rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

WarriorRiddler
'Shed' a tear
WarriorRiddler (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 13:50
Bristol-esque news to come from Kingsholm shortly!!!

usa warrior
Re: 'Shed' a tear
usa warrior (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 14:03
Lions and Tigers and Bears! Oh my!!

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 14:42
Nope, just a rebrand. Not Lions, yet...

MESSAGES->author
Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 15:03

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 15:07
I had a look on their website and started reading the guff about the re-brand. Got about halfway through before it reminded me why I didn't go into marketing.

MESSAGES->author
15 May, 2018 15:32
Quote:
Fiver
I had a look on their website and started reading the guff about the re-brand. Got about halfway through before it reminded me why I didn't go into marketing.

All sounds a bit familiar I thought..

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 15:56
Really? Their guff seems far more relateable and real compared with ours and more recently Bristol.

For example look at the justification of the change taken from their website:

''Gloucester Rugby is who we are.
The Shield represents the history of the City.
Cherry and White Hoops remain the clubs colours.
The Lion has been part of past Gloucester Rugby logos, stemming from the clubs original use of the Gloucester City Crest.
1873 represents our History''

Makes a lot more sense than Bristol's guff about bears being brave and courageous animals and how this depicted Bristol. Whereas it's not perfect, this sort of rebranding i don't mind. Theyve made a conscience effort to keep their history, identity and heritage and incorporate it into the 21st century - whereas it may not be to everyone's taste, at least they have tried and made the effort.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 15/05/2018 15:59 by WorcesterSauce.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 15:58
ďoriginal use of the...........Ē

Leaves us all in suspense....

Proper tease marketing.

Love it.

WorcesterSauce
15 May, 2018 16:00
Haha apologies. Accidentally hit the 'post message' mid writing.

MESSAGES->author
Grasshopper (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 16:07
No doubt there will be lots of "I don't like/want the change" posts and campaigns for the next few years.......Yawn! (Sm159)

WorcesterSauce
15 May, 2018 16:31
Funnily enough the reaction on Shed Web isn't at all bad. I remember on here when our re-branding was done and a poll was done where it was virtually all against the rebrand. Funny how many of these posters have now disappeared and do not post anymore. And people say re-branding doesn't put supporters off....

The initial reaction to this has been be nowhere near as bad as it was for ours or Bristol.

gmem
Garym (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 16:43
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
Funnily enough the reaction on Shed Web isn't at all bad. I remember on here when our re-branding was done and a poll was done where it was virtually all against the rebrand. Funny how many of these posters have now disappeared and do not post anymore. And people say re-branding doesn't put supporters off....
The initial reaction to this has been be nowhere near as bad as it was for ours or Bristol.

Doesnít mean they donít go to matches, they just donít post on here

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 16:43
I think Bristol helped to soften any real animosity as people could see how bad it could be!!

This launch was originally to be a name change as well, but they've put that back due to the backlash down the M5 a few months ago. Sensible.

WorcesterSauce
15 May, 2018 16:55
Garym - true, and no doubt that is the case for some of them. Just seems strange given there was regular posters on here almost all against it. Now there seems to be much more of a mix.

USAW - I can't see that being true, given that in the justification/faqs on their website they specifically say ''Are you going to change your name to Gloucester Lions?'' with the answer being ''No, our name is not changing. Our name remains Gloucester Rugby.''. They have also launched with the branding of 'We are Gloucester Rugby'. They won't be changing the name, at least for the foreseeable future. Perhaps they thought about it but Bris put them off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/05/2018 16:57 by WorcesterSauce.

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 17:31
Quote:
WorcesterSauce

To be honest that doesn't really tally with my memory of it.

Granted the majority were unsure, but after a fairly short time wanted to get back to the day to day business of rugby, and after a bit more time just wished everyone would stop going on.

