rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

usa warrior
Summer Tour Squads
usa warrior (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 10:46
Dave Denton has made the Scottish squad. I believe that Wales are announced today and England on Thursday.

Fingers crossed a few others make it.

usa warrior
Re: Summer Tour Squads
usa warrior (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 11:57
Adams also in for Wales!!

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 13:37
It's good Denton and hopefully Spencer getting international recognition but now they're no longer officially with us i don't get all excited or bothered about it.
I've moved on.Adams and hopefully Sharky and Jack on tour,that'll be something.And T'eo obviously.

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 19:23
Well done to both of them. Let's hope we get a couple in the England squad as well.

Denton is such a great bench option for an international team. He is a very direct attacker, hits hard in defence and can get up in the lineout. He can shore up almost any tactics as a result.

Let's hope Josh gets a run. He deserves it, and he'll be full of beans come September.

MESSAGES->author
Butthead (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 19:50
With 25 different surnames, is this the most diverse Wales squad ever?

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 19:59
Also confirmation that DuPreez and Weir are no longer in the Scots plans.

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 20:03
Quote:
ROLLO
Also confirmation that DuPreez and Weir are no longer in the Scots plans.
But then, neither was Denton before this season.
Weir is decent and a good back up to the mercurial Russell. If he gets in ahead of Lance for us, he doesn't have many players to overtake to get on the Scottish bench at least. Du Preez has it harder because of the strength of the Scottish back row, but he was ahead of DD not that long ago.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
08 May, 2018 21:41
Joe T and Callum Black picked for the USA Eagles squad.

Touchliner
Touchliner (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 08:26
USA have June fixtures against Russia, Scotland and Canada apparently.

I never knew Callum Black was qualified! Born in USA apparently...

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 08:35
Quote:
Touchliner

Touchliner, welcome to the Le Roux club!

Touchliner
Touchliner (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 10:16
Quote:
Patgadd
Quote:
Touchliner

Touchliner, welcome to the Le Roux club!

Thank you for the welcome but I still haven't spotted who had already expressed surprise at Callum Black's eligibility for USA.........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2018 10:17 by Touchliner.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 11:06
'Twas JP in an earlier thread

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 12:12
Twere!

JP

Touchliner
Touchliner (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 16:51
OK - I accept my membership graciously.

Is there a dress code? (Sm101)

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 16:59
Yellow, red, purple or pink trousers

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 20:51
Or all 4 in Pat's case.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 21:23
Saw Nick earlier and he said he finds out at 12 tomorrow if heís in or not. He excited but extremely nervous at the same time. Fingers crossed for him.

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 07:52
Telegraph says Cole is being rested. Nick will almost definitely be in the squad for the training camp happening while the semis and final of them prem are on, and probably in the touring squad you'd have thought.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 07:53
Hope so!! Would be good for him and for us.

Emphursis
Emphursis (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 08:44
Teo made the full squad, Schonert, Singleton and Ollie Lawrence made the training squad.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 08:54
WoW! Didn't expect Lawrence! Congratulations to all especially to Ollie!
Also well done to Eddie for selecting Cameron Redpath.I know his dad wanted him in the Scottish squad which could still happen if he's not selected for England.
Same for Vellacot.

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/2018 09:15 by w4rriorz1980.

MESSAGES->author
West Brom Warrior (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 09:10
Interesting that Will Spencer was not considered for selection assume itís due to injury but he was clearly part of the discussion for the squad. Lawrence is a left field selection for the training squad I wonder if Te'o alerted the management to his potential.

MESSAGES->author
Teme Dream (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 09:16
Nick not in the touring squad though (Sm147)

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 09:24
Only takes an injury. Tough calls at tighthead.

Jack is possibly the most likely to tour as only two hookers currently travelling.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 09:50
Spencer injured for us, but okay for England camp. Ummm, now where has that happened before?

Shame the lads didn't get in the touring squad, but i might get to see them against the Barbarians.

Great news for Lawrence, but i do have a concern. His selection is good for him, but i sense it will only put him in the shop window for prying top flight eyes, and be snaffled away from us in the short to mid term, dependent on how we progress next season.

Do find it weird how players can bypass age group selection into main squads, and rarely (if at all) playing top flight for their club. Butler (injury accepted) must be bemused that he will at best get to play in the U20 World games this summer having made his Prem debut in style, led the academy team really well, yet see's Ollie on the fast track.

Anyway, plenty of touring players from our squad which can only show how we are developing. Hopefully a few more in the future

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 09:54
I agree totally with that last paragraph Flip Flop. It does completely show how we are developing as a squad.

