rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Eco Warrior
Come on England!
Eco Warrior (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 07:40
I know it's not fashionable to say anything complimentary ( or is it complementary? I can never remember) about football. Phrases like "wendyball" are common but I really enjoyed last night's game. Very different from rugby but variety is the spice of life.

Any sportsman or woman wearing an England shirt gets my support so.......

COME ON ENGLAND!!!!

A38
Re: Come on England!
A38 (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 07:58
India look to be a very strong side in 20 overs cricket.

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 08:08
Eco,

the former is to pay a compliment, the latter things that go together. Complimentary can also be for free

gmem
Garym (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 08:14
In context, we have beaten two no-hopers, lost to the Belgium "B" team and couldn't beat Columbia in a normal game of football having to rely on penalties. hardly the form of world beaters.

I also find it interesting that our "softer" option opponents have all suddenly become strong and world beaters.

You would be correct in thinking I don't like football (the English penalty and the fuss surrounding it, showed everything that is wrong with football)

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 08:27
I enjoyed the result but not the game.

It displayed many of the aspects that are bad in football, acting, cheating, foul play, lack of skill and worst of all whinging and abust of the referee.

I wish you could send off the captain of a team that is constantly abusive/arguing with the match officials. It would stop it at a stroke.

Our attack was very poor until Vardy came on.

You have to say though that we are resilient, but if we can’t score goals against an organised defence then Sweden is going to be a tough day at the office.

JP

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 08:40
In footballs defence - that wasn't a representative game.

Columbia played to spoil - we have seen teams do it in rugby incidentally - so may he without sin and all that.

It was an exceptionally bad game for conduct.

yellow450
Yeller (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 09:24
Quote:
Faithful_City
I enjoyed the result but not the game.
It displayed many of the aspects that are bad in football, acting, cheating, foul play, lack of skill and worst of all whinging and abust of the referee.

I wish you could send off the captain of a team that is constantly abusive/arguing with the match officials. It would stop it at a stroke.

Our attack was very poor until Vardy came on.

You have to say though that we are resilient, but if we can’t score goals against an organised defence then Sweden is going to be a tough day at the office.

JP

I do agree, but although I enjoy rugby, I am always frustrated by the cheating that goes on that is deemed to be 'part of the game' of who can cheat better than their opponent.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 09:26
Spot on TVM, however what we saw still happens in almost every game but to a much lesser extent. World Cup is a global event watched by millions of children who will try to emulate what their hero’s did.

It will not put me off supporting England and my football club, but it is not helping the sport.

JP

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 09:43
I fully agree about the cheating which in this World Cup has reached a new nadir - if that is even possible, should it be sunk to a new low.At least four of the Columbian playerscould have been red carded for abuse of the referee. The fact that Maradonna announced that he was now supporting Colombia made the victory even sweeter.

What I have to admire is the cool, self effacing and what appears downright honourable way that Gareth Southgate conducts himself.I can think of a few rugby coaches who could learn a lesson from him and the way he conducts himself.
As for the England team you can only beat what is in front of you and they have done that. The penalty shoot-out took some bottle so credit where it is due.
If England get knocked out I will support Belgium as their manager played for my home town club ChesterFC for a short while - they called him Spanish Bob ( we Cestrians are very accurate in such matters )

B-road
04 July, 2018 09:49
There is just as much cheating in rugby than football.

The big difference is the harassment of officials, but it's creeping into rugby more and more each year. If rugby players could do it they would, they don't have some superior moral compass.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 12:28
Well done England.

Beat what is in front of you, one game at a time. Sweden will not be easy.

oh and the tedious football fans have actually resurrected the chorus of a catchy (dir hard rugby followers may deem it moronic?) song from '96 to help mobilise, a general public who wouldn't normally watch a game if their lives depended on it. That has to be good in some way- great or small as that may be.

I also agree regarding Gareth Southgate and his professional conduct. Has been a breath of fresh air.

Of course there will be those that believe association with football full stop, puts you in the amoeba pool of intelligence, an by default single you out as stupid for doing so. Nothing wrong with some national pride which just happens to be generated at present by the England football team.

I accept that there will be many who would rather gouge their own eyes out with a hot poker than admit watching a game of football, or support England. No problem with that in anyway.

Good on you Eco Warrior for bringing the point up. Looking forward to the next instalment on Saturday.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 13:32
Quote:
FlipFlop
Nothing wrong with some national pride...

FF, I endorse everything you've said, and I am (a) nitpicking and (b) going off topic, but:

There's a part of me that says "How can you be proud of something you had no hand in?" You may be glad to be English, Welsh, British, black, gay, tall, short or whatever, but since you had no control over it, how can you be proud? (A gay friend agrees with me in principle, but still goes on the Pride Marches!)

MESSAGES->author
drifter (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 14:45
I want England to do well, but just cannot take this bland game seriously. and the diving and injury hoaxes are just too much. come on reffs get a grip

MESSAGES->author
Butthead (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 14:47
Quote:
Patgadd

FF, I endorse everything you've said, and I am (a) nitpicking and (b) going off topic, but:

There's a part of me that says "How can you be proud of something you had no hand in?" You may be glad to be English, Welsh, British, black, gay, tall, short or whatever, but since you had no control over it, how can you be proud? (A gay friend agrees with me in principle, but still goes on the Pride Marches!)

That's a great point, and I'm proud of you for bringing it up (Sm6)

MESSAGES->author
Abberley (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 15:09
Quote:
Patgadd
There's a part of me that says "How can you be proud of something you had no hand in?"

I'm becoming more convinced that this is an inevitable consequence of all professional sports?

Even with Worcester Warriors, there once was a feeling that we did have a 'hand in' bringing the Club to the professional era. But today I feel less and less of that connection - other than as a 'customer'.

How many of the next generation of professional players, siphoned into academies as soon as any potential is evident, will have played at any traditional Club - let alone one associated with their current professional team?

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 16:36
Patgadd, i’m Just proud of how they are representing England at present, but glad that my choice of phrase priovided a grammatical distraction.

Eco Warrior
Eco Warrior (IP Logged)
07 July, 2018 17:03
Oh Yes! Like I said "COME ON ENGLAND"

All we need is Kyle Edmund to do the business on Djokovic and Lewis Hamilton to convert his pole position and it could be a perfect weekend.

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
07 July, 2018 17:30
I don't dislike football and actually went to watch both Worcester City and Wolves last season. Believe me, I've tried but I only know three of the England players and I've forgotten the names of two of those.

I've just spent the week with my daughter and her better half in Aberdyfi and had a surreal experience of hearing proper Welsh people cheering England.

I really must try harder eye rolling smiley

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
11 July, 2018 09:21
After a 52 year weary, directionless walk home from the pub, Football's comin' home

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
11 July, 2018 09:25
SSA,

I'm not sure who would incur the most wrath from the locals- English people supporting England or Welsh people supporting England, in the situation you mention.

As one of 2 people who had the 'pleasure' of being in Tenby RFC Clubhouse when England played SA in the RWC Final, it is clear that English baiting is a near Olympic standard sport in some, maybe even most, areas of Wales.(Sm100)

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
12 July, 2018 07:58
England clearly decided to 'stay out' for a few years more, and not come home(Sm135).

Still proud though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net