rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

usa warrior
Bristol Bears?
usa warrior (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 18:49
Allegedly rebranding. And some of you think “Warriors” is bad!! 😂

Brummagem Bertie
Re: Bristol Bears?
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 18:51
Is Bristol twinned with Chicago?

Whatever you do, do it safely!

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 19:14
I think I might have seen a show years ago called - oh no, wait a minute, it might have been bristols bare...

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 19:20
Berlin...

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 19:26
Bristol Bears is no better or worse than Worcester Warriors - just another gimmick based on nothing but alliteration. Pretty lazy marketinG IMO.

MESSAGES->author
shendy (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 19:34
Better than the Bristol Shoguns that they were several years ago, sponsored by Mitsubishi.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 19:44
By that logic are they being sponsored by Barny Bear cakes?

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 20:01
Further to this there’s a rumour that Glaws may become the Lions. Allusions that these “brands” will accompany the new American sponsors.

May be rubbish, or not!!

WorcesterSauce
15 April, 2018 20:13
Cant imagine it going down well in Gloucester.... just why is there the need? We shouldnt be promoting the americanisation of the sport, unless we want advert.... sorry commercial breaks at scrum time and fans more interested in going to the game for the food.

Big T 15
Big T 15 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 20:37
Oh dear. Agree with WS, nothing more than lazy marketing - basing an entire identity on alliteration.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 20:41
Clash of branding in the offing with Birmingham Bears aka Warwickshire CCC if it happens.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 20:43
This way lies - well, I won't use the word; let's just say it begins with "F" and ends with "ranchise"

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 20:45
Hence the assumption that this could be part of the new sponsorship deal! Selling rugby in the states, for instance, will require something more than a city name.

WorcesterSauce
15 April, 2018 20:48
Manchester United haven't done too badly.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 20:49
I’m not defending it, but I suspect that could well be the driver. Not sure you’re comparing the same thing either. They’re a much bigger entity than WW.

IF this is true.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 21:41

WorcesterSauce
15 April, 2018 21:41
During the 90s they were no bigger than any other clubs but the premier league has excelled into the stratosphere in terms of its outreach.... yep - i know that you're not defending it, my point really was not having silly gimmicky nicknames doesnt seem to have stood in the way of the football premier league selling itself worldwide and actually their conservation of clubs heritage has probably helped.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 21:44
Aren’t Man United known as the “Red Devils”??

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 21:47
Does appear the name is taken however!! NSFW

[www.bristolbears.co.uk]

WorcesterSauce
15 April, 2018 21:50
Yes, all football teams have nicknames (as all rugby teams do).... difference is in football they are nicknames and the remain as that. There is no way Manchester United will ever change their name to the Manchester Red Devils.... just wouldnt happen.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
15 April, 2018 22:02
The point is they don’t need to. Maybe it’s deemed that rugby teams do? Or it’s a clause within the new sponsorship deal.

Certainly don’t have the same profile in the US as the top football teams.

WorcesterSauce
15 April, 2018 22:16
I agree - but football teams once didnt have any profile either and they have built it up to extraordinary levels without the need for silly gimmicky names.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 06:23
Yep, we'll see what happens. All could still be complete farce but seems to be gathering pace.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 07:45
There is no place called Manchester United, and in fact this isn't their original name. Vicotrian benefactor bought the club when it was on its knees and one of the first things he did was change the strip colours to the now famous Red. Not sure if this was to wind Liverpool up or to differentiate from the club representing Manchester City.

I've no issue with nicknames or keeping original names. Sale may have an issue as there is a Sale RFU in Nat Div 2 North who could be in Nat D1v 1 soon, which is perhaps another issue for clubs who have semi pro and pro sides in a similar vicinity.

It is likely to go this way, and opens up all of the old discussions and i wouldn't care less if Briz are called the Bristol Bandits, Bristol Bears or Bristol.

MESSAGES->author
Teme Dream (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 07:50
There's a pub in Birmingham called the The Bristol Pear.

Bristol Pears Rugby - now that would be the ultimate irony for some on this board (Sm14)

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 09:27
Have driven past it many times. Just consulted various reviews for sake of interest.

Will continue to drive past it.

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 11:23
Keep driving Ted. Very much a student pub.

MESSAGES->author
Butthead (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 12:12
They seem to have prematurely outed themselves after being outed by rumours.
Closet egress

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 12:22
Thanks Butthead, that has really cheered me up. Some hilarious Tweets.

hairyicecream
wusstawizard (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 12:22
Opportune moment for us to bring back the three pears? "I would rather be a Pear than a Bear" etc etc

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 12:47
Quote:
Southstand(again)
Keep driving Ted. Very much a student pub.