Granted there were one or two who made some grand gesture about leaving here - but there are others who i know stopped because it stopped being 'fun' - a big reason being the factionalisation and level of sheer ire it all caused.

Just my tuppence worth

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 19:48
I think after signing Cips they could call themselves " The Little Pink Ponies " and the majority of Glos supporters wouldn't mind.Good timing of news methinks.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
15 May, 2018 20:10
WS they may not now after the Bristol mess, but it was definitely planned.

Why else create a brand new logo with a whopping great Lion on it!!

BronsonWarrior
BronsonWarrior (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 13:47
I've worked in Branding for well over 15 years, so stuff like this always interests me.

I've got no issue with the rebrand overall, without going into the sort of territory that would bore everyone but me, modern logo usage now has a fundamental requirement of rendering well at extremely small sizes, so there's been a major move away from the level of detail you'd get in the likes of their old logo.

What I do have an issue with is the final design is a bit generic. It looks like something out of a video game crossed with the Premier League's current lionhead remier_League_Lion_Crown_(2016).svg">(http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/Filetongue sticking out smileyremier_League_Lion_Crown_(2016).svg). I mean, I'm all for progress and taking a chance, and when a rebrand is done well it can work wonders with a fanbase / userbase's engagement. But this is a bit of a letdown. Not awful, just... not amazing.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 19:16
When I first saw it my first reaction was "Ooh, looks like Tigers". I then had to go back and look at the Tigers' logo.

Considering clubs are always looking for new fans, it could cause a few misunderstandings.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 19:51
Quote:
BronsonWarrior
I've worked in Branding for well over 15 years, so stuff like this always interests me.
I've got no issue with the rebrand overall, without going into the sort of territory that would bore everyone but me, modern logo usage now has a fundamental requirement of rendering well at extremely small sizes, so there's been a major move away from the level of detail you'd get in the likes of their old logo.

What I do have an issue with is the final design is a bit generic. It looks like something out of a video game crossed with the Premier League's current lionhead remier_League_Lion_Crown_(2016).svg">(http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/Filetongue sticking out smileyremier_League_Lion_Crown_(2016).svg). I mean, I'm all for progress and taking a chance, and when a rebrand is done well it can work wonders with a fanbase / userbase's engagement. But this is a bit of a letdown. Not awful, just... not amazing.
I'm clicking on the link but it's directing me to Logipedia saying it's a bad title.I hope not full of viruses.Unless my fire tablet isn't compatible for it or summat.

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

BishBash
BishBash (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 21:16
Whether you like it or not, Glos have identified the strong history behind the badge, nailed their colours down and above all else it's mid May and they've got their new shirt available.

"Gloucester Rugby is who we are.
The Shield represents the history of the City.
Cherry and White Hoops remain the clubs colours.
The Lion has been part of past Gloucester Rugby logos, stemming from the clubs original use of the Gloucester City Crest.
1873 represents our History''

Maybe Warriors need to do something similar:

Worcester Warriors is who we are.
The Warrior represents the modern club.
Blue and Gold remain the clubs colours.
The Pear has been part of past Worcester Rugby logos, stemming from the clubs original use of the Worcester City Crest. (sorry to bring the p word up)
1871 represents our History''

The lack of consistency in Warriors merchandise colours does nothing to reinforce the brand. Black & Green training wear (Nottingham / Saints anyone?) plus variations of pink, brown and various shades of blue dilutes the message. Supermarkets are pretty much identifiable from colour, Orange (Sainsbury), Blue, (Tesco) Green, (ASDA) etc, WW need to look down the M5 and learn a bit about brand identity.

Rant over.

WorcesterSauce
16 May, 2018 22:45
Completely agree BB and Edward Griffiths agrees with you as well. The brand is rubbish and has failed ans The Pears is better.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
16 May, 2018 23:41
It was bound to happen, and rightly so.

The 3 Pears issue just wonít go away, because itís simply waiting for common sense to prevail.

