rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Underdog
Beating Exeter (and beyond)
Underdog (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 11:36
Procrastinating here...

1) Should we rest players for the Chiefs game and wrap them in cotton wool for the Bristol game? Not necessarily wholesale changes, but one or two who put in a huge shift against Tigers. Bris did this against Sarries and it seems to have worked for them.

2) To beat Exeter, we need to have better maul defence than we've seen all season (from any team). I remember a while ago we deliberately didn't engage the maul and had some limited success with it. Why don't more teams do it against them?

WarwickEastie
Re: Beating Exeter (and beyond)
WarwickEastie (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 12:01
Really difficult - as Solomans has kept pretty much the same guys together over the first 4 games, arguably some are due a rest anyway.
I wouldn't stick a reserve team in and get thrashed though.
People at the top of my list for a rest and who we have decent cover for:
Mills, Hougaard, Lewis, GJ, CP, Heem

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 14:13
I would suggest that, if asked, no player from 9 to 15 would want or feel the need for a rest. Having said that, FH might have a break clause in his contract.

A38
A38 (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 14:52
It's an interesting dilemma: momentum vs avoiding injury ahead of a crucial game.

AS did say at last week's meeting that they would select the strongest possible side for Bristol. That would presumably include Te'o as he will be expected to be fit by them - given that he attended the England get together.

One also has to be realistic about the chances of bringing anything back from Devon.

Another factor to take into consideration is that Bristol is the last game in a block of six and key players can be rested / rotated during the "other" games.

My inclination would be to save a number of key players for Bristol especially in the abrasive positions of front row, back row and centre.

Who's be a D of R?

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 15:44
For me, if Schonert is so injured he missed an England camp, he's definitely out even if he recovers in time. Sam Lewis is another. Ted Hill surely the man for the moment.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 15:48
There is no way you can pick a weakened team and tell them you are only playing because we want to keep other players safe and we expect you to lose.

That would be a dreadful way to manage and motivate the squad especially as there are another 17 games to go after Exeter.

Put out your best side and tell them to go out there and WIN!!

JP

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 16:09
The only change I'd make for Chiefs is to possible look at the forward/backs split on the bench as our piano shifters are probably going to be blowing hard in that last quarter.

MESSAGES->author
25 September, 2018 16:14
A very good point

2 backrow on the bench and all 5 will hav to be everywhere

JP

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 16:26
We can’t have the mentality of prioritising games. We should be going there to win, after all we did last year. I don’t have an issue with rotation but not to prioritise a future game. Six points from the next two games then they get a rest.

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 16:49
Quote:
Faithful_City
There is no way you can pick a weakened team and tell them you are only playing because we want to keep other players safe and we expect you to lose.
That would be a dreadful way to manage and motivate the squad especially as there are another 17 games to go after Exeter.

Put out your best side and tell them to go out there and WIN!!

JP

Precisely - unless there is a NEED to rest a player (either niggle or just plain knackered) we should put our best side out

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 16:56
Ayrton Senna once said "If you no longer go for a gap which exists you are no longer a racing driver". I'm sure he'd want us to put out our best team and try to beat Chiefs.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 18:19
Quote:
Fiver
Ayrton Senna once said "If you no longer go for a gap which exists you are no longer a racing driver".

.. and look what happened to him (Sm159)

Inbox
Inbox (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 19:20
If my memory serves me correct, Exeter took the same stance and rested prominent players last season when we rocked up to Sandy Park.

I agree with resting (or rotating) players in the squad but if the players want to play then I can understand AS choosing his strongest team to start.

We will only get stronger by challenging everyone and who knows maybe Mr Baxter will make the same mistake as last year with a “softer” team selection.

Stranger things will happen...

Malvern Man
Malvern Man (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 20:10
The splendid Mr Baxter doesn't make many mistakes!

Sheldon
Sheldon (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 20:18
My suggestion is as follows

1 stuff Exeter
2 then stuff everyone else

Why not?

SOUTHSTANDWARRIOR
SOUTHSTANDWARRIOR (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 20:37
[quote Sheldon]My suggestion is as follows

1 stuff Exeter

Why not?[/quote

Best tactics i've seen of them all.
Play like we did in that first 50 mins against Leicester, and we can beat anybody.
We need that killer instinct and remorseless approach every game.
6 + points from the next two games and we will be sitting pretty!

