rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Blue&GoldWarrior
Captain GJ
Blue&GoldWarrior (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 16:11
Back to lead from the front again. Ended the season well let's hope he can produce again!

[warriors.co.uk]

gmem
Re: Captain GJ
Garym (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 16:16
Note that the article says he is the "club" captain, which is not necessarily the same as the playing captain (from my recollection of past seasons)

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 16:19
Good decision, proved himself a true leader and emphasised it by the way he has come back from career threatening concussions.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 17:20
No complaints from me

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 18:25
Yep, sound decision.

Continuity.....have I suddenly woken up in a parallel universe?

Warriordad
Warriordad (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 20:06
Not to be negative but I will wait to see him at 8 this year before commenting too much.

8 is a strange position for us this year (lack of depth in an already weakish position) and there are arguably better players to play at both 6 and 8 in front of him.

If he is captain on game day then this is strange, for me he is not a nailed on starter. So I’m not 100% convinced.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 21:06
I agree with that. I think Cornell and Marco are both better than GJ with a better skill set and go forward. Not knocking GJ though he’s decent but in my opinion Marco starts at 6 and CDPat 8. I could see Ted Hill pushing for a spot in the near future too.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 21:06
Is du Preez more of a 6 or 8?

Answered my question AJ.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2018 21:07 by usa warrior.

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 21:07
Quote:
Garym
Note that the article says he is the "club" captain, which is not necessarily the same as the playing captain (from my recollection of past seasons)

Quote:
T'Offy
Van Velze handed armband for new season
Back row GJ van Velze has been named as Warriors’ Club captain for the 2018/19 campaign.

The South African, who captained the side from 2014 to 2017, is reinstated with the armband as Warriors embark on their 2018/19 Gallagher Premiership campaign.

He captained the side in 2015/16 and also on the opening day of the 2016/17 season before an unfortunate concussion injury kept him out for the rest of that campaign.

But last year he bounced back to full fitness and was instrumental in some of Warriors’ big wins against Northampton Saints, Leicester Tigers and Exeter Chiefs, captaining the side in the absence of Donncha O’Callaghan.

Warriors Director of Rugby Alan Solomons said: “GJ is a fantastic leader with a good rugby brain. He is calm and composed and makes good on-field decisions.

“We saw him assume the reins in the absence of Donncha last season and he did an excellent job.

“He had a great season last year and he’s done well as captain before, so I have no doubt he will lead the side well.”

Sounds very much that he is on-field captain from that.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 21:11
Quote:
usa warrior
Is du Preez more of a 6 or 8?
Answered my question AJ.

I think he’s strongest at 8 USA. His hands are unbelievable and I don’t think GJ has that. Marco has a great skill set too and the season before his bad injury he was probably one of our best players

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
07 August, 2018 21:23
Quote:
Warriordad
Not to be negative but I will wait to see him at 8 this year before commenting too much.
8 is a strange position for us this year (lack of depth in an already weakish position) and there are arguably better players to play at both 6 and 8 in front of him.

If he is captain on game day then this is strange, for me he is not a nailed on starter. So I’m not 100% convinced.

Quote:
From the article
The South African has been a consistent performer during his four years at Sixways where he has racked up 66 appearances – all of which have been starts.

That's a pretty impressive record. I wouldn't bet against him adding significantly to that tally this season.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 07:27
BB,

The article goes on to say -

Van Velze said: “It’s a privilege to be named Club captain again. Not many people get a second opportunity so it is an awesome feeling.

Being named captain isn’t just about one person – it’s about the support alongside them – and we’re fortunate to have a great leadership group who have become a very experienced group over the past four years.

“We’ve had the luxury of people like Jack Singleton going away with England and then working his way up into that leadership group position which is a credit to the Club, while also having guys like Francois Venter who has been a breath of fresh air.”

MSR-Worcester
MSR-Worcester (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 08:53
I personally think he was the only realistic candidate. du Preez will increase the competition in the back row, but it's a very attritional position so I see GJ as getting a lot of gametime either at 8 or 6.

If you were to pick a nailed on starter I think you could only have gone for Schonert, Lewis, Hougaard, Adams/Heem/Pennell. None of those are hugely vocal leaders.

MESSAGES->author
Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 09:49
I like the continuity, I wasn't too happy with the suggestion that Venter or Du Preez should be Captain as I wasn't comfortable with someone just arrived taking up that role before seeing their commitment level.

Yes they are good players but there is still a certain amount of proving themselves before being given the captaincy. GJ knows the club, knows the players and is fully committed to The Warriors so good choice for me

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

shrewsburyman
shrewsburyman (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 11:08
GJ is also very useful at the tail of the line out.

MESSAGES->author
Abberley (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 12:45
GJ and his family also seem to be settled in the area and are developing interests and careers here outside rugby - so may well be seen to offer some long-term continuity.

Warriordad
Warriordad (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 13:16
Mills is our first choice 12, by some way. And would of been my choice. His form last year and clear leadership ability put him right up there. Plus he can have a considerable impact on the game in terms of playing style.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 15:17
Not sure he iOS or more accurately will be our 1st choice 12.. there is a lot of competition.

JP

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 15:19
Definitely is for me as well. One of the most creative players we have, kicks well, great defensively.

Warriordad
Warriordad (IP Logged)
08 August, 2018 18:30
JP I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one 👍🏻

None of our other centres are strong distributors from 12. And so with anyone else there we lose width. Olivier and venter are both 13s, as is Teo at his best. In fact, we will see what Solomons is made of this year by his ability to manage that 12/13 combination.

Teo may well end up being super sub again with mills and venter starting the big games. Worcester would go back a few years by selecting anyone else at 12, mills is the most complete, consistent and influential of them all. He gives our back three space.

Only time will tell, but if it’s not him at captain this year then it should be him next year.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 07:58
Warriordad remember I did not say he won’t be.

I think the 12/13 combination will depend on the opposition. For instance if they have a weaker defence at 10/12 then Te’o is likely to be No1 choice at 12.

JP

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 10:34
I agree with JP on this one, different players for different opposition. With good distribution Te'o is pure class, we should now have that. As long as our forwards can get front foot ball our 9/10/12 channel should be as good as anyone else in the prem.

In all fairness, our entire back line is probably as good as anyone else has. With everyone fit there really isn't any weakness, every single one of them is top class.

Warrior7
Warrior7 (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 11:26
Agree completely Warriordad, will be interesting to see how Beck goes at 12 to see if we have an adequate replacement for Mills when he inevitably gets injured.

Not forgetting Will Buttler, although he is still a little inexperienced I reckon he could be pushing Mills in a few seasons time if he bulks up and improves his kicking game as he has cracking distribution and defence for a young centre.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
09 August, 2018 11:39
I suspect that we will be debating which centres to play for a while. It is almost an embarrassment of riches although of course we can never get away from the attritional nature of the position and thus the prospect of injuries.

It will certainly be interesting to see how AS handles the matter.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net