rugbyunion
Latest News:
Come On You Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

w4rriorz1980
Glaws v Brizzle
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 21:21
Anyone else watching this? An exciting game.

Brizzle were 13-3 up @ half time. Glaws were all over the place.

2nd half,all Glaws.Countless penalties conceded by Briz.A lot of them by George Smith!

Brizzle playing fancy stuff within their own 22,they knacker themselves out,Glaws score.

Smith and Luatua looking absolutely drained.

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/09/2018 21:24 by w4rriorz1980.

Abmatt
Re: Glaws v Brizzle
Abmatt (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 21:28
Has the bubble burst? I made the same comment to Rollo that Bristol look tired and itís only the third game. I canít see how they can keep playing at that pace.

I discount the opener as that was a match with unique circumstances- back in the prem. at home to a capacity crowd against local rivals.

Granted they have played what look like 2 of the top 4 in the league but they only seem to play one way. Start fast then burn out. They never seemed at the races past 35 mins. If they continue like this they will be dissed out and easy pickings. All sides will have to do is defend well, let them burn out then counter.

Gloucester looked really good in the 2nd half. Physical, high intensity and dangerous in the backs. A different side from seasons past.

I am in no way comparing them with us, just commenting on what Iíve seen.

It will certainly be a good contest at 6-ways as I think the sides play completely different styles of rugby.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/09/2018 21:30 by Abmatt.

neiljk
neiljk (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 21:38
I was delighted with that performance. Most of the pundits seem to think Pat Lam is some kind of horse whisperer. This isnít the Pro 14 playing against Leinster B....

Sides are starting to work out the basketball tactics and in reality Bris scored a flukey try and one of their penalties was a silly gimme from a restart. Now refs are looking for Smith and realising he is infringing it takes him out the game. Not sure they have the forwards to keep it tight and we shall if there is a plan b.

Hoping for a good win tomorrow.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 21:42
Agree completely Neil.

That was a blueprint in how to beat Bristol. Tactically very naive!

Just lost both tightheads, potentially, and Smith is now a ref magnet.

Glaws were poor first half. Back to basics and completely dominant!

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 21:46
Others may be showing a flaw in Briz, but I canít shake the thought that when we come to play them, we wonít be able to exploit the same flaw.

neiljk
neiljk (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 21:47
Tigers must be wondering why they pushed Slater out, utter madness.

Polledri looked epic, but have feeling he is already capped by Italy.

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 21:52
Flip flop I agree. The top 6 sides will exploit it.

The other 5 will find it harder.

I hate to say it but I think they will beat us. BUT, as per my previous post, that depends on how tired they are if they keep playing how they are currently. I donít think they have the depth to.

I wait to be proved wrong. (We win, they donít)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 14/09/2018 21:54 by Abmatt.

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 21:54
Bris looked awful

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 21:57
Quote:
neiljk

He is. Poached him last season I think. Flats was saying in the post match that he doesnít think he would fit the mould of the current England managements style of play (not a tall, line out 6) and that they will only realise what they have missed by the time he has about 40 caps. Absolute machine tonight.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 22:12
Vui played a blinder though!

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 23:12
Best bit was Sir (Tom Foley) missing the most blatant offside ever and reducing the entire commentary team to laughter.

Didnít matter, as it happens, but if could have done.

Scary.

Severus
Severus (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 23:34
Quote:
Abmatt
Quote:
neiljk

He is. Poached him last season I think. Flats was saying in the post match that he doesnít think he would fit the mould of the current England managements style of play (not a tall, line out 6) and that they will only realise what they have missed by the time he has about 40 caps. Absolute machine tonight.
Italy did not poach Polledri, he always wanted to play for Italy having played for them in the lower age categories.

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
14 September, 2018 23:50
Quote:
Severus
Quote:
Abmatt
Quote:
neiljk

Italy did not poach Polledri, he always wanted to play for Italy having played for them in the lower age categories.

Iím sure if England had come calling it would have been a tough decision. As it happens they didnít and Italy got him. By poaching I mean England management didnít identify him early enough and capped him before we had the chance.

Freypal
Freypal (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 07:31
Quote:
TeflonTed
Best bit was Sir (Tom Foley) missing the most blatant offside ever and reducing the entire commentary team to laughter.
Didnít matter, as it happens, but if could have done.

Scary.

I did like that. Didn't the guy say something like "I'm just quick off the line".

Most blatant offside I've seen missed. Otherwise to be fair ref had a good game I thought. Let it flow nicely.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 07:39
It is not the fittest that survive it is those who adapt best and Bristol have to do that.I am more concerned with how we perform , the rest will take care of itself.

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 08:02
I donít see the first half but in the second half Gloucester were just too strong and Bristol couldnít cope with that and the pace of the game. Nor will we I suspect. Whatever you might think of Cipriani heís been pure class this season so far, and he looks bang up for it.

