

Another ST renewal here.

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 06:42
Well this from some is a complete turnaround in opionion

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 07:54
They’ll turn round again at some point....then back again

MESSAGES->author
11 April, 2018 08:19
Isn't that a good thing?

JP

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 09:04
Sticking with the same opinion on something regardless of information that is available or changes, would be plain silly, so why not a change of opinion in the face of latest developments?

Blue&GoldWarrior
Blue&GoldWarrior (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 09:05
Completely agree, Greg Allen deserves a lot of credit for the signings coming in as do the Coaching team (even maybe Rory Duncan) for selling the club to the new signings.

From Allens perspective, I wonder if he has realised the club will be more attractive to investors/buyers if they are higher up the table (Sm100)

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 09:48
Quote:
FlipFlop
Sticking with the same opinion on something regardless of information that is available or changes, would be plain silly, so why not a change of opinion in the face of latest developments?

Agreed but the vitriol aimed at the Allens earlier in the season was also plain silly as nobody had any information, even chairman Bill saying the Allens were committed to funding the club until it was sold did not stop it.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 10:00
From the outside it looked to me like Greg wanted to offload the club (which I believe is fact) and in the process not spend any money, a bit like when you want to sell a house you only fix the bits that absolutely need fixing.

However, in the process of minimal spending we tumbled down the table, heavily affecting the value of the club. As such, I think this is why we're now seeing players brought in mid-season and some really good signings for next season. The real positive is that the mistakes made by the club have been corrected and learnt from. This could easily have gone the other way.

Just my opinion, it might always have been the plan to get these players but got delayed.
Although if it was the plan then I think there are two players that might have stayed instead of leaving for Tigers.

MESSAGES->author
Teme Dream (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 10:51
Quote:
PE
Quote:
Teme Dream

And some said his appointment was lacklustre and showed a lack of ambition - or words to that effect! (Sm100)

That may well have been me! Thanks, apologies and trebles all round (Sm128)

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 11:21
Fiver,

I agree with you summary of the matters that probably contributed to the ire directed at the Owners.

In the absence of recruitment announcements, combined with details of some of the potential purchasers allegedly interested in buying the club, it all seemed like a fire sale irregardless of statements being made to the contrary.

With the new coaching set up, new players etc, it looks a bit more joined up with the corporate message that was being presented at the time.

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 14:26
I just had a feeling prior to JOT's departure that there had been an unhealthy amount of "Empire building " to the point where a very expensive tail had begun to wag an underfunded dog.

Bolsover in the wuss News

“Our commercial performance for the 2017-18 financial year will be far stronger than it was in the previous year and the financial support needed from our shareholders will decrease by around 50 per cent, which illustrates that we are making significant improvements financially.”

Warriors have also seen a number of key members of staff leave in recent months with finance director Kirsty Fisher handing in her notice.

General manager Ryan Bezuidenhout has departed while conference and events manager Jen Barry has left for a position at Premier League side Stoke City and head of marketing Charlie Lincoln has moved to Bristol Sport.

Three business development managers have also handed in their notices in the past eight months, with one of them doing it this week."

Superted1
Superted1 (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 16:46
Also saw that article I think I remember Edward Griffiths saying at some point that with just a few hours of work the loss could be cut quite quickly to about half a million a year, I thought at the time it was just a dig at Greg Allen for not selling to him but maybe during his time at the club he did alot of digging and turned up a number of ways to improve its efficiency. Also the fact that the Allens decided to sell focused the their minds on the club to the extent that things were changed. No idea if either of these are true but certainly changes have been made off the field in the last 12 months

Sheldon
Sheldon (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 19:37
I must say I thought it would probably all go horribly wrong especially when we had lost 7 on the trot, Gary Gold was leaving and the sale of the club was going slowly and deadlines were being missed.

However provided we hang on this year , get another quality second row and maybe replace Potgeiter and a few other bits and pieces then we may well go into next year with our strongest ever squad . I really was not expecting that so I have to say thank you to Greg and the family for all the support!

kiddykid
kiddykid (IP Logged)
11 April, 2018 21:22
Yes, agree with all of the above. Will definitely be renewing my season ticket. Another lock would be great but suspect that Kitch is being prepped for next season. I wonder if his big brother might want to come home?

