rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

usa warrior
Austin Speaks Sense?
usa warrior (IP Logged)
03 May, 2018 22:01
[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Players wages should decrease or clubs will go bust.

FlipFlop
Re: Austin Speaks Sense?
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
03 May, 2018 22:10
But heís speaking from the other side of the fence now. I doubt heíd have stood for a pay cut in his pomp.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
03 May, 2018 22:22
Maybe he is but that does not make his views any the less valid.

JP

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 06:38
What club is going to unilaterally reduce pay of players without the obvious impact of losing talent and being less likely to recruit it on less pay?

Financial sense it may be but applying it is nigh on impossible without every club doing it. If you want Prem survival, are you going to do this alone?

NW2
NW2 (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 06:59
I think he is absolutely right about the future of the game, but there is zero chance of this solution happening.
Eventually, professional rugby as it currently is will implode due to the ever increasing losses, as no one club can afford to make a stand, and 12 clubs will never agree on a common solution for the greater good of the game.
Just my slightly cynical opinion.

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 07:36
It can be controlled. There's no doubt clubs incones are going up. The problem is players wages have gone ip faster. If the salary cap is frozen and adhered to for the next 5-10 years, it'll hopefully give clubs a chance to catch up.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 07:46
Rumour that the RFU/PRL have just closed a loophole which will now put 5 clubs over the cap.

Some suggestion it was paying players wives as employees of the clubs. One Northampton supporter said that Carlos Spencers wife was, allegedly, paid as a bricklayer!! No idea how true that is, but apparently this goes on quite a lot.

Did anyone else notice how certain clubs recruitment has paused?? Wonder if there are some investigations going on...

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 08:13
Quote:
Faithful_City
Maybe he is but that does not make his views any the less valid.
JP

Or ticket prices should go up, or beer, or TV money spread out better....I do see where he is coming from as its getting silly.

The trouble is the toothpaste is out of the tube on this one.

And the thing with us suggesting the players to take one for the team, is that (as is so often is the case in this request) the one doing the suggesting is not the one doing the taking....

MESSAGES->author
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 11:26
Proffesional rugby has never been thought out from the start as a long term business model. Ringfencing will have to happen otherwise its an expensive hobby for owners and supporters.

If Warriors get their sh@t together on the pitch more money will flow through the balance sheets

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 12:09
Quote:
knightstemplar
Proffesional rugby has never been thought out from the start as a long term business model. Ringfencing will have to happen otherwise its an expensive hobby for owners and supporters.
If Warriors get their sh@t together on the pitch more money will flow through the balance sheets
A good and accurate post there KT.

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 14:41
Quote:
usa warrior
Rumour that the RFU/PRL have just closed a loophole which will now put 5 clubs over the cap.
Some suggestion it was paying players wives as employees of the clubs. One Northampton supporter said that Carlos Spencers wife was, allegedly, paid as a bricklayer!! No idea how true that is, but apparently this goes on quite a lot.

Did anyone else notice how certain clubs recruitment has paused?? Wonder if there are some investigations going on...

That sort of thing has been going on for years. A certain BT Sport pundit and former ex-London club player was rumoured to have a wife who was employed as a secretary at the club but never seen in work.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
04 May, 2018 15:48
Quote:
Brummagem Bertie
Quote:
usa warrior

That sort of thing has been going on for years. A certain BT Sport pundit and former ex-London club player was rumoured to have a wife who was employed as a secretary at the club but never seen in work.

Doesn't that make him qualified to start a career in politics?

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 06:13
I finally got round to reading this and can't believe that Ted and Pat have failed to comment ...

The marquee rule was brought in partly because so many clubs were, allegedly, flouting the salary cap. The idea was screw the wage cap, it is my money I will do what I want. Now strangely I think even those clubs would want to abide by the cap. Maybe they flaunted the rules previously, but now they are crying out for their costs to be controlled.

perhaps they are disinterested, or merely uninterested ?

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 08:32
Iím here SS, Itís been a very busy few days, I apologise for my lack of attention.

Reducing the issue to itsí essentials, Oz is correct isnít he?