Warr-i-ors!
Warr-i-ors! (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 08:13
I was concerned about our fixture against Bristol but having watched them last night, now I am not. I thought they looked pretty toothless. They put together a few phases of attacking rugby but other than a very flukey, borderline forward pass try they werenít remotely impressive. As others have said they also looked very tired in the second half.

Our game plan has to be to keep possession and run then ragged defending for the first 40 - they will soon tire.

Interestingly it doesnít matter whether they lose, the Bristol supporters are still very positive about their team. Iím not sure whether thatís as naive as their team trying to run the ball out their 5 metre line at every opportunity.

Finally, did anyone else notice their tactic at the breakdown to roll away into the back of the ruck thereby forcing the opposition players to approach from the side at an awkward angle making it harder for them to clear out. Had George Smith blueprint written all over it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/09/2018 08:15 by Warr-i-ors!.

Offa
Offa (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 08:31
But anyone watching our first half against Sale would have seen nothing of concern.

I agree. I am just concerned about how we perform.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 08:52
Quote:
Warr-i-ors!
Finally, did anyone else notice their tactic at the breakdown to roll away into the back of the ruck thereby forcing the opposition players to approach from the side at an awkward angle making it harder for them to clear out. Had George Smith blueprint written all over it.

Yep, all those us listening to the BTS commentary.

NW2
NW2 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 09:01
[quote TeflonTed] "Best bit was Sir (Tom Foley) missing the most blatant offside ever and reducing the entire commentary team to laughter.

Didnít matter, as it happens, but if could have done."

I agree totally. There has been some woeful refereeing over the first couple of weeks, at this level there is so much at stake, it simply has to improve.
Hopefully with Barnes today, we should get less mistakes.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 09:02
And the ref pinged him several times, His All Black cloaking device won't work in England

JP

MESSAGES->author
drifter (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 09:10
thought Bris looked very strong in the first half. But I said at home watching the tv that they cannot keep that up and would fade. correct mr drifter I said to myself. so for us when we play them we will have to weather the storm then our running game and the pitch SHOULD take us to a victory.

Whispering_Death
15 September, 2018 09:17
Do Aussies have all black cloaks?

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 09:43
Quote:
Whispering_Death
Do Aussies have all black cloaks?

Youíd somehow doubt it wouldnít you.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 09:48
Thats exactly the problem, he doesn't know how to use them

JP

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 10:36
I remember the days when the Aussies and All Blacks were winning over the Northern Hemisphere teams all the time. It always came in the last 20 minutes. Whether it's fitness, or ability, the lesser team will get worn down and concede late on.

Bristol have some great players, and a coach with good credentials. We've seen this before with teams promoted, however the Premiership is a really hard league.

Gloucester are looking a really good team right now and have arguably the best 10 in the business, possibly worldwide right now. That result was probably one you could have received rotten odds on at the bookies, I just couldn't imagine a newly promoted team getting anything else from that Gloucester team right now.

Like everyone else, I'm more concerned with how Worcester play. Bristol could win the league for all I care, as long as Worcester show an improvement I'll be happy.

Malvern Man
Malvern Man (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 11:03
I find it very irritating that the media have Worcester as relegation favourites and Bristol as possible top six. This is based on a confident Bristol PR offensive and the fact that Pat Lam was a great player and seems to be a nice chap.

Last night the bubble burst. Yes, they have a good back row but two of them are ageing to say the least. Their finishers added nothing.

Mr Flatman got it right when he said they have the players to avoid relegation, POSSIBLY.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 11:35
Quote:
Malvern Man
I find it very irritating that the media have Worcester as relegation favourites and Bristol as possible top six.

Why irritating? On paper, it makes sense to the neutral observer. In a few weeks' time (or possibly even tonight) the picture - and their opinion - may change; we will have smiles on our faces, and they will have egg on theirs.

woodywuss
woodywuss (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 11:57
Foley could have been helped out with a call from the touch judge or AR as they are now called. Each game we look at who is reffing us. I think we may be looking at the two assistants with equal trepidation in future. They do seem to add to some poor displays by the ref,Karl Dickson in our last home game was a case in point. Maybe it is time for the RFU to up their status and skill levels?

Malvern Man
Malvern Man (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 12:41
What's irritating is that Worcester are always written down, and objectively one can see why. Bristol because of their history are expected to do better. However the newly promoted club is usually relegated immediately and only club to avoid this recently is Worcester who have done it three times. So why aren't Bristol the bookies' favourite for relegation this year?

How many Bristol players would get in our first choice team? Three, maybe four? Clearly the media don't agree.