SOUTHSTANDWARRIOR
SOUTHSTANDWARRIOR (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 20:37
[quote Sheldon]My suggestion is as follows

1 stuff Exeter

Why not?[/quote

Best tactics i've seen of them all.
Play like we did in that first 50 mins against Leicester, and we can beat anybody.
We need that killer instinct and remorseless approach every game.
6 + points from the next two games and we will be sitting pretty!

centrethere
centrethere (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 21:04
If Shonnert only had a dead leg for a couple of days, no need to rest. (He's had a rest missing the England camp). By the other side of the token, Teo went to the England camp, so will be fit for Exeter. Simples.

Lewis may well injured so a changed needed there - Alafoti in I would assume.
Waller may come in and Niall Annett - if ear infection? gone to replace the unfortunate Joe - who need s more time practicing with the replacement forwards on the throw in...

Oh and will Venter or Teo be on the bench - Teo.

Zulu Warrior
Zulu Warrior (IP Logged)
25 September, 2018 22:09
We obviously need to go to Exeter on the back of an excellent away win and three very narrow defeats, and try to win. We need to field our strongest team. I can’t imagine many in the squad would want to be rested after Welford Road and against a team of Exeter’s quality. The time to focus on Bristol is after Exeter. Anyway, how is Bristol any different to all the other teams in the Premiership these days?

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
26 September, 2018 06:01
Seems like a firm no then. I was not arguing for a weakened team told to they were expected to lose (ridiculous interpretation). Simply that we rotate two or three players. I'm assuming that the Tigers win took a lot of energy out of the team, or surely we would play like that all the time.

Anyway. Maul defence anyone?

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
26 September, 2018 06:44
With Lewis out, which I'd presume he is, I'd give Kirwan and opportunity.

More of an out and out 7 than Hill or Mama (imo) and noticably came off at half-time on Monday night.

MESSAGES->author
26 September, 2018 06:47
Kirwan has not payed any rugby, move Mama to 7, Cox to 6 and Fau’siliva on the bench

JP

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
26 September, 2018 06:51
He's played as much as Cox has to be fair.

Whispering_Death
Whispering_Death (IP Logged)
26 September, 2018 06:52
I never understand why we think our players should be so tired every time they play well. Exeter and Sarries must be exhausted in that case. If we want to be a top six team we have to play like that every week.

MESSAGES->author
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
26 September, 2018 06:55
Go for the win from kick off with the best team available every game anything else would be suicidal on there being no weak link this season

gmem
Garym (IP Logged)
26 September, 2018 06:57
At a Gary gold meeting, he said part of the problem was that as we won so infrequently that the players found it hard to come back down to earth the following week and concentrate , hence why we didn’t get runs together. I guess it’s the old maxim of success breeds success

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
26 September, 2018 07:31
Quote:
Garym
At a Gary gold meeting, he said part of the problem was that as we won so infrequently that the players found it hard to come back down to earth the following week and concentrate , hence why we didn’t get runs together. I guess it’s the old maxim of success breeds success

Same could be said of the fans!

kiddykid
kiddykid (IP Logged)
26 September, 2018 10:48
Putting Matt Cox in would not weaken the team. He has a good attitude and moves the team forward very well indeed. He would not let us down, so, perhaps Sandy Park is his opportunity.

Inbox
Inbox (IP Logged)
26 September, 2018 11:24
Quote:
Malvern Man

Yes but like all of us, he is human

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 26/09/2018 11:25 by Inbox.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
26 September, 2018 21:45
Quote:
Inbox
Quote:
Malvern Man

No, superhuman, even Mrs Ted recognises him, “ he’s the one who’s always just had his hair done....good looking bloke”.

Loves her rugby does Mrs Ted.

Inbox
Inbox (IP Logged)
27 September, 2018 19:44
Quote:
TeflonTed
Quote:
Inbox
Quote:
Malvern Man

No, superhuman, even Mrs Ted recognises him, “ he’s the one who’s always just had his hair done....good looking bloke”.

Loves her rugby does Mrs Ted.

Glad “Mrs Ted” admires Baxter’s polished looks but let’s hope he wears his cape this weekend and makes the odd comical decision that our boys can take advantage of and we can “Marvel” at from the stands...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net