Oh yes..... I remember it well

Which means I was doing it wrong

MESSAGES->author
Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 13:16
Can't see how they are going mange having black away kit.. Wasps/Chiefs/Saracens???

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Da4lUBEWkAAX2NR.jpg:large

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

Brummagem Bertie
16 April, 2018 13:17
New strips too.

Quote:
Butthead
Closet egress

If you look at the club website, it doesn't look premature. They've got the new shirt designs up and even a brochure explaining the rebranding. Looks pretty full on.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 13:22
Any idea yet of our kits for next season? What would people like?

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

MESSAGES->author
16 April, 2018 13:28

Groucho
Groucho (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 13:34
So not a late April fool then?

Worcester Way
Worcester Way (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 13:36
Firstly, as a relatively recent alumni of UOB I can attest the Bristol Pear is the finest pub in Selly Oak. Well Worth a visit if Ales your thing....

Secondly I quite like Bristol’s rebranding. Yes it’s alliteration like Sale Sharks, Worcester Warriors etc but I think the clarity of message from the club about the rebrand and the reasons for it are excellent. The
Way Rugby in England went pro was messy to say the least, and given that Exeter are the only club spinning a profit, trying a new brand can’t be a bad thing?

I appreciate the warriors brand has hardly turned us into commercial behemoths but I reckon the Bristol Bears is worth a crack.

Brummagem Bertie
16 April, 2018 13:40
Quote:
Worcester Way
Firstly, as a relatively recent alumni of UOB I can attest the Bristol Pear is the finest pub in Selly Oak.

Talk about damning with faint praise! (Sm100)

MESSAGES->author
16 April, 2018 13:49
The Brizzies are in two minds..Some likers, some haters some not bothered. Bit like our own re-brand debate..

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2018 14:33 by Powick Eastander.

WorcesterSauce
16 April, 2018 14:19
From what ive seen vast majority seem to be non- likers

geoffs81
geoffs81 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 14:22
On the basis that bears hibernate through the winter, Bristol rebranding as such as to be in Worcester's best interests? (Sm100)

MESSAGES->author
Butthead (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 14:22
Quote:
Brummagem Bertie
New strips too.
Quote:
Butthead
Closet egress

If you look at the club website, it doesn't look premature. They've got the new shirt designs up and even a brochure explaining the rebranding. Looks pretty full on.

It was the date at the end of the video on Twitter of 01.06.2018 that made me think they'd put this out earlier than planned. Why launch now to say we'll be called this from June?

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:05
Quote:
Butthead
Why launch now to say we'll be called this from June?

Because that's the date on which the change will take place.

Sale Sharks, Worcester Warriors, Bristol Bears; what will Wasps become? Any alliterative suggestions?

(There doesn't seem to be an emoji for the one I had in mind..)

Brummagem Bertie
16 April, 2018 15:14
Lots of sympathy on Shedweb ...

Warr-i-ors!
Warr-i-ors! (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:26
I genuinely thought this was a wind up. It sounds utterly ridiculous.

MESSAGES->author
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:37
Better than Beavers I guess?!

Simba
Simba (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:39
Nothing better than a beaver

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:51
Quote:
Simba

Careful!

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 15:59
Some hilarious reading on Briz and Shedweb.

One Brizzler wants folk to turn up with teddy bears at the first home game and chuck them on the pitch in protest, and someone on shedweb wants the Gloucester “Lions” supporters to sing wimoweh, because he thinks the lyrics say
“The lions leap tonight”....which they don’t.

Best reading for a long while.

Maybe I’ll start a movement suggesting we take along eggs and chuck them at Bradders!!

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 16:09
Quote:
Simba

Years ago I lived near Basingstoke and used to go to watch the ice hockey. At the time the team were sponsored by hair care people Wella and were called the Basingstoke Wella Beavers. Given most of their players were American and Canadian, it didn't take too long for the name to get changed. Apparently recruitment was an issue.

Brummagem Bertie
16 April, 2018 16:50
Quote:
TeflonTed
Some hilarious reading on Briz and Shedweb.
... someone on shedweb wants the Gloucester “Lions” supporters to sing wimoweh, because he thinks the lyrics say
“The lions leap tonight”....which they don’t.

Someone else on Shedweb pointed out that the chorus sounded rather like winaway, which was hardly appropriate given their away form!

MESSAGES->author
16 April, 2018 16:57
So the new Sponsors with Lions and Bears want everything furry?!

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 17:04
Do remember folks, that those who say re-branding won’t happen here, now have 2 re-brandings to watch, and will remember that London Waps de-branded a couple of seasons ago.

I wonder who’s next?

MESSAGES->author
16 April, 2018 17:14

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 18:56
Haven’t we already re-branded TT?

