rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

jaytee
Chris Pennell
jaytee (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 15:31
Whatever happens tomorrow (hopefully positive results!), our final home game will be 200th appearance for Chris. Hopefully he comes through unscathed this weekend in time for the Quins game, as we were unable to celebrate JA’s 200th at home!

nottinghamwarrior
Re: Chris Pennell
nottinghamwarrior (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 15:45
For me Chris has to go down as our best ever player with the caveat that I only started supporting the club in 2003.

What do other people think? Delport is certainly up there. I didn't get to see a lot of Windo but understand he is also a legendary figure.

Well done Chris!

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 15:48
Craig Gillies will be up there as well.

Oops,

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 16:46
Certainly one of our most, along with Arr, loyal players.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 13/04/2018 16:46 by Abmatt.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 17:04
Chris has to be one of the best as he is Premiership standard. Craig was very good, but not really Premiership quality. Any player put up as "one of our best" must surely have proved himself over a number of years at the top level.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 17:27
Disagree. This is surely about contribution to Worcester?

Or would you say Dylan Hartley, briefly with us years ago, would qualify given his subsequent rise to international level. I wouldn’t.

Not what I thought jaytee had in mind.

neale harvey
Neale Harvey (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 17:33
Loki Chrichton, surely?

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 18:05
Quote:
Neale Harvey
Loki Chrichton, surely?

What, before he joined?

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 18:35
CG in our formative years in the Prem was top drawer when Locks did what Locks needed to do in the game. We had Lineout stats our current crop would admire.

Agree with Abmatt re CP and AR. Both could have challenged CG caps and both are worthy of praise and recognition. Hope he gets to have his moment and the result is better than for Jonny’s 200th.

Top man Chris. His Dad would be might proud. One of ours.

MESSAGES->author
Teme Dream (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 18:45
For me Mike Maguire will always go down as a Worcester legend - though possibly not for the same reasons as Chris Pennell.

jaytee
jaytee (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 19:22
Not quite sure about your comment TT? But having followed Worcester over many years, I just feel proud to have been a part of Chris Pennell’s loyalty to us. He has been a true Warrior whether that nickname is liked or not!

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 19:42
Not sure Arr is overly loyal as he probably hasnt had many other offers on the table. When people say Ryan Giggs was loyal - he wasn't really as he had reached the pinnacle. Matt Le Tissier was loyal as he played in an average Southampton side, turning down numerous offers to go elsewhere. Chris Pennell has almost certainly recieved offers to play at other clubs, and for a period could have moved and played at a better club. He didn't and for that reason he is loyalty personified.

As for our best ever player? Not sure.... he'd be up there don't get me wrong but Gillies edges it for me. Nick Baxter, albeit playing in different leagues at a worse standard would also probably have to be considered. In terms of impact he scored a ridiculous number of tries.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 20:59
[quote jaytee]Not quite sure about your comment TT? But having followed Worcester over many years, I just feel proud to have been a part of Chris Pennell’s loyalty to us. He has been a true Warrior whether that nickname is liked or not![/quote

I was disagreeing with Pat’s hypothesis that players needed to be clearly of premiership quality to be considered Worcester’s “best ever” player as the thread developed.

I totallly agree Chris is probably, along with Jonny Arr, our most loyal, and and a hugely influential player. But “best” is not quite the same. For me Craig was most certainly a premiership level lock, his lineout work was exceptional, and if his open field play didn’t quite reach the pinnacle of his line outs that doesn’t detract overall.

At his peak, for several seasons, he was 100% reliable in his position. Few before or since have equalled that.

Big T 15
Big T 15 (IP Logged)
13 April, 2018 23:44
Best player ability wise we’ve had - Hougaard when on form.

Best long term/loyal player - Pennell

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 06:51
Werner Swanepoel was pretty good. Probably the best scrum half we have ever had.

JP

Big T 15
Big T 15 (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 07:03
I loved Smiler, and he was great at the time, but better than Hougaard on ability? No chance.

MESSAGES->author
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 07:22
Old school wise Neil Lyman he was at the attritanal end so his body lasted less.

Windo Lyman Arr Pennell and Jake Abbott Gillies

p1umb
p1umb (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 08:25
Neil Lyman

MESSAGES->author
14 April, 2018 09:48
Dale Rasmussen Kai Horsman

MESSAGES->author
14 April, 2018 09:50
Bruce Fenley

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 10:40
Quote:
knightstemplar
Kai Horsman?
Is he the love child of Kai Horstmann and Chris Horsman? (Remember him?) (Sm14)

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 10:42
Thomas Lombard
Ben Hinshelwood

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

hairyicecream
wusstawizard (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 12:19
Latham was surely our best ever player in terms of his whole career? Australia's 2nd-highest try scorer of all time, and one of the greatest fullbacks of all time.

nottinghamwarrior
nottinghamwarrior (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 12:33
Clearly Latham and Hougaard are two of the most talented players to have played for the club. The reason I picked Chris though was due to a combination of both talent and service. He's been playing at a consistently good level for us for almost 10 years now and has been one of the best full backs playing in England for some of that time. All subjective of course though!

MESSAGES->author
14 April, 2018 12:47
Quote:
w4rriorz1980
Quote:
knightstemplar
Kai Horsman?
Is he the love child of Kai Horstmann and Chris Horsman? (Remember him?) (Sm14)

That's the one!

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 17:30
Tough day at the office for Chris today. Uber reliable under the ball, as ever, but pace was found out today on a couple of occasions.

Hardly the only one though.

lokicrichtonfan
lokicrichtonfan (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 18:28
Quote:
Neale Harvey
Loki Chrichton, surely?

Great shout liked him myself as it goes

Hallowed Warrior
Hallowed Warrior (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 19:10
Quote:
usa warrior
Tough day at the office for Chris today. Uber reliable under the ball, as ever, but pace was found out today on a couple of occasions.
Hardly the only one though.

Especially tough for Chris when he was speared into the ground having been lifted in a tackle by Willis. He was a lucky boy only to get a yellow card.

Wasps opening try came from us mucking up a line-out in their half - agree Wade should have been better marked but our line out cost us on a number of occasions today when we had good field position.

Turv032
Turv032 (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 22:42
Well so many great names being suggested. But for me a hooker from Argentina is at the top of my list take a bow Mr. Creevy

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 22:52
Delport
Big Dave ( who i saw few month back in the East Stand)

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/04/2018 22:53 by w4rriorz1980.

MESSAGES->author
15 April, 2018 08:25
Drew Hickey

Humps for 1 Mile
Humps for 1 Mile (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 08:45
Big Dave

Chris Latham

Pat Sanderson

Gus Creevy

Chris Pennell

Craig Gillies

DOC

There are many others but that list is not bad at all and the foundation of a pretty damned good team!

jaytee
jaytee (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 16:37
There are others that could get into the list
Drahm
Deplort
Benjamin

Et al.
But the whole point of this post was to acknowledge how fantastic a servant he has been to Worcester, whilst not trying to compare with shorter serving, although great players.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net