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 10:23
Considering the recruitment of other clubs, we do seem to be buying in an awful lot of players. We'll have a new XV soon enough. Does this point to a period of under-development coming back to bite? I'm sure the sale price will go up by more than the extra investment if we're comfortably mid-table.

MESSAGES->author
12 April, 2018 11:04
We HAVE to make sure we ae not relegated next season or we could be in the wilderness for 5 seasons after that. Would we survive that?

Therefore investment now may well save the club.

JP

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 11:20
We released 18 and brought in seven last season. Even with promotions from the academy our squad was far too small to be effective before Christmas.

I think Greg Allen has now been listening to someone with a Rugby brain rather than a bean counter.

A competitive side will create a far more saleable product and subsequent decent cash return rather than the asset-stripping fire sale we appeared to be heading towards last year.

kiddykid
kiddykid (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 12:09
Actually, time has proved that almost everything Bill Bolsolver and Gus O'Donnell told us about a year ago - and since - has come to bear, especially the Allen's family insistence that they would not cut and run. They also have maintained that they would not sell to anyone who wants to move away from Sxways or who would not continue to invest in the Club.

A part of me still thinks that pending our continuing in the Premiership we I'll soon get to know our new owners, but when you see what is happening around the Prem.....Saints in disarray, Sarries also seeking new investment, the Falcons looking for the SRU's investments, Gloucester being refused permission to sell to the Frogs, Quins sacking their DOR, etc........perhaps we ar not so badly off as we sometimes may think. The grass is not always greener............

As each week goes by I am thinking that next season will see us doing much much better because Brizzle will be on a steep learning curve, Quins will have a whole new coaching set up, and the Saints DOR will also have to recruit in the back room staff. By comparison, we are almost in a settled environment!! Who would have thought that!?

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 14:04
Quote:
kiddykid
A part of me still thinks that pending our continuing in the Premiership we I'll soon get to know our new owners, but when you see what is happening around the Prem.....Saints in disarray, Sarries also seeking new investment, the Falcons looking for the SRU's investments, Gloucester being refused permission to sell to the Frogs, Quins sacking their DOR, etc........perhaps we ar not so badly off as we sometimes may think. The grass is not always greener............
As each week goes by I am thinking that next season will see us doing much much better because Brizzle will be on a steep learning curve, Quins will have a whole new coaching set up, and the Saints DOR will also have to recruit in the back room staff. By comparison, we are almost in a settled environment!! Who would have thought that!?

On the other hand, Falcons search for new investment hasn't seemed to affect their pursuit of Champions Cup rugby too much, Sarries look like still securing a home semi in the playoffs, and Glaws still have a shot at Champions Cup qualification. Glaws and Falcons are also playing each other in a Challenge Cup semi, so one of them is going to be in the final.

As for next season, Saints have recruited their coaching set up for next season and we will have a new set up to bed in, just like them and Quins, so we are hardly settled.

As for next season

Whatever you do, do it safely!

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
12 April, 2018 14:31
"We released 18 and brought in seven last season. Even with promotions from the academy our squad was far too small to be effective before Christmas.

I think Greg Allen has now been listening to someone with a Rugby brain rather than a bean counter."

IIRC, we had the second biggest squad of any team in the Prem, bar Briz. This points to lack of quality depth given last seasons outcome, rather than anything the subsequent net negative recruitment being a bean counting matter.

As for the bean counter holding sway at Sixways, take a look at the multi million pound losses that have occurred well before and since Greg and family pitched up, and it is clear than no bean counter was being listened to in the running of the club. If any truth in BB's WEN article this week, commercial income improvement has occurred this year and not before time. I guess next years numbers may give a clue as to where and how this has materialised. It helps make the purchasing proposition of a Rugby team more appealing. Let's hope that's not down to Tesco-esque number crunching techniques for the purpose of the sale!

If Greg's listened to a rugby brain, who's is it, as your suggestion is that none has been listed to for a long while including GG, which would be surprising.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net