MESSAGES->author
Grasshopper (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 01:47
I knew this would kick off our own very small band of moaners sooner or later.

Our brand hasnít failed - it would have certainly changed by now if it had not been accepted by the majority, because there would have been a much stronger backlash.

The few that hate it now only occasionally express their views here on this site, because there are few excuses to do so,whilst the majority who like our logo, or donít mind one way or the other, have better things to do with our lives than continue to whine on about a lack of pears.

I personally think the Gloucester logo is completely lacking in originality, hence the marketing blurb needed to help justify it. If I were a Gloucester fan, I would be disappointed; not because the old logo had gone, but that the new version was so uninteresting.

Finally, I with BB about the Warriors Green & Black training gear which did nothing at all for the Warriors branding - It was more aimed at promoting Under Armour.

TVM Rides Again....Again
17 May, 2018 08:34
The trouble with the pears v not pears is that the adherents of both believe that there is a massive silent majority who agree with them.

I reckon many people are just bored of it - the topic 'just wont go away' because its the same handful that keep raising it. It's a testament to the tenacity of the individual,. though not necessarily the righteousness of their cause.

But I may well be falling into the same trap.

At the end of the day people who opine on the issue tend to do it with a stoic conviction when absolutely none is warrented by available evidence. All we do is twist words to suit aour arguement in lieu of actual evidence.

But as I said - falling into the same trap.

But that's the trouble with free speech - it makes talking about stuff a pain in the @#$%& sometimes.

Anyway.

As you were.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/05/2018 12:08 by TVM Rides Again.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 08:46
Quote:
Grasshopper
I personally think the Gloucester logo is completely lacking in originality, hence the marketing blurb needed to help justify it. If I were a Gloucester fan, I would be disappointed; not because the old logo had gone, but that the new version was so uninteresting

You donít see any irony in this ?

MESSAGES->author
17 May, 2018 08:56

BishBash
BishBash (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 09:07
I'm not that bothered about the Warrior vs Pear logo, I just wish WW got behind the brand we have and run with it. With intent and clarity.

The pear speaks of heritage and local identity, but I doubt if many locals, never mind migrants to the area (me included) thought of the pear as a regional symbol. I suspect Warriors supporters are gleaned from Worcs, Shrops, Warks, Brum, maybe even Glos and further who see rugby at Worcester as represented by the Warrior mask and aren't fussed about a pear.

Can we just stick to Blue and Gold.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 09:34
But isnít that what maes free speech exciting and vibrant.

It is good that we are all different with varied opinions long may it stay the same.

JP

Ronster
Drahm for England (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 11:08
I'm with TVM too. More interested in what goes on on the pitch than what our badge says to be honest.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 12:33
Marketing opportunities are endless with Lions name- Sponsorship with Lion Bar confectionery, turn The Shed into the The Cage or Jungle, and Katy Perry belting out "Roar" over the PA system, when the team run out on to the new 4G pitch.

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 12:45
Quote:
FlipFlop
Marketing opportunities are endless with Lions name- Sponsorship with Lion Bar confectionery, turn The Shed into the The Cage or Jungle, and Katy Perry belting out "Roar" over the PA system, when the team run out on to the new 4G pitch.

Plus the opportunity for oppo fans, whose team has just beaten Glaws, to sing, "The Lion Sleeps Tonight (Wimoweh)". (Sm100)

Whatever you do, do it safely!

BronsonWarrior
BronsonWarrior (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 13:43
Apologies w4rriorz, hopefully this image link will work:

https://secure.i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03570/LOGO_MAIN_ONE_3570829b.jpg

WorcesterSauce
17 May, 2018 14:08
Quote:
Grasshopper
I knew this would kick off our own very small band of moaners sooner or later.
Our brand hasnít failed - it would have certainly changed by now if it had not been accepted by the majority, because there would have been a much stronger backlash.

I guess whether you like the brand or not is subjective, and every person will have a different idea as to what a failure constitutes. The cost of rebranding again would be relatively significant, and will never be at the forefront of the agenda as the club would essentially be admitting they got it drastically wrong, however it will happen eventually.

What is factual in all of this is that Edward Griffiths, who i'd imagine has a very good understanding on branding and on how to run a rugby club, has said the brand has failed and that Worcester's strength (in terms of branding) is in it's local roots. He has also said if he were in charge he'd have bought back the pears.

In my opinion the brand has failed - many, many people call it alien head/power ranger and you still see a good number of people wearing the pears on match days, 10 years after it was last made!

I think gloucester, with the rebrand, have managed to balance their heritage and 21st century 'modern' rugby pretty well. A shame we couldn't do the same but i continue to believe the Warriors brand has failed and this opinion has been backed up by someone who is (i'd imagine) far more in the know and knowledgable than most on here.

kiddykid
kiddykid (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 14:32
I agree with Bish Bash. Our fan base is not just drawn from Worcestr, Worcestershire or even people born in this wonderful County......but from all over.
Three Pears is Worcestershire, but if we are to attract "yoof" then we need something more in keeping the modern trends - even though they may lack a bit of heritage. However, if we consistently perform on the pitch the 'heritage' gradually becomes more irrelevant - especially to the new followers that success inevitably brings. Don't get me wrong though, I LOVE heritage but it cannot get in the way of progress.......but it should never be forgotten.
Sixth place, Europe, attacking rugby and it will all seem like a bad dream.

BishBash
BishBash (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 15:54
I don't think the warriors brand has failed, but as a warrior it's standing at the back slightly peeved rather than up front and raring to go.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 16:24
Quote:
kiddykid
I agree with Bish Bash. Our fan base is not just drawn from Worcestr, Worcestershire or even people born in this wonderful County......but from all over.

Of course our supporters come from other places than Worcester.

Consider this please:-, let us know if you disagree.

Manchester United have a badge, theyíve had changes to it over the years, and itís based on the coat of arms of Manchester City Council. Of course it is, theyíre from MANCHESTER.

Doesnít seem to put off the millions who support them all over the world does it?

No, this is just a daft proposition, what, people from Bham or Telford or Timbuktu wonít be inclined to support WORCESTER WARRIORS because their badge is, uh, just a little bit too Worcester-ish?

No, thatís just nonsense.

Look, I quite understand that some people actually like the space egg, but it seems to me that the vast majority really donít much care, and as others have quoted, when someone with Edward Griffithsí track record says Wuss is a failed brand, anyone who listens carefully may want to consider that heís right.

The people with marketing experience that Iíve run this by agree with EG, and believe me when I say 2 things will certainly occur.

Worcester Warriors WILL re-brand, sooner or later.

The Pearists wonít go away.

arkivist
arkivist (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 17:07
Bears? Dont they go to sleep all winter, only waking up when the rugby season is over? (Or have I just Le Rouxed myself)

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 18:06
I'm afraid Edward Griffiths blotted his copy book with me when he failed in persuading Greg to sell to him, so he took to social media to win favour. It was all a bit like a politician who wants to get elected.

I've no doubt Edward knows an awful lot about running a successful rugby club, possibly more than some of us. However, everything he says will always leave me wondering if it's purely because that's what we want to hear.

I doubt there is ever a sports club re-brand that 100% of the fans like. The minority always need to shout loudest to get heard.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I really don't care what the logo is as long as it doesn't look like human private parts.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 18:52
I must admit to being entirely neutral about the whole matter - which comes a bit of a surprise to me because I am both a traditionalist and Worcester born and bred.

However be that as it may, I do have to ask what criterion / criteria have been used to justify that Worcester Warriors is a "failed brand"?

To my innocent mind, branding is used to differentiate one product from the rest of its competitors. One price comparison site uses a Russian meercat; another Action Man. But they are both more or less the same product. It's not immediately obvious which is the best.

Marketing rugby is very different. A glance at the league table or at the latest match report is all that is needed. People who pay money to watch Premiership rugby want to see their side perform.

By that definition WW is a "failed brand" because it has never succeeded in being anything other than a bottom feeder / yo yo club. I don't believe that is anything to do with the logo - but I'm very happy to be put right.

Devonianwarrior
Devonianwarrior (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 19:12
Totally agree A38

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 19:32
A brand is much more than a logo.
Most business's fail because they don't know what business they are in. Worcester Warriors are no different.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 19:40
Is Falcons a failed brand still despite their season this year?

Is the Sarries brand the best in Prem due to their successful record?

Is Wasps the best as the most recognisable?

Is Tigers the best due to their history?

Against the above, itís tricky to know a successful brand.

Yes, weíve not been higher than 9th (?) with it, but weíve survived following promotions when others have failed. Success in its own merit. Will London Irish change to Reading Raiders due their recent woes with their brand?

We may have risen through the leagues with Pears on the chest but letís not fool ourselves that this could not have been done without the Pears.... itís was down to CDís money and vision alone, not a badge.

Ted, I agree the Pear supporters wonít go away. Not so sure on another rebrand happening although with your open timeframe of ď sooner or laterĒ it may not trouble either of us in another 120 years time....

Briz and Glaws have just joined the collective of those who've sold their souls to marketing devils, leaving Saints and Bath to resist. sense they will rebrand before we do again.

TVM Rides Again....Again
17 May, 2018 20:22
Quote:
Fiver
I'm afraid Edward Griffiths blotted his copy book with me when he failed in persuading Greg to sell to him, so he took to social media to win favour. It was all a bit like a politician who wants to get elected.
I've no doubt Edward knows an awful lot about running a successful rugby club, possibly more than some of us. However, everything he says will always leave me wondering if it's purely because that's what we want to hear.

Yes Fiver !

Yes!

I thought I was alone in wondering why Edward Griffithís was so sainted

WorcesterSauce
17 May, 2018 20:49
A38 you're right in that brands must differentiate themselves from competitors... which makes ours all the more weird.

Glasgow Warriors are a better rugby team and have the same brand. They even use the same #wearewarriors marketing ploy on twitter, although at least this was born out of something as their fans sing 'we are warriors', ours was thought up by some marketing folk based on..... im not sure. They certainly didnt check a better rugby team didnt use it first!

Then you also have Wigan Warriors, which to a outsider is also just seen as a very succesful rugby team.

I just dont buy that its needed and football is a testamount to that. If the product is good enough you dont need to (and shouldnt) mess with heritage etc.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 22:12
FF, we were 8th in the Guinness Premiership 2005/6.

Sale won it, Sarries were 10th!!

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
17 May, 2018 22:21
Is / was the product good enough though? One or two on here suggesting it isnít and due to a change of badge as well, Warriors are a doomed brand.

Happy to see 23 blokes on a pitch in Warrior kit improve on recent seasons and see if the brand, coloured boots, new shirts etc matters to them, or those cheering them on as fortunes improve.

Stadium naming rights have gone quiet after Gusís initial arrival.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 09:18
Glaws Bears Update....

Seemingly Glaws have agreed to fund tattoo alteration costs for supporters wanting to have old artwork updated.

Found this report in TRP, thought it was so bizarre that Iíd check Glaws boards to confirm, and it seems true.

Now we know the problem with the 3Pears issue.....elderly residents of the West Stand with the space egg tattooed on their privates should form an orderly queue at the tattoo parlour in Lowesmore and send the bill to Gus.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 22:20
Whereís Lowesmore Ted?

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
20 May, 2018 23:44
Ooh, typo! Sorry.

I was moor or less correct.

There is a dodgy tattoo shop though, had to drag Mrs Ted out only last week.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net