rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Timthetinker
Youth players
Timthetinker (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 09:15
I believe we need to give the youth more of a chance next season. Players like Ollie Lawrence would excel for the mighty Worcester.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Youth players
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 09:51
He will get his chance I am sure, along with 2 or 3 others this season

JP

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
10 July, 2018 20:02
Maybe getting ahead of myself but I can see Butler and Lawrence as our starting centres in a few years. What a result that would be for the academy.

Timthetinker
Timthetinker (IP Logged)
13 July, 2018 21:17
Hate to say it mate but he wonít be at Worcester in a few years...

LiveInHope
LiveInHope (IP Logged)
14 July, 2018 06:14
Itís a shame we are so resigned to losing our good young players.
I am not as resigned, just look at Pennell & Schonert. Both came to club young, both could have moved and didnít, which is great especially during troubling times.
However they are the exception. But a bit of success on the pitch could turn them into the rule.
Iím looking forward to this season, believe we have a strong team and although not expecting us to do a Newcastle, believe we could be a force with 7/8/9 mid table at the end of the season.
Itís also nice to have the problem of too many quality players coming through. A lot better that too little or none that anyone would want.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
14 July, 2018 06:54
LiH, Without detracting from your overall point, Nick is hardly a product of our youth or academy programme. He was 22 when he came to us in 2014, and had already played Currie Cup rugby and for the SA U20ís representative side.

LiveInHope
LiveInHope (IP Logged)
14 July, 2018 08:05
Sorry Ted thought he came as a 20 year old.

Point trying to get across is that a bit of success may mean more quality, good players will stay. We will always lose players we want to keep, but hopefully as we appear to be developing more quality young players, a bit of success may mean we will hang onto more of them.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
14 July, 2018 08:14
Good points from both LiH and TT. It could be said that, for a tight head, 22 is pretty youthful, but I am biased, as he has been my choice as True Warrior for two seasons running.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
14 July, 2018 08:57
Going back to the original post here, I don't think that Worcester of late has had a bad record at all in bringing young players on. It might have been necessitated by injuries to other, older players but the likes of Shillcock have had an opportunity. Solomons also recognises the need to develop the young players through the Academy and 'A' team games.

The problem however is that it is a question of short term gain over medium term.

Avoiding relegation means that sometimes a choice has to be made between a 30 year old's known reliability under pressure and a 19 year old's exciting but unproven promise.

So, a well balanced squad will include both elements and, injuries permitting, will allow the promising young players to be brought in at the right time and in the right way alongside their more experienced colleagues.

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
14 July, 2018 09:20
I'm hoping Kitchener or clegg gets good game time this season and hill.

After signing two new centers I doubt Ollie will play in the league but maybe a bit of cup action, he's very young though, next season I think he'll break through

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
14 July, 2018 13:14
I'd say weve got a good mix of ages. Unless I'm mistaken, all of our key players are in their twenties - Pens might be 30.

Also a new coach will be looking at players in training to see who he can rely on and that's about all you need as a motivational speech for very young players.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
14 July, 2018 13:49
Quote:
dkexile
I'm hoping Kitchener or clegg gets good game time this season and hill.
After signing two new centers I doubt Ollie will play in the league but maybe a bit of cup action, he's very young though, next season I think he'll break through

I'd agree with that. Too much too soon isn't a great thing sometimes and in a year we, probably, will say goodbye to Olivier and Teo.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
14 July, 2018 19:25
Quote:
Underdog
I'd say weve got a good mix of ages. Unless I'm mistaken, all of our key players are in their twenties - Pens might be 30.

Come on, this is not rocket science research.

Chris Pennell....26 April 1987 (age 31)

MESSAGES->author
14 July, 2018 21:09
All the ages are on the post I put up

Average age of the squad is over 27, so not young.

Almost 25% of the squad is 30 or older!

JP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/07/2018 21:12 by Faithful_City.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
14 July, 2018 21:29
27 not old either. Iíd say thatís pretty good really.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
14 July, 2018 23:05
Donít think averages are much use overall.

Some front row forwards are hardly any use until their late 20ís, and can still be world class in their 30ís. Schalk Brits anyone? (37)

On the other hand, amongst the girlies youth is a positive advantage, anybody fancy Marcus Smith? (19)

No, donít talk to me about averages!

MESSAGES->author
Abberley (IP Logged)
15 July, 2018 07:09
Anyone know why AASE is moving from Worcester to Stourport?

[www.worcesternews.co.uk]

I've no idea about Stourport High but I was under the impression that Worcester Sixth Form College had a reputation for sports facilities?

How does Stourport Library compare with Worcester University?

