rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

Brummagem Bertie
Replica shirts
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
22 November, 2018 08:20
I see that Lovell have jumped on a certain US custom bandwagon and have offers on replica shirts until Tuesday, online and in store. Adults' are down to £40 and children's down to £30.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

Latecomer
Re: Replica shirts
Latecomer (IP Logged)
23 November, 2018 14:49
Quote:
Brummagem Bertie
I see that Lovell have jumped on a certain US custom bandwagon and have offers on replica shirts until Tuesday, online and in store. Adults' are down to £40 and children's down to £30.

Almost sounds like you're singling Lovell out there BB ?
Black Friday is traditionally a sale day in the USA, following Thanksgiving Day.

Sadly the UK retail industry has picked up this excuse to con the consumer and we now have to endure virtual year round sales.
Unfortunately, for the most part, consumers are getting conned left, right and centre !!

Apologies if this is going slightly off topic ..........

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
23 November, 2018 15:29
Off topic is fine by me. Wiki has this to say about Black Friday:-
“The earliest evidence of the phrase Black Friday applied to the day after Thanksgiving in a shopping context suggests that the term originated in Philadelphia, where it was used to describe the heavy and disruptive pedestrian and vehicle traffic that would occur on the day after Thanksgiving. This usage dates to at least 1961.”

I suppose 1961 qualifies as “traditional “.

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
23 November, 2018 15:32
Ted, in the context of the USA I think anything pre-2000 qualifies as traditional.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

Abmatt
Abmatt (IP Logged)
23 November, 2018 15:56
Funnily enough I am currently watching the morning news I the USA, where the hot topic is the Black Friday ‘tradition’.

Some malls and outlet centres opened yesterday afternoon and will be open for at least 30hrs. They anticipate 1 trillion dollars will be spent this weekend.

Latecomer
Latecomer (IP Logged)
23 November, 2018 16:45
Quote:
TeflonTed
I suppose 1961 qualifies as “traditional “.

Thanks for the endorsment for my choice of word Ted !

As I type this response on the iPhone I’m heartened to see a Black Friday deal filling the right hand side of my screen .........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/11/2018 16:46 by Latecomer.

MESSAGES->author
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
23 November, 2018 17:58
Ah, tradition.

To drag the discussion vaguely back to a tenuous rugby connection, my favourite “traditional” Irish song is The Fields of Athenry, a ditty so deeply traditional that it goes all the way back to the mid 1970’s, when it was written by a bloke called Pete St John, and according to local legend in a pub in Inchicore, a slightly dodgy innner city area of Dublin.

The other slightly curious thing about it being adopted as arugby anthem is that it was Munster who started it’s use at Thomond Park, ignoring the inconvenient fact that Athenry is in Connacht.

MESSAGES->author
IanRed (IP Logged)
24 November, 2018 20:51
Much like the Scottish anthem "flower of Scotland" written by the Corries in the mid 60s.

Patgadd
Patgadd (IP Logged)
24 November, 2018 22:26
It was in a Wexford pub, the sort of place where musicians and singers come in and out and play as they please, that a gnarled old fisherman announced that he was going to sing Old John O'dreams, his favourite old Irish folk song. He sang it beautifully; in fact so beautifully that I couldn't bring myself to tell him it was written in the 70s by Sedgley's own Bill Caddick. (Wikipedia will tell you he was born in Jackfield, Shropshire, but that's Wikipedia for you).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net