rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

usa warrior
DOC
usa warrior (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 18:04
The legend is retiring. Quins is his final game.

[www.thetimes.co.uk]

FlipFlop
Re: DOC
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 18:50
Shame The Times beat the club to this announcement.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 19:30
I do hope that DOC is selected, but we have a game to win.

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 22:26
Nice if I could read it. Sound like a bit of pressure to select him or he's been told he will start or be on the bench? Not sure which?

Latecomer
Latecomer (IP Logged)
14 April, 2018 22:26
Quote:
FlipFlop
Shame The Times beat the club to this announcement.

Bejesus Flippy, perhaps this is how DO'C WANTED to announce it (ie. to the wider world). Give the club a break.

fozzie66
fozzie66 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 06:16
Think everyone needs to brush up on the words to Fields of Athenry.......

Offa
Offa (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 06:25
I have no qualms about DOC being selected, and would assume it to be due to ability not sentiment. I think we have an awful lot to be grateful to DOC for. His attitude is second to none (he still charges at every conversion). I have no info on this, but I suspect he was instrumental in keeping the team on track during very turbulent times. I think he has been an incredibly important senior player for us.

He is a true rugby legend, and I am really grateful that our youngsters have had him to look up to. He has been here to add value, not to pick up a pension. A gentleman too.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 06:36
Latecomer, i’d guess I might ask why he chose to do it this way. Knarked by the club in some way?

He’s a top bloke and career wise has been here 5 minutes but just felt a brief statement to club fans perhaps married to his Times announcement would have been better.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 08:27
I'm not bothered either way how it's come out.I can see both sides of it but it doesn't detract from what great service he has given us.
If any of you are that bothered ask DOC about it @ "meet the players evening."

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

OverTheBoarder
OverTheBorder (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 09:28
DOC deserves the wider audience, with both club and international achievements being celebrated across the global rugby community.

We shouldn’t be be hung up on minor points on how and why.....”Don’t sweat the small stuff” as they say.

Cheers DOC!

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 11:09
Hasn't he written things for The Times before? Seems that may be his preference and choice and I would imagine he had the club's blessing to do it.

I really do hope he starts at Quins! For me he is still more effective and useful than Darren Barry.

Absolute rugby legend who deserves a great send off from us at 6ways in 2 weeks.

Latecomer
Latecomer (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 14:59
Quote:
FlipFlop
Latecomer, i’d guess I might ask why he chose to do it this way. Knarked by the club in some way?
He’s a top bloke and career wise has been here 5 minutes but just felt a brief statement to club fans perhaps married to his Times announcement would have been better.

Sorry Flippy, took your comments as a bit of a dig at the club, apologies if that was not the case.
I do get a little weary of some posters on here (and other social media platforms) being hyper critical of the club without knowing both sides of the story.
There doesn't have to be a sinister reason for the way things come out.

For me, I don't really care how I hear the news, probably prefer to hear confirmation of retirement from the great man himself.
As long as he retires on good terms with the club and gets a chance in the 23 against Quins, that'll do for me..

jaytee
jaytee (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 16:31
Ake1985. Your comments are nearest the truth. DOC came here in the latter years of a fantastic career. He has served us well and deserves a great send off and lots of respect.
Why do some posters always look for negatives. He has been writing a Times column for some time now.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 18:10
It’s no biggie, but just another little thing done less than well by club management. They will have known he’s off, they know he writes the column, it wouldn’t have taken much of a conversation to decide when the news was to be released, and I have sympathy with those who feel it would have been better announced by the club first.

If only to make supporters feel that the club is right on top of issues.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 18:16
Will they? AS even mentioned in his post-match that DOC was fit and training.

I have a feeling it took them by surprise as, quite right, they would have had something prepared otherwise.

jaytee
jaytee (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 18:27
Sorry USA but I think that’s tosh. If you’re correct, then that would be an internal disciplinary matter. Which would mean, no appearance on his final day! I don’t think that is likely to happen or that anyone at Worcester would really want that...

Ake1985
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 18:44
I would like to think that the club had enough respect for DOC and his career to allow him to announce his retirement in whichever way he felt best for him. I hope they would have had a conversation and given DOC the go ahead

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 18:49
For my part, given the man that DOC is, I'd be very surprised if he hadn't told the club of his decision before it was announced and agreed the method with them.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 18:52
Quote:
jaytee
Sorry USA but I think that’s tosh. If you’re correct, then that would be an internal disciplinary matter. Which would mean, no appearance on his final day! I don’t think that is likely to happen or that anyone at Worcester would really want that...

It might well be tosh! I wouldn’t like to put a figure to my non-tosh spewings tbh... I’m sure you wouldn’t either.

Fail to see how it would be disciplinary however?

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 19:37
The Times article is well worth reading (you can see it here although you'll need to register, which is free).

No question of anybody being at fault. The man is a legend, and I can honestly say that I knew the very first time he played for Ireland that I was watching someone special.

jonesy
jonesy (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 21:33
DOC has been superb for us and very sad to see him finally hang up his boots.
Great article and a fantastic nod in it to our future:

"Ted Hill ran through me in training recently when I wasn’t properly set for the collision. I’ve never been walloped so hard in all my days. I wasn’t concussed, I know what that feels like unfortunately, but when I took my gum-shield out I expected to see four teeth come with it. Somehow they’d remained rooted to my jaw, though I can’t feel a couple of them still. The bone under my eye is also more than a little numb. If I touch it, I can feel it with my finger, but not on my face. The most sickening aspect of this is that Ted is 19. He was born in 1999! I was 21, having played Heineken Cup rugby for Munster.

It would be neat to say that this was the future colliding with the past, but I’m not convinced. Ted is a super young player who I believe could become a Lion, and it was a hell of a hit, but I’m fine. "

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 21:41
Why Harlequins and Northampton game at end of season? Can't quite work it out? Last home game - we will secure league status - DOC is convinced of it with a Sarries win expected next week?

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 08:23
DOC says that two AP clubs were interested in talking to him. I wonder who they were?

It may be that The Times wanted an " exclusive " so lets give the club the benefit of the doubt. I have my own views.

kiddykid
kiddykid (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 14:25
Ake 1985 - spot on! Given what he has added to this Club, and reading many many reports as to what a gentleman he is I cannot see that he would do anything to the Club other than playing it by the book.
We should send him off in the style that is befitting of him as a man and of our Club.
Whatever he chooses to do form here on in then I wish him all the best.

Brummagem Bertie
17 April, 2018 16:00
T'offy announcement.

Some nice words from Solly.

MESSAGES->author
drifter (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 18:31
no matter what. Doc should at least be on the bench for Quins as a mark of respect to him and the fans that want to see him at home for the last time.

MESSAGES->author
Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 06:45
Was told by GJ last night DoC will be playing..

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 07:05
How could they not!!

Brummagem Bertie
18 April, 2018 16:21
If he starts I would expect he will be subbed just after half-time so that every man, woman and child who's able to may get to their feet and applaud him off the pitch.

Hope we have a big crowd to do justice to the big man.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 19:42
Agreed B.B., although I think he may be given a final opportunity to lead out the team whether he starts or not, with the appropriate delay before the remaining 14 run out. My only hope is that the event doesn’t get to him and lead to a red mist event. To sign off with a try would be a real collectors item.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net