rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Eco Warrior
Possible?
Eco Warrior (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 07:49
The England team is performing poorly in SA, and as ever, the manager is being held mainly responsible.
After another poor autumn, including a loss to Japan, and EJ eventually goes. The RFU, fully prepared as usual have a well thought out plan (or not). Who steps up?

Dean Ryan!

Could it happen?

usa warrior
Re: Possible?
usa warrior (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 07:54
It has been mooted as a possibility already...

Especially with him beginning to throw his weight around a bit.

kiddykid
kiddykid (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 08:15
They could do alot worse!

IF the dressing room is not working with EJ then I do sometimes wonder if bringing in someone like Brad Shiels straight from another hemisphere meaning that one of their long-term English mates is ditched is a possible cause of ill feeling? REmember when the English Aussie Rugby League fiasco was on? See Bath for details.

If union is the greatest team sport in the world then importing unknowns into the fold at a whim may not be the best way to nurture 'team spirit'.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 08:31
How is Shields different from Teo? I’m not buying him being an issue at all.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 09:06
The key with Shields is that he came from Union, not League. He didn't need to learn the game or find the right position. If he's good enough, then the others in the team should be excited to play alongside him.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 09:45
Teo played for Leinster for several years before us.

England are in a slump at the moment, undoubtedly, but EJ also won 24/25 not long ago. Sacking him now is not the answer IMO.

Unfortunately I suspect this losing run could easily extend until the end of the year.

jgmorgan100
The Mailman (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 10:22
Although I don't agree with many of the calls Jones is currently making, I don't think he should be blamed for the 2nd test defeat. The players were awful imho. The decision making and the discipline were terrible, and it's not Jones's fault if players knock on in key positions or drop high balls. In my opinion the team picked was still capable of beating a good but not great SA team but they blew it pure and simple. There was a complete lack of composure and our players seem to get petulant when things go against them.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 11:29
The papers say that the RFU cannot afford the compensation to Jones for terminating his contract, a contract which I think (?) was renewed quite recently.

So he is likely to stay.

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 11:49
Quote:
usa warrior
Teo played for Leinster for several years before us.
England are in a slump at the moment, undoubtedly, but EJ also won 24/25 not long ago. Sacking him now is not the answer IMO.

Unfortunately I suspect this losing run could easily extend until the end of the year

Hate to be the pedant but 2 seasons for Matt O'Connor hardly equates to "several years"
If he loses the next three, I fully expect a very rich RFU to send him on his way and bring in a caretaker.

We often talk about "History repeating itself" didn't Eddie lose eight of his last nine before Australia sacked him ?

Plus, Premiership owners aren't happy with him breaking their players with his training methods. Feel his "Cards have been marked" already.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 13:38
When the comparison was someone coming straight in from league I think that is a fair comment. Argue over one year if you like. Teo cut his union teeth at Leinster.

Eternal optimist
Eternal optimist (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 13:54
I personally think the current form has little to do with Shields being fast tracked into the side. It’s an extension of a very poor 6N.
To me the biggest issue is the my way or no way attitude from EJ which leads to a very one dimensional team that can’t play what’s in front of them as they are either unable or unwilling to adapt. Is that from fear of EJs reprisals.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 17:32
I don't think it'll be Dean Ryan as I don't think he'll want it, I think he had a pretty cushy number atm, why would he risk it.

I think Jones must take a large share of the blame, he failed to integrate players when we were winning, his training methods seem to be causing Injuries and he seems to have no sympathy for resting players who toured with the lions, combine this with some bizarre selections and substitutions.

Not saying the players are blameless, the discipline and mistakes have been dreadful.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 18:30
Eddie needs to shoulder some blame for picking out of form players with a history of stupidity. I agree that he didn't integrate younger players when he could.

I guess from his point of view talent isn't enough at this level, nous is also required. Shields will have this from several years at a top club.

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 18:51
The players are not mentally right. They are making poor decisions, giving away really dumb penalties, players are making mistakes who rarely do, and we are walking out of interviews. Jones creates the environment so he is responsible. I think our poor form is symptomatic of them not being happy, not the cause.

kiddykid
kiddykid (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 20:16
Shields or Teo......League or Union.......players coming in from 'nowhere' not having 'worked their way through the accepted system' and ousting a tried and trusted, liked team-mate can easily upset the status quo and turn people off.
Put it another way........at work you have done everything possible to gain promotion - sales above target, achieved within budget, etc. and someone else is bought in from outside to take the position you have world hard for and cherished.
Shields or Teo, league or union.........

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
19 June, 2018 21:42
The coach is always more disposable than 23 players, so Jones will go. Clearly some ‘power struggles’ within the squad leading to playing and maybe leadership issues. Off field tantrums with supporters won’t be helping cohesion. If a clutch of players decide to not play the plan, it can be powerful in making the bosses plan look stupid and wrong.....Saints, Quins in the latest Prem season and Warriors for more seasons than should have been with the names we’ve had through our doors as DoR.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
20 June, 2018 07:30
Could it actually be so simple that some of the squad need a break. When we go to Argentina we take more of a development team. Maybe we should have left the Lions players at home and picked the team on premiership form.

I wouldn't want to make it look like we were sending out a deliberately weak team, but there is a lot of talent in England.

SOUTHSTANDWARRIOR
SOUTHSTANDWARRIOR (IP Logged)
20 June, 2018 21:28
Break ties with the Quins "gang" might be a good start.
Why he keeps picking Marler, Robshaw and co is beyond me...

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
21 June, 2018 20:58
Metrocentricity

neiljk
neiljk (IP Logged)
21 June, 2018 21:08
DR for England...can’t see it and I think he’d be a disaster

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
21 June, 2018 22:26
Come out today that Alex Sanderson and Mark McCall have England clauses in their new contracts... interesting timing.

neiljk
neiljk (IP Logged)
22 June, 2018 06:42
I’d love to see Sanderson in there. Prefer a younger English coaching team. I like EJ, but for me the England rugby team has an English coach

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
22 June, 2018 09:07
I'd like to see England appoint someone who has been a current successful head coach, rather than no experience (Johnson), relegation (Lancaster), decade out of date (Jones), preferably with experience of English players.

Got to be honest I'd still like Dean Richards to get a shot, teams always seem to grow stronger under him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net