As for the squad Iím delighted to see Cips in there,heís our most destructive 10 we have on his day. Would love to see himself and Faz at 10/12. Iím also really pleased to see Brad Shields in there too,thereís a lot of talent in that squad

MESSAGES->author
Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 10:09
England squad to tour South Africa:

Backs: Mike Brown (Harlequins), Danny Cipriani (Wasps), Elliot Daly (Wasps), Nathan Earle (Saracens)*, Owen Farrell (Saracens), George Ford (Leicester Tigers), Alex Lozowski (Saracens), Jonny May (Leicester Tigers), Cameron Redpath (Sale Sharks)*, Dan Robson (Wasps)*, Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs), Denny Solomona (Sale Sharks), Ben Spencer (Saracens)*, Ben Te'o (Worcester Warriors), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

Forwards: Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs), Tom Curry (Sale Sharks), Ben Earl (Saracens)*, Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers), Jamie George (Saracens), Jonny Hill (Exeter Chiefs)*, Nick Isiekwe (Saracens), Maro Itoje (Saracens), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Joe Marler (Harlequins), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), Brad Shields (Hurricanes/Wasps)*, Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs), Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins), Billy Vunipola (Saracens), Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs), Jack Willis (Wasps)*, Mark Wilson (Newcastle)

*Uncapped

Not considered for selection:

Backs: Danny Care (Harlequins), Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby), Harry Mallinder (Northampton Saints), Joe Marchant (Harlequins), Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs), Semesa Rokoduguni (Bath Rugby), Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers), Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby), Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens)

Forwards: Jack Clifford (Harlequins), Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Tom Dunn (Bath Rugby), Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby), Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), James Haskell (Wasps), Nathan Hughes (Wasps), George Kruis (Saracens), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Will Spencer (Worcester Warriors), Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby)

line
Meanwhile, Jones has also named a 31-man squad that will train in Brighton next week for the tour and for England's match against the Barbarians on Sunday, 27 May at Twickenham.

The final squad for the Barbarians match will be confirmed after the Premiership semi-finals, which will feature Saracens, Exeter, Wasps and Newcastle.

Worcester's 18-year-old centre Ollie Lawrence is among the uncapped players who will attend the camp.

England training squad:

Backs: Mike Brown (Harlequins), Joe Cokanasiga (London Irish)*, Ben Loader (London Irish)*, Jonny May (Leicester Tigers), Denny Solomona (Sale Sharks), Jason Woodward (Gloucester Rugby)*, George Ford (Leicester Tigers), Piers Francis (Northampton Saints), Ollie Lawrence (Worcester Warriors)*, Cameron Redpath (Sale Sharks)*, Marcus Smith (Harlequins)*, Ben Te'o (Worcester Warriors), Ben Vellacott (Gloucester Rugby)*, Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

Forwards: Josh Beaumont (Sale Sharks)*, Tom Curry (Sale Sharks), Tom Ellis (Bath Rugby)*, Teimana Harrison (Northampton Saints), Josh McNally (London Irish)*, Zach Mercer (Bath Rugby)*, Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), Jono Ross (Sale Sharks)*, Elliott Stooke (Bath Rugby)*, Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers), Paul Hill (Northampton Saints), Joe Marler (Harlequins), George McGuigan (Leicester Tigers)*, Beno Obano (Bath Rugby)*, Nick Schonert (Worcester Warriors)*, Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins), Jack Singleton (Worcester Warriors) *

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 10:37
Quote:
FlipFlop
Spencer injured for us, but okay for England camp. Ummm, now where has that happened before?

Spencer isn't in the England camp. He's listed as injured by EJ, but was clearly under consideration.

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 13:14
Quote:
FlipFlop
Shame the lads didn't get in the touring squad, but i might get to see them against the Barbarians.

Great news for Lawrence, but i do have a concern. His selection is good for him, but i sense it will only put him in the shop window for prying top flight eyes, and be snaffled away from us in the short to mid term, dependent on how we progress next season.

Do find it weird how players can bypass age group selection into main squads, and rarely (if at all) playing top flight for their club. Butler (injury accepted) must be bemused that he will at best get to play in the U20 World games this summer having made his Prem debut in style, led the academy team really well, yet see's Ollie on the fast track.

Anyway, plenty of touring players from our squad which can only show how we are developing. Hopefully a few more in the future

I wouldn't worry too much about Ollie Lawrence. He is on an Academy contract for next season, I believe, which gives us a lot of protection against poaching. I also think he will love being around and learning from the likes of Te'o, Venter, Olivier and Beck. He will also look at Will Butler as the latest youngster to be given a chance in the first team and know that he will get his chance at Worcester, if he works hard and develops his game, rather than be treated as tackle bag fodder.

I think he will be another who will see no need to leave Worcester to achieve his ambitions, at least in the short-term and being included in the England set-up now will only reinforce that feeling.

As for the comparison with Will, I don't know how serious his injury is but Ollie may be one of Eddie's "apprentices", whereas Will hasn't been considered because he is earmarked for an important role for the U20s this summer and Eddie doesn't want to interfere with that.

Eddie does seem to be keen on identifying up and coming talent and giving them early exposure to the full England set-up, to see how they respond and give them an idea of what will be expected from them if they want to progress.

