rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

MESSAGES->author
TRP reports Todd Blackadder comments on Premiership Playoffs
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 14:34
I’ve read some tripe over the years, but Todd Blackadder’s reported call to expand the premiership playoffs to 6 as reported by Neale Harvey today is worthy of his Rowen Atkinson’s character namesake. Blackadder wants to expand the playoffs to 6 , and argues that this in some way would be “good for English rugby”.

Tell you what Todd, let’s not stop at 6, let’s have a playoff system of 12 teams, with everyone playing each other home and away. It will take some time, so we’d start in early Sept. and run through to May. We could even call it a league and even say whoever comes top could be called “champions”. Am I making this sound too simple?

Eco Warrior
Re: TRP reports Todd Blackadder comments on Premiership Playoffs
Eco Warrior (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 17:07
That sounds like a cunning plan!

Eco Warrior
Eco Warrior (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 17:08
Had to double check the spelling on that one. Didn't want any typos!

Eastrrr Bunny
Eastrrr Bunny (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 17:56
And bottom 6 play off for relegation?

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
27 May, 2018 19:52
A plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a fox!

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 10:43
Quote:
Abmatt
A plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a fox!

I think you meant weasel. Failing that, was it a plan so cunning you could brush your teeth with it?

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 11:59
I am old fashioned - as Exeter finished the season top of the table then they are worthy champions.
If they want to have some cup competition at the end of the season do so with the top 4/6 and call it the Champions Cup or similar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/05/2018 12:18 by ROLLO .

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 13:11
Mrs A38 has just through the emotional wringer of the playoff final at Wembley - and fortunately for me come out on the winning side.

But there we have a situation where the third placed Championship team got the glory of receiving a cup with all the Wembley razzmatazz whilst the second placed team missed out on all that. True Cardiff did know they were promoted far earlier and no doubt received some token but they missed out on the big day.

I know little about football - other than that I pick up from Mrs A38 - but I do find that that set-up is strange.

But I'm with Rollo, a league is a league. Its games take place over a whole season and the final table is a reflection of all the ups and downs of that season. The best teams will come out on top.

Any play off set-up is really a hybrid of league and cup and, in the case of football, could be settled by penalties, or in the case of rugby by a rogue bounce of a ball.

The less meddling the better in my view - but of course one simply cannot discount that such playoffs generate a considerable amount of money. So they are here to stay.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 14:24
Quote:
A38
Any play off set-up is really a hybrid of league and cup and, in the case of football, could be settled by penalties, or in the case of rugby by a rogue bounce of a ball.
... or a knock-on by Tovey

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 16:56
Quote:
Patgadd
Quote:
A38
... or a knock-on by Tovey

It was a pretty rank pass in all fairness.

NW2
NW2 (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 20:52
Quote:
ROLLO
I am old fashioned - as Exeter finished the season top of the table then they are worthy champions.
If they want to have some cup competition at the end of the season do so with the top 4/6 and call it the Champions Cup or similar.

Couldn't agree more Rollo, if you're top of the league, you're the champions.
Any play off competition should be for "The Premier Cup" or whatever they want to call it.
It's win/win. It's fair, and it would still generate extra income.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 21:39
Hear, hear

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
28 May, 2018 23:25
There there

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 12:42
Based on that logic Wasps were the "Rightful champions" rather than Exeter last year.
Plus, in our promotion season, Bristol were the undisputed winners of the Championship and quite honestly deserved to go up.

So, let me hear your "Hear and theres" for that one.

We have the "Pay offs" because of the anomalies created by international windows added to the fact that the game has to be about the money for it to have a future.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 12:48
But isn’t the Play off also to try and even out international squad abscentees, or so I believed. Do we block out Prem until 6N is done and those players can return under protocol?

I do agree about league winners being winners though. Todd needs to ask how and why Bath missed out when doing so well early in the season.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 15:45
Nothing at all to do with 6N or International absentees. The effects of both are spin-off benefits or collateral damage depending on how many players your club loses,

Playoffs were created purely and simply to find extra games to rake in cash and create extra “excitement”.

Totally agree with whoever suggested that the cup completion represents an opportunity, but should certainly include the Championship clubs.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 15:52
Southstand( again ) no problem for me, Wasps were Champions as were Bristol. I am not sure whether it did us any good going up as we did.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 16:43
TT, surely be be a spin off or collateral damage, the event these outcomes belong to must happen or exist. So how can it be nothing to do with 6N or international absentees? Why would we Warriors expect better results due to weakened teams if not the case?

gmem
Garym (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 18:48
It may be me not following some of the logic above but didn’t wasps finish 14 points below Exeter at the end of the season, so why are they the rightful champions last season?

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 19:37
Quote:
Garym
It may be me not following some of the logic above but didn’t wasps finish 14 points below Exeter at the end of the season, so why are they the rightful champions last season?

Hope this helps Garym

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 20:25
Quote:
FlipFlop
TT, surely be be a spin off or collateral damage, the event these outcomes belong to must happen or exist. So how can it be nothing to do with 6N or international absentees? Why would we Warriors expect better results due to weakened teams if not the case?

My meaning was that the playoffs were created for money from extra games, not to create any levelling of the playing field during 6N/Int windows.

The fact that collateral damage/benefit exists is consequential, not part of any objective.

kiddykid
kiddykid (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 20:54
I have always thought that the play-off' were just a money making exercise whilst the blazers wrung their hands bemoaning the tiredness of the squad they send
off to the Southern Hemisphere to tire themselves out even more.....but they are here to stay.
However, I think this is Mr Bkackadder trying to deflect people from noticing that his team failed to win a top four place when they knew from the start this is the rule that Everyone has to play to. Sorry Todd, you team isn't good enough.
Next season they may make it the top six and if you finish seventh no doubt you will want to make it he top eight the following season.

Get over it!

gmem
Garym (IP Logged)
29 May, 2018 22:42
Quote:
Southstand(again)
Quote:
Garym

Hope this helps Garym

I had already consigned 17/18 season to the history books, as it is last season for me once the final is played

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net