MESSAGES->author
16 April, 2018 19:12
And Exeter Athletic

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 19:25
Quote:
FlipFlop
Haven’t we already re-branded TT?

Yes, but how long ago ? , and it’s gone really well since hasn’t it?

Perennial bottom feeders with reducing attendance, what a huge sporting success we have been. The brand is seen in the light of its success.

Toxic may be a bit strong, but it isn’t going so terribly well is it?

If I was buying it I’d be re-branding for sure.

WorcesterSauce
16 April, 2018 19:37
Edward Griffiths, who knows far more ahout running a successful rugby club than any of us said that the Warriors brand has essentially failed.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 20:37
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
Edward Griffiths, who knows far more ahout running a successful rugby club than any of us said that the Warriors brand has essentially failed.

Well put, and he may well know more about running a rugby club, but clearly also knows a thing or two about marketing as well.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 20:56
Not to be and EG threads have been done to death but I'd still have him as our new owner.

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 21:41
You said re- branding. What you really meant was to re brand the re branding by going back to yesterday and before via retro.

I ain’t opening another 3P debate here but linking club fortunes on the pitch to any badge or logo is clearly tenuous otherwise we’d have changed 20 times in the past 20 years to turn ourselves into Barnet or Exeter success story.

WorcesterSauce
16 April, 2018 21:48
I agree FF, the club should rebrand for reasons not linked with the success or otherwise of the team. This makes Bristol's rebranding all the more stranger, as Lansdowne seems to suggest this rebranding is avway to push on on the pitch

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
16 April, 2018 22:48
Anyone who thinks branding is in anyway connected with driving on-the-pitch performance is just plain misguided.

Branding is aimed at maximising commercial performance in all revenue streams, success on the pitch helps, failure doesn’t.

To that extent they’re linked, but results support branding, branding doesn’t drive performance.

yellow450
Yeller (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 05:55
On the subject of Warriors as a brand, I am not fussed either way. However, there are a couple of generations already following the team/club that don't know any different to being Warriors - this number will increase with time. Meanwhile, a few of the old guard have died or become ever closer to doing so. This means that eventually, if not now, there would be a potential outcry if the Warriors name was dropped due to the numbers that are familiar against the numbers that are not in favour.

MESSAGES->author
17 April, 2018 07:21
Warriors as a sporting team hasnt had any significant success relegated a couple of times and constantly trying to avoid relegation.

I'd rebrand without a second thought. Start a fresh Warriors and Cecils dream have passed (unless he's still Allens get out if no buyer is found)

New stronger squad, new ambitions,fresh start if I was the owner.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 08:10
TT, what happens if we stick with the current brand and finish top 6 in the next 3 seasons? Does the brand become good because commercially we sell out each game, merchandise is out of stock and you can't get a ticket for 15 coaches of away support?

Nope, folk will still be indifferent to it.

Change it to a simple interlocked WW? Nope, folk will be indifferent to it, as from the many recyclings of comment on the topic, there are many that like change per se, linked with the club- name change, playing on Fridays, Prem league name, refs in Yellow, Double headers, annual club shirt change, badge change as a few examples.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 17:40
I don’t disagree Flippy. Even success on the pitch wouldn’t turn Warriors or the space egg into a strong brand, although there would be more credibility.

Change for the sake of change usually doesn’t work, particularly if the “new” is as feeble as the simple alliterative WW and the meaningless space egg. It was poor marketing, and has run its course.

Some would like to see a return to the historic and locally connected 3Pears in some form or other, some think that’s history and something new is needed.

All through this debate though, there are very few who positively support the egg, there are far more who don’t think it matters at all and results are all that counts.

You can be sure that new owners will be considering the isssue closely.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 20:44
TT,

IIRC, it was expected / hoped that The Allen’s and JOT would address this issue, but we remain as t’was.

I guess we’ll have to see.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
17 April, 2018 22:48
I'm firmly in the camp of not really caring what our logo is, unless it's a picture of someone's private parts. I'd be unhappy with that.

MESSAGES->author
18 April, 2018 04:45
Bristol Cities?!

Southstand(again)
18 April, 2018 06:29
I think one of the original reasons for the "Warriors" branding was to take the accent away from the "Worcester" identity of the Rugby team as we looked to grow our support base throughout the county and along the M5 corridor.

When we were first promoted we had been averaging around 3K+ crowds and were hoping to double this. We exceeded our expectations and the 9700 capacity became the norm.

Given the "Cool" response on here by some to any link to our past or reconnection with the City of worcester "Pears" I assume that our fanbase is still geographically diverse.

My problem with any Spartan or Viking reference has always been the lack of any link with the area.