I wouldn't see that as a slight against Will, merely an acknowledgement of Ollie's exceptional potential.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

LiveInHope
LiveInHope (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 13:47
Bit baffled why Marler still finds his way into the squad, when people like Schonert arenít.
Never rated him as a player & think not that great a person off the field as well. Also he is hardly young. Thought EJ would use this tour to test younger players before the World Cup.

Agree excellent news with Lawrence.
Is it just me or do we have almost too many centres?
Butler did not look out of his depth against Quins, Lawrence was always a case of when not if he made the step up.
Then you add this years recruits in Venter, Beck and the Van Breda (know he can play at 15,10 as well), not forgetting Oliver and Teío.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 13:53
Van Breda almost certainly a fullback as CP is currently the only one on our books.

Point well made though re centres and, yes, I think we now do have too many although we will have multiple competitions to play in and it is a very attritional position.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
Only thing with that Marler and Schonert assessment LIH is that the play opposite sides of the scrum

Ronster
Drahm for England (IP Logged)
LiH - Olivier will surely only do one more year and will need to be managed carefully, Te'o will be away for huge chunks of next season with England. That leaves us with Mills (can be injury-prone), Venter & Beck. Butler is just coming through, would expect him to feature more in ECC and new cup competition, Van Breda is a utility back.

I would say our centre options are about right for a very attritional position.

Ronster
Drahm for England (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 13:54
After the way Kyle Sinckler behaved & performed against us, I would have NS any day of the week for the England squad!!!

Eternal optimist
Eternal optimist (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 14:31
Quote:
Drahm for England
After the way Kyle Sinckler behaved & performed against us, I would have NS any day of the week for the England squad!!!
I think that Sinckler is a liability and Nick is far better in the scrum. But hey, Nick doesnít for Quins.
Even worse for me though is Brown but no Woodwood. Just what has Brown got on Eddie

Warrior7
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 15:18
I think it's pretty clear why Woodward doesn't get in - he's a fantastic athlete and has great skills but very suspect defence. I'd argue he passes even less than Brown - he always backs himself but at the expense of actually scoring if he just passed (Based on watching a few of Glaws' games this year).

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 16:08
I expect Nick to tour. All it will take is one knock to Williams or Sinckler and he'll be required. Otherwise, they can't even train properly. Same goes for Jack.

Blue&GoldWarrior
Blue&GoldWarrior (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 23:10
On a non Warriors note be very interesting to see what this does to the Cipriani situation. I read he was waiting to see if he got in the squad before deciding on his next club. On form he is the best 10 in the country atm!

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 06:55
Glaws seems to be the current rumour with Owen Williams potentially going to Dragons.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 08:02
Quote:
Warrior7
I think it's pretty clear why Woodward doesn't get in - he's a fantastic athlete and has great skills but very suspect defence. I'd argue he passes even less than Brown - he always backs himself but at the expense of actually scoring if he just passed (Based on watching a few of Glaws' games this year).

I'd disagree. There is no one in the whole world of rugby that passes less than Brown. The difference between Woodward not passing and Brown not passing, is that Woodward is now 50 yards down the pitch. Brown is a shadow of his former self, and a very good player back in his day. It is no longer his day and hasn't been for a couple of years.

I'd like to see Eddie picking teams based on the here and now, not YouTube clips from 5 years ago. I appreciate he knows more about rugby than me, but two liability props who haven't really impressed this season have made the squad at a canter. Will the Quins players really show up their club by playing a standard for England that they weren't prepared to do for their club? Probably, I'd guess.

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 09:41
I think Brown going is just Eddie picking someone he doesn't need to worry about in a position that has lost some depth. Watson being injured means he would need to have someone else covering 15 who has no chance of being in the squad for the world cup. Plus, Brown has played in a losing side all year and lost his place in the 6N. Angry Mike Brown is the best Mike Brown.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 11:58
Quote:
Underdog
, Brown has played in a losing side all year and lost his place in the 6N. Angry Mike Brown is the best Mike Brown.

You sure about that? He looked angry enough at 6Ways a couple of weeks ago and was rubbish!!

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 12:17
Quote:
TeflonTed
Quote:
Underdog
, Brown has played in a losing side all year and lost his place in the 6N. Angry Mike Brown is the best Mike Brown.

You sure about that? He looked angry enough at 6Ways a couple of weeks ago and was rubbish!!
Well, think how poor he'd have been if he was cheerful!

Sutton Warrior
Sutton Warrior (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 13:10
Plenty of interesting points in these selections.Personally I think a fit genge is better than Marlar; Sinkler is a liability. Eddie seems keen to follow the Australian apporach of seeing if young players are good enough/thrive in the environment rather than making them serve their time.I really hope Cipriani keeps it together - he is just different which is something Australia have routinely accommodated and England has not

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
11 May, 2018 13:15
The problem with Genge is that he is also one funny look away from going something idiotic. It's been interesting watching Tigers play as they spend half there time leading Genge away from the opposition who know how volatile he is. How come Nick gets so many accolades without resorting to punching people?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net