rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Latecomer
Jake Abbott - Ouch !!
Latecomer (IP Logged)
10 August, 2018 17:28
Don't know if anyone else picked up on Jake's Twitter/Instagram post a couple of days ago. Some pretty hard hitting stuff in there, seems he was treated pretty badly..........

[Quote] jakeabbott07
As the Premiership season draws closer again, Iím feeling ever more motivated to support the players through @therpa_
I left the sport on bad terms & always felt my rugby career was torn away from me. I gave my life to my club from 6 years old, followed my dreams and made it for myself. I got injured in the last year of my contract doing a great job for the club I loved, only to have that repaid to me by a contract offer of over less than half of what I was earning. This happened a month before my marriage meaning I had to sell my car, couldnít afford my outgoings and told Iíd be fifth choice the next season and never play. I worked as hard as I could to be the best and made my mark in the Premiership and represented my country. I never had a goodbye from my coaches or teammates, never got a signed shirt from all the boys, no messages of good luck or thanks. I put my body completely on the line for the team and club only to be told to leave and never come back. My personal life then also took a toll and at times I felt very lost.
Rugby is a tough old game and develops you in so many fantastic ways but professional sport can, at times be ruthless. If youíre a pro reading this in any game, add strings to your bow each season & prepare for your future. Find that passion in whatever you do.
My living is too help elite rugby players develop for life after the sport and signpost to the right people for their lives away from the field of play. My journey has tested me but has made me a better person, a blessing in disguise I believe.
Lastly, my old club have come a long way since my time. Welcomed me back in a different capacity and truly represent its players and support them fully in many ways, including a full time education officer. Itís a pleasure to be back working collaboratively with them.

[Unquote]

Am I right in recalling this would have been around the time of Richard Hill's and Charlie Little's reigns ??

He does go on to say he's made his peace with the club now (within his RPA role) so that can only be a good thing.
Personally always thought Jake had it in him to be another Jonny Arr or Cris Pennell.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2018 17:55 by Latecomer.

MESSAGES->author
Re: Jake Abbott - Ouch !!
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
10 August, 2018 17:47
Hill left in 2013.

Jake left in the DR era.

Latecomer
Latecomer (IP Logged)
10 August, 2018 18:02
Quote:
TeflonTed
Hill left in 2013.
Jake left in the DR era.

Thanks Ted, knew I could depend on you ! Apologies to Messrs Hill and Little.

By the way, have edited the quote to include the nice bit (which I missed in my original 'cut and paste' job)

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
11 August, 2018 07:59
Think the late night allegations st a taxi rank in Worcester will not have helped his cause. That said, he was a decent enough player but injury did tend to get in the way of his progress. Definitely played with his heart on his sleeve for the club.

neiljk
neiljk (IP Logged)
11 August, 2018 18:46
Another story that does the DR era no credit whatsoever. Was never a fan of DR, and this does nothing to change my view

Old 7
Old 7 (IP Logged)
11 August, 2018 19:41
Putting aside Jake's love for the club, which isn't in question. It sounds like the greatly reduced contract was the only offer he'd received from any club. This might imply that his previous contract was too generous and DR was simply offering the market rate for a squad player in that position. He's not the only player in the Premiership who has suffered at contract time due to injury so I'm not sure that this is all about Worcester but professional team sport in general.

Offa
Offa (IP Logged)
11 August, 2018 21:45
I was a DR fan, but have adjusted my esteem quite dramatically.

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
11 August, 2018 22:02
Jake had been injured all season with a quad tear IIRC. DR had brought in new backrow and was of the school that a big jumping 6 also helped, so 5th in line was probably about right. But it did just about destroy Jake's rugby career. It was a shame because he was a big favourite. If Jake was fit he could have moved club.. but choose to go and play in the states. Glad that he is now working it out in his head / career.

Wolftownwarrior
Wolftownwarrior (IP Logged)
11 August, 2018 22:04
Lets be honest... looking at the current situation with sackings in the RFU, we can all agree that DR is a poisonous element to an organisation. I am no fan of that man. Absolute nob.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net