rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Albionwarrior
OUR MARQUEE SIGNING FOR NEXT SEASON
Albionwarrior (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 11:11
Simple

Instead of taking the chance on someone who primarily comes for the money , and we will be unaware how he will perform, or be available before he arrives ...

Make our job simple and make a good sporting decision.

If the rumours are correct and he is planning to leave us for France next season.

Make one of our Marquee signings someone we already know and does regularily perform and produce for us

******************* BRYCE HEEM *********************

It's a No Brainer in my view

TVM Rides Again....Again
Re: OUR MARQUEE SIGNING FOR NEXT SEASON
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 11:23
There's about 3 rumors doing the rounds on Bryce at the moment.

A premiership one will be along at some point to make it 4.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 11:38
I thought he was ineligible as a marquee player, but it appears not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2018 11:41 by Patgadd.

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 13:23
I’ve heard France or home via japan.

I agree we should do our best to keep him, as replacing both him and josh will be near impossible.

But I’m sure if he wanted to move closer to home he’d leave with our best wishes

just got into rugby
Big Bird Warrior (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 13:40
You only need a marquee player if you are paying over the Salary Cap!

1 has to be someone new to the Premiership.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
09 October, 2018 17:07
Quote:
Big Bird Warrior

Yes.

Ineligible.

Blue&GoldWarrior
Blue&GoldWarrior (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 09:06
I would hate to lose him he's one of the best imports we've had. Give him what ever he wants to stay, as you say to lose him and Josh would be a big blow.

But I can completely understand why he would want to move closer to home or make a bit more money from France. As long as he doesn't go to another Prem team!

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 10:16
Quote:
Big Bird Warrior

There is an argument that you should make use of both of the marquee (or "excluded", to use the proper term) player exemptions, even if you are not spending to the cap, to give you cap space, should you need it for whatever reason.

The first excluded player has to be,

Quote:
Regulations
(i) ... a Player of the Club for at least two full Salary Cap Years prior to the Salary Cap Year in which he is nominated as the Excluded Player; or
(ii) ... not ... a Player of any Club during the previous Salary Cap Year, other
than a Player who (A) qualifies under Regulation 3.3(c)(i) or (cool smiley has only
been a Player of a Club during the previous Salary Cap Year as a replacement
for an Injured Player following dispensation under Regulation 5; or
(iii) ... a Player (but not an Excluded Player) for the Club in the previous
Salary Cap Year and was not a Player for any other Club for at least one Salary
Cap Year immediately prior to joining the Club.

The second excluded player has to be,

Quote:
ibid
(i) ... not ... a Player of any Club during the previous Salary Cap Year; or
(ii) ... that Club’s second Excluded Player in the previous Salary Cap Year.

Whilst Teo leaving will, in all likelihood, free up the second excluded player spot, Bryce is not eligible to fill it.

The problem with making Bryce the first excluded player is, what happens to the player already occupying that spot? (Francois? Nick?)

As others have alluded to, the real problem, however, is that whatever we might offer Bryce, if he wants to earn more in France or Japan, and/or move nearer to/back home, we are unlikely to get a deal: it takes two to dance the contract tango!

Decisions, decisions.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 10:41
Whilst still ineligible as a Marquee player , as someone has said on another thread, we somehow need to get Weir signed up to a longer contract.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 11:20
Aren’t we quite la way under the current salary cap? I remember ready last season that we were way underneath it by a long stretch so now with these new guys coming in,hopefully it might not even come down to making him a marquee or excluded player and pay him what he wants without having to move on anyone else on.

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 11:21
Quote:
ROLLO
Whilst still ineligible as a Marquee player , as someone has said on another thread, we somehow need to get Weir signed up to a longer contract.

Indeed. He's shown already what a great signing he was. There isn't really anything getting in the way of him staying, other than agreeing terms, as Scotland are prepared to pick players who play outside of Scotland.

He seems to have settled in really well and be enjoying his rugby, so hopefully something will get sorted sooner rather than later. Him, Jono, Shilly and the Academy lad mean our fly-half cupboard is not just properly stocked but the best it's ever been.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2018 11:23 by Brummagem Bertie.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 11:24
The silly money we were offering Tuilagi,with T'eo at the club, we're not exactly hard up.Not in the wages department anyway.

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 11:40
Also there are some players that are on good money that haven’t played for a long time like Potgieter and Kirwan. I’d offload Potgieter and replace him with Ted Hill on a full time contract which would be considerably less cheaper in terms of salary which would help us invest in other areas of the squad or keeping the likes of Bryce.