The numbers speak for themselves, and the game at premiership level has developed into a rich manís vanity project. (All bar Exeter of course).

What of the future then? A tighter control of a lower salary cap, possibly, and/or a serious reduction in the number of substitutes allowed would reduce squad numbers some say, by virtue of reducing impact plays since coaches know players would have to last longer. Less injuries, particularly long term ones, allow for smaller squads.

Impose squad number controls? Iíve seen it mentioned somewhere.

Significant increase in ticket prices? Everyone mentions it, but theoretically it only works for the more successful clubs. We know from bitter experience that demand for Wuss tickets is relatively flexible. Look at our reduced numbers over the years, poor results lower demand, consistently poor results lower demand even more, whack a price increase on top and its almost 2 men and a dog time.

The Wasps Leicesters and Exeters will get away with significant price rises, we wouldnít.

I suspect that like most complex business issues there wonít be a revolutionary change. There will be further evolution based on the status quo.

Ticket prices will rise gently, the salary cap will be more rigorously policed, match day squad numbers and allowed tactical substitutions may be reduced, broadcasters may be given even more flexibility in return for even more money, there will be a few daft ideas like replacing the AWC with the inter-premiership cup competition (a guaranteed flop in waiting), and who knows what else.

The sun will continue to rise in the east, JP will provide us with much detail to be studied, Pat will continue to be a sartorial style-setter, Bertie and Gary will continue to post eminently sensible stuff, Bernie and Jerry will continue to be regular lurkers, (well, the only 2 Iím certain of anyway) and Saucie will continue to bemoan the location of 6Ways and itís sterile matchday experience.

And come September weíll all be excited again and convinced that the major success of mid-table mediocrity is within our grasp at long last.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 10:31
Quote:
TeflonTed
Iím here SS, Itís been a very busy few days, I apologise for my lack of attention.
Reducing the issue to itsí essentials, Oz is correct isnít he?

The numbers speak for themselves, and the game at premiership level has developed into a rich manís vanity project. (All bar Exeter of course).

What of the future then? A tighter control of a lower salary cap, possibly, and/or a serious reduction in the number of substitutes allowed would reduce squad numbers some say, by virtue of reducing impact plays since coaches know players would have to last longer. Less injuries, particularly long term ones, allow for smaller squads.

Impose squad number controls? Iíve seen it mentioned somewhere.

Significant increase in ticket prices? Everyone mentions it, but theoretically it only works for the more successful clubs. We know from bitter experience that demand for Wuss tickets is relatively flexible. Look at our reduced numbers over the years, poor results lower demand, consistently poor results lower demand even more, whack a price increase on top and its almost 2 men and a dog time.

The Wasps Leicesters and Exeters will get away with significant price rises, we wouldnít.

I suspect that like most complex business issues there wonít be a revolutionary change. There will be further evolution based on the status quo.

Ticket prices will rise gently, the salary cap will be more rigorously policed, match day squad numbers and allowed tactical substitutions may be reduced, broadcasters may be given even more flexibility in return for even more money, there will be a few daft ideas like replacing the AWC with the inter-premiership cup competition (a guaranteed flop in waiting), and who knows what else.

The sun will continue to rise in the east, JP will provide us with much detail to be studied, Pat will continue to be a sartorial style-setter, Bertie and Gary will continue to post eminently sensible stuff, Bernie and Jerry will continue to be regular lurkers, (well, the only 2 Iím certain of anyway) and Saucie will continue to bemoan the location of 6Ways and itís sterile matchday experience.

And come September weíll all be excited again and convinced that the major success of mid-table mediocrity is within our grasp at long last.
Amen! (Sm128)

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 10:41
Quote:
Southstand(again)
I ... can't believe that Ted and Pat have failed to comment

My nurse tells me that I am far too stupid to try to understand the recondite thinking of those who rule the premiership. Oh well, back to the Lego!

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 11:29
It's lonely here in pedant corner.

I can understand "Flaunted the Rules" entering the English language, (maybe by way of a JK Rowling novel) . I just find it difficult to accept flaunt and flout being used in the same paragraph to mean the same thing.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 11:41
If I were to flout the rules I certainly wouldnít flaunt it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net