Colonel1960
Colonel1960 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 14:10
Gotta laugh, you guys can write Bris off as much as you like, but having played 2 of the 3 best teams in the league away, i still see cause for optimism here. Granted, our exit strategy from our own 22 needs looking at, but hey, at least we're trying to play, i'd be more concerned with what you guys are bringing to the party...
Abmatt, the bubble will only burst if we get relegated.
Neiljk, glad you enjoyed the performance, plan b will follow.
Worcester Sauce, we looked awful eh? Did you not watch 1st half?.
Warr-i-ors, a flukey try huh, your posts are comical mate.
Malvern Man, the media and the bookies seldom get things wrong.

Anyway, looking forwards to your results against Sarries & Glos away, be sure to know i will return to this thread once you have been whupped twice, let's also see how things stand after 6 games, then the real banter can begin :-) x

WORRIED-WARRIOR
WORRIED-WARRIOR (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 15:21
You might not have to wait that long Colonel 1960. The way we are playing, Brizzle will have no worries at all.

Colonel1960
Colonel1960 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 16:42
Quote:
WORRIED-WARRIOR
You might not have to wait that long Colonel 1960. The way we are playing, Brizzle will have no worries at all.

Hmmm, you guys should really be worried,and i'm not having a go. Your last 2 performances have been very average, and losing at home to an average Falcons side who had 2 in the bin must be worrying...
Away now to both Leicester And Exeter before you meet us, we're at home to Quins and Saints. This is a critical few weeks for both our clubs, interesting times...

Threepear
Threepear (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 16:47
Briz have just as much to worry about colonel, Im looking forward to the battle for the wooden spoon, see you at relegation time!

Colonel1960
Colonel1960 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 16:51
Quote:
Threepear
Briz have just as much to worry about colonel, Im looking forward to the battle for the wooden spoon, see you at relegation time!

Yep i agree, hence my statement about let's see how things lie after 6 games each... To be honest, am hoping both Bris and Wuss survive, and see Sale or Newcastle down. Tough league eh?

Threepear
Threepear (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 16:55
Agreed!

JamboBris
JamboBris (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 17:13
Would be nice to actually play your lot without becoming a nervous wreck watching it!

Warr-i-ors!
Warr-i-ors! (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 17:15
Good to see youíve calmed down now Colonel. Itís only sport.

FlipFlop
FlipFlop (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 19:32
Based on today, Briz will be out of site by the time we wake up in the fixture and even if they tire, there will be too much to catch up again UNLESS all involved get things sorted ASAP. Solly needs to understand the Honeymoon is over too as many of the recruits and most of the Coaches are his!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/09/2018 07:29 by FlipFlop.

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
15 September, 2018 23:39
All warriors fans can hope for is we can't play any worse than today. I'm personally not convinced by what I've seen so far of Bristol, this league will only get harder as the decent teams shake off their rustiness. We're both the worst in the league from what I've seen.

I too would love for Bristol and Worcester to play off for the best of the mid-table, I just can't see it right now.

AGS
AGS (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 13:29
Quote:
Malvern Man
How many Bristol players would get in our first choice team? Three, maybe four? Clearly the media don't agree.

And how many Worcester players would get into the Bristol 1st team? One at best

Whispering_Death
16 September, 2018 13:54
Hmmm off the top of my head, Schonert, Singleton, Fotialofa, Lewis, Hougaard, Weir or Lance, Adams, Heem and arguably Mills and Teo when fit. One at best...brilliant.

Colonel1960
Colonel1960 (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 17:03
[quote Whispering_Death]Hmmm off the top of my head, Schonert, Singleton, Fotialofa, Lewis, Hougaard, Weir or Lance, Adams, Heem and arguably Mills and Teo when fit. One at best...brilliant.[/quo

Lol, i won't name the 12 or 13 of ours who would get into your side, time will soon enough tell

WorcesterSauce
WorcesterSauce (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 17:29
1 "at best" is clearly a wind up effort. Singleton, Adams, Schonert, FH, Heem and Adams would. Not sure on our centres tbh. They havent exactly inspired this season. Weir/Lance over Madigan is a tough one but Madigan probaby edges it.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 17:38
Quote:
WorcesterSauce
1 "at best" is clearly a wind up effort. Singleton, Adams, Schonert, FH, Heem and Adams would. Not sure on our centres tbh. They havent exactly inspired this season. Weir/Lance over Madigan is a tough one but Madigan probaby edges it.
Yep! 2 Adams are better than 1!

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

Warr-i-ors!
Warr-i-ors! (IP Logged)
16 September, 2018 18:12
My money is on Bristol winning the Premiership and Champions Cup (even though they arenít in it). Thatís how good they are.

Whispering_Death
16 September, 2018 18:21
I wouldnít name them either mate as there arenít anywhere near that many. Right now both teams are absolute shite anyway.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net