rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Hill Warrior
The number 8
Hill Warrior (IP Logged)
20 November, 2018 21:26
Does anyone know if there any truth ( rumour) that 8 players have decided to move on with pre contracts with other clubs..
Be interesting to see who and if the new owners put their money where their mouths are and bring in replacements or bring through academy players
The only 2 I’ve heard are Singleton to the franchise and Bryce to a French side

HW

MESSAGES->author
Re: The number 8
Faithful_City (IP Logged)
20 November, 2018 22:23
The new owners do not have the money to retain players or replace them. Our only source is the academy, which will dry up once we sell the "P" shares and step onto "the slippery slope" to oblivion.

I hope you have joined WRFC for your future local ruugby club.

JP

Latecomer
Latecomer (IP Logged)
20 November, 2018 22:31
Quote:
Hill Warrior
Does anyone know if there any truth ( rumour) that 8 players have decided to move on with pre contracts with other clubs..
Be interesting to see who and if the new owners put their money where their mouths are and bring in replacements or bring through academy players
The only 2 I’ve heard are Singleton to the franchise and Bryce to a French side

HW

Keep up HW !!, latest rumour is Jack Singleton would be going to Sarries.
Personally regard it as 'fake news' or complete speculation until something is officially reported.

Same with Bryce Heem, reading between the lines several months ago, he was getting a little homesick and might want to stop off in France or Japan on the way home to top up the pension pot ?
However, he does seem more settled now and with a fellow New Zealander arriving in Fatialofa, who knows what might transpire.
Bryce certainly likes the way we are playing and seems to increasingly enjoy the crowds affection !!

Lets wait and see...........

Offa
Offa (IP Logged)
20 November, 2018 22:37
I don't particularly believe in pre-contracts. Either you are allowed to talk to a player or you are not. I think a lawyer would make short work of a pre-contract.
However, we have a frightening number of players whose contracts expire at the end of the season.
We will soon know what our direction of travel is. The ownership is by far and away the biggest piece of the jigsaw - or rather the entire foundation. I keep my fingers crossed, because that is all I can do.

MESSAGES->author
Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
21 November, 2018 08:02
Rollo is the man to ask... He posted on the Jack Singleton thread about the 8

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
21 November, 2018 12:27
Roll is normally well informed. He did post that he had heard that 8 had signed pre-contracts.

With out trying to court ‘internet prestige’ if this is true and comes to pass I still stand with my gut feeling that, whilst this season may be our best ever in the top tier, it will be the start of darker times to come.

With no statements from the new owners, their actions in the coming months will speak volumes as to the clubs future and their capacity/intent to progress the club or slowly wind it up.

The info that BB? digs up from companies house leads me to suspect the latter and that in the years to come the club will disappear and be built on.

TVM Rides Again....Again
TVM Rides Again (IP Logged)
21 November, 2018 12:39
And speaking as someone who works in property - it is my opinion that that is a really weak business plan!

It's already paying top dollar for land that will cost a fortune to hold - in an industry where profit is more precarious than many imagine - and there are easier and faster ways to make money by constructing and selling buildings in the market currently.

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
21 November, 2018 14:11
I don’t doubt that.

But GM’s past business acumen doesn’t appear that strong either.

A weak plan is better than no plan

bertiewusster
bertiewusster (IP Logged)
21 November, 2018 17:08
Jacob R-M does not seem to think so.

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
21 November, 2018 20:58
If there are 8 who are already committed to leaving how big a blow this will be depends on the 8.

Someone mentioned a rumour that Matt Cox was looking at France. If he can get a lot more there than at Warriors he is at the stage of his career where I would not begrudge him that.

We already know that Josh and Bryce are almost certainly leaving. Let's suppose Dewald is also off. That would be 4 from 8 and not really anything earth shattering above what we already suspect.

Yes, it might be worse but we'll just have to wait to see.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
21 November, 2018 21:01
Could imagine people like Faosiliva to be going. He probably has signed a pre contract with a French team. I’d like to think the 8 that are off are fringe players

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
22 November, 2018 07:22
Well, it's not Schonert, you'll be pleased to hear.

[www.worcesternews.co.uk]

Underdog
Underdog (IP Logged)
22 November, 2018 07:32
I'm pretty sure it won't be Lewis, Mills, Hougaard or Nick (thanks usaw). Those are four of our big 5 in my opinion, with Bryce the other one.

Would anyone change that top 5 in terms of who is more important? Weir maybe?

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
22 November, 2018 07:48
Weir is becoming as important as anyone else in my view.

I would guess those thinking of leaving are fringe players. BB named four players he thinks will leave, I'd add Ben to that to make 5.

I love Nicks quote about perhaps going to France in his thirties to get fat and eat cake & croissants.

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
22 November, 2018 08:11
Both Ben and Alfie are good shouts, so that could be up to 6 of the 8 and still nothing that would represent an unwelcome surprise, IMHO. It's all just speculation at the mo, though.

I also loved Nick's quote about going to France and if he stays with us for another 5 years before he leaves I think he will go with every Warrior's fan's best wishes.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
22 November, 2018 08:46
This is just a guess of the players that are off contract that are in my opinion “fringe players” that possibly could have signed elsewhere already

Faosiliva
Coxy
Kirwan
Potgieter
Hammond
Arr
Adams (not a fringe player just to add)
Bower or Heem (Heem not a fringe either)

One player who I’ve just noticed is off contract at Glaws is Val Ruskin. I’d love him back here. Our front row was excellent when we had himself and Nick in it. If Jack leaves imagine a front row of Ruskin,Taufete’e and Schonert. Talk about power game..which we lack a little in the forwards

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/11/2018 08:56 by AJWarriors.

MESSAGES->author
22 November, 2018 09:45
What about, Barry, Phillips and of course Te'o

Millar??
Arr??
Baldwin??

Screech
Screech (IP Logged)
22 November, 2018 10:37
So my 8 candidates for leaving in order are:-
1.Adams
2.Heem
3.Potgeiter
4.Kirwan
5.Arr
6.Faosiliva
7.Baldwin
8.Cox

I don't believe Hammond will be off because he signed an undisclosed contract in Jan 2018 (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42873016) and probably senses his time is coming with Bryce and Adams most likely off. Other potential leavers could be Bower, Barry, Bresler and Du Preez (Injury enforced). On the stated 8 alone, I think the only two major losses are Adams and Heem. The other boys will be a loss but are very much "squad" players and aren't really pushing too hard for a starting berth.

So, these 8 we lose may be a blessing in disguise, more of an opportunity to free up some cash and enhance our strength in depth with more players pushing for first XV action in the Prem. On the 'other' potentials out of the top 8, I think losing Barry and Bresler would enable us to really improve upon our very average second row options (excluding Fatialofa and Phillips who could be cracking).

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
22 November, 2018 10:52
I'd add Teo to that list and take Potgieter off as he's already gone, alledgedly...

Screech
Screech (IP Logged)
22 November, 2018 11:42
Oh I thought Potgeiter was still on the payroll somehow! Ahah I forget Te'o played for Wuss winking smiley

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
22 November, 2018 11:49
Hmmm... that might depend on who you ask. Allegedly...

Suspect Teo was first out the door. That RP talk a few weeks back would have been agent speak and fishing for a deal somewhere or raising the price by suggesting that we were seeking to retain him.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
22 November, 2018 12:04
Quote:
Brummagem Bertie
I also loved Nick's quote about going to France and if he stays with us for another 5 years before he leaves I think he will go with every Warrior's fan's best wishes.

If Nick Schonert doesn't win the True Warrior award this year, there's something wrong.

MESSAGES->author
Powick Eastander (IP Logged)
22 November, 2018 12:16
As he is a committee favourite he may be in the running but he has been awarded recently (Sm100)

http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg Warriors Rugby Supporters Club http://v4admin.sportnetwork.net/upload/130/130_0_1418121803.jpg

Latecomer
Latecomer (IP Logged)
22 November, 2018 13:49
Quote:
Faithful_City
Millar??
Arr??
Baldwin??

Thought Baldwin signed a 3 year contract earlier this year ??

w4rriorz1980
w4rriorz1980 (IP Logged)
22 November, 2018 14:17
Quote:
Latecomer
Quote:
Faithful_City
Millar??
Arr??
Baldwin??

Thought Baldwin signed a 3 year contract earlier this year ??
He did IIRC.Miller hasn't played for us yet.Injured in pre-season.

Eats,Shoots And Leaves

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/11/2018 14:17 by w4rriorz1980.

ROLLO on tour
ROLLO (IP Logged)
22 November, 2018 18:45
The comment about the eight having signed contracts ( pre-contracts ? ) before Ged arrived could not have come for a higher source.

MESSAGES->author
22 November, 2018 20:48
The RSM

JP

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
23 November, 2018 10:11
SWO?

AJWarriors
AJWarriors (IP Logged)
23 November, 2018 12:54
If players are leaving then fair enough. I think we are all used to it by now. One thing that does enthuse me is that Solly and Rory recruit really well.

One thing I really hope we invest well in is the forwards. We need bigger/taller locks and back towers. Ted fits that mould perfectly,but I’ve just saw a stat saying we have the lowest lineout percentage in EUROPE! That’s shockin,but not surprising.

I think our tallest locks are all in the academy and the first team locks average 6’6 which in today’s terms isn’t really that tall. Adding onto that their weight isn’t great either in comparison to other teams.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net