rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Patgadd
Greg Allen
Patgadd (IP Logged)
07 July, 2018 07:24
Whilst congratulating Solly on assembling the best strength-in-depth squad we have had in years, let's not forget who paid for it. Amid all the confusion over who is going to take over (and despite a few snide comments about his personal interests), Greg has not stinted over forking out for these players, and that deserves acknowledgment.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Greg Allen
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
07 July, 2018 07:35
Acknowledged

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
07 July, 2018 08:13
Nope, sorry guys, I'm not feeling magnanimous.

After the "U-turn" of intent that sent DR on his way followed by the chaotic attempted "Fire sale" of last season, I can only see the realisation that it's better to sell a "going concern" rather than a club in "Free fall"

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
07 July, 2018 09:36
Oooh you're a hard man SS!

Southstand(again)
07 July, 2018 09:51
I prefer the word realist

BrumBrum
BrumBrum (IP Logged)
07 July, 2018 10:03
Agree SS you are a hard man.
We all complain about price of beer, Season Tickets & Shirts.
He is somehow paying a few millions.
I know he has more to spend, but that still a lot in my book & we should thankful of his support. No very, very thankful.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
07 July, 2018 10:41
Not only have we put together potentially our strongest squad we have potentially the best ever coaching team and academy.

So, no matter his reasoning we are in a very good place from which to grow and I agree with PG, thanks are most definitely due to the Allens

Thank you.

JP

Southstand(again)
07 July, 2018 11:14
I don't complain about beer, season tickets or shirts. I don't care whether the game is on Friday, Saturday or sunday. The floodlights don't bother me. I even find the stewards friendly.

I do start complaining when someone takes over a Rugby club in lieu of his dad and decides it's time to "Pull the plug" before it jeopardises his inheritance (Sorry pure conjecture)

I don't believe we have any rights as customers other than going elsewhere if we consider the product isn't worth what we are being asked to pay for it.

Of course I don't expect Greg Allen to throw good money after bad. What I would ask is an acknowledgment that owning a Rugby club isn't like owning any another business, in that there has to be an a level of openness and an acknowledgement of the role played by sponsors and the club's fanbase.

It was totally wrong that we had to learn of the club being up for sale from a comment at Gloucester supporters evening.

What has gone on over the past three seasons has been destabilising to coaches playing staff and support. The fact that we are now experiencing a sea change in recruitment realistically points more towards saleability than any latent ambition.

Thankfully, this continues to be an independent website inviting independent thought - and comment.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
07 July, 2018 11:46
Spot on SS. Our independence and variety of thought/opinion is what makes for a good forum.

I also agree with you that GA will not be doing this for the love of the game or the love of the club. It will be about the money and his financial future, to be honest wh can blame him.

However he has still ploughed in several £million of his own to provide for a strong (saleable)club, one which we hopefully will reap the benefits of a successful “rugby” team.

I hope that whoever takes ownership continues to invest in rugby and not “Grab the dollar” and strip us.

JP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2018 11:47 by Faithful_City.

BrumBrum
BrumBrum (IP Logged)
07 July, 2018 11:46
SS, fair point.

Devonianwarrior
Devonianwarrior (IP Logged)
07 July, 2018 13:36
Totally agree SS

BrumBrum
BrumBrum (IP Logged)
07 July, 2018 13:40
Still think we own Mr Allen a lot of thanks.
When I said fair point, meant that was SS view not mine.

Southstand(again)
07 July, 2018 16:35
In the words of one prolific poster and founder of this board ...

"Let's just wait and see"

MESSAGES->author
drifter (IP Logged)
07 July, 2018 16:46
perhaps dad has seen the effect of the young pretender and is taking control again? perhaps D.Ryan would not have left? wonder how near the truth this is?

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
07 July, 2018 17:35
Well, it's all conjecture.

All we know, from the outside, is that the squad for the coming season has been funded from Allen monies. The club, without that support, simply does not have the income to survive - let alone move up the table.

Furthermore the continuing funding was promised last Autumn when the news of the club being on the market was first heard about. That promise has been fulfilled.

I'm grateful for that.

shrewsburyman
shrewsburyman (IP Logged)
08 July, 2018 08:21
So am I and credit should be given for the money invested and for us having a premiership club to watch.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
08 July, 2018 10:05
My guess would be that Greg has been on a sharp learning curve these last 2 years. His background is in accountancy and investments (according to his biography on some website or another I once found). He has learnt that the usual tricks don't work at a rugby club and taken the necessary steps to get things back on track, whether or not much of that was his work or others advising/stepping in.

He'll be bright enough to understand selling a dog/problem child gets a lower return than a star/cash cow. Who knows, if Warriors start rapidly climbing the table and pushing for the European top table we could see several potential investors knocking on the door.

Currently, pulling the plug and walking away loses vast sums of money. Tightening the belt loses money as seen last season as the on-field results suffer. The only real option is to fund the club in the hope they achieve something.

Many moons ago, at University, I chose Newcastle United as my company to study for the reasons behind share price changes. I chose the club purely out of my interest for sport and because Newcastle were the first club to float on the stock exchange. My professor liked the choice because the results of the company were instantly in the public domain. Win a game, sign a top player, it's all common knowledge within seconds. Certainly not the same with any other company where you need to wait for the accounts. There's nowhere to hide.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net