rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

A38
Ashton for Sale
A38 (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 07:54
Further evidence of salary inflation in The Times this morning which reports that Ashton will be on 450k at Sale.

Historically, this would be regarded as a high figure for a 31 year old with aspirations to be recalled by England (and therefore likely to be away for a good few Prem games) but it probably reflects the reality of the current market place.

Mind you, the report also states that Ashton will be taking a significant pay cut - from about 700k after tax - as well as forsaking some image rights to help the deal go through. Not only does he have hopes of a return to the England squad but his family have also not settled in France.

Sale are reported to have paid 100k Euros to Toulon to break Ashton's contract.

Stepping back from the detail, and bringing the overall issue back close to home, any new owners at Sixways will have to prepare themselves - and their wallets - to compete in the market as I am sure that sooner or later all players' salaries will be dragged upwards by such inflation.

ROLLO on tour
Re: Ashton for Sale
ROLLO (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 08:32
So Sale have joined Ashton in making a splash! How they are financing it all on their gates I do not know , or considering the interest the gates generate why.
As to your point A38 , it is a relevant one but I do wonder how sustainable the current rugby model is. At the end of the day rugby union does not have the mass appeal of soccer.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 08:38
They aren't financing it on gates at all. Completely reliant on their benefactor who is rather well off.

kiddykid
kiddykid (IP Logged)
04 July, 2018 08:55
I agree it's all of the above........thank goodness for a wealthy benefactor, but how long can this continue? In time, the RFU may feel they have to contribute even more for all EQP's but I am not holding my breath. In time, something has to give.

However, on the playing front, Sale were/are a difficult team to beat. Adding Ashton to the mix will not make it any easier for ANY opposition. Historically, we have seen our home game against them as a highly possible points addition but now I am not so sure - unless our new signings being added to the established players we have make a collective difference rather than the impact that one player can have, I.e. AShton. One thing is for sure, with Ashton, Yarde and Solomona they will become a more attacking team.

Fixtures out on Friday I think - can't wait!

Malvern Man
Malvern Man (IP Logged)
05 July, 2018 09:24
"One thing is for sure, with Ashton, Yarde and Solomona they will become a more attacking team."

That's true, but none of the three is noted for their defence.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
05 July, 2018 11:04
There is of course the saying "the best form of defence, is attack".

Games v Sale will not be dull.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net