Also I could see Olivier possibly retiring at the end of the season and Olly Lawrence going on a full time contract also freeing up some funds

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 12:00
Quote:
w4rriorz1980
The silly money we were offering Tuilagi,with T'eo at the club, we're not exactly hard up.Not in the wages department anyway.

Was that fact, or just rumours to bump up his new contract

Eternal optimist
Eternal optimist (IP Logged)
10 October, 2018 12:30
Money may not be everything in Bryce’s life.

Worcester Way
Worcester Way (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 08:39
I’d sign a Worldie Number 8 with the T’eo money but if we lose Bryce and Josh we’ll need a properly good winger too.

When does our NZ second row arrive again?

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 08:50
Later this month, but realistically I can't see him playing before December. He needs some R and R, he needs to find a pace to live and he needs to catch up with the training.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 09:44
Quote:
Worcester Way
I’d sign a Worldie Number 8 with the T’eo money but if we lose Bryce and Josh we’ll need a properly good winger too.
When does our NZ second row arrive again?

There’s a few good wingers coming off contract from the Southern Hemisphere this season. Waisake Naholo being one of them.

Agree on the number 8 too. Liam Squire,Victor Vito and Jack Conan are 3 that spring to mind that will be out of contract in the summer.

I’d spend whatever money we have on a top lock and 8 and hope that Bryce and Josh stick around

Ronster
Drahm for England (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 10:41
Number 8 yes. Perry will replace Josh.

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 11:25
I think it will depend on whether Josh will be picked for the autumn internationals. Wales are pretty blessed with backs,especially in the back 3. They have

George North
Hallam Amos
Steff Evans
Leigh Halfpenny
Tom Prydie
Alex Cuthbert (is he still eligible)

I’m just hoping on Josh staying more than anything...

Worcester Way
Worcester Way (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 11:49
Getting Duncan weir to commit to a longer contract must be a priority too, so nice to have a 10 who can function well at this level

Southstand(again)
Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 12:11
Forget the Marquee signing and use the money to do whatever it takes to get Duncan Weir on a three year contract extension.

Weir's game management and kicking is everything we have been missing season upon season. He may not be flashy but he brings the best out of every player around him.
After five starts he's currently third top scorer in the league with 61 points.

I'll be really grumpy if he is only with us for a season.

Sheldon
Sheldon (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 12:12
Patgadd - I don't think Fatialofa has been playing much for Auckland. He certainly had a month or so off in Aug/Sept and may not have played since. Auckland look likely to get through to the semis but it is all over by the end of October anyway. He is too good to leave out . He is like Houugard - if his plane lands before Saturday lunchtime he should start anyway!

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 12:34
I agree on what’s said. We have quite a few good players out of contract in the summer. I think theses guys are up in the summer.

Schonert
Singleton
Heem
Adams
Humphreys
Waller
Bower
Barry
Phillips
Weir ?
Pennell ?
Kerrod
Annett
Kirwan
Potgieter
Mama
Faosiliva
Van Velze
Williams
Cox
Te’o
Baldwin
Arr
Olivier
Howe
Van Breda

That’s pretty much the whole squad up for renewal. A lot of work to be done,but the squad seem a really tight knit group and enjoy each other’s company from what I know. Hopefully that with with a decent pay will keep them together adding two or three really good players on top of that. Exeter have proved that keeping the team together without too many huge stars has worked for them and brought through the likes of Slade,Nowell,Cowan-Dickie ect has helped with loyalty to the club.

We could potentially be in that position with Ted Hill,Ollie Lawrence,Bec Cutting,Will Butler and Nick David coming through.

I really like this squad a lot and the team spirit looks excellent. Hopefully the majority stick around.

MESSAGES->author
Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 12:59
Weir will be eligible to be a marquee player next season (rule 3.3 c)iii) applies from the link below unless I have read it wrong )
(C) A Club shall only be entitled to nominate a Player as their first Excluded Player who:

(iii) has been a Player (but not an Excluded Player) for the Club in the previous
Salary Cap Year and was not a Player for any other Club for at least one Salary
Cap Year immediately prior to joining the Club.

Salary Cap Regs

Do we actually know who are our 1st and 2nd Marquee players? Te'o and Hougaard? Confused...

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

B-road
11 October, 2018 14:11
Quote:
AJWarriors
I agree on what’s said. We have quite a few good players out of contract in the summer. I think theses guys are up in the summer.
Schonert
Singleton
Heem
Adams
Humphreys
Waller
Bower
Barry
Phillips
Weir ?
Pennell ?
Kerrod
Annett
Kirwan
Potgieter
Mama
Faosiliva
Van Velze
Williams
Cox
Te’o
Baldwin
Arr
Olivier
Howe
Van Breda

That's scary

MESSAGES->author
11 October, 2018 14:42
Negotiations will have started already with the ones that are wanted for next season.

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 15:58
The negotiations will be the perfect opportunity for the new owners to register their intentions, and could form the catalyst for ST Renewals. Signing Hill & Lawrence to deals whilst very important will not on their own convince me. I have a certain nervousness.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
11 October, 2018 17:30
Didn't Baldwin sign a three yr contract last season? I recall being somewhat surprised at the length at the time.

MESSAGES->author
knightstemplar (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 06:50
Quote:
ROLLO
The negotiations will be the perfect opportunity for the new owners to register their intentions, and could form the catalyst for ST Renewals. Signing Hill & Lawrence to deals whilst very important will not on their own convince me. I have a certain nervousness.

Agreed re-signing players, whatever a Marquee player is these days and a few signings to top the squad off will show the owner(s) intentions and the money supposedley available.

Very much put your money where your mouth is I guess

gmem
Garym (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 11:35
Went to a dinner last night where Gatland was the main speaker and then had a chat with him st the end. We can kiss goodbye to josh at the end of the season, very highly rated by Garland, who knew a surprising amount about Worcester. Lewis not on his radar. He did say there is one back 3 premiership player who will be announced in the squad on Tuesday which will cause some surprise

MESSAGES->author
12 October, 2018 11:44
GaryM I hope he thanked the Warriors for developing a player the regions seemed to have dismissed.

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 12:49
Quote:
Garym
Went to a dinner last night where Gatland was the main speaker and then had a chat with him st the end. We can kiss goodbye to josh at the end of the season, very highly rated by Garland, who knew a surprising amount about Worcester. Lewis not on his radar. He did say there is one back 3 premiership player who will be announced in the squad on Tuesday which will cause some surprise
Pennell,but i highly doubt it.

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

gmem
Garym (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 12:51
Quote:
Powick Eastander
GaryM I hope he thanked the Warriors for developing a player the regions seemed to have dismissed.

He did, he was very complimentary about Worcester. He did say he had investigated what had happened in the past and the main. Invent was that scarlets had too many options in the back 3 and josh was sutpluscyo requiremenys

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 12:56
Quote:
w4rriorz1980
Quote:
Garym

Not sure how Pennell would fit into the Wales squad??

gmem
Garym (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 13:38
Can’t be pennell as he has already been capped by England. I didn’t say the player was from Worcester. Just that he was from the premiership

Eternal optimist
Eternal optimist (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 13:52
Aled Brew from Bath perhaps

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 14:06
Quote:
usa warrior
Quote:
w4rriorz1980
Quote:
Garym

Not sure how Pennell would fit into the Wales squad??
Oops.I'm half asleep today!

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 15:29
If Josh is pretty much gone then this guy is off contract this season...with Solly’s SA connections I’d love him to sign him. [vimeo.com]

Only thing that would bother me is that we would lose him for the Rugby Championship if he was to be selected

Freypal
Freypal (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 15:51
I agree with the comments on here - this is where the new owners have to show their intent. Some hugely important names on that list.

I think it inevitable that some, like Aams will go. Others like Schonert, Singleton, Weir, etc we have to retain and build.

MESSAGES->author
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 16:05
Tonks, Humphries, Howe and Hammond are all worth sticking with if Josh goes.

JP

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
12 October, 2018 16:07
Build around guys like Schonert,Singleton,Millsy and Lewis. They could be the solid core of the club for years to come. Hill will be in there sooner rather than later and we will have an English core of players similar to Exeter. Ollie Lawrence and Will Butler won’t be too far behind that either.

Those guys are paramount to be kept at the club in my opinion. For me the dead certs to make sure they’re kept on are in terms of importance

Schonert
Singleton
Heem
Weir
Humphreys
Mama
Pennell (if he’s up for renewal)
Waller

Those guys for me are solid starters with Humphreys pushing hard for a start that could form a really good foundation. With guys like Lewis,Millsy,Venter,Taufete’e,Black,Du Preez,Lance and Beck under contract for next season already we can really add something if we recruit/retain well

Offa
Offa (IP Logged)
13 October, 2018 07:42
This will be the first litmus test for our new owners.
The only real info we have to go on is a desire to nourish and use our academy. This could be a reasonable and sensible strategy which more and more clubs will start to use. It could also be a way of cost-cutting if the finance isn't there.
I await developments with interest and a few nervous willies.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net