As someone who is proud of my Worcester origins I can quite happily extend this pride to the County I live in. Both my Grandads fought at Gallipoli with the the Worcestershire 4th Battalion and were wounded within minutes of each other ( As was my uncle - but we don't talk about him as he was with the South Wales borderers)

If we were going to be Warriors surely these were the ones we should have been referencing ?
I would have been far happier with a Lion rather than some obscure Greek helmet on the shirt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/04/2018 06:46 by Southstand(again).

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 08:03
Two points about the WW logo:-

- When it is changed after another 10 years, there will be a campaign for its retention.

- The Club made a mistake by not explaining at the time loudly enough what the logo was meant to represent. Hence all the comments about eggs and aliens.

I do however take the point made by SS(again). It would be good to have a local connection based on history but one builder seems to have got itself into trouble with some people:-

[www.worcesternews.co.uk]

Mind you this is wrong:-

"The Roman name for Worcester was ‘Vigornia’, as there is no ‘W’ in the Latin language."

If the Romans had a name for what is now Worcester it is thought that it was "Vertis". "Vigornia" is a Latinised corruption derived from the Weogorans who were indeed the Saxon tribe who lived around here - several centuries AFTER the Romans had disappeared. The Latin language lasted much, much longer than the Romans.

So, if we are to refer to any particular warriors from history, it should be the Saxon Weogorans. That would be rather more authentic than Maximus!

Incidentally, the name "Wyre" as in Wyre forest is believed to be derived also from the name Weogoran.

Southstand(again)
18 April, 2018 08:37
Depends who you ask A38

The Hwiccas Tribe first inhabited Uueogornia 7c
Weogorna ceastre 9c
Wirrccester 11/12c
Wigornia 12/14c

The early english Weogorn is believed to have derived from "Wegro" the word for grass.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 08:45
Quote:
Southstand(again)
Depends who you ask A38

No argument from me there. It's the fault of the BBC. Ever since they lost their videos of the founding of the first Cathedral in Worcester at the end of the seventh century there has been a "discussion" about this!

But I don't think we disagree on the point I was trying to make. If the club is to justify "Warriors" and the logo - and to make a local connection - it is to the Saxons / Early English it should refer - not the Vikings or the Romans.

Southstand(again)
18 April, 2018 08:57
I think we need Abberley in on the conversation but Foresta de Wyre is mentioned in the Domesday book and although the forest obviously predates 1066 the name Wyre is actually a Norman word derived from the Viking language.
It was gifted to the Mortimer family post Norman conquest for "services rendered"

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 09:11
This was the reference I based my comment on:-

[www.discovershropshire.org.uk]

But I am very happy to accept that with the paucity of records - hence my sarcastic BBC dig - getting at the truth is a hazardous business.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 09:32
As I have said before , and been corrected by my learned friend A38, however tenuous I would like to be associated with Vikings who were warriors , as opposed to Romans who were soldiers IMHO. Think Roman -think Bath, Chester , York not Worcester.
We still have the Viking logo connected with the supporters club and a few still wear horned helmets. Much better opportunity for a mascot and The Longboat and Valhalla sound good names for bars etc etc.,The egg could be easily seen as a modern Viking helmet much more that a Roman one.

WorcesterSauce
18 April, 2018 09:35
Why not just Pears

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 10:51
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
Why not just Pears

You presumably missed the (Sm157) off your question otherwise you will tend to get many going (Sm16) or (Sm164)

MESSAGES->author
18 April, 2018 12:49
How come the Pears haven't been discussed before?!!!

BishBash
BishBash (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 13:02
Any discussion / mention of this last night?

MESSAGES->author
18 April, 2018 13:06
Yes mostly about the bar of the same name (Sm100) Most of the players we spoke to seemed a bit perplexed at the change.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 13:07
Not that I'm aware of.
A question for Solly on monday

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

MESSAGES->author
Abberley (IP Logged)
18 April, 2018 16:03
Quote:
ROLLO
As I have said before , and been corrected by my learned friend A38, however tenuous I would like to be associated with Vikings

Searching for 'Worcester' on this map gives an excellent visual explanation of why there is no Viking connection with Worcester

[www.britishmuseum.org]

The Danelaw boundary agreed by treaty between the Vikings and King Alfred confined the Vikings to North/East of Watling St. - as the map clearly shows.

The nearest place-name evidence of Viking influence near Worcester is Cakemore (where by chance I was born) near Halesowen, Kineton near Stratford - and, oddly, Thruxton near Hereford.

Any road up, reverting to topic, Bristol may have missed a trick with their logo?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/46/Coventry_Bears_logo.svg/220px-Coventry_Bears_logo.svg.png

Brummagem Bertie
18 April, 2018 16:36
I did think Brizzle's new logo didn't look that ferocious: more like Daddy Bear looking a bit miffed that someone else had beaten him to the porridge!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net