And how will Stourport social scene appeal to the yoof when even Wetherspoons has abandoned it?

dkexile
dkexile (IP Logged)
15 July, 2018 07:13
Quote:
usa warrior
27 not old either. Iíd say thatís pretty good really.

I agree, the vast majority of the side could easily be the same for the next five years, this would greatly aid teamwork, and interplay between players and hopefully team spirit.

Let's face it there's not much between the best and the worst teams and that kind of continuity could easily help us climb up the table.

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
15 July, 2018 20:17
Quote:
Abberley
Anyone know why AASE is moving from Worcester to Stourport?
[www.worcesternews.co.uk]

I've no idea about Stourport High but I was under the impression that Worcester Sixth Form College had a reputation for sports facilities?

How does Stourport Library compare with Worcester University?

And how will Stourport social scene appeal to the yoof when even Wetherspoons has abandoned it?

Yep, no idea what this decision is about. As a student i guarentee you would rather live in worcester over stourport. I don't know what the facilities are like at Stourport but at Sixth Form they have a full on athletics track, gym, sporta centre etc. However, i'm pretty sure a lot of the training etc is done at the club, which makes the decision even more weird given that Worcester Sixth form is a 5/10 minute drive of Sixways. Perhaps they feel it is more of a geographical advantage in order to tap into brum/black country talent. Still, nice to see the club has now completely abandoned all links with state schools in it's own City.

BrumBrum
BrumBrum (IP Logged)
16 July, 2018 05:50
Stourport High is as far as I am aware a state school, thus a state school for a state school.
Sadly state schools are not a hotbed of rugby, whereas some private schools are.
Would love to see Warriors, everyother Rugby Club & RFU encourage rugby into stateshools, but that's a very different arguement as to why Warriors AASE have moved.

Worcester is not just about Worcester City.
Would not be surprised if most of our supporters live outside the city boundaries, as do most of the players & I believe owners including Cecil.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
16 July, 2018 07:15
Stourport High is indeed a state school. I don't know the reason for the move, but would welcome it as an attempt to broaden interest in the club within the county whilst outside the city limits. I'm with BB in suspecting that most supporters live outside the city, and this move may well result in an increase in long-term supporter numbers.

MESSAGES->author
16 July, 2018 08:54
Maybe the 6th Form College asked the to leave?

Seems a crazy idea unless we are moving out of Worcester under new ownership.

JP

MESSAGES->author
Abberley (IP Logged)
16 July, 2018 09:18
Quote:
Patgadd
...but would welcome it as an attempt to broaden interest in the club within the county whilst outside the city limits.

That might work if it was in addition to the Worcester Sixth Form, but I don't see how it works as a replacement?

Stourport appears to have around 70 pupils compared with 600+ at Worcester.

Worcester has access to a decent library, university and an increasing range of high-tech industry for apprenticeships.

Worcester has a relatively well-served transport hub which would enable students to commute from a wide area.

If the objective of AASE is to get more kids into professional rugby, without compromising their academic fall-back, I can't see any benefit in moving to Stourport?

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
16 July, 2018 09:24
Quote:
TeflonTed
Quote:
Underdog

I won't lie Edward: I couldn't be bothered.

Eternal optimist
Eternal optimist (IP Logged)
16 July, 2018 18:28
My lad was planning on applying for the Aase at Worcester, but now not interested in the extra travel to Stourport. Heís applying to Hartpury instead
Personally I donít get it, youíre making it more remote from the main complex increasing travel time.
Oh I presume that someone has thought this through or there must be an alteria motive.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
16 July, 2018 20:13
Quote:
Eternal optimist
My lad was planning on applying for the Aase at Worcester, but now not interested in the extra travel to Stourport. Heís applying to Hartpury instead
Personally I donít get it, youíre making it more remote from the main complex increasing travel time.
Oh I presume that someone has thought this through or there must be an alteria motive.

You must be living well south of 6Ways then, (Stourport 13 miles, Hartpury College 32 Miles).

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
16 July, 2018 20:16
Quote:
Underdog
Quote:
TeflonTed
Quote:
Underdog

I won't lie Edward: I couldn't be bothered.

Understandable in this heat.

Eternal optimist
Eternal optimist (IP Logged)
16 July, 2018 20:29
Ledbury TT train to Worcester bus to Hartpury neither to Stourport.
Plus just as important, all educational and training games etc in one location. 6 ways is a very short hop from Worcester 6th.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
16 July, 2018 23:19
Quote:
Eternal optimist
Ledbury TT train to Worcester bus to Hartpury neither to Stourport.
Plus just as important, all educational and training games etc in one location. 6 ways is a very short hop from Worcester 6th.

Grand place Ledbury.

You must have strong Wuss connections to overcome the temptations of Castle Grim.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net