rugbyunion
Latest News:
We are The Warriors! The Mighty Worcester Warriors!

This message board is for all things Warriors' and Rugby.
When posting please be aware that posts may be read by youngsters and respect other posters.
Click Here for the Message Board Rules

schneiderlein
It takes the Rugby Paper...
schneiderlein (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 08:43
...to explain what really happened on Friday night!

Apparently, we didn't win: Harlequins lost. Among the reasons for the result were that it "wasn't Quins' night"; the referee's "huge decision to penalise Joe Marler at the ruck" and the TMO's decision to "award [us] a try when nobody could see the ball being grounded"!

I humbly realise now how wrong I was in thinking that our victory had something to do with a superb defensive effort that completely nullified anything that Quins tried to throw at us combined with a couple of well taken valid tries and some pretty sound kicking!

Or am I being paranoid?

Du skal ikke tro at du er bedre end os!

Underdog
Re: It takes the Rugby Paper...
Underdog (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 08:54
Quins were poor and we weren't a lot better in my view (though certainly in defence), so it doesn't really bother me too much that this is the narrative on this occasion.

In general though it is an irritating trait of the press, especially since the story of almost all fairly close games in sporting history is that one side shows some weakness and the other takes advantage. No one ever plays a perfect game.

But it's easier to write about refereeing decisions or poor performance rather than analyse what the winning team did to secure the win I.e. our defensive speed and pattern.

Freypal
Freypal (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 08:58
I thought Worcester's defense was superb, which is evidenced by the only try for quins coming from an intercept rather than from sustained pressure. This despite the prolonged periods of quins possession in the Worcester half. Worcester handling errors were poor throughout though.

End of the day, the facts are that Worcester now have 3 wins from 8 in the league which could quite easily have been 5 from 8. And on top of that no humiliations in defeat. Things are finally coming together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/11/2018 08:59 by Freypal.

Offa
Offa (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 09:22
Quins can be spectacular or bl00dy awful. We can be exactly the same. On this occasion Quins were the latter, our defence outstanding and our attack greatly misfiring.

For me it is real progress that we won with a struggling attack and little possession or territory.

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 10:06
Quote:
schniederlein
Among the reasons for the result were that it "wasn't Quins' night"; the referee's "huge decision to penalise Joe Marler at the ruck" and the TMO's decision to "award [us] a try when nobody could see the ball being grounded"!

That sounds exactly like Paul Gustard's comments to the press post-match: did TRP just let him write the report?

Whatever you do, do it safely!

MESSAGES->author
Fiver (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 10:07
It was interesting watching the highlights last night as at the time Mills' try was awarded, Ugo went mad about it. A minute later he apologised as he'd heard why the try was given and had to concede it was a correct decision.

The highlights did miss the Marler pull back, so I'll have to wait until the full game is up tomorrow to watch. We did get to see the penalty awarded against our scrum which gave Quins the bonus point. The pundits said it could have gone either way. That was the third scrum penalty of the night given against us on our own put in, before the ball was put in. Excuse me, I'm an ex-back, but I didn't think you're allowed to push before the ball goes in.

They also edited Gustard so it looks like he was gracious in defeat. No mention of the referee at all.

In all I expect Worcester to be ignored. There are only a couple of pundits out there who acknowledge us and they weren't at the game.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/11/2018 10:08 by Fiver.

usa warrior
usa warrior (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 10:18
Full game is on the BT sport app already if you wanted to watch it. Including full post-game interviews. Gustard was NOT gracious in defeat...

Pull back was cynical, but a debatable decision. Seen them given both ways, but calls went our way for a change.

Brummagem Bertie
Brummagem Bertie (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 10:18
On your last point Fiver, it will be interesting to hear Mr Flatman's view on the Channel 5 highlights tomorrow.

Whatever you do, do it safely!

Devonianwarrior
Devonianwarrior (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 10:27
I thought Marler holding onto to Chris is like speeding on the motorway, a lot of people get away with it but if you are caught it is illegal and you can't complain.

Old Col
Old Col (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 10:48
Brilliant. Quins "left points out there"-jolly decent of them .The referee was not at fault when awarding penalties against us but was blatantly wrong when awarding them against Quins. Marler is a saint and totally misjudged . The try wasn't a try .Well even if it was not we still had an easy penalty and Quins would still have lost. Oh no! they would have come back and got the last ditch win. I would really like to thank Gustard and the media for making it so clear why they had really won---and thanks for the laugh !

Offa
Offa (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 12:10
Even if Marler wasn't pinged, the attacking Quin had a defender in his path. Gustard made it sound like it would have been a walk in.

Eternal optimist
Eternal optimist (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 12:47
It as obviously Gustards comments that annoyed Omar and resulted in his tweet on being gracious in defeat.
Our current management team seam to be “old school” which is fine by me.

Malvern Man
Malvern Man (IP Logged)
25 November, 2018 14:09
Remember also that when Ryan Mills scored the Torso Try, we had a penalty advantage. If the try had been denied there would have been a kick to touch and very likely a repeat of the first half scoring maul.

GnB
GnB (IP Logged)
26 November, 2018 11:31
In fact there were 2 penalty signals on the 5 metre line. While the TMO was reviewing we were debating whether it was possible (though obviously unlikely) to award a try and 2 yellow cards.

Perhaps Quins were lucky that we were adjudged to have scored

Inbox
Inbox (IP Logged)
27 November, 2018 18:21
Let’s take the words of authority; Flats declared it a Try for reasons why it was given (on BT highlights).

Mr Gustard inadvertently praised how good our defence was by stating that Quins had 60% possession, and large parts spent in our half and they still lost!

And going back to “Authority” - Flats admitted that the season is tight and no one knows how relegation will pan out highlighting Warriors are playing poorly and still winning...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net