rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Sheldon
Final Recruitment
Sheldon (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 16:13
Last week Solomons said that he would finalise the recruitment by the end of this week with probably two more signings. Any ideas what position or who? Possibly second row and tighthead would be my guess but not big names.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Final Recruitment
Teme Dream (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 16:19
Quote:
Sheldon
but not big names

That counts out Ratu Taniela Rawaqa Maravunawasawasa, Alwyn Wilhelm Cornelius Johannes Hollenbach and Aukusitino Junior Poluleuligaga then.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 16:28
(Sm6)

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 19:01
Saints have signed a 10 with a Biggar name.

Sorry.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 19:34
Quote:
Teme Dream
Quote:
Sheldon
but not big names

That counts out Ratu Taniela Rawaqa Maravunawasawasa, Alwyn Wilhelm Cornelius Johannes Hollenbach and Aukusitino Junior Poluleuligaga then.
If only you could use names in scrabble!

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 19:54
Maybe the final recruitment will come at Christmas when Solly works out the gaps.

JP

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
09 May, 2018 22:15
I agree with Sheldon that Solly inferred final two would be done this week, no doubt before he goes on his well earned break.

MESSAGES->author
drifter (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 08:06
just hope there is a second row in addition to the projects

MESSAGES->author
10 May, 2018 12:29
I suspect the 2 to be announced soon will be the project players.

I still feel he has funds in reserve to recruit mid season as the holes or possible improvements emerge.

JP

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
10 May, 2018 12:46
He doesn't strike me as one who will be wasting money or spending all of it at once. Suspect you're correct there JP.

MESSAGES->author
13 May, 2018 09:19
Could it be

Quote:

10. Jeff Hassler

Hassler, a Canadian outside back, is leaving Ospreys after five years since he joined in 2013. The 26-year-old has 37 appearances and 70 points for the Welsh side and would be a good addition to most Premiership sides due to his versatility and age.

The winger has also made 18 appearances for Canada since 2012 and has represented them at U20 and for the Sevens side, he has 60 points across all of his national appearances.

Gloucester have recently parted ways with David Halaifonua who joins Coventry so Hassler to Kingsholm is a deal that could potentially happen. The Cherry and Whites could add him to the squad for depth or as a starter ahead of the next campaign.

Northampton, who have let go of a whole load of players, would certainly benefit adding Hassler as their sixth summer signing, not only for depth but for his quality and versatility but the Canadian could easily go to Worcester, despite them adding Scott van Breda this summer, as they will want to ensure they remain in the Premiership next season also. If Hassler did move to Worcester, he would join up with Ashley Beck who has just joined from Ospreys.

With those clubs in mind, Hassler could also fit in to a top-half-of-the-table side such as Newcastle or even Wasps.

after all we only have Adams for 1 more season?

Or, could it be any of these guys who are out of contract

Top Ten without a contracts

JP

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 11:24
With the exception of Kyle Eastmond, due to us potentially losing Venter and Te'o during the autumn, I wouldn't think any of those are remotely on the radar, not because one or two wouldn't improve the squad but because we already seem to be covered in those positions.

We don't need Hassler, especially at his age, given we have Dean Hammond, Perry Humphries, and Tom Howe to back-up Josh and Bryce.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 11:30
Hassler is going back to the US league or Canada.

Although a good player, we don't need him.

MESSAGES->author
13 May, 2018 15:32
Not now, but what about when Adams leaves for Wales after next season.

Hassler slugging it out with Humphries and Howe could be pretty good

JP

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 16:23
If we need someone after next season I would rather we were looking for younger and quicker, to be honest, assuming we don't have someone who can make the step-up from the Academy.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 19:11
Somewhat likely we could lose Heem as well next season.

I like Tom Howe and feel he could step up. Humphreys and Hammond have also certainly stepped up.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 19:40
Quote:
Brummagem Bertie
With the exception of Kyle Eastmond, due to us potentially losing Venter and Te'o during the autumn, I wouldn't think any of those are remotely on the radar, not because one or two wouldn't improve the squad but because we already seem to be covered in those positions.
We don't need Hassler, especially at his age, given we have Dean Hammond, Perry Humphries, and Tom Howe to back-up Josh and Bryce.

I'm still worried about scrum half cover, Simpson would be great and I think with our coaching Brookes could be as good as schonert where again the back ups are quite a step down.

Then again I'd still rather spend the money on a new lock.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 19:53
Brooke’s is going to Wasps. We’ve got plenty of 9’s as well. Anyone would be deemed a step down from FH. Big shoes to fill there, but with Lance/Weir we shouldn’t be as reliant on him I don’t think.

Milosanovich will only get better and is a decent backup I’d say.

Lock is a tough one as, on paper, we have plenty of them. Again, whether they’re deemed good enough is a matter of opinion I suppose.

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 20:24
Quote:
usa warrior
Somewhat likely we could lose Heem as well next season.

Why’s that? Decent season, say mid-table and I’ll think he will stay.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 21:30
Contract up then and a few rumours he wants to go back home.

Hopefully we do and we keep hold of him.

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
13 May, 2018 23:08
Quote:
usa warrior
Contract up then and a few rumours he wants to go back home.
Hopefully we do and we keep hold of him.

Would be understandable

He’d be a hell of a job to replace

MESSAGES->author
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 07:56
Kieran Brookes tighthead would be useful in the squad

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 10:02
Brookes is going to Wasps. Probably announced today.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 12:19
All quiet on the Warrior front

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 12:25
Suspect it will remain that way for a few weeks. Everyone's now on holiday.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 12:30
I heard a while back that we were signing Godot - still waiting

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 12:36
One of the things which sticks in my head about recruitment was Solomons saying that he had been able to keep the core of the squad together. There are obvious advantages in familiarity and continuity.

There have been a goodly number of "ins" and "outs" announced but I feel that the majority of the "ins" will add to the strength in depth factor rather than being starters (the exceptions of course being at No 10 and Fatialofa ).

We had some fun this time last year imagining what the "on paper / everybody fit and available" starting XV would be - and by and large there was a good consensus. The problem was of course that we never saw that XV start - mainly due to injuries.

Next season's "on paper / everybody fit and available" starting XV would I expect include: Pennell, Adams, Heem, Te'o, Mills, Hougaard, Mama, Lewis, Schonert, and Singleton. So thats 2/3 of last season's squad to which could be added Waller and Barry. A case could also be made for the likes of GJVV.

So in my book the core of the squad - in terms of the starting XV - has been kept.

It is the bench where I believe we will see the biggest change in quality and where many of the new arrivals will add just that extra depth which has been lacking and which has, I fear, been a factor in the inconsistency which we have all regretted.

Mind you there will not be continuity in the coaching team and it remains to be seen how the two newcomers will perform. No doubt they will bring in their own ideas and hopefully the pre-season will allow them to settle in.

But it is the young players where the club's future lies and I look forward to a number breaking though into the starting 23 this season. It is all very well buying in already established players but they must be blended with the "home grown" and this will, I believe, be one of the most encouraging things to look forward to in the Autumn. Not all will be successful but hopefully the perceived gap in the second row will be filled by the likes of Kitchener and that is how it should be.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 13:36
USAW,

Just returning to the thrust of the opening thread on this subject.

Solly did intimate that some recruitment news would be announced last week.

This may have been behind closed doors, and the final jig-saw piece will be announced once the Early Bird subscriber offers have expired, to maximise ST income.

Cynical yes, but entirely possible.

vigorniensis
vigorniensis (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 14:24
A38
14 May, 2018 21:36

Very good posting A38.

MESSAGES->author
14 May, 2018 14:35
Great post A38 but disagree that most of the new recruits backup

I feel 6 out of the 10 will make the matchday 23

Weir
Lance
Du Preez
Black
Venter
Fatialofa

That is over 25% change to our match day team

JP

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 14:50
JP: I don't think we disagree. I was referring to the starting 15 and making the point implicitly that with the names you mention the starting 23 will represent the strength in depth which has been lacking in the past.

MESSAGES->author
14 May, 2018 14:56
I think 4 possibly 5 might even start

Weir/Lance
Venter
Black
Fatialofa
Du Preez

JP

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
14 May, 2018 22:56
The twittersphere has it that during the next week we will announce the signing of a Tigers player. Young hopeful? Old pro? Doesn't say. I'll be in a far corner of Oireland, possibly without wifi or telly, so may have to wait till Monday to find out.

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 05:53
Quote:
Patgadd
I heard a while back that we were signing Godot - still waiting

What you did there......

....I see it.

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 06:27
Too early for me . Who's the lucky player ?

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 08:25
Quote:
Patgadd
The twittersphere has it that during the next week we will announce the signing of a Tigers player. Young hopeful? Old pro? Doesn't say. I'll be in a far corner of Oireland, possibly without wifi or telly, so may have to wait till Monday to find out.

There’s much better WiFi in the sticks than there is in the middle of Co Meath 30 miles from Dublin.

Politics.

Sheldon
Sheldon (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 11:01
If it is a Tigers player I would not be surprised if it were Mike Williams

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 11:07
Quote:
Sheldon
If it is a Tigers player I would not be surprised if it were Mike Williams

I would, given mike signed a new contract with Leicester just before Christmas.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 11:11
Quote:
TeflonTed

There’s much better WiFi in the sticks than there is in the middle of Co Meath 30 miles from Dublin.

Politics.

Not here - the house we're staying in didn't have electricity until this year!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net