rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

A38
...and the new season begins.
A38 (IP Logged)
01 June, 2018 08:41
[www.worcesternews.co.uk]

By my calculations / guesswork, pre-season starts the week after next, effectively the start of the 2018/19 campaign.

So in advance of that, we have some early journalistic speculation about the captaincy. This is, I suppose, the first glimmerings of the new season.

I don't have an opinion as to who should be captain. I am simply not qualified.

It would not surprise me however if GJVV is named as vice captain with somebody new to the role being appointed captain.

Patgadd
Re: ...and the new season begins.
Patgadd (IP Logged)
01 June, 2018 09:03
I am confident that the choice will be a suitable one. GJ would be fine; as a tighthead Nick would probably not be right; Millsy yes, a newbie yes.

MESSAGES->author
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
01 June, 2018 09:29
Venter

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
01 June, 2018 09:31
I think that Mills will be in with a very good shout, the only problem is would he be a starter for most games?

MSR-Worcester
MSR-Worcester (IP Logged)
01 June, 2018 10:03
Mills for me too. He's our best 12 - Te'o and Venter to fight it out for 13.

Pennell and GJVV vice-captains.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
01 June, 2018 10:37
For me a captain should be first choice in his position, starting each league match and on for 80 minutes.

I imagine this criteria might rule out mills and gjv, although until the season starts I don't know. I kinda hope Phillips steps up next season.

gmem
Garym (IP Logged)
01 June, 2018 10:59
.... and the league fixtures are out on July 6th with the opening weekend being Aug 31/ Sep 1/ Sep 2. Odds on us playing at Twickers as part of the LDH now that there are only two London clubs and one of those won't use it as a home fixture

Sheldon
Sheldon (IP Logged)
01 June, 2018 11:15
It would be very tempting for Solly to make Venter captain as he has just been captain with Duncan as coach for the Cheetahs

Malvern Man
Malvern Man (IP Logged)
01 June, 2018 14:53
"For me a captain should be first choice in his position, starting each league match and on for 80 minutes." That gives a short list of:

Pennell
Adams
Heem
Hougaard
Singleton
Mama
Van Velze
Lewis

No new signings on this list, as we don't know where they rank.

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
01 June, 2018 16:15
Venter

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
02 June, 2018 10:39
Quote:
Malvern Man
"For me a captain should be first choice in his position, starting each league match and on for 80 minutes." That gives a short list of:
Pennell
Adams
Heem
Hougaard
Singleton
Mama
Van Velze
Lewis

No new signings on this list, as we don't know where they rank.

I make it smaller than that as I don't think singleton or hougaard will play 80 minutes each week and also due to the signings and the likes of Potgieter being fit I'm not sure who will be our first choice backrow.

Offa
Offa (IP Logged)
02 June, 2018 12:49
First names on my team-sheet every week would be Lewis and Sharkey. Then again, I don't get to pick the team. I also have no idea if either are captaincy material. Also Solly has already shown that he is happy enough to pick a captain who will not start every game.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
02 June, 2018 13:56
I suppose there could be a Club Captain, a captain for each individual game (or part of it) and possibly joint captains.

But whilst we speculate the decision has probably already been taken. We know that Solomons has had at least one meeting with the coaches and captaincy must have been on the agenda.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
06 June, 2018 08:00
[www.worcesternews.co.uk]

Another article looking forward - but one I suspect was written some time ago.

Not sure that the article justifies the headline.

Still, pre-season begins next week??

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net