rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Ake1985
Player of the season??
Ake1985 (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 12:56
Who do people think has been the player of the season??

I'm fairly certain Josh Adams will win most official awards. Would be fair enough but for me, without Ryan Mills playing he doesn't score as many!

If Mills or Spencer could stay fit they would be up there, as they are brilliant when on the pitch.

But for me the best and most consistent player this year has been Sam Lewis!! I dont think I have seen him have a bad game! Consistently puts his body on the line making important tackles and stealing ball. For not necessarily the biggest back-row he makes good yards as well.

Special mention also to Ryan Bower. I think he has played in every game this season. Really stepped up to be a good premiership player

Patgadd
Re: Player of the season??
Patgadd (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 13:34
I wouldn't argue with any of the above, but if I had two votes I'd give them to Nick Schonert and GJ Van Velze.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 16:03
My 2 votes go to Sam Lewis and Jackson Willison

SOUTHSTANDWARRIOR
SOUTHSTANDWARRIOR (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 18:38
Has to be Sam.
Definition of a true warrior!
Broken nose, black eye, bloody face, nothing stops Sammy boy.
Sometimes when he comes of the pitch it looks like he has been in a boxing bout not a rugby match!

BrumBrum
BrumBrum (IP Logged)
06 May, 2018 21:56
Josh will get it, but think Singeton has been a revelation this year & Schonert is the player that makes the scrum work.
If they were staying Denton & Spencer (who I believe will involved in World Cup) would also be in with a shout.

kiddykid
kiddykid (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 01:37
Picking just one is impossible for me, so......Sam Lewis, Nick Schonert and Jack Singleton - someone else can decide the order but for different reasons they all deserve to win.

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 08:48
The most influential player for me is Mills. We are a different team with him on the pitch. The amount of assists heís had and his obvious leadership too. Looking forward to a run of games with FH, Lance and Mills, with Venter or Teo at 13.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 09:05
All good points, but Josh for me.

Reasons:-
Equal top try scorer* in premiership league, with 13, (8 in away games)
This while playing for the 11th placed side.
Heís honouring his contract, could have chosen to be swayed by Gatlandís Law.
Heís Welsh.

*Niki Goneva, 13 trys, (5 away) will presumably be involved in the play-off semi, could score, wonít be involved in the final since Falcons will lose the semi.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 09:08
Quote:
TeflonTed
All good points, but Josh for me.
Reasons:-
Equal top try scorer* in premiership league, with 13, (8 in away games)
This while playing for the 11th placed side.
Heís honouring his contract, could have chosen to be swayed by Gatlandís Law.
Heís Welsh.

*Niki Goneva, 13 trys, (5 away) will presumably be involved in the play-off semi, could score, wonít be involved in the final since Falcons will lose the semi.
and tries scored after the regular season,i.e in the play-offs do not count.

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 15:54
Van Veltz for me. To come back from a season lay-off with concussion problems and play as he has is I think a statement to his mental resources.

OverTheBoarder
OverTheBorder (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 17:33
Jackson Willison. Always committed and consistent in his performances.

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 18:18
Seems to me a number of players have had very good seasons yet we still came 11th. Tough old league. Over to you Rory.

hairyicecream
wusstawizard (IP Logged)
07 May, 2018 23:57
Ben Te'o for me

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 08:50
In a season of inconsistency, I think you've got to look at who has been the most consistent. I think Jackson had one iffy game having played in almost all of our premiership games.

You cannot really consider someone who has been injured for half the season, which counts out Mills as he only played 11 premiership games, albeit as one of our best players.

There are others who have played most of the games, but that doesn't necessarily make them the best player of the season. Bower has done well, as has Waller, but neither really produced the x-factor. Sharky is the first name on the team sheet when fit, and possibly sneaks in with 15 prem games. Jack gets a mention as well.

DOC played in 21 games, putting in his best performance in his last game. I'm not sure he deserves player of the season given some of his other performances.

For me, it comes down to 3. Josh, Sam Lewis and Jackson. One has the tries, the other two created the opportunities, directly or indirectly with their work rate. I really couldn't pick between them.

MSR-Worcester
MSR-Worcester (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 09:08
All contenders:
Singleton - reliable player every week, good in line out
Schonert - a few injuries but the form of our scrum and his return is no coincidence
Spencer - massive ball carrier, defender and line out threat. However a few injuries
Denton - has been monstrous in the 2nd half of the season, brilliant ball carrier
Lewis - another consistent performer, deceptively quick and a great defender
van Velze - as others have said a big season after a year out with concussion. True leader
Mills - our attack suffers when he's off the pitch. Great vision and passing range
Adams - Top try scorer in league, fast, 1st Wales cap, versatile playing all over the backline

But for me, our best player was Jackson Willison. Almost ever present in the premiership this season (only pulled out against Irish last minute). Whether he was playing at 12 or 13 he offered a consistent attacking threat and his defence was outstanding. He often stepped into a playmaking role off set piece which gave us options on either side of the pitch. We will truly miss him when he goes to Bath next season.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 09:18
Quote:
MSR-Worcester
All contenders:
Singleton - reliable player every week, good in line out
Schonert - a few injuries but the form of our scrum and his return is no coincidence
Spencer - massive ball carrier, defender and line out threat. However a few injuries
Denton - has been monstrous in the 2nd half of the season, brilliant ball carrier
Lewis - another consistent performer, deceptively quick and a great defender
van Velze - as others have said a big season after a year out with concussion. True leader
Mills - our attack suffers when he's off the pitch. Great vision and passing range
Adams - Top try scorer in league, fast, 1st Wales cap, versatile playing all over the backline

But for me, our best player was Jackson Willison. Almost ever present in the premiership this season (only pulled out against Irish last minute). Whether he was playing at 12 or 13 he offered a consistent attacking threat and his defence was outstanding. He often stepped into a playmaking role off set piece which gave us options on either side of the pitch. We will truly miss him when he goes to Bath next season.
"Adams,fast." Understatement of the season! He's faster than fast!
What about Heem? May not have crossed the whitewash as much he and we would like but has been tremendous